Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 15:07   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is the taxation on the invoice value? I guess it must be on the depreciated value of the car. Ensure that the NOC from Gujarat RTO is obtained and the road tax paid there is refunded.

Shouldn't be an issue if you register it under your name but then how is going to labelled a company car?
Road tax is calculated based on the invoice value with certain percentage of reduction for cars more than one year. Here is the formula for KA,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3391020

Not sure, if the the process is different for MH.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:03   #317
BHPian

Thanks Ghodlur for the response. I mean to say, presently it is regd as a company car. I will be transferring it to my (individual) name here in Pune.

Any clue on the Octroi? Went through several posts, but seemed a bit confusing. Seems like its 1% of depreciated value. Where should I be paying it ?

@ arun_josie: when you say invoice value with reduction - that depends on the RTO's calculation of the present value of the car or the actual value that I am buying it for?

Last edited by Paleo : 1st December 2014 at 18:05. Reason: to avoid multiple posts
Old 1st December 2014, 21:54   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
@ arun_josie: when you say invoice value with reduction - that depends on the RTO's calculation of the present value of the car or the actual value that I am buying it for?
Sorry, my earlier update was not clear. To calculate the road tax, the invoice value will be the base. The percentage of road tax will differ based on age of the car. You can refer to the link mentioned in my previous update which is specific to KA.

Market value of the car is not considered at all.
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:39   #319
BHPian

Thanks arun. And invoice value would be ex showroom price I assume at the time of purchase and not OTR. And for a 20 lakh ex show room car, it might depreciate to say 16 lakhs in 3 years...or lesser? And the tax would be 7% on the 16 lakhs? Plus octroi 3% in pune? That's like 10% tax on say 16 lakhs? Pls correct me if im wrong
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:33   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
And invoice value would be ex showroom price I assume at the time of purchase and not OTR. And for a 20 lakh ex show room car, it might depreciate to say 16 lakhs in 3 years...or lesser? And the tax would be 7% on the 16 lakhs? Plus octroi 3% in pune? That's like 10% tax on say 16 lakhs? Pls correct me if im wrong
Octroi isnt applicable in Pune, LBT is. LBT rate is around 2% if IIRC. The road tax is applicable on (Depreciated Invoice value + 2% LBT). Looks like the registration process in Pune RTO is quite tedious going by the description of the process on the RTO website. Do ensure that you complete the Gujarat RTO process in totality before starting the Pune RTO process.

http://www.rtopune.info/registration...of_vehicle.htm
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:56   #321
Senior - BHPian

Had asked a similar question on the Karnataka road tax thread.

The time has finally come for me to transfer my 72 Fiat from Kerala to Bangalore. The car has a valid fitness certificate. I plan on keeping the car here and use it once a week (or less) at the most. Due to multiple mistakes at the Calicut RTO, the car is registered in a friends name and the insurance (valid) is in my name. Is it better to re register the car here or just pay road tax and drive with KL plates? For re registering the car, what documents do I need to get from the KL RTO? I know a NOC will be required. Is there anything else?
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:25   #322
BHPian

I'm in a tricky situation and would like to know from the well-informed people in the forum. I'm currently relocating from a BS III city to Hyderabad which is a BS IV city. My car is also BSIII compliant not BSIV. So can I transfer my vehicle to Hyd or will it be a problem doing it as I heard Hyderabad won't register a BSIII vehicle? Please confirm if anyone has any idea.

Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:00   #323
BHPian

For all of you looking to move their vehicles from another state to Pune, here's a checklist I got today from the RTO. (might be applicable to all of Maharashtra)

Everything clear except the depreciation calculation .

Octroi / Entry tax - applicable only if the vehicle is less than 30 months old (from date of regn)

Query I have - Should i transfer it to my name in Guj before bringing to Pune? Or I can get the transfer to my name cum transfer to Pune done in one shot?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pune RTO chklist for other state regn.pdf (308.4 KB, 1123 views)
Old 9th December 2014, 23:16   #324
BHPian

Paleo, I had a similar doubt till I enquired this at bangalore rta on the procedure. I wanted to transfer it from hyderabad to bangalore and the car was registered in my mom's name. So transferred the car to my name, then applied for NOC and finally I am all set to pay the road tax.

Sandeepmohan, you can pay the road tax in bangalore and run the car with KL number plates. But remember that you will have to change the number to KA if you extend your stay more than a year by paying a nominal fee. Also, in case you decide to move out of bangalore with your car later, you will not get the refunds of tax in this case.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th December 2014 at 20:24. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI QUOTE. Thanks!
karavadi143 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:32   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karavadi143 View Post
Paleo, I had a similar doubt till I enquired this at bangalore rta on the procedure. I wanted to transfer it from hyderabad to bangalore and the car was registered in my mom's name. So transferred the car to my name, then applied for NOC and finally I am all set to pay the road tax.
The problem is I dont have an address proof in Guj. So getting the transfer to Pune and transfer of ownership done at one go.

As far as tax refund goes, the agent is telling me that Tax refund can only be claimed by the original owner. And once the car is sold, then it can longer be claimed (by the next owner). He sounded fairly confident about it.
I'm still not convinced though. With the car transfer, effectively the road tax also is getting transfered to me. And if i'm paying tax in MH and getting it re-registerd, then I should have the right to claim refund from Guj. Not very hopeful but not going down without a fight

btw - paid token for the outlander, getting it next week
Old 11th December 2014, 22:35   #326
BHPian

Awesome Paleo. There should not be any use of the car, now that you are getting a new Outlander . Are you going to exchange your existing car with this ?
Old 12th December 2014, 17:10   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karavadi143 View Post
Awesome Paleo. There should not be any use of the car, now that you are getting a new Outlander . Are you going to exchange your existing car with this ?
Nope - not selling my Figo. Cant afford the outlander for everyday use
Old 17th December 2014, 18:42   #328
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have an outstanding loan on my Chevy Beat, and would like to transfer it to Kolkata. I can manage things in Kolkata. I need help in the Bangalore part of getting an NOC. Could someone list the steps, including the ones in bank(possibly)?
Old 18th December 2014, 02:44   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

I have an outstanding loan on my Chevy Beat, and would like to transfer it to Kolkata. I can manage things in Kolkata. I need help in the Bangalore part of getting an NOC. Could someone list the steps, including the ones in bank(possibly)?
Firstly, the RTO site kar.RTO.Nic.in is very helpful for form download.
the NOC requires 4 copies of CMV Form 28, which has a line at the end for consent of Financier for hypothecation, loan etc.
If I recall correctly, you have to state reason for transfer, as sale or job transfer and a endorsement from Financier is all that is required.
Copy sent to both registering offices, financier and owner by post.
I just visited the Indiranagar RTO y'day, and found the officers giving out info in Room 13, Counter 10 etc were well informed and very helpful.
You need your RC, Insurance cover note, PUC & 4 cloth bound covers. Get estimate, pay challan in cash or DD room 1, arrange Financier endorsement and present yourself around 11:30, when inspector checks chassis for particulars etc. Relatively painless procedure. Please avoid brokers as the main work is Financier consent which only you can do.

For eg. My wife could not bring her vehicle for inspection, but he issued a challan so we could pay and bring the vehicle anytime in the next 1 year. We decided not to pursue the noc and just register locally as the Reg tax was under 1000 for a 15 year old vehicle.
Juggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:30   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
Firstly, the RTO site kar.RTO.Nic.in is very helpful for form download.

For eg. My wife could not bring her vehicle for inspection, but he issued a challan so we could pay and bring the vehicle anytime in the next 1 year. We decided not to pursue the noc and just register locally as the Reg tax was under 1000 for a 15 year old vehicle.
Hi Juggy,

Thanks for the inputs. Unfortunately, the car is in Kolkata now and will not be available for inspection. Any way out? Also, do we need originals for RC< PUC and Cover note?

Most Viewed