Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2007, 15:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yeah me has been to Goa a couple fo times & never paid any such tax.

Btw A friends 5 year old KL registered santro's Paper were confiscated by Police last week & they are now demanding around 20k-30k(Not too sure about the figure) as tax. poor guy was planning to sell the car in coming month
Old 12th April 2007, 15:52   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Btw A friends 5 year old KL registered santro's Paper were confiscated by Police last week & they are now demanding around 20k-30k(Not too sure about the figure) as tax.
On what grounds did they confiscate papers? Did they give him a challan? Is the car left with him?

By any chance he knew how to handle the situation with cops? I have people in my office who are using out of MH registered bikes and they always give an excuse and make a slip. Need to warn them

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th April 2007 at 15:53.
Old 12th April 2007, 16:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Yeah he is a pakka mumbai ka chokra

he was coming back from somewhere was stopped on a signal or someplace(dont know exact detail) & was asked for papers, next thing he knew the papers are confiscated. He has the car. Actually thats his dad's car who was in Karnatak(Sorry its KA registered car & not KL) He tried explaining that he can show his dad's resiential proof & other stuff to prove that the car is here only momentarily But nothing worked.

He is no mood to pay up after all these years. Btw he was wondering if he can report loss of papers in KA & get new ones & then sell the car. Although I have advised him against it but I was wondering isnt that possible? I mean unless the cops go on searching the Car(since they have original papers they can)

Btw moral of the story do not carry original papers
Old 12th April 2007, 16:15   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And end up giving your car instead LOL.
Old 12th April 2007, 16:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
And end up giving your car instead LOL.
True. Thats even worse. BTW, Does MH have provision of paying quarterly tax instead of life time?
Old 12th April 2007, 16:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Arre Bhai Photocopier naam ka ek device hota hai usse use karo
Old 12th April 2007, 16:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But, did he take a receipt for this ?
Old 12th April 2007, 17:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

This am not aware of
Old 13th April 2007, 12:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yippe!! .. I got all my documents back today from the RTA after payment of the quarterly road tax. And the best part is that tax is effective till 30th June 2007.

Also, I found out why the RTO had a sudden change of heart about the availability of quarterly tax for ordinary mortals like me. I had emailed the Transport commisioner, Govt of AP, and it seems he looked into the issue.

Moral of the story: Knowledge is power - You just have to be aware of what you are entitled to, under the law of the land. RTO or any govt offical can not just make up some new rule, lie blatently about it and think they can get away with it !!
Old 26th August 2008, 10:19   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Registration & road-tax for non-MH used car in MH

I am considering a move to Mumbai from Bangalore with my 1 year old Tata Indica Xeta & Chevrolet Aveo.

As far as I understand:

1. I can drive down myself - just need to carry all original papers with me.
2. I can legally drive for 3/6/12 months (unsure?) in Maharashtra (MH) without registering.
3. If staying beyond the maximum time mentioned in 2. above, I need to ask Bangalore RTO for a NOC. Think I should probably do this anyway when going to MH.
4. Once I get the NOC, it stays valid for 45 (?) days. I need to register your car in MH within that time and send back proof of the same to Bangalore RTO in Form CMV16 for pro-rata refund
5. After that only God can help with expediting the actual pro-rata refund :-)

Now what I don't know is HOW DO MH RTOs CALCULATE ROAD TAX & ALLIED COSTS FOR (NON-MH) USED CARS BEING RE-REGISTERED IN MH? Is it a %age rate on the depreciated value etc?

Mumbaikars: please help!

Only if I know the costs involved can I decide in selling the Indica here in Bangalore. It's already listed in the TBHP classifieds though .

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th August 2008 at 10:21. Reason: Typo
Old 26th August 2008, 13:04   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Following on from my post above, I checked with the WIAA and this is what I have got:

All on invoice value regardless of current age of vehicle

1. 7.5% road tax
2. 4% octroi
3. 12% entry tax

I can understand 1. but are 2. & 3. correct? My cars are 17 & 14 months old. Looks like I need to sell them both here in Bangalore :-(
Old 26th August 2008, 13:37   #42
BHPian

In B'lore most cops do go behind out of state registered bikes but very rarely have i seen them go after cars.

Couple of my friends who have KL reg car here in b'lore always make sure that they have some receipts from petrol bunks from kerala and o'coz PUC certificate issued from kerala....but they have rarely been caught by cops for tax, rather they have been stopped many a times for drink and drive checks
Old 26th August 2008, 15:10   #43
BANNED

I drive a TN registered car in Bangalore on a daily basis. I have never been stopped by the traffic police for a TN number plate. But then, if I am stopped, I am fluent in Kannada and my car has always come from Chennai in the last 3 weeks (worst case) - always keep the toll plaza receipts and latest Madras fuel bill. I also have my old Chennai mobile (active) with me always.

Note: I have plans to upgrade and the new car (when that happens) will be KA registered.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:07   #44
BHPian

I have a question to all advocate bhp-ians. Will it possible to file a public interest litigation in high court or supreme court against this different road tax rates.As all of us know, india is opening up and hence people will have to travel across states for various purposes and that way, can it be filed as a matter of fundamental right - right to move freely in the county in ones own vehicle without fear of money minded cops and RTOs (I may be a bit over worded on this but can't help.) . if the supreme court can direct the central govt for a uniform road tax across india which can be paid anywhere in the country,dont you think it will be a good move for all those people who work out of their home states (and also to save some bucks from greedy govts like ours in KA) ?
Old 27th August 2008, 12:11   #45
BHPian

I dont think having a non 'KA' car will be problem in bangalore, the cops are fond of the 2 wheelers most of the time. I use both car & Bike in bangalore with a TN number plate. I have never been stopped when i'm on my car, but a number of times when in my bike. When they stop the bike they will eat your time to check almost all the papers you have and even you need to have a pollution certificate.

So i had to pay the tax for my bike, but i still run with my TN board, the bike is not re-registered. So you have an option of just paying the Road Tax and retain your number, It works out cheap too. It would be much easier if your taking your vehicle back to your place but at the same time it will be a pain because anyways the cops still stop the vehicle to check the papers.

As i did this 2 years back i dont remember much on this, would get you more details if needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks