Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 21:13   #196
BHPian

Re: Moving car between states - Road tax, refund etc???

I am moving to Mumbai soon and will be taking my car along. It was registered in Goa in Oct '03. I need some help pertaining to the following:
  • What is the time duration till when I can use my car with registration from another state and without paying LTT in Mumbai? AFAIK, it is 6 months/1 year in many places.
  • Can I use the car by just paying LTT but not changing the registration and running with my GA number? I think showing the tax receipt to the cops should work.
  • Approx how much would the tax be?
  • Really how does the Octroi work? Tried but couldn't understand it well. Where is it applicable and for whom/what? And how much is to be paid?

Last edited by swarnava.m : 26th April 2013 at 21:15.
Old 6th June 2013, 10:49   #197
Senior - BHPian

ET reports of a uniform road tax across states to be implemented soon. This was long overdue.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20455020.cms
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 20:35   #198
Senior - BHPian

My brother-in-law owns a Ford Figo Petrol of July 2010.
The car is Pune registered.
He has shifted from Pune to Jaipur.
If he wants to take the car to Jaipur, how much Road Tax should he pay? What are the procedures to be followed?
Can he pay road tax for say 3-4 years at Jaipur RTO and use the car with MH-12 Plates since he does not like to stay in one city for long?
He wants to transport the car through Packers and Movers? How safe is it?
Old 1st July 2013, 14:21   #199

Need your help guys!

Hey guys,

I really need your help!
I am moving to Mumbai from Delhi this month, and want to take my car along. The problem is, that the family driver had had an accident with it on the GT Road, and as a result some court in Punjab has my Registration certificate, and Im left with a court document as a substitute (its in Punjabi!)

The official Mumbai rules state, that I have to pay registration charges, etc, which I dont mind, however, the delhi RTO wont give me an NOC to start this process.

Now the problem is, that I dont know what to do with my car, as I cant sell it unless the case gets over and I get my RC back (which is never!); and Im moving to Mumbai for good this month. What do you guys say? Will it be too much of a problem if I wing it and drive it there and show this court document if I get pulled up?
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:55   #200
Senior - BHPian

You can pay the Road Tax at Mumbai even in the absence of Delhi NOC.
The loss in this is you cannot claim for a refund from Delhi RTO even after paying Road Tax at Mumbai.
You can drive the car with Delhi Number Plates after paying Mumbai Road Tax with no problems.
It is just that you can not get the car registered at Mumbai unless you produce Delhi NOC.
Thats it.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:20   #201
BHPian

Can someone please guide me how to claim the road tax from Mumbai for a car that I have transferred from here to Cochin? It was lifetime paid tax here in Mumbai.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10th August 2013, 13:10   #202
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to know how is the Road tax calculated here in Karnataka. I wanted to know this for my Gujarat registered 2009 i20 that we brought to Mangalore.
I knew that the road tax is far higher in Karnataka, but came to know that we have to pay Rs 91,000+ as road tax for our 2009 i20 at Mangalore RTO, which I think is insane and is more than three times to what we paid as road tax back in Gujarat(Rs 30,000 odd) in 2009.
Do they take into account depreciated value of a 4 year old car while calculating road tax or they blindly calculate it based on the ex-showroom price? For a 4 year old car, do I get a new RC book that is valid for 15 years or 11 years(considering an RC book for a brand new car is valid for 15 years) ?
Old 13th August 2013, 12:07   #203
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, The Road Tax is calculated on the remaining period of the Registration Validity of First Registration.
You should be paying the RT for 11 years and you will get New Registration Number of KA. Hence you will get New RC.
I don't know the Rate of Road Tax in KA.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 16:31   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I wanted to know how is the Road tax calculated here in Karnataka. I wanted to know this for my Gujarat registered 2009 i20 that we brought to Mangalore.
I knew that the road tax is far higher in Karnataka, but came to know that we have to pay Rs 91,000+ as road tax for our 2009 i20 at Mangalore RTO, which I think is insane and is more than three times to what we paid as road tax back in Gujarat(Rs 30,000 odd) in 2009.
Do they take into account depreciated value of a 4 year old car while calculating road tax or they blindly calculate it based on the ex-showroom price? For a 4 year old car, do I get a new RC book that is valid for 15 years or 11 years(considering an RC book for a brand new car is valid for 15 years) ?
The RTO has a depreciation chart and they will calculate the depreciated ex showroom price of your car based on that chart and apply road tax on the depreciated price. The road tax in KA is around 15% IIRC.

If I calculate backwards based on the 91K that you mentioned it looks like they are valuing your car at 606000. This does seem too high. What was the ex showroom when you bought it ?
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 18:18   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The RTO has a depreciation chart and they will calculate the depreciated ex showroom price of your car based on that chart and apply road tax on the depreciated price. The road tax in KA is around 15% IIRC.

If I calculate backwards based on the 91K that you mentioned it looks like they are valuing your car at 606000. This does seem too high. What was the ex showroom when you bought it ?
Thank you for your advice.

The ex-showroom price of the car was Rs 5,03,205, Additional Taxes were : VAT Rs 62,901, Additional VAT Rs 12,580, which brought the total invoice value to Rs 5,78,686.

The Gujarat Life time Road Tax of Rs 30,000 odd was calculated on Rs 5,03,205 and this is mentioned in the RC book.

The quote of Rs 91,000 odd Karnataka life time road tax was given to me by an agent and he told me to pay the amount by cheque/DD favoring RTO Mangalore, and his service charges to be paid seperately to him. So I don't think I can doubt the RTO agent. Guess I better visit RTO Mangalore and find out.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:10   #206
shimshumara

Hello All,

Below are some urls that could be informative.
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...Mode=HTML&GZ=T

http://rto.kar.nic.in/FAQcss.html

The gist is that if you want to re-reigster your vehicle in KA, make sure you plan to use the KA Roads (stay in KA) for long. The above two urls give answers to almost all of your questions.

Best yet, visit your nearest local RTO office and get the information first hand.
  (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 20:49   #207
BHPian

Is there a schedule of what the depreciation is to calculate road tax in Mumbai?

I was considering buying a fairly old but a high end car from Delhi (12 years old). I am extremely unclear on what the road tax might be in Mumbai and how the RTO calculates it.

Does anyone have any specific numbers on the depreciation schedule?
Old 9th October 2013, 14:58   #208
BHPian

I am moving from Chennai to Gurgaon. The Thiruvanmiyur RTO is very accessible and I was able to to get an NOC application done in one visit without any agent and without knowing Tamil.
Now I am re registering my car in Gurgaon. I am paying Haryana Govt prescribed life time tax on the car and other thing. Now as per Ministry of Road Transport and as per TN taxation act (attached link) www.tn.gov.in/sta/TNMVTR1974.PDF rule 11, sub rule 11A, I can get a refund of the balance tax.
On Karnataka RTO I could easily find a form http://rto.kar.nic.in/Form_16.pdf for applying for a refund.
Anybody aware of such a form for TN?
Old 31st October 2013, 20:39   #209
Senior - BHPian

I brought my bike registered in MP to Karnataka around 10 years back.

I took NOC from Bhopal RTO for registering the bike in Bangalore. But I never registered the bike in Bangalore, I only paid the life time tax and continued using the bike in Bangalore.

Now I have moved the bike back to Bhopal. I need to renew the registration in MP since it is completing 15 years. Will the Bhopal RTO give any trouble because of the NOC issued ?

My father enquired with an RTO agent in Bhopal. The agent says that the moment one takes NOC from RTO, the RTO closes the file for that vehicle (the record for that vehicle ceases to exist). I find this to be ridiculous.

The agent further says that now to register the bike in Bhopal, I need to get NOC from Bangalore RTO. Again this is very funny since the Bangalore RTO would never issue NOC for a bike that was never registered in Bangalore (I only paid the road tax, did not get the bike registered in Bangalore).

My understanding is that NOC is just a no-objection letter from the source RTO, which basically clears the vehicle for registration in another RTO. It doesn't mean that the source RTO would delete all records for that vehicle.

Has someone faced a similar situation ? What should be my approach ?

Rohan
Old 15th November 2013, 11:08   #210
BHPian

My Sister and Borther in law have relocated to Kolkata recently and the need for a 4 wheeler was felt from day one. We never wanted to get into the mess of transferring a vehicle from one state to another but lack of finding a decent used 4 wheeler in Kolkata has become a hassle. So now we are exploring the route of getting their AP registered i20 to Kolkata.

My initial feeling was for the first one year I can drive without any problem. But some digging around the Internet revealed that in Kolkata people were forced to pay the tax within a weeks time of entry into the state. As my sister will be the primary user I do not want her to suffer from the police.

Now I have a couple of queries. They may stay here for around 2 years. So which will be a better option

1)Drive with AP number: pay road tax for year and then renew it the second year. Does this scenario require a NOC
2)Get the number changed along with road tax.

The following is the information that I gathered from the West Bengal RTO website.
https://vahan.wb.nic.in/wb/vahan/gui...oadTaxFAQs.jsp

2. If I my vehicle is registered outside West Bengal and I have paid there, then do I require to pay tax when I use the vehicle in West Bengal?
Yes. As tax on motor vehicles tax is a State tax, you are required to pay the taxes for the period of use of your vehicle in this state.

7. What are the documents required for payment of taxes?
The documents are:
A signed and duly filled declaration form;
Copies of Registration Certificate / Insurance Certificate / PUCC.
Right hand side part of the original Tax Token; ( We do not have this copy)
Proof of entry into this state (for vehicles registered in any other state only). ( What is needed as proof of entry. Toll tickets or something else is provided)

Where to Pay
You have to pay your taxes at the office where your vehicle stands registered. In cases of vehicles registered outside this state and coming to this state for a temporary period then the taxes to be paid at the border or at the first available RTO office.

Will it be better if we pay at the border while coming from NH5 or would it be better at Kolkata RTO.

Finally B]Amount of Tax mentioned is as below:[/b]
1. LMV (Car): - Payable Yearly and for Individuals, Registered Societies, IT exempted organizations:- Sl.
1. Up to 900 CC :- 600 (T) + 1300 (AT) = 1900 PY + 800 (ST) = Rs. 2700 PY
2. 900 to 1490CC:- 800 (T) + 1400 (AT) = 2200 PY+ 1500 (ST) = Rs. 3700 PY
That should be Rs 3700/year as roadtax for the i20 but most of the comments mention them paying as much as Rs. 12000 /year(Thought I am not sure what car they are using)

Any inputs would be appreciated. If anyone can guide me to a good agent or proper channel that would be even better.

If the transfer works out complicated, I may opt for picking a basic hatchback temporarily. If any of you know someone who is selling their hatchback in Kolkata do let me know. I guess I post this requirement in a wanted ad too

Thanks
Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks