Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2019, 07:50   #781
Senior - BHPian

re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityarobb View Post
We would be travelling to Mumbai back & forth every six months in this car to visit dad, so maintaining toll receipts/PUC will not be an issue.
Just tell them that it is a company car belonging to your father who is visiting from Mumbai. Don't paste any local stickers (apartment or office parking) on the vehicle.

The other option is you can buy a car locally and your father can surrender the car to his Mumbai office and claim some other allowance in lieu of it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 09:00   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityarobb View Post
Hello guys,

My dad got transferred from Hyderabad to Mumbai upon his job promotion and was provided with a new MH registered car (corporate registration) in November'19. He does not intend to use the car in Mumbai because i) He is stays about 500 meters away from his office. ii) Exorbitant parking rent in his locality. iii) Mumbai traffic.

So, we will be using the car in Hyderabad but cannot re-register the car and change the registration number up to 5 years after which the car will to transferred to my father.

1) What will be our options in using the vehicle in Hyderabad without any nuisance from the cops?

2) Can we use the MH registered vehicle without paying the road tax again here in Hyderabad?

We would be travelling to Mumbai back & forth every six months in this car to visit dad, so maintaining toll receipts/PUC will not be an issue.

Guys! I need help regarding this issue.

Thanks & regards,
robb.
Here in Hyderabad in and around Gachibowli area I have not seen cops harassing the out of state cars.
With toll receipts and PUC, you should not have any problem even if stopped by cops. You could always say that you are here on Temporary job assignment or something.
In any case you are allowed to use the car for 11 months in another state.

I would say try it out and in case you feel like you are being stopped too often by the cops, you can always just pay the road tax here without re-registeration. Would still be cheaper than buying a new car.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:38   #783

Hi, I am planning to buy a new car from Rajasthan and want to get it registered in Kalyan. I have moved and settled in Mumbai. Reason being good discount I am getting on the car from my dealer there. I have following queries:
  1. Can I drive that car on temp registration from Ajmer to Kalyan?
  2. How can I get the same registered here in Kalyan (MH05)?
  3. Will RTO charge road tax on invoice amount or the Ex showroom mentioned on company website?
  4. What documents can I get from Rajasthan dealer and their local RTO to get it registered in Kalyan?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th November 2019 at 14:49. Reason: Fixed typos, punctuation and list formatting. Please proof-read your posts before submitting.
Old 8th March 2020, 13:23   #784
BHPian

Has anyone applied for a road tax refund in Faridabad (or any other in Haryana) RTO?

Any agent I call for road tax refund says that it is not possible.

So wanted to check out the possible ways in which I can get the refund with minimum hassle.
Old 9th March 2020, 07:58   #785
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a query.
I have moved abroad and want to transfer registration of my car from Pune to Kerala. Issue is I don't have an address proof in Kerala.

How to do the transfer in such a case?
Old 7th June 2020, 15:27   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does the pro-rata thing work ? How was it in KA when you had moved your car from Chennai ?
It works fine. I had to pay around 81% of the tax. See the table mentioned on page 11 of this pdf.

https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/s...20Schedule.pdf
Old 7th June 2020, 18:07   #787
Distinguished - BHPian

For using an out of state car in KA, can I just pay the road tax and opt to keep my existing registration number? Has anyone done this?

Also can I pay the road tax online or do I have to visit the RTO office?
Old 7th June 2020, 19:06   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
For using an out of state car in KA, can I just pay the road tax and opt to keep my existing registration number? Has anyone done this?

Also can I pay the road tax online or do I have to visit the RTO office?
Road tax is paid online on the parivahan site, but there are still some steps to be done with the police (for a NOC, basically a certificate that the car isn't stolen, subject to court proceedings aka supardari etc), and then with the RTO.

You are welcome to keep your out of state number, but with that setup you will not get any refund of your previous state's road tax, and still pay lifetime tax pro rated in karnataka.
Old 7th June 2020, 21:33   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It works fine. I had to pay around 81% of the tax. See the table mentioned on page 11 of this pdf.

https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/s...20Schedule.pdf
Thanks for sharing the pdf.
Here's a short summary of tax I paid while transferring my Scross from HR to KA.
Extra VAT was applied here in Bangalore, don't know why. Rest of the things as per the structure given in pdf.

Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-screenshot-20200607-9.29.18-pm.png
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 19:12   #790
BHPian

Buying BS4 car from out of state. Is it possible to re-register?

Mod note: Please use Search feature of the forum before opening a new thread, post merged. Thanks.

Hello fellow motorheads!

I have my eye on a rather niche car that is currently registered in TN (Coimbatore). I stay in Bangalore and plan to get the registration transferred on buying it.

My main question is: Is it possible to re-register a used out-of-state BS4 car in Karnataka now (Jun 2020)?

I did try searching for it here as well as on google but could not find a clear answer.

Thanks in advance. If everything goes well, I'll definitely do a post on my entire experience as well as the special new car.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th June 2020 at 20:03.
batladanny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 20:29   #791
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying BS4 car from out of state. Is it possible to re-register?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
My main question is: Is it possible to re-register a used out-of-state BS4 car in Karnataka now (Jun 2020)?

I did try searching for it here as well as on google but could not find a clear answer.

Thanks in advance. If everything goes well, I'll definitely do a post on my entire experience as well as the special new car.
Only new BS4 cars can't be registered. Old BS3 and BS4 can certainly be re-registered till their FC but won't get their FC renewed, and will have to be scrapped.
Old 19th June 2020, 22:29   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Only new BS4 cars can't be registered. Old BS3 and BS4 can certainly be re-registered till their FC but won't get their FC renewed, and will have to be scrapped.
Thanks hserus.

That is certainly a load off my mind
Old 20th June 2020, 01:54   #793
BHPian

Quote:
As per my knowledge there is no law at the moment which states that old BS3/BS4 vehicle's registration cannot be renewed. It can renewed indefinitely as long as the department inspection deems it be road worthy.

There is only one place where you cannot re-new, that is NCR. That is also based on the age of the vehicle rather than the emissions regime. You cannot renews registration of a 10 year old diesel or a 15 year old petrol irrespective of the BS version.

Last edited by JediKnight : 20th June 2020 at 01:58.
Old 20th June 2020, 05:07   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
As per my knowledge there is no law at the moment which states that old BS3/BS4 vehicle's registration cannot be renewed. It can renewed indefinitely as long as the department inspection deems it be road worthy.
https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ster-24217.htm
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:31   #795
BHPian

Quote:
This was just a statement made by the Finance Minister to allay rumors that Bs-4 cars wont be allowed to run past April 2020. She just stated the existing rule nothing else. As per my knowledge, members can correct me otherwise, there was no change in rule regarding renewal registration. There may be some changes after the vehicle scrappage policy is introduced. But as of the time of this writing you can renew the registration of your Bs3/Bs4 vechicle after 15 years. ( except NCR )
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed