Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 20:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion > Bring your Santro to Pune and drive it with your DL plates. Do not bother about the road tax. As and when you are caught(which could be from 1 day to 5years or infinity) go ahead and pay the road tax and do the necessary paperwork. Until then.. just drive.
Old 29th May 2009, 14:18   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
My suggestion > Bring your Santro to Pune and drive it with your DL plates. Do not bother about the road tax. As and when you are caught(which could be from 1 day to 5years or infinity) go ahead and pay the road tax and do the necessary paperwork. Until then.. just drive.
I decided to go with jay's suggestion and got my santro to Pune. The car has just arrived and been delivered to my office address. I'm yet to take it out.

Will update about the experience of getting the car re-registered / paying road tax as things progress.

I hope I can ride a few days without being harassed by cops. My office is in Hinjewadi and there are a lot of traffic cops at the entrance to Hinjewadi looking for IT professionals with out of state registered cars so that they can make some pocket money.
Old 6th November 2009, 07:14   #78
BHPian

Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but I have been hearing that there is a case filed with the Supreme Court of India against double taxation of motor vehicles in different parts of the country and these days even the RTO is not bothering a lot with out of state vehicles. Is this true?

Can somebody point me to the relevant link/ site. I would want to take a print of the supreme courts directives and keep a copy in my car.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:33   #79
Team-BHP Support

A friend of mine relocated from Hyderabad to Delhi.
The car is now registered in Delhi. And now he would like to get the Road Tax paid in Hyderabad refunded.

Can someone please provide contact information for an agent.

Thanks in Advance,
Imran
Old 17th February 2010, 13:38   #80
Senior - BHPian

Transferred car but no Reg Number

I have transferred by car from original state to K. R. Puram, Bangalore RTO. I have paid hefty 21,600/- Tax + Rs. 861/- Fine for not paying tax within 1 month from the date of NOC issued. Car is 6 years old Maruti 800 AC.

First, I paid the tax and then sent back NOC to home state for some correction in name, as RTO was not accepting that NOC. When NOC came back I went again RTO and submitted the "Change of Address" form along with Form 23 "Registration of Vehicle". Now everything is transferred but RTO informed that, I will not get KA Registration number now. I have to wait for another 11 Months for Karnataka Registration Number. They said they will again send my submitted NOC information to my home state RTO for confirmation and after that they will give me new Registration Number. Is this is the rule?

With all sort of headache, I managed to do this myself in K. R. Puram, RTO by just paying Rs. 120 fees for Address Change. Agents were asking 1300 - 1500 for this task. But be ready with all documents and harassment. I paid tax also myself. The last procedure of "Change of Address" is vehicle inspection by Inspector. While inspecting he asked me to open bonnet. There was little dirt in engine compartment as I generally do not wash engine compartment, since there are many electrical components present. Outer body washed and cleaned almost everyday.

He said, how dirty engine you keep, How can I inspect? It was not that dirty. Then again he asked me take pencil imprint of chasis number on paper. I had it ready, When I shown it to him, he said some digit "4" is not readable (Even guy with Shortsightedness problem can read that easily), take imprint again. I was like @#!!@$. After that he was vanished. I do not know where. At last, I pasted same imprint on form and approached another inspector after 2 hours, as there were no inspectors present. He asked, Anybody inspected already? I told him, Mr. XYZ inspected after that he went away. Another inspector looks like little courteous, and gave the form to Clerk for stamping.

But final twist was remaining. Clerk said after stamping, that first inspector has to sign, second one could not. He gave form to first inspector (By the time he again appeared, do not know from where after 2 and half hours) who inspected vehicle first. He came again to me where is your new pencil imprint, I said I pasted there. He was like, I told you to paste here but you pasted somewhere else, I said vertically you pasted horizontally, blah blah. Then he said did you use old one. I said, yes. He said, see number "7" is not visible. . Earlier he told, Number "4" was not visible". Now number "7". I do not know what happened to him after 10 minutes, he signed the document then I submitted to superintendent. Even, if you are ready with all sorts of document, be ready for harassment and time pass. It took whole day of mine. 9:30 AM I started from home and came back at 4:30 PM. This happened as I did not go through Agent.

Superintendent of K. R. Puram, RTO, is courteous guy if you approach him softly. Otherwise he is as rude as anyone.

Moral of the story: Do not loose your cool, keep smiling, always call them "Sir". Be ready for some "Merry go around" for some **** papers and xerox, and keep loads of your time at hand. With this you can do you work in any government office without "Bribe". Always fill section in form which in not not applicable in your case as -NA-, even for this you will loose your queue and have to start again.
Old 24th April 2010, 15:11   #81

A new twist on the Road Tax tale in Hyderabad

I brought my Delhi plated OHC'98 to Hyderabad with the understanding that I would need to pay 1% car value (as per Road Tax schedule) as Lifetime Road Tax, and would need the tax receipt in case I ever got stopped. Based on my internet research I had an invoice, RC, Insurance and PUC and approached the RTA. Imagine my surprise when they asked for an NOC - the person at the counter claimed that as of January 2010 an NOC is required to pay lifetime tax even if I am not registering the car in Hyderabad.

Has anyone else faced this problem? I found no mention of this on the RTA website or in any forum posts.

Thx,
~foodie
Old 29th April 2010, 12:20   #82
BHPian

Hello people!!

I am temporarily moving to Hyderabad. May be for 5-6 months.
I have a RJ (rajasthan) registration bike, which I am using in Pune for the past 4 months. I haven't faced any issues until now and have only been stopped once by traffic cops. I got away by paying around 500 bucks.

I have heard that traffic cops are really strict in Hyderabad. There is a lot of checking at a lot of places and they don't allow anyone to getaway. In many cases, they seize the vehicle as well.
My question is "whether it is advisable to take my bike to Hyderabad?"

TIA
Old 4th May 2010, 10:53   #83
BHPian

people!!
please please. any amount of suggestions/help would really help make up my mind.

right now i am considering sending my bike back to my home state and sell it there. and buy a second hand vehicle in hyderabad and use it for whatever duration i am there.
but again. what when i come back to pune?
Old 4th May 2010, 11:57   #84
BHPian

You are lucky to have escaped in Pune.

In Hyd you'll not be so lucky. Cops will keep harassing you every other day and will confiscate your RC Book or DL. Prepare to pay lifetime road tax here if you bring your bike (will be upto 4-5K for bike).

Else don't bring and buy a second hand here. Whn u go back to Pune, buy another second hand there

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslambhai View Post
people!!
please please. any amount of suggestions/help would really help make up my mind.

right now i am considering sending my bike back to my home state and sell it there. and buy a second hand vehicle in hyderabad and use it for whatever duration i am there.
but again. what when i come back to pune?
Old 4th May 2010, 12:04   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but I have been hearing that there is a case filed with the Supreme Court of India against double taxation of motor vehicles in different parts of the country and these days even the RTO is not bothering a lot with out of state vehicles. Is this true?

Can somebody point me to the relevant link/ site. I would want to take a print of the supreme courts directives and keep a copy in my car.
This was being buried. I know the NDA govt wanted a legislation on these lines. I am glad if someone has moved the Supreme court, and look forward to the details. I am sure that given the honesty of our RTOs they are quite often cashing the Tax and keeping the moolah.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:40   #86
BHPian

Gentlemen,
Sorry for the OT question: (This may or may not relevant here, please shift this if not appropriate).
I will driving down a friend's TN registered i10 from CHN to Vijayawada. My friend will not be present with me but will collect the vehicle at VJA to drive further to HYD.
Q) Now, at the border (or on any parts of GQ) do I have to be extra cautious, considering that the owner will not be traveling along with me? Ofcourse, I will be carrying all the documents, including a letter from owner, with me.
A journey of just 7-8 hours, will all this matter?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th May 2010, 18:52   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
Q) Now, at the border (or on any parts of GQ) do I have to be extra cautious, considering that the owner will not be traveling along with me? Ofcourse, I will be carrying all the documents, including a letter from owner, with me. A journey of just 7-8 hours, will all this matter?
I have driven across KA, TN and AP many times and have not faced any problem so far at the borders. The private vehicle owners do not have to pay anything when he is just visiting the other state. Make sure you have the original documents and that should be good enough for 7-8 hours journey.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
I have driven across KA, TN and AP many times and have not faced any problem so far at the borders. The private vehicle owners do not have to pay anything when he is just visiting the other state. Make sure you have the original documents and that should be good enough for 7-8 hours journey.
Thanks for the response highsteem. The vehicle belongs to a friend, he will pick it up in Vijayawada. I will be driving it down all alone from CHN to VJA. Though I do not see any problem but still wanted to get some opinion whether to take any precautions. Yes, I will be carrying all original docs.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:40   #89
BHPian

no problem at all Busyboykk. There are a lot of people who regularly do intercity travel. Just keep the fuel bills from Chennai in case they stop the car.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
no problem at all Busyboykk. There are a lot of people who regularly do intercity travel. Just keep the fuel bills from Chennai in case they stop the car.
Thanks for the reply Rahul, that should bring my anxiety down. Will ensure I carry fuel bills and other proofs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks