Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2024, 18:45   #991
BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Folks, I am relocating from Bangalore to Chennai on permanent basis and now facing the option of taking over my company lease car (Seltos GT diesel auto) and re-registering it in Chennai or give it up by paying some penalty (1.9 lacs approx). The car is Nov 22 and has run about 6k only. I would be the second owner on record if I have to take it over. If I give it up, I can buy a new vehicle in my own name - I am looking at either the 2024 creta or facelifted Seltos.

I shudder at the thought process of getting NOCs and standing at the RTOs and mostly may not have the time to go through this process. Also don't have any ideas what would be the cost of this re-registration. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Last edited by contentedbloke : 3rd February 2024 at 18:46. Reason: Additional info
Old 3rd February 2024, 20:26   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Folks, I am relocating from Bangalore to Chennai on permanent basis and now facing the option of taking over my company lease car (Seltos GT diesel auto) and re-registering it in Chennai or give it up by paying some penalty (1.9 lacs approx).
Chennai is not as crazy as Bangalore in pursuing out of state vehicles for fines especially if you speak Tamil with the cops. Drive it, take it occasionally to Bangalore and tell the cop your family is here and you have an office in Bangalore.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 15:27   #993

I'm going the opposite way - Chennai to Bangalore. I have a 2019 Skoda Rapid and a 2017 Wagon R. The process looks to be a nightmare and the road tax comes to roughly 1.8 lakhs! I wouldn't count on the refund and would consider it sheer luck if we get it.

Ideally I wouldn't want to sell my Rapid but that seems to be the practical way out. I'm the second owner and from all the info on this thread, I gather that we'll need the original sale invoice to be able to complete the registration in the new state (KA in my case). Has anyone done an interstate RC transfer for a car where you're not the first owner? How do we handle the sale invoice part in this case?
Old 8th February 2024, 14:32   #994

Hi Everyone,

Seeking your experienced advise on transfer in Delhi NCR.

I have recently shifted to Noida (adhaar updated for Noida) and looking to purchase second hand two-wheeler (probably aerox). However I am getting all offers of vehicles registered in Delhi.

I enquired with some RTO agents on transfer charge from Delhi to Noida and I have got quotes in range of 20-22K. (including UP road tax). This makes the whole point of buying second hand vehicle a bad idea as RTO on new vehicle is 15K, and much less if I go for BH number.

I am wondering if the RTO charges are actually that high or I am fooled by RTO agents quotes. Also, if anyone share the contact of a reliable agent with fair pricing.
Is there any alternate strategy to lower the cost of transfer. (I do not have any contact living in Delhi )

Thanks.
Old 4th March 2024, 11:31   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Bar & Bench reports this from the High court of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
Has anyone used this ruling to exempt themselves from paying road tax in another stare where they were staying?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th March 2024 at 03:47. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 4th March 2024, 13:53   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Can anyone familiar with the navigation of this site assist. Frankly, after going through the grind, I am loathe to employ an agent at this late stage.

https://www.transport.telangana.gov....ssignment.html

I thinks it's "Reassignment of Vehicle" option as per the note above - https://tgtransport.net/TGCFSTONLINE...ionOnline.aspx

I have not done this personally but if you could avoid irritating agents, this option could be tried but as you know in general, RTA's and their offices will definitely make you run around till they are satisfied.

Online slot booking is namesake AFAIK and have faced this during new vehicle registration too. Appointments are formality sake here and goes by the queue outside.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th March 2024 at 03:47. Reason: Please type out your posts properly. Avoid SMS Lingo. Thanks.
Aarhot is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th March 2024, 01:39   #997
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I just got my RE Thunderbird 350x re-registered from KA03 to WB24. I’m planning to test my luck and apply for a road tax refund from Karnataka. Would anyone be kind enough to guide me around the process? I searched a bit but found contradictory information on the internet. Thank you in advance.
Old 9th March 2024, 12:38   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarhot View Post
https://www.transport.telangana.gov....ssignment.html

I thinks it's "Reassignment of Vehicle" option as per the note above - https://tgtransport.net/TGCFSTONLINE...ionOnline.aspx

I have not done this personally but if you could avoid irritating agents, this option could be tried but as you know in general, RTA's and their offices will definitely make you run around till they are satisfied.

Online slot booking is namesake as I have personally seen this during new vehicle registration twice. Appointments are formality sake here and goes by the queue outside.
Corrected my sentence.
Old 9th March 2024, 18:05   #999

Hello Bhpians,

My 2010 Ford Fiesta registration will be due for renewal in MAR-2025. The car is registered under HR 26 (Gurugram) RTO and currently is in Pune, MH. I want to transfer the registration to MH before its registration gets expired as 15 year rule will get applied for NCR region and will not able to re-register in HR.
Also it is not possible for me to go to Gurugram get NOC myself, let me know if any one has contact of agent that will help me with getting NOC from HR 26 (Gurugram) RTO.
Old 11th March 2024, 12:04   #1000

Hi Bhpians,

I am trying to transfer my MH (Pune) registration Dominar 400 to KA (Bangalore). When I approached an RTO agent to help with the same, he told me that I will have to pay the road tax on the original invoice price of the bike. I am not sure if this is entirely correct as my understanding was that we should be paying road tax on the invoice price post depreciation.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th March 2024, 19:06   #1001
BHPian

10% to 18% of the cost of the new motor cycle (depending on the cost) is the lifetime tax at the time of registration of the new vehicle. If the age of the vehicle from the month of registration is not more than 2 years, 93% of the life time tax is levied now and for each additional year 6% reduction is allowed (e.g. if not more than 3 years 87% of life time tax is levied).Details are available in the schedule available in the following link:
https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/s...20Schedule.pdf

Last edited by jathin : 11th March 2024 at 19:16. Reason: word modified
jathin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks