Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 20:48   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think I read that if you retain your original number (from respecticve state) even after paying the Karnataka road tax (without changing into a KA number), they wouldn't refund the amount. Yours look like such a case.
See, in the normal case, they would have just collected the fresh LTT and issued only a challan / receipt attesting to having collected it. If that happened, I wouldn't stand to get a refund at all.

There is no question of a NOC in such a case, because your original RC is with you and not surrendered to the RTO of your home state. You continue to drive with the TN number and if a cop / RTO stops you, show him the receipt each time.

But I got myself a karnataka RC book, which they cleverly issued with a TN number instead of giving me a karnataka number. That complicates the case somewhat.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 21:12   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
See, in the normal case, they would have just collected the fresh LTT and issued only a challan / receipt attesting to having collected it. If that happened, I wouldn't stand to get a refund at all.

There is no question of a NOC in such a case, because your original RC is with you and not surrendered to the RTO of your home state. You continue to drive with the TN number and if a cop / RTO stops you, show him the receipt each time.

But I got myself a karnataka RC book, which they cleverly issued with a TN number instead of giving me a karnataka number. That complicates the case somewhat.
To your first point, why can't you get a refund even though the road tax would be against you vehicle number itself ?

Secondly, I think the Chennai RTO is playing the fool here. Isn't an NOC good enough to state that the car will not be used in KA ? How can an RTO certify that the car is not 'used' in a state ? An NOC means it's no longer registered with the RTO and transferred out, so that's good enough right. In my opinion you should push with the Chennai RTO and get the logic behind this.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 6th January 2016 at 21:14.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:56   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
To your first point, why can't you get a refund even though the road tax would be against you vehicle number itself ?

Secondly, I think the Chennai RTO is playing the fool here. Isn't an NOC good enough to state that the car will not be used in KA ? How can an RTO certify that the car is not 'used' in a state ? An NOC means it's no longer registered with the RTO and transferred out, so that's good enough right. In my opinion you should push with the Chennai RTO and get the logic behind this.
I have no clue here. What happened to start this whole thing off is, when I showed it to the Chennai RTO agent I used (a known guy, brother of one of my former drivers etc) he went in, brought out an RTO clerk and showed him the paperwork. That clerk called my agent in Bangalore and explained to him that the endorsement was needed.

If the guy had merely tossed it back to me across a counter to move me out of there so he could get to the next "customer", then I'd have suspected playing the fool. But he spent quite some time flipping through the paperwork - and looked rather surprised when he saw a karnataka RC book with a TN number.

I guess the KA51 RTO people created this original mess by not giving me a karnataka number outright when I produced my NOC and other required paperwork.

Can any bhpians knowledgeable about RTO procedures in Chennai comment?
Old 6th January 2016, 23:57   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I have no clue here. What happened to start this whole thing off is, when I showed it to the Chennai RTO agent I used (a known guy, brother of one of my former drivers etc) he went in, brought out an RTO clerk and showed him the paperwork. That clerk called my agent in Bangalore and explained to him that the endorsement was needed.

If the guy had merely tossed it back to me across a counter to move me out of there so he could get to the next "customer", then I'd have suspected playing the fool. But he spent quite some time flipping through the paperwork - and looked rather surprised when he saw a karnataka RC book with a TN number.

I guess the KA51 RTO people created this original mess by not giving me a karnataka number outright when I produced my NOC and other required paperwork.

Can any bhpians knowledgeable about RTO procedures in Chennai comment?
1, Mr.X buys a car in state A in 2014

2, Mr.X Takes an NOC from state A and moves to state B in 2015

3, Mr.X Pays Road tax in state B & submits the NOC to state B

4, State B collects Road tax from Mr.X and writes a letter to state A to authenticate the NOC issued by state A.

5, State A writes back to state B on the authenticity of the NOC

6, State B then issues a registration No. to Mr.X.

7, Mr.X goes back to state A for refund of Road tax which was paid in 2014 with the tax receipt paid to state B. (with new RC as well)

8, State A writes back to state B and asks for a genuineness certificate to verify that Mr.X has indeed paid Roax tax and has acquired a new registration No. in State B.

9, State B sends the genuineness certificate to state A.

10,The refund process is initiated by state A to Mr.X and it may take few weeks/months/years/decades for state A to refund the road to Mr.X.

It normally takes 2-3 months to move from step 4 to step 6 and i believe that your moved back to TN from Karnataka and this process could not be completed and hence the confusion.

Waseem.....

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 7th January 2016 at 00:02.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 16:00   #455
Senior - BHPian

They took those two or three months to issue me a Karnataka RC with my old Tamil Nadu number, and of course they cashed my DD immediately as soon as I submitted my documents.

I went to the Chennai RTO finally today - they were flummoxed as to why the KA51 RTO people were unwilling to provide a "non utilization of NOC" endorsement so I could just go back to resume my old TN RC book, and why they issued me a karnataka RC without giving me a KA number in the first place. Anyway they gave me a letter addressed to the RTO there requesting him to do the needful or whatever the phrase is.

Now I got to go all the way to bangalore and then to E city sigh. Might be faster to drive from chennai I guess.
Old 11th January 2016, 18:14   #456
Senior - BHPian

A quick update - [mods please merge]

I turned up at the ka51 rto and after they pointed out yet again that the NOC they've issued is after issuing an RC that utilized the TN NOC, so they can't issue a "not in use" certificate, they'll give me a karnataka number after cancelling my karnataka NOC.

I'll then have to go get my TN lifetime tax refunded. Sigh .. progress of a sort?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:12   #457
Senior - BHPian

I'll be moving from Chennai to Pune soon and now need to figure out what to do about my TN registered car.

What is the scene like in Pune for out of state cars? If I decide to get an NOC later, will an agent be able to get me an NOC from Chennai? I won't be able to bring my car back here for that.

Since Pune has a reasonable road tax (7% IIRC), I'm thinking of going ahead with registration for peace of mind. Anybody on the forum know the NOC process in Chennai? Or anyone know a reliable agent I can contact?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 23rd January 2016 at 20:14.
Old 23rd January 2016, 21:43   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I'll be moving from Chennai to Pune soon and now need to figure out what to do about my TN registered car.

What is the scene like in Pune for out of state cars? If I decide to get an NOC later, will an agent be able to get me an NOC from Chennai? I won't be able to bring my car back here for that.

Since Pune has a reasonable road tax (7% IIRC), I'm thinking of going ahead with registration for peace of mind. Anybody on the forum know the NOC process in Chennai? Or anyone know a reliable agent I can contact?

You had better do the first part yourself as there are some steps an agent just can't do for you. Take the noc before you transport the car to Pune. For that first take your car to the police commissioner office in Vepery along with a copy of your rc, DL, insurance, pollution certificate. The next day the police give you a certificate that the car doesn't have any cases against it. Take the original of that and those other docs along with the filled in noc in triplicate (or four copies, endorsed by your bank, If the car is under finance) to the RTO along with a self addressed a4 envelope with around 17 rupees stamps. Pin everything together nearly with the original rc book attached in a small clear plastic pouch. The noc must have pencil prints of the vehicle engine and chassis number.

Or just sell your car
Old 24th January 2016, 21:17   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

No one will bother you in Pune for first 12 months if you have Toll/PUC/Service Record/Insurance done in Chennai.

RTO guys will seldom bother you even after 12 months,only the Traffic constables who are on the look out for quick bucks will harass you.

PS:Better sell your car in Chennai and buy something similar in Pune.

Waseem.....

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 24th January 2016 at 21:18.
Old 30th January 2016, 13:33   #460
BHPian

I am planning to move my car permanently from Chennai to Hyderabad next month. Will I be able to take the services of AASI (automobile assoc of south India) in this process? I know that transferring the vehicle to a new state and changing the registration is a tedious process. Has anybody here taken the help of AASI for this? What has been your experience? Any insights from this distinguished panel will be very useful to me.
Old 31st January 2016, 00:23   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVtec View Post
I am planning to move my car permanently from Chennai to Hyderabad next month. Will I be able to take the services of AASI (automobile assoc of south India) in this process? I know that transferring the vehicle to a new state and changing the registration is a tedious process. Has anybody here taken the help of AASI for this? What has been your experience? Any insights from this distinguished panel will be very useful to me.
Taking an NOC from Chennai and paying LTT in Hyderabad is a fairly easy process.

You may need AASI's help is claiming your tax back from Chennai RTO.

Waseem.....
Old 3rd February 2016, 13:43   #462
BHPian

Hi All,
I had moved from TN to KA and had to pay LTT for my 2 year old vento and the cost was close to 1.5Lakh .
Since am not sure how long will stay in KA, I got a NOC from TN and plan to make a change of KA address retaining my TN number, so that it will be helpful for refund of KA LTT when I leave.
When I plan to leave KA and go back to TN
1. Will I get my old TN RC book?
2. Refund of KA LTT

I already have a NOC and its valid for a year only. So need to decide if use NOC and get KA RC or get a non utilization certificate and retain my TN RC which means my idea/hope of getting a refund from KA is gone
Note: TN RTO had clearly mentioned that they will not refund their tax at any cost.
Old 5th February 2016, 15:04   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchit223 View Post
Hi

I am currently in Navi Mumbai and have a car registered in company's name. I want to move to Gurgaon, keep the car and register it there. I have a few queries:

1. Do I have to get it registered first in my name at Navi Mumbai and then again get it re-registered in Gurgaon? Or can the transfer of Title (company to individual) and location (navi mumbai) to Gurgaon be done in 1 step?

2. I read somewhere that road tax is payable for used car only if it is less than 2 years old, unless the sales price was more than 10 lakhs. Is that true ?

Thanks for the Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You can register the car in your name after getting the NOC from Navi Mumbai.

Transport Department council had made recommendations to all the states on October 28 2013.Not sure if Haryana has implemented these recommendations.

Waseem.....

Thanks Waseem for your guidance. My plan to move was postponed, but now it's back on track. Hence the new query - The car in registered in company's name. How can I claim tax refund?

Regards
Sanchit
Old 5th February 2016, 15:27   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
Hi All,
I had moved from TN to KA and had to pay LTT for my 2 year old vento and the cost was close to 1.5Lakh .
Since am not sure how long will stay in KA, I got a NOC from TN and plan to make a change of KA address retaining my TN number, so that it will be helpful for refund of KA LTT when I leave.
When I plan to leave KA and go back to TN
1. Will I get my old TN RC book?
2. Refund of KA LTT

I already have a NOC and its valid for a year only. So need to decide if use NOC and get KA RC or get a non utilization certificate and retain my TN RC which means my idea/hope of getting a refund from KA is gone
Note: TN RTO had clearly mentioned that they will not refund their tax at any cost.
Please utilize the NOC and get KA No. ASAP.TN RTO will refund you the LTT.PM me if you have any more queries on the same.

Waseem.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchit223 View Post
Thanks Waseem for your guidance. My plan to move was postponed, but now it's back on track. Hence the new query - The car in registered in company's name. How can I claim tax refund?

Regards
Sanchit
The cheque will be drawn in the name of the company.

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 15:46   #465
BHPian

Hi Waseem,
Thanks for the reply. I do not have the option of PM, can you PM your number.

Also I would like to retain my TN number since someday I will be going back to TN(also have a fancy number).
So for now just make an address change to KA and while going back make an address change to TN and apply for KA LTT refund. Will this workout?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks