Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 13:26   #256
Senior - BHPian

4- year old tDCi Figo, shifting to Karnataka - Pay taxes and Keep or sell??

I am a Doctor from Bangalore and have been in various parts of Tamil Nadu for the past 8 years. I own a Sept 2008 New Honda City Gxi Anniversary edition run 90,000kms and a Dec 2010 Ford Figo Zxi run 75,000kms.
I am relocating back to my parent's house in Bangalore. Unfortunately there is a rule that I can use an out station car only for 1 month before paying Life Time Tax. The Tax for the City will be about INR 95,000/- and for the Figo will be about INR 65,000/-. Plus the compulsory penalty and bribes.
Now I am going to pay the tax and retain the Honda City for sentimental reasons. But what do I do about the Figo? I still have INR 1,00,000/- pending loan amount
Options are:

[1]Keep the Figo, Pay taxes and avoid hefty EMIs. Buy a new car after 2 years.
[2]Sell the Figo in Tamil Nadu for INR 2.5 Lakhs, pay off the loan and buy a 7-seater.
[3]Run the Figo without paying tax in Bangalore (I will be driving to Chennai/ Tirunelveli at least once a month), wait a few months till my practice picks up and then buy a car.

Please remember that I have to build up my practice so finances are going to be very tight for the next year or so.
Just saw this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-scrapped.html. Now, does option 3 look most practical?

Again next question, if buying a new car, is which 7- seater?
We are a family of 4 adults and 2 kids. I thought the Ertiga would be perfect until I test drove the Safari. Ertiga seems sensible and nice, but no heart. Safari, first test drive was in 1998 and I was hooked. The Lx after discounts will be INR 1.5 Lakhs more than the Ertiga. I didn't like the Mobilio Diesel, though the petrol was amazing. My anticipated driving would be about 500 kms per week with 2 weekend trips of ~1000-1500 kms per month.

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 19th August 2014 at 13:28. Reason: Added a link
Old 19th August 2014, 14:03   #257
BHPian

Re: 4- year old tDCi Figo, shifting to Karnataka - Pay taxes and Keep or sell??

Why did you have two cars in Tamil Nadu for a couple and 2 kids? I'd say sell off the Figo and not buy anything. You're moving to Bangalore and hiring a 7+ seater for the occasional trip should be a breeze nearly any time of the year. Why do you need to drive the 7-seater 500km per week?

Another option would be to sell off the Honda (fetches higher resale - pay off Figo loan and tax, and), keep the small car Figo (easier to drive in city and higher FE). Use the remaining amount as down payment for the new 7-seater.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:49   #258
Senior - BHPian

The most practical thing to do taking into account you want to keep the City for heart sake is to retain the City paying lifetime tax and sell the Figo in TN. Given that you have one car at hand will give you time to evaluate the 2nd car.

The second car decision would be based on:

1. How much running are you going to have on the 2nd car?
2. What usage you will have, assuming City still is your primary car.

I've lived with my parents which made the family 4 adults 1 kid. But mostly its only us couple and the kid for most of the highway runs and occasionally my mother joined us. In the 3 years I had the car we hardly went 2 trips with 5 of us in the car. Am no believer in rental, but if your usage is going to end up like mine you really don't need a 7 seater at all
Old 19th August 2014, 21:36   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Why did you have two cars in Tamil Nadu for a couple and 2 kids? I'd say sell off the Figo and not buy anything. You're moving to Bangalore and hiring a 7+ seater for the occasional trip should be a breeze nearly any time of the year. Why do you need to drive the 7-seater 500km per week?

Another option would be to sell off the Honda (fetches higher resale - pay off Figo loan and tax, and), keep the small car Figo (easier to drive in city and higher FE). Use the remaining amount as down payment for the new 7-seater.
Even I thought of advising the same but I suppose the Doctor has a reason for not selling the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Now I am going to pay the tax and retain the Honda City for sentimental reasons.
Old 19th August 2014, 21:41   #260
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention that my wife is also a doctor. The 95,000 Kms of the City we're run by her. The 75,000 Kms of Figo we're run by me. There is no way we can manage on 1 car.
@hellmet: a doctor's life is a dog's life. You need to be visiting a dozen places everyday. Hence 2 cars for couple and 2 kids. Of course kids went in school van. We will not have an occasional holiday but a 1400 Kms( to Tirunelveli) drive probably 2/3 times a month. Plus my weekly running will be at least 500 Kms. Wife has not finalised a job yet. But she will need a car too. And no way is she giving up the City.
@narayans80: there is no way we would be able to manage with one car. I'm very tempted to get a bike for my visits but family is dead against it. They think I'm too old to be riding long distance.;-).
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 21:43   #261
Senior - BHPian

Owing to higher road tax in KA(and near impossible to get a refund without changing plates) and since Figo gets good resale in TN, it is better you sell off your Figo.

You can decide on your next car once you settle in KA.
Old 19th August 2014, 23:57   #262
Senior - BHPian

Here's what you can do once you are close to your winding up:

- Sell the Figo in TN.
- Book a car in Bangalore.
- Use the money from the Figo sale as down payment for the new car and loan on top of it.
- Drive the new car to your current location and use it. Once you wind up, drive both cars back to Bangalore.

This way you'll have 2 cars, you won't have the hassle of paying tax or re-registering 2 vehicles, only one since you plan to retain the City.

One of my friend who is also a doctor used the same strategy for his first car, he was driving a TN-09 in Bangalore as he was nearing completion of his MD and winding up from there.
Old 21st August 2014, 00:05   #263
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving car between states - Road tax, refund etc???

Thanks @ramzsys and @narayans80. With me travelling at least once a month to TN, I will have toll tickets and fuel bills. Will I be able to manage to evade RTO for 6 months or so?
How is the safari storm lx? Is the lack of middle row a/c vents very significant. From the reviews I understand we cannot switch on the middle row a/c independent of the front one. Will lx manage a chennai trip?
Old 29th August 2014, 21:24   #264
BHPian

I have a query here, my dad has an alto back home in Shillong which met with an accident a couple of days ago wherein the left side doors were damaged, it's done 65k kms till now. My dad is planning to sell it off after getting it repaired through insurance.

Since my sisters and I are in Bangalore now, we just had a thought about getting the car here.

Now if at all we consider getting the car here, what all do we expect? I know we'll have to re-register the car if we have to keep it here but what other formalities will we have to fulfil and how much will we have to spend on doing so?

Bangalore bhpians please educate me a little on this.

(Mods I couldn't find any thread related to this so posted it here, please shift it if required)
Old 1st September 2014, 11:47   #265
Senior - BHPian

Process of transferring registration of car from Bangalore to Delhi

Hello all,

Pardon me if this question has been asked before.

I have a KA registered vehicle which i need to transfer to Delhi. As i understand, there is a procedure to get NOC from KA RTO and then produce the same NOC in Delhi RTO and pay the registration fees to get the car re-registered.

Could anyone help with the exact steps for the same?

Rgds
Old 1st September 2014, 12:33   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Process of transferring registration of car from Bangalore to Delhi

Why do you want to transfer the registration to Delhi?

Unlike in KA, no one is going to catch you and fine you for not paying road tax here. Everyone with an out-of-state registration is more than welcome to feel at home here!

And in any case, unless it's a BS-IV compliant vehicle, registration transfer / re-registration isn't allowed in the Delhi-NCR (200km radius).
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 13:01   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Why do you want to transfer the registration to Delhi?

Unlike in KA, no one is going to catch you and fine you for not paying road tax here. Everyone with an out-of-state registration is more than welcome to feel at home here!

And in any case, unless it's a BS-IV compliant vehicle, registration transfer / re-registration isn't allowed in the Delhi-NCR (200km radius).
Hi SS-Traveller,

Thanks for your inputs.

No actually its a company leased vehicle. So the vehicle ownership is with the company and since i am getting internal transfer from the company from Bangalore to Noida, hence i need to get it re-registered there.

Its an Xcent 1.2 S, i guess its BS-IV
Old 1st September 2014, 14:08   #268
Team-BHP Support

You will need to get NOC from your local police station, present the same at the RTO and get NOC from them as well.

Submit the same at Noida, alongwith valid insurance, PUC receipts and a copy of the invoice you would have received from the dealership.

RTO calculates the life time tax amount you need to pay (Which will come very close to 100% since your vehicle is new) and you can apply for a new number once the tax has been paid.

Once you have received your new registration number, you can present the documents proof that the car has indeed been re-registered and apply for an LTT refund from Bangalore. Bangalore RTO doesn't show the same eagerness while crediting the LTT back to owners - so the refund will take some time.

Points to note- NOC is valid only for 6 months. Beyond that, you may be made to run pillar to pole between the two RTOs. So please initiate the process soon after you reach Delhi.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 17:18   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
...its a company leased vehicle. So the vehicle ownership is with the company and since i am getting internal transfer from the company from Bangalore to Noida, hence i need to get it re-registered there.

Its an Xcent 1.2 S, i guess its BS-IV
Yes, the Xcent is certainly BS-IV. If the company does not insist that you MUST transfer registration to another state, let it be. Talk to them, ask if it's mandatory to transfer. Noida RTO isn't the easiest to deal with, and under-the-table costs will be high. And nobody will bother you in Noida with a KA-reg car either. My tenant has been driving an MP-reg car there for years, no one ever stopped him!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 1st September 2014 at 17:19.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 17:25   #270
BHPian

Registration costs for old vehicles is around 5% each year (excluding the first year) in Noida. Agent would charge around 3K for the same and new registration number is issued after 3 months of the temporary RC (which is issued after paying the road tax with the NOC)
Website address is www.artonoida.com/

Last edited by Abeer : 1st September 2014 at 17:33. Reason: added website url
Abeer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed