Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 12:17   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I saw a post somewhere where a person cribbed to the GoI. On rising an RTI query, the reply he got was that rationalization of Road Tax was on the way as part of the GST, and then hopefully this issue will be addressed. Since GST is not that far let us wait and see.
Yes I have heard this too, seems like it will get included in the GST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Won't make a difference to the refund process or paying tax to states.

It just means that the habit of registering expensive vehicles in the north east or in some union territory like pondicherry or daman will go away because the tax rate will be the same across India.

Painful for bonafide vehicle buyers from those states of course but maybe people in high tax states like karnataka might get one or two percent of relief.
I think the rate cut will be more in states like MH, KA etc as they are currently nearly 4 times higher than some low taxed states. If rates low taxed states hike up more than double it will affect car sales hence the govt needs to find a workable mid point figure which should ideally be in mid single digits IMO.

Once GST for road tax is implemented will the revenue from this be collected by the state or the center? If road tax becomes a central tax then it wouldn't matter which state the car is registered. This is doubtful but should be the ideal, most first world countries function this way too.
Old 12th May 2017, 12:47   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Once GST for road tax is implemented will the revenue from this be collected by the state or the center? If road tax becomes a central tax then it wouldn't matter which state the car is registered. This is doubtful but should be the ideal, most first world countries function this way too.
The revenue is collected by the states to maintain roads within the state, that is city roads, state highways etc. So no way they will let that go to the centre without extensive protests / litigation.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 10:40   #588
Senior - BHPian

Need some feedback from fellow BHP-ian's:

I will be shifting from Chennai, T.N. to Kolkata, W.B. some time next month.
Presently my wife's NANO XTA is under a five year loan (4 years remaining). Loan availed from SBI.

Approached SBI with the request to transfer the loan file to an appropriate branch in Kolkata and issue an N.O.C. to enable re-registration of the vehicle in West Bengal.
SBI says it cannot. Only way out is to foreclose the loan. Which my wife cannot for the time being as she has other monetary commitments.

The SBI manager also concedes that it is an internal SBI problem as apparently all other private banks, like ICICI, HDFC etc do transfer loans to other branches while the EMI's continue to getting deducted by way of ECS and has no problem issuing NOC.

Upon enquring with folks at WB they confirmed that even without changing the registration, one can pay the WB road tax and safely use the vehicle. But one has to be ready to produce the Tax receipt to cops who will inevitably stop you upon spotting the out - of - state - registration plate. Of course, in this case I cannot claim reimbursement / refund of the LTT already paid for Tamil Nadu.

Can anyone on the forum throw some light on this SBI quirk? Any possible way out / anyone i can write to in particular at SBI who can decide on a "case - to - case" basis, if at all, in situations like these?

Thank you all !

Last edited by arjab : 5th June 2017 at 10:43.
Old 5th June 2017, 11:13   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Upon enquring with folks at WB they confirmed that even without changing the registration, one can pay the WB road tax and safely use the vehicle. But one has to be ready to produce the Tax receipt to cops who will inevitably stop you upon spotting the out - of - state - registration plate. Of course, in this case I cannot claim reimbursement / refund of the LTT already paid for Tamil Nadu.
Wasnt there a relief to drive you vehicle upto 360 days. And EMI's cant you simply pay from where you are via E transactions. My loan amount is deducted from my bank automatically and all i need to do is ensure there is balance.

Unless there is a pressing need to change the bank account i do not see problem with continuing with loan in Chennai SBI only.

Secondly just refinance through ICICI or the bank of your choice in Kolkata and close the loan with SBI. You may save few thousand on loan interest rate as well.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 11:22   #590
Senior - BHPian

Figure out whether the WB people are demanding one or two years worth of road tax or the full lifetime tax, calculated pro rata (that is some % deducted for the car's age)

If they are asking for full road tax then just sell the car in Chennai, foreclose the loan and buy a new car in WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

I will be shifting from Chennai, T.N. to Kolkata, W.B. some time next month.
Presently my wife's NANO XTA is under a five year loan (4 years remaining). Loan availed from SBI.

Approached SBI with the request to transfer the loan file to an appropriate branch in Kolkata and issue an N.O.C. to enable re-registration of the vehicle in West Bengal.
SBI says it cannot. Only way out is to foreclose the loan. Which my wife cannot for the time being as she has other monetary commitments.

The SBI manager also concedes that it is an internal SBI problem as apparently all other private banks, like ICICI, HDFC etc do transfer loans to other branches while the EMI's continue to getting deducted by way of ECS and has no problem issuing NOC.

Can anyone on the forum throw some light on this SBI quirk? Any possible way out / anyone i can write to in particular at SBI who can decide on a "case - to - case" basis, if at all, in situations like these?

Thank you all !
Old 5th June 2017, 11:38   #591
Team-BHP Support

A friend recently went through the same with SBI. They refused to provide an NOC without foreclosing the loan, so he arranged the balance and paid up.

Ridiculous loan terms on top of ridiculous RTO rules, makes it feel like a criminal offence to move states in this country.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 22:26   #592
VKS
BHPian

It's even not easy with Banks like HDFC , they require the address at the new city before issuing a NOC and have a 15-20 day TAT. It's practically very difficult getting a car on loan shifted to a new city .

SBI didn't allow transfer even in 2013 when I was shifting to Chennai without foreclosure. Getting NOC is just not possible at SBI .
VKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 21:48   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
At the KA RTO, when you are applying for a new registration mark (once again after submitting NOC from HR RTO, paying pro-rata LTT at KA, and providing other documentation), the vehicle needs to be presented and physically inspected (similar to the case of a new vehicle).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You are required to pay Tax in KA after 1 year of plying.

Waseem.
Dear Avinash/Waseem,

After getting the NOC from HR RTO, I went to the KA RTO (KA04) today and as per them the pro-rata LTT for a vehicle with invoice amount 10.0 Lacs is Rs 1.70 lacs @ 17.0%.
Handling charges and New RC charges would be additional 8k.
New RC (KA number) processing time is 90 days.

Is this correct or some kind of scam ?
Old 21st June 2017, 21:51   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Dear Avinash/Waseem,
After getting the NOC from HR RTO, I went to the KA RTO (KA04) today and as per them the pro-rata LTT for a vehicle with invoice amount 10.0 Lacs is Rs 1.70 lacs @ 17.0%.
Perfectly correct that IS the LTT in Karnataka. Have fun paying it and then trying to get your Haryana LTT refunded from the RTO there, it will take you months.

One thing you can do if you don't want to go with this is -

1. Get a NOC not used certificate from the KA04 RTO
2. Transport your car back to Haryana
3. Get the NOC cancelled at the Haryana RTO
4. Sell the car in Haryana, buy another in Bangalore

The other thing you can do is - drive the HR plate vehicle in Bangalore and hope the RTO doesn't run into its periodic fits of seizing vehicles and forcing them to pay LTT.
Old 21st June 2017, 23:05   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

Thank you all !
"Standard Assets can be transferred from one branch to another at the request of the borrower.". This is what the Master Circular on Car Loans in SBI says.

So it is possible. But I think prior sanction is to be taken from the Controller of the branch (the person to whom the Branch Head reports).

Only doubt in your case for me is that it involves transfer between two circles of SBI - Chennai Circle to Kolkata Circle.

Last edited by Ramon : 21st June 2017 at 23:08.
Ramon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:50   #596
Senior - BHPian

Thanks hserus for the inputs.
Quote:
Perfectly correct that IS the LTT in Karnataka. Have fun paying it and then trying to get your Haryana LTT refunded from the RTO there, it will take you months.
17% for 10.0 lac car is just insane. Will there be any change after GST ?

I'm not even thinking of trying a HR LTT refund at this moment. Total time and money waste IMO.

Quote:
One thing you can do if you don't want to go with this is -

1. Get a NOC not used certificate from the KA04 RTO
2. Transport your car back to Haryana
3. Get the NOC cancelled at the Haryana RTO
4. Sell the car in Haryana, buy another in Bangalore
That's the most expensive option.
Lose more in selling a year old car and then buying a car in the most expensive state in the country. I will most likely end up losing about 4 ~ 5 lacs.

Quote:
The other thing you can do is - drive the HR plate vehicle in Bangalore and hope the RTO doesn't run into its periodic fits of seizing vehicles and forcing them to pay LTT.
I keep travelling around different places. So its too risky for me.
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:24   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Avinash/Waseem,

How old is your vehicle.

Waseem.
Old 22nd June 2017, 23:48   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
How old is your vehicle.

Waseem.
Maruti Scross bought in Jan 2016
Old 23rd June 2017, 00:18   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Any changes expected to Road Tax with GST coming in?
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:29   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti Scross bought in Jan 2016
Then you get to pay almost the full road tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Any changes expected to Road Tax with GST coming in?
Costlier cars might get a slightly cheaper rate whereas cheaper cars will be more expensive - but all subject to notification and then implementation by the RTO.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.liv...gn%3Dgoogleamp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks