Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2016, 17:02   #511
BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Get what they want in writing from them not from the agent. Approach the RTO PRO for help if needed after getting an appointment (wait in line from the morning).

Or did your agent already submit all the papers?
I am waiting to get time to visit the RTO office myself first - not able to take time out of office
Old 9th August 2016, 17:06   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I am waiting to get time to visit the RTO office myself first - not able to take time out of office
You had better handle this personally - and please take stock of any papers an agent brings you for your signature, before you sign them.

Take leave if necessary - especially if the amount involved is significant.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 19:05   #513
BANNED

I think things may change quite a bit once GST comes in. As taxation will be uniform the laws (at least in practice) should ease out, making inter-state transfers more easy. Remember all RTOs are now supposedly online, so transfers should become a cinch (of course the graft factor will thrown some spanners into the works).
Old 9th August 2016, 19:25   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think things may change quite a bit once GST comes in. As taxation will be uniform the laws (at least in practice) should ease out, making inter-state transfers more easy. Remember all RTOs are now supposedly online, so transfers should become a cinch (of course the graft factor will thrown some spanners into the works).
Actually not. The issue is revenue accruing to specific state transport authorities.

GST or not, they are generally much happier with say a lakh of rupees in their treasury rather than the neighbouring state's, even if the rate becomes the same in both states rather than differing.

This will cause some significant heartburn to people registering expensive 40 lakh ++ cars in Pondicherry for use in Chennai and Bangalore
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:49   #515
BHPian

I would like to share my recent experience about obtaining NOC and then subsequent application for refund of road tax from Bangalore RTO.
Surprisingly it was a pleasant experience, i was able to get the job done personally without paying any extra money( well almost!)

I purchased a new car earlier this year and therefore decided to move my previous car to my hometown in Goa.
Thanks to the posts shared by fellow members i already had an idea of the documents required and the high level process.
First visit was to the KA-51 RTO office(BTM 4th stage) and i was directed to Room-5( non transport section). To obtain the NOC for moving the vehicle to other state permanently you have to submit the CMV-28( 3 copies) form along with the required documents
- RC card copy
- Insurance certificate
- Pollution check certificate
- Car invoice copy
- Copy of the road tax receipt

Link: http://rto.kar.nic.in/NOC-issuecss.html

They will ask you to attach the original RC card, which will be subsequently returned back to you along with the NOC certificate.
So carry a small sealable plastic pouch to attach the RC card.
You will also be required to attach a self-addressed envelope which will be used to send the NOC certificate to your address.
You can get the file,envelope with stamps,plastic pouch etc, at the kiosk opposite to the road.
Pl mention your details ( Name, phone number, car reg. no etc )in bold letters on the file.
After verification of your documents, you will be asked to take a couple of signatures from the officers.Once the file is submitted they will give you a letter issued in the name of Asst comm of Police, to get the vehicle report.
Also an acknowlegdement will be provided with a reference number to your file.

I was under impression that the RTO office itself will send the letter to the Police to get the vehicle report. But i was wrong. Fortunately the person from RTO office called me and asked to submit the NOC from Police dept, asap so that he can process my application. I was quite surprised and happy that he bothered to call and remind.

The next visit was to the Commissionar of Police office on Infantry road.Here i was asked to go to the CRB( Crime record bureau) in the new building.
The concerned person was on leave that day. So i had to leave the request letter there, and was asked to come back the subsequent day.
On the second visit, luckily the guy was there, and after checking the request letter, I was asked to get yet another NOC from the Traffic cell. The traffic cell is just some 100 mts down the road. The officer on duty was quick to check my vehicle details online and promptly issued the NOC. Back to the CRB, the NOC was checked, and then the guy started writing the NOC.
Then came the surprise. He started asking about my company, and what my designation is etc..I found this quite amusing..Didnt share with him
complete details..but he kept ranting about how long it typically takes to get NOC etc.. Once he was done, he asked to give him Rs200/-.
I didnt want to argue, as i already had spent a lot of time ,so paid the bribe and left.

The NOC from Police dept was submitted to the KA51 RTO office, and then it was just waiting time,keeping fingers crossed and checking my mailbox
everyday.To my surprise within a week time, i got the NOC delivered and along with my original RC card.

Once the vehicle was moved to Goa, I had to submit yet another set of forms and document copies, as well as surrender forever my old registration card.
Luckily i have some local contacts there, and therefore was able to get the vehicle re-registration done without any hassle.
The vehicle got the new number and RC card was issued.

Back to Bangalore,I applied for the road tax refund. After reading some unpleasant experiences, i was not quite sure of being able to
do this process on my own without engaging any agent. But decided to give it a shot.
For the refund, you have to submit form16, along with all the proofs of the vehicle re-registation.
- new road tax receipt
- new insurance certifcation with address
- copy of new RC card
- copy of old RC card
- orginal old tax receipt paid in Karnataka
- Two envelopes. One to be left blank. Another to be self addressed to your local address where you want to receive the cheque.

After the document scrutiny, and a couple of signatures later on, i was given an acknowledgement with the file reference number.
The RTO office then sends a request to the RTO office where the vehicle is re-registered. This RTO office is then supposed
to send back all the required details about the vehicle re-registration etc. (CRTI intimation).
I had to do some follow ups both with the KA51 and the Goa RTO office, and finally got the confirmation that the CRTI was received by Bangalore RTO.
Then about 3 weeks later, i was so much relieved to get the cheque for the refund amount. As you know, we pay the highest road taxes in Bangalore,
and the refund amount is quite substantial , so we cant really let it go.

The process is quite laborious and some follow ups are needed, but was i was happy to get it done without spending money on agents or paying bribes.
gautamal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:58   #516
Senior - BHPian

I agree. The KA51 RTO - especially the non transport section people (room 5) have been the kindest and most helpful officials I have had the pleasure to work with in a long time.

Congratulations on getting your refund.
Old 3rd September 2016, 03:47   #517
BHPian

Hi folks, we've moved out of bangalore permanently and I'm wondering if I should go through the process of transfer and refund. My conundrum is because we're going to be stationed in pondicherry for the next year or 2 and then again move to coimbatore permanently. I'm thinking about transferring the car to my pondicherry address purely because of the difference in road tax. I don't mind using an agent and if it takes a couple of months for the whole process as the car is only a year and a half old and if I'm able to get a refund from bangalore, it would be sizeable (original LTT paid in bangalore Rs. 5,90,000).

I'm not sure about what the LTT in pondicherry is but I think it's probably going to be a lot less than what I paid in bangalore. Its been about 8 months since I moved out of bangalore and I didn't think of transfer initially because I wasn't sure of how long we would be in pondicherry before we move to coimbatore. The reason I'm considering it now is because if we are in pondicherry for 1-2 years then that would take the age of the car to around 2.5-3.5 years and that time I would probably be looking for a change so might just buy a new car when we move to coimbatore.

Can anyone help me with the process as I've moved out of bangalore and I'm going to be dependent on a friend to do all the running around. Recommending a reliable agent is also going to be helpful and of course any guidance regarding what time frame to expect for the whole process
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:18   #518
BANNED

I have a feeling that most discussions here may become redundant post GST. The reasoning goes:

Taxation, will be the same across the country, so no states will be able to charge more. This will apply to GST and hopefully Road Tax (which may be subsumed).

Once taxation is stabilized far less incentive to start chasing out of state cars. So hopefully we will have 'one India' as far as road taxation is concerned.
Old 3rd September 2016, 12:18   #519
Senior - BHPian

While states may not charge more than the other - they will at least insist on receiving the same amount in their treasury rather in the treasury of some other Indian state.

In theory the amount collected in road tax is supposed to go towards maintaining roads, street lighting and other amenities - which they will have to bear the expense of in their own state.

So I can sort of see their reluctance to not collect tax from out of state cars, and even more reluctance to one of Gadkari's earlier proposals, to make RTO a central govt agency (so all the revenue would flow to the centre). Even more reluctance because Gadkari had called RTOs corrupt and worse than Chambal dacoits.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...road-transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a feeling that most discussions here may become redundant post GST. The reasoning goes:

Taxation, will be the same across the country, so no states will be able to charge more. This will apply to GST and hopefully Road Tax (which may be subsumed).

Once taxation is stabilized far less incentive to start chasing out of state cars. So hopefully we will have 'one India' as far as road taxation is concerned.
Old 16th September 2016, 12:34   #520
BHPian

A quick question -

Police certificate is required only to obtain NOC, is that right?
Old 16th September 2016, 12:39   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
A quick question -

Police certificate is required only to obtain NOC, is that right?
Yes. That is correct. You may also require to get one to establish that a vehicle is out of superdari, if you have some matter related to the vehicle (accident etc) that leads to court proceedings, even if you keep the vehicle after that.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 17:01   #522
BHPian

Change of my car registration from KA to TN

I want to take my 4 year old Duster with KA registration (Bengaluru) to Coimbatore in TN. I already paid life tax in KA. It does not have any loan.
I know I have to obtain NOC at Bengaluru on submission of some documents. What about in TN? How much will I have pay (fee, tax and incidentals) there? Does TN Coimbatore also have middle men, agents etc? Please advise. Thanks. Cheers
Old 9th October 2016, 18:09   #523
Senior - BHPian

Re: Change of my car registration from KA to TN

Very complicated process described here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nd-etc-35.html

Sell the car and buy a new one in Kovai
Old 9th October 2016, 19:03   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Very complicated process described here [url]http://

Sell the car and buy a new one in Kovai

Thanks. Yes thought of that, examined in detail; financially very expensive; I have to shell out additional Rs5 lakhs to get a replacement car in the same class as my present vehicle. So back to the drawing board.

Cheers
Old 9th October 2016, 19:14   #525
Senior - BHPian

Re: Change of my car registration from KA to TN

Buy a 4 year old used vehicle no? You may actually get it cheaper.

Or you have to pay some 60..80k more as life tax in TN after taking your vehicle over.

The other alternative is to keep your KA number in TN, and periodically drive across to bangalore for work or whatever, so that you have toll receipts handy in case any TN cop questions you. Just say you live there and have family here, commute back and forth.

If you don't have work in Bangalore - TBHP bangaloreans tend to do some very nice LONG drives across state borders, periodically. Join them

Most Viewed