Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2014, 14:36   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello BHPians!

Need your suggestions and advice.
Please let me know the formalities and procedure of buying a used car registered in another state. Does the process involves too much hassle?
Kindly advice.

Regards,
Saket
Here is an outline

- Get police verification/NOC from the state of origin
- provide the NOC to the destination state, pay the road tax, and re-register the car.
- now using the destination state registration number, apply for refund of tax in the state of origin.

Payment of road tax and refund of road tax are on pro-rata basis.

With so many processes involved, I will keep away from other state car purchase.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 15:12   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is an outline
With so many processes involved, I will keep away from other state car purchase.
Thanks a lot Arun for the heads up!
Was contemplating getting a used Civic; my dream car, but the process is indeed playing spoilsport. There is no good option available in my state. That's the dilemma & that's why the query above.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 24th October 2014, 10:51   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Get police verification/NOC from the state of origin
2. provide the NOC to the destination state, pay the road tax, and re-register the car.
Thanks Arun for your advice earlier. Wanted to know if I can drive the car in the period where I have applied for new registration in the new home state? And how long does it take to obtain NOC from the seller's state by the seller?
Old 24th October 2014, 15:24   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arun for your advice earlier. Wanted to know if I can drive the car in the period where I have applied for new registration in the new home state? And how long does it take to obtain NOC from the seller's state by the seller?
Timelines varies from state to state. Police Verification Certificate + NOC might take around 10-15 days.
In bangalore, for other state vehicles you will have to pay the road tax within one month and registration can be done within one year.
Old 24th October 2014, 15:27   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Timelines varies from state to state. Police Verification Certificate + NOC might take around 10-15 days.
In bangalore, for other state vehicles you will have to pay the road tax within one month and registration can be done within one year.
So, if I opt for immediate registration, can I drive the vehicle in the new state in the period that the car is in the process of being registered without worrying about the cops & fines?

Thanks.
Old 24th October 2014, 15:32   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, if I opt for immediate registration, can I drive the vehicle in the new state in the period that the car is in the process of being registered without worrying about the cops & fines?

Thanks.
As long as the road tax is paid, I don't see any issues from police. But take the NOC before moving the car to your state because some times to issue the NOC in the sellers state, the RTO will ask for the car to inspect.
Old 24th October 2014, 15:35   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As long as the road tax is paid, I don't see any issues from police. But take the NOC before moving the car to your state because some times to issue the NOC in the sellers state, the RTO will ask for the car to inspect.
Thanks Arun. All this information has been very helpful to me.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 16:49   #293
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

Need some input.

I recently moved my vehicle from Bangalore to Noida. I obtained the NOC from Bangalore RTO for transfer of vehicle to Noida RTO.

At Noida RTO the RTO agent told me something very weird.

1) Since its more than 1 month since i obtained the NOC, i would have to pay 10% penalty on the registration cost at Noida.
2) I would need to pay 8% registration cost on the vehicle. However, it has to be given in cash and the receipt would be hand written.
3) Last - the most shocking - that even after paying the registration fees, all i would have in hand is a hand written receipt. I would get the Noida UP number after "6-7 months".

Is this how things are supposed to work out? I feel he is taking me for a ride. Any inputs? Anyone with a reliable RTO agent in Noida? This RTO agent contact unfortunately i got from a Team-BHPian himself. But i am not able to trust him after what all he mentioned about process.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 20:47   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hello guys,

Need some input.

I recently moved my vehicle from Bangalore to Noida. I obtained the NOC from Bangalore RTO for transfer of vehicle to Noida RTO.
There is an expiry for NOC. So, they may charge some penalty.
But skip the agent because they have their own set of rules to milk money out of you.

May be you can find some helpful information here,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...noc-valid.html
Old 24th October 2014, 21:14   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

Need some input.

Its seems like a con job. Try contacting another agent.
Old 24th October 2014, 21:49   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

Need some input.

At Noida RTO the RTO agent told me something very weird.

1) Since its more than 1 month since i obtained the NOC, i would have to pay 10% penalty on the registration cost at Noida.
2) I would need to pay 8% registration cost on the vehicle. However, it has to be given in cash and the receipt would be hand written.
3) Last - the most shocking - that even after paying the registration fees, all i would have in hand is a hand written receipt. I would get the Noida UP number after "6-7 months".

Is this how things are supposed to work out? I feel he is taking me for a ride. Any inputs? Anyone with a reliable RTO agent in Noida? This RTO agent contact unfortunately i got from a Team-BHPian himself. But i am not able to trust him after what all he mentioned about process.
I am not sure about the way the RTO works over there. But isnt there options like an information centre or just going to the RTO office and enquiring ? In my hometown we have really friendly RTO staff. I never had trouble with the RTO of thrissur and guruvayoor, also the agents have a bad name for scamming a lot.
Old 31st October 2014, 16:48   #297
BANNED

Friends,

Bangalore RTO back in action. Today my friends SX4 Delhi regd was seized near metro station Yeshwanthpur while it was driven by his wife.

Car was released later after surrendering the original RC book to the officer.Now he has to pay life tax @ 1.5Lacs.

Last edited by Rajith : 31st October 2014 at 16:50.
Old 4th November 2014, 23:19   #298
BHPian

As far as I know one can drive a car registered in other states for a period of 12 months from the 1st date of entry of the vehicle into Karnataka. Its written on the RTO Website also.

Last edited by fuelinmyveins : 4th November 2014 at 23:23.
Old 4th November 2014, 23:45   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
As far as I know one can drive a car registered in other states for a period of 12 months from the 1st date of entry of the vehicle into Karnataka. Its written on the RTO Website also.
An amendment was made to the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation act that out state cars can stay in Bangalore for only 1 month.

Check the last few pages of the below thread to know the current status,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...eb-2014-a.html
Old 4th November 2014, 23:56   #300
BHPian

Quote:
An amendment was made to the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation act that out state cars can stay in Bangalore for only 1 month.

Check the last few pages of the below thread to know the current status,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...eb-2014-a.html
good lord
I will be going for an assignment to Bangalore in January and will be there for about 6-8 months. Do I have to pay life time road tax for it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks