Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 16:59   #91
BHPian

Can someone help me with the following questions?

1) Can I buy a car from DL, and take it to MH with a temp number (valid for 1 month), and then register my car in MH?
2) Do I still need to pay "entry tax", even though VAT is included in the ex-showroom price?
3) What % is the "entry tax"? Do I also need to pay "Octroi" (and %)? Apart from registration cost!
4) Is it thus advisable to purchase a car from MH rather!?
5) I want to finance my purchase from Delhi. Is it possible to hypothecate in DL, and get the car registered in MH? Do I then need to have a NOC from the lending bank?

I had posted this question elsewhere, sorry for a re-post...
Old 8th May 2010, 13:41   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
Can I buy a car from DL, and take it to MH with a temp number (valid for 1 month), and then register my car in MH?
If this method was substantially cheaper, you think others wouldn't have been using it already?

Remember, cars are the cheapest in Delhi because of the lower tax structure, in comparison to MH / KA etc. Yes, you will have to pay entry tax, octroi, MH road taxes etc. to register the car to an MH address. Plus, there's the cost of transportation from Delhi to Mumbai which will probably make the deal more expensive than buying from from Mumbai itself.

Quote:
I had posted this question elsewhere, sorry for a re-post...
Please do NOT cross-post the same query in multiple threads; this is considered as spamming. Your post in the other thread has been deleted.
Old 8th May 2010, 16:43   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I don't know about Maharashtra and states in South but it is possible in North Indian states. I have bought Cars from Haryana and registered in Chandigarh, like wisely i have got Delhi bought cars registered in Haryana.
Old 18th July 2010, 20:34   #94
BHPian

Need help: shifting car from Hyd to B'lore.

I've relocated from Hyderabad to Bangalore, will be here for atleast 6+years for sure, I'm yet to get my car from Hyderabad, and I want to use AP number. what needs to be done to ensure hassle free driving.

If I pay road tax, can I use Ap number or do I have to register the car with KA RTO?

Details: Santro Xing - 2007 model
Old 18th July 2010, 20:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

There is no point getting your car here, converting it to KA reg and using it. The cost involved is just too much. You are better off leaving it there only.
Old 19th July 2010, 00:39   #96
BHPian

My sister is driving an AP reg car in B'lore for the past 5 yrs . The first few yrs she never faced any hassles from cops and had never been stopped cause of the reg .

Things have changed the past 18months though and the frequency of cops stopping her to check for papers mounted close to 4 times a month !

Initially , she got over the problem by showing petrol bills from AP and declaring that she's visitor. But once the frequency increased , the car and face was so recognizable to the cops in her regular routes , so her bluff was called and only a chuckle and grin helped her sneak past getting the car confiscated. Hence, the KA road tax is paid now but the number change hasn't been applied for yet.

One thing she figured out was that just a flash of the papers through the windscreen would convince them and they'd let her pass. Alas, she only wishes she tried this trick before shelling out and getting a few thrills and a couple months more.

So take your pick as to which part of the experience you want as the beginning of yours . Mind you that the Road tax is not cheap . We bought a 2nd hand Accent for 3Lac 5 yrs ago and she still paid up 40k on tax last yr if i remember the figures right.
Old 19th July 2010, 02:46   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We bought a 2nd hand Accent for 3Lac 5 yrs ago and she still paid up 40k on tax last yr if i remember the figures right
IIRC, one doesn't have to pay the entire road tax & only the difference needs to be paid. For example, if the KA road tax is about 8% & AP is about 10%, one needs to pay the difference of 2%. Atleast this what I was being told when I bought an RX from KL to TN a decade ago.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:47   #98
Senior - BHPian

If i am not wrong, you will end up paying a decent amount close to 40k considering the invoice value as 3.5 lakhs.This includes Road tax, getting NOC here, inspection charges in bangalore and the agent stuff etc.

Please take the car to bangalore and drive without much of hassles.I have seen many cars plying in Bangalore which are not from Karnataka.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:55   #99
BHPian

I've been to the Bangalore RTO (Near EC) during January 2010 to pay taxes for my out of station vehicle. I was sent to a senior official to evaluate the taxes but surprisingly he asked me to come after 1 year since according to him the rules has changed and it is required to pay taxes only after 1 year of arrival in Karnataka.

He also mentioned that it is not possible to pay just the KA taxes but the number also should be changed to KA plate at that time.

Two other friends had similar experience at the same RTO.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:04   #100
BHPian

Road Tax - Refund

Guys, I have a query. My friend had bought a car in Bangalore and he had paid the road tax for Karnataka. Now he has moved to Hyderabad for good and they have asked him to pay the road tax for Andra Pradesh. Is there any way he can get the refund for what he paid in Karnataka?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd September 2010 at 18:32. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 9th September 2010, 14:58   #101
BHPian

Guys, I am moving to Pune end of the month and need advice on what would be my Tax implications to register my Dec 2007 Wagon R Vxi. Also my car transporter has mentioned that Octroi is extra. Will Octroi needed to be paid when the car crosses MH border or when tax is paid?
Old 9th September 2010, 16:36   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Guys, I have a query. My friend had bought a car in Bangalore and he had paid the road tax for Karnataka. Now he has moved to Hyderabad for good and they have asked him to pay the road tax for Andra Pradesh. Is there any way he can get the refund for what he paid in Karnataka?

Thanks in advance.
No, i don't think so.

I will help your friend with the RTO stuff as i know some one in RTO.

PM if in case your friend needs help.

Regards,

SILVERWOOD
Old 9th September 2010, 17:21   #103
BHPian

What a mess

I was contemplating selling my 7 year old Pulsar(bought in Calcutta, now in Hyd), to a school-friend who is now studying in Bangalore. But after all the horror stories, mostly in Hyd and Blore, I'm vary of selling it to him. I do have an old NOC for Tumkur(karnataka) but not sure if it will be valid now.

In fact if he has to shell out cash for road tax in Blore, i dont think he will be interested to buy the bike at all. We had planned that the only expenses involved would be a ownership transfer fee for the paperwork and agent(Rs1000??).

I had the idea that the cops only ask for an NOC. But here ppl are saying that without the road tax paid, vehicles are confiscated!!

Some ppl have spoken about a new rule where it would be a one time cost of road tax, that would be valid anywhere in the country. Now even if it was higher than what we pay now, most ppl would agree it makes a lot of sense compared to the horrors of migrating all over India, especially for the highly mobile IT folks.

I am even rethinking my plans of purchasing a car now(in Hyd) as I'm not sure how long I would stay here. A Rs 40,000 of additional road tax in another state is ridiculous, when we all know the chances of getting tax refunds from the parent state.

There has to be some regulation in place; times are changing - too many ppl are moving across the country.

And all we do is pay bribes to the cops. We dont have a choice.

I feel infuriated at the daily sights of cops harassing bikers all over the state. Fought with a bunch of cops one day after purchasing a bike here in AP, when i had all papers.

Sure, all these checks and the NOC stuff is in place to prevent motor-theft but the pain to ppl in general is way too much. This must stop!

Think of the ppl in the US for whom traveling across cities is such a pleasure...
Old 19th September 2010, 20:39   #104
BHPian

Hello all,
I will be moving to Pune by the end of this month, and will be transporting my motorcycle (KA-03 regd.) there. I will be in Pune for approx 1 year. In this regard, could someone elaborate on the documentation required for the use of my bike there?
As far as I have understood from a few friends using out-of-state bikes in Pune, I need an NOC from my home RTO, and payment of tax for 1 year at the Pune RTO. Somehow, that sounds a bit too simple. Anyone who knows the correct process? Wouldnt really want to re-register the vehicle, etc.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 19th September 2010, 20:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Hello all,
I will be moving to Pune by the end of this month, and will be transporting my motorcycle (KA-03 regd.) there. I will be in Pune for approx 1 year. In this regard, could someone elaborate on the documentation required for the use of my bike there?
As far as I have understood from a few friends using out-of-state bikes in Pune, I need an NOC from my home RTO, and payment of tax for 1 year at the Pune RTO. Somehow, that sounds a bit too simple. Anyone who knows the correct process? Wouldnt really want to re-register the vehicle, etc.

Cheers
Rahul
Is that Maharashtra recognize payment of road tax for a year or so? I highly doubt it. Please re-check. I think for year (11 Months) it would not be any issue but if you pay road tax, it would be hassle free but will be costly for you, and RTO will take tax for entire lifetime of your bike.

Once you come back to KA I think you can request for excess tax refund. Experts please correct me If I wrong.

Last edited by anujmishra : 19th September 2010 at 20:54.

Most Viewed