Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 17:39   #61
BHPian

Road Tax Refund

I moved to Hyderabad on 16th September 2008 from NOIDA. I got my car in the first week of November 2008 and as per the law in Andhra Pradesh I paid life-time tax (around Rs.40K), I told the RTA inspector that I might not be staying here too long, so he said that I would require NOC from home state for a refund,

I got the NOC from NOIDA RTO on 19th January 2009, and came to know that I will have to get the car registered since the car is no longer registered anywhere (as told to me by my NOIDA RTO agent)

Could you please tell me how can I get the refund of the road tax I paid for A.P ?

I am into a fix -
  • If I do not get the car registered the NOC will expire in 90 days and then I will have to get a new one
  • If I get a car registered here and plan to move say by September/November I will have to do the entire exercise of getting the NOC from my financing bank, etc etc
Any help in this regards will be highly appreciated because I am kind of very very frustated
Old 6th February 2009, 18:11   #62
BHPian

I think your Noida RTO agent is wrong. NOC doesn't cancel's your original registration unless the rule is different in UP. NOC is to verify that your car doesn't have any any pending liabilities or penalities at your registered original RTO. Since you have already paid tax in AP, you can register it in AP with registration fees(shouldn't be more than Rs 1000-2000) and claim refund in Noida RTO by giving copies of AP registration. But if you again have to go back to Noida after a short time you have to take NOC in AP, register it in Noida and claim refund in AP.

Second option is to forget about your 40000, use your car in AP with Noida numbers and if AP RTO catches you, show AP tax document. When you go back to Noida, cancel the NOC you have taken. Noida RTO will definitely charge you for cancellation of NOC.
Old 6th February 2009, 19:57   #63
BHPian

@Rach - ya the NOIDA agent might be wrong, but forgetting about 40,000 is easier said than done

Any other suggestions??
Old 7th February 2009, 00:54   #64
BHPian

How about Swapping Cars ?!?

I have recently moved back to Bangalore from Hyderabad, and moved my Hyderabad registered Palio to Bangalore. I got stopped by the Bangalore police 4-times on one day in the past 3 months. (I guess my day was bad !!)

However, i just thought of an idea that can help save precious moolah..

How about swapping cars? I know it is difficult to part away with your car after owning it for a few years (sniff !!) but then spending Rs 35000/- to Rs 40,000/- isn't a great idea either.

I was wondering if any of the TBHP-members is moving or relocating to Hyderabad/ AP.
I would be interested in swapping my Palio with another Palio/ Accent/ Swift.

Its a tough but sensible option, i believe.

Incase anybody is interested let me know.
Old 7th February 2009, 10:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
@Rach - ya the NOIDA agent might be wrong, but forgetting about 40,000 is easier said than done

Any other suggestions??

Since you already have the NOC from NOIDA and already paid road tax in AP, register your vehicle in AP and claim refund from NOIDA RTO.

Reverse the process, if and when you move back to NOIDA.
Old 7th February 2009, 14:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Since you already have the NOC from NOIDA and already paid road tax in AP, register your vehicle in AP and claim refund from NOIDA RTO.

Reverse the process, if and when you move back to NOIDA.

Dude, Claiming any kind of refund from the government ain't an easy job. You will spend almost 3-4 months visiting government offices and burn fuel, time as well as your energy going around these babu's for refunds.

I asked Hyderabad RTO as to how much tax refund i can claim back from hyderabad after i get my car registered in bangalore. The fellow told me upfront that its not worth the effort, you will get 3% of the amount back. By the time, i sought clarification as to 3% of the car value or 3% of the tax amount paid, he had moved on to answer another gentleman..

Again repeating my earlier post here. The best way out is to find someone who is relocating the other way and swap cars provided you get a good deal. I think there should be no dearth of people considering the fact that the moving population in the country has been on the rise since the past 10-12 years, the trick is to find the right guy.
Old 7th February 2009, 14:15   #67
BHPian

What is the charges or rules for cars being brought from other states,in mumbai ?

What could be the road tax & other expenses if the car is a vintage one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th February 2009, 14:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
Dude, Claiming any kind of refund from the government ain't an easy job. You will spend almost 3-4 months visiting government offices and burn fuel, time as well as your energy going around these babu's for refunds.
I am aware of that but since he has already paid up at both RTO's, does he have an option.

The exchange system you are suggesting, might not be feasible, knowing human nature.
Old 7th February 2009, 15:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I am aware of that but since he has already paid up at both RTO's, does he have an option.
Oh maybe i missed that part of having paid up at both the RTOs. (I still wonder why people do that...) The government doesn't care a hoot for rules when charging you with taxes. I give up 1/3rd of my income in the way of taxes and the government still wants more in terms of Road Tax, entertainment tax and a bunch of other taxes plus surcharges..

Quote:
The exchange system you are suggesting, might not be feasible, knowing human nature.
Gee, i would be very glad to hear about the infeasible points for the car-exchange (Swap) system. I don't think it is illegal though. Normally, i wouldn't give away my car. but Rs 40,000/- plus as road tax makes me think twice.

The USP is that one gets a Car for a Car, Save on the Road Taxes and avoid the hassles of policemen and RTO questioning us at every nook and corner for driving an out of state vehicle (as if it were a crime).. If the government is not willing to budge, we've got to find some alternate ways to save our hard earned money in these times of recession.. Right??

I am not recommending anybody to put on a fake number plate and drive in the city, that would be illegal.
Old 9th February 2009, 11:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post

I asked Hyderabad RTO as to how much tax refund i can claim back from hyderabad after i get my car registered in bangalore. The fellow told me upfront that its not worth the effort, you will get 3% of the amount back. By the time, i sought clarification as to 3% of the car value or 3% of the tax amount paid, he had moved on to answer another gentleman..

Again repeating my earlier post here. The best way out is to find someone who is relocating the other way and swap cars provided you get a good deal. I think there should be no dearth of people considering the fact that the moving population in the country has been on the rise since the past 10-12 years, the trick is to find the right guy.
The best way to get information is by invoking the Right To Information Act and get whatever information you want in writing, generally these babus give false information because they have to do work
Old 10th February 2009, 20:17   #71
BHPian

Hi guys,

I went to meet the Road Transport Officer (not the inspectors etc), he heads the RTO of the region.

First I was quite impressed by the approachability of the person, one knock on the office door, and I was called in.

He told me to get the car registered in AP (since I have all the docs) and then when I go back take the NOC from here get it registered in north and then fill some forms for the refund.

I read in a post in this thread that a RTA babu told one of the member here that only 3% is returned, I confirmed this with the officer about this, he said that the tax would be returned after deducting 8% per annum from the tax paid, so for example I paid Rs.40,000, if I take is back after one year they will deduct Rs.3200 and return the balance, and so on.

Now why this thing is unique in Hyderabad (or infact AP) that the RTA guys catch and force you to pay, because people from all over the country come here live for 2-3 years or even more without paying the tax, plus people buy expensive cars get them registered else where and drive it in AP (again to evade tax)

Within one month no one can touch you, just make sure you have some sort of government paper to prove your date of entry in the state, generally you can visit any RTA for your area and ask the RTO to help you in this.

I will post some more information on this tomorrow
Old 11th February 2009, 14:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

I went to meet the Road Transport Officer (not the inspectors etc), he heads the RTO of the region.

-----
Within one month no one can touch you, just make sure you have some sort of government paper to prove your date of entry in the state, generally you can visit any RTA for your area and ask the RTO to help you in this.

Thanks for this info. But how does a guy working in a private company get a government paper to prove date of entry into the state? Won't toll gate receipts of fuel bills suffice?
Old 12th February 2009, 00:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

First I was quite impressed by the approachability of the person, one knock on the office door, and I was called in.

He told me to get the car registered in AP (since I have all the docs) and then when I go back take the NOC from here get it registered in north and then fill some forms for the refund.

I read in a post in this thread that a RTA babu told one of the member here that only 3% is returned, I confirmed this with the officer about this, he said that the tax would be returned after deducting 8% per annum from the tax paid, so for example I paid Rs.40,000, if I take is back after one year they will deduct Rs.3200 and return the balance, and so on.

Now why this thing is unique in Hyderabad (or infact AP) that the RTA guys catch and force you to pay, because people from all over the country come here live for 2-3 years or even more without paying the tax, plus people buy expensive cars get them registered else where and drive it in AP (again to evade tax)

This is very interesting indeed. I was the one who had posted the 3% refund information.

I have an (Secunderabad, AP) registered vehicle, which i want to register elsewhere (Bangalore, KA) since my vehicle is 6 years old now, i lose approximately Rs 3,200 x 6 = 19,200 which is approximately half the amount and i can claim the balance amount. This sounds very good.

Can you also check about the time-frame for the process? I mean if the process takes upto 2-3 months i am fine. But what if it takes longer??
Old 12th February 2009, 11:07   #74
BHPian

The process is as follows (will make you guess timelines)

Step 1 - Get NOC from ur AP RTA, Secundrabad (1 week)

Step 2 - Take the car to Banglore and get it registered there (45 days, because as a mandate the Banglore RTA will send a letter about your car to your AP RTA for response, in case there is no response, generally there is non, they will register your car after the mandate waiting period 30-45 days, till then drive carrying the receipt)

Step 3 - Take the Banglore KA registration certificate, road tax receipt copy to the Secundrabad RTA for refund

Step 4 - In about 1 month time they will refund the balance amount via cheque
Old 18th May 2009, 19:01   #75
BHPian

I've recently shifted to Pune as I took a job here. I want to bring one of our cars from back home in Delhi. I have two options either a 2008 model fiesta petrol or a 2004 santro. I'm thinking of getting the santro because I'll have to pay less road tax and I also think the fiesta would be better off serving my parents back home.

The only problem is that the santro is registered in my mother's name. As far as I understand for re-registration an address proof would be required in my mother's name but I won't be able to supply that :(

Now I have the following options
  1. Pay the road tax now, run the car with Delhi registration till I can find a way to get it registered or till I move out of Pune(You never know with IT jobs).
  2. Get the car re-registered in my name in Delhi and then bring it here (but that would make the owner serial number 2)
  3. Sell the santro in Delhi and buy a used car in similar condition here (least preferred option as I would really hate to sell the car as I'm really attached to it and it's in great shape)
  4. Pay significantly more road tax and get the Ford here since it's registered in my name.
What do you guys suggest in this situation?

Last edited by zuch : 18th May 2009 at 19:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks