Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 16:50   #496
BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/tables-t.htm
Can anyone confirm that the table in above link is valid for TN LTT calculation.

Going by the Link, 10-11 year old car LTT is just 3.25% of invoice price & Annual tax option should be around 1,100 per month for individual owners.

Q> For selling my MH car in TN, should I do a re-registration in TN RTO? Instead can I just pay LTT & do the name registration in MH RTO?

Mods : Please merge/delete if found answered elsewhere, could not get the specifics while searching.
Old 31st May 2016, 12:26   #497
Senior - BHPian

I paid LTT for my TN registered July 2013 Figo in Pune without changing registration (no NOC required). The tax amount was more than what I paid as road-tax for the new car in Chennai MH tax for diesel cars is 11%, against 10% in TN. Depreciation for < 3 year old car was negligible !

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2016 at 10:16. Reason: Guess you meant 'road tax for new car'
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 10:43   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/tables-t.htm
Can anyone confirm that the table in above link is valid for TN LTT calculation.

Going by the Link, 10-11 year old car LTT is just 3.25% of invoice price & Annual tax option should be around 1,100 per month for individual owners.

Q> For selling my MH car in TN, should I do a re-registration in TN RTO? Instead can I just pay LTT & do the name registration in MH RTO?

Mods : Please merge/delete if found answered elsewhere, could not get the specifics while searching.
Hi anyone who has re-registered their vehicle in TN?
Old 5th July 2016, 17:05   #499
BHPian

Lot of HR 26 Cars in BLR suddenly

Hi Guys,

Of late I have noticed a lot of HR 26 (Gurgaon) regd cars in Bangalore. I have nothing against it; just the sudden influx makes me think why oh why? Can any one shed some light on this?
Vista2Swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 17:33   #500
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lot of HR 26 Cars in BLR suddenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista2Swift View Post
Hi Guys,

Of late I have noticed a lot of HR 26 (Gurgaon) regd cars in Bangalore. I have nothing against it; just the sudden influx makes me think why oh why? Can any one shed some light on this?
Maybe it is to do with beginning of school year and people might have planned the moves to coincide. Yes even i have noticed, or maybe a large MNC moved a large opps to BLR form HR. Guesses for now.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 17:36   #501
BHPian

A friend has a KA-registered 2014 Honda Brio and has to move to Chennai for 3 years. She plans to drive between BLR and Chennai on weekends and use the car in Chennai on weekdays.

What is the best course of action?
- should she re-register the car in TN? (what's the approx. cost involved? per year or lifetime?)
- should she get a TN number plate?
- should she sell the car here and buy another there?
Old 21st July 2016, 12:36   #502
BHPian

Finally! the 2.5 years of hassle ended extremely pleasantly.

I moved my 1 year old Honda Jazz from Chennai to faridabad (home) in november 2013 and re-registered my car here in December 2013. Paid 10% Tax in Chennai and some more in Faridabad.

The first request for refund of remainder of Life time tax was sent in January 2014. since then I got replies containing yes / no / dont know / cant refund as the tax was paid online / can pay only x when the refund should be 1.8x and some more.

But I dint take the foot off the pedal and sent about 13 / 14 RTI queries and a couple more without RTI.

Today I finally got the cheque with zero bribe paid in the entire process - right from collecting the NOC myself to getting the cheque. And its a handsome amount - ~9% of the invoice price.

Now the only thing that can go wrong is they don't have money in their account which is unlikely

Yayy!
parulkgupta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 12:48   #503
BHPian

My NoC was verified online by the RTO in front of me. It can not also be verified by general public on open portal for select states, data uploading for other states is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-new.png  

Last edited by parulkgupta : 21st July 2016 at 12:54.
parulkgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 16:59   #504
Senior - BHPian

three in one omnibus reply below after a longish hiatus from tbhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
A friend has a KA-registered 2014 Honda Brio and has to move to Chennai for 3 years. She plans to drive between BLR and Chennai on weekends and use the car in Chennai on weekdays.
The Chennai RTO isn't as eager to chase for re-registration as the Karnataka RTO is. I would suggest that especially as your friend is driving back and forth she should keep a photocopy of her most recent toll receipts and say that she's just visiting Chennai for business meetings, if she is ever asked. Please don't have her re-register based on this use case, it is a long drawn out and complex process. She might find it preferable to sell the car and buy one in Chennai if she feels hassled driving a KA car in TN. Personally - not as much hassle in Chennai except that the traffic "fine" amounts tend to be a couple of hundred rupees higher and a little more frequent for out of state cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parulkgupta View Post
re-registered my car here in December 2013. Paid 10% Tax in Chennai and some more in Faridabad.

The first request for refund of remainder of Life time tax was sent in January 2014. since then I got replies containing yes / no / dont know / cant refund as the tax was paid online / can pay only x when the refund should be 1.8x and some more.
Congratulations. I'm in the process of a TN refund after moving my car TN->KA myself and re-registering in Karnataka (and thanks to tbhpian @waseem and others for several suggestions during the process). It has been a slow-ish process but so far, no bribery.

A lot of running around though. All done myself rather than through an agent, thank god the relevant Chennai RTO is quite close to my home.

All this was unnecessary except that I was going to bangalore for several months during the time the karnataka RTOs were quite eager to collect road tax on cars that were in town for over a month. Well before Waseem and others managed to recently get a high court judgement quashing this. Currently back in Chennai and like @nareshov's friend above, commuting back and forth to Bangalore for work - and to run around the relevant RTO there.

After the re-registration and getting my karnataka RC (a process that took three or four months), now was the time to get my TN tax refunded.

I took copies of my new and old RC books, pollution, insurance, the car's sales invoice together with this other form DT to the Chennai RTO. At this point I had no information beyond various tbhp threads on what specifically was required - nothing documented on the TN RTO (STA) website either.

So the lady at the relevant desk asked me to bring her the original tax paid receipt for the vehicle. You know, the one that the dealer collects as part of the car sale amount and gets your car registered through his broker.

Luckily for me the dealer had paid all his registrations online and so was able to find an accountant in his head office who could scan and whatsapp me a copy within the day. I sent that in along with my application.

Then got told that she would send these documents to the relevant Bangalore RTO for endorsement and it'd take a month. More than a month later - no movement on that. So I went over to the Bangalore RTO (KA51 Electronic City - which had some very polite and helpful staff, full marks to them) and they promptly - well, after a few hours of paperwork - issued me what's called a CRTI. Essentially a letter stating that my car with TN07 xxx, engine yyy and chassis zzz had been re-registered in Karnataka with number KA51-xxx.

They said they'd send that to the TN RTO by speedpost - and what happens but that it just gets lost in the post and never arrives. So I had to make another trip to the KA51 RTO a few weeks later, they were good enough to issue me a second CRTI - this I took with me and hand delivered at the "tappal" (documents reception) section at the TN07 RTO, after getting it initialed by the RTO's PRO (on the same lady official's advice).

The next step - they had to send it to their central records people in their head office because the tax had been paid online rather than as a DD, to issue a certificate that the money paid by the dealer had actually been deposited with the RTO into the state treasury department. No movement a few weeks later, so after asking the lady for details of which office, I went to the head office - in a huge government building complex called Ezhilagam, near the Marina Beach. The computer records section - in an old building allocated to NICNET, behind the main Ezhilagam complex.

Two more friendly officials there - late last week - who explained that as the process of tax refunding an electronically paid lifetime tax was still not computerized it was being handled manually - and they took a printout of the payment from their records, and passed it on to yet another office - in a totally different part of Chennai, mind you, where an official would issue a certificate to the RTO that the LTT money has been received.

According to them - next steps are that the TN07 RTO will take that certificate, assess a pro rata refund based on the car's age and issue a neft transfer or demand draft of the refund amount, and that it can take a couple of months more.

All in all three or four months for the re-registration in bangalore (where I had to use an agent as the RTO was quite far from my apartment) and then maybe six months (of which 4 have been completed so far) for my tax refund in Chennai.

So far polite persistence has worked - though it has meant more half days off than I'd really like. There's at least some actual movement in this case despite the undocumented procedure and extra runarounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parulkgupta View Post
My NoC was verified online by the RTO in front of me. It can not also be verified by general public on open portal for select states, data uploading for other states is going on.
It can be verified - https://vahan.nic.in and https://sarathi.nic.in for RC books and drivers licenses. The RTOs, police etc have enhanced access of course but the general public has some limited access to both websites.

Last edited by hserus : 28th July 2016 at 17:10.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 14:51   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

So far polite persistence has worked - though it has meant more half days off than I'd really like. There's at least some actual movement in this case despite the undocumented procedure and extra runarounds.

You seem to have a lot of patience sir. It's very clear that the RTO are not doing their jobs properly. In many cases you had to go to both the RTO's to find out that they did not receive your documents from the other RTO and they have not done any followup with your case. You were the one carrying your documents from RTO to RTO.

How is this even feasible for people between far off states who can not run between RTO's in other states, they will never receive their tax refund's.

And why the hell is our government increasing these incompetent staff's salaries ?
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 15:09   #506
Senior - BHPian

In my case I am sort of fortunate that the concerned RTO is close to my chennai apartment and I anyway have to go to Bangalore once or twice a month at least, for office work.

The reason I am patient is that the people I have had to approach seem to be decent people saddled with having to follow a complex procedure that isn't of their making.

They have been genuinely helpful and polite when I have approached them politely, absolutely no demand for bribery so far (even though it is likely that may materialise automatically when the same paperwork is submitted through an agent.
Old 8th August 2016, 10:18   #507
BHPian

Okay folks, need a quick help here. I had taken NOC from KA51 RTO in September 2015, and have netered WB in April 2016. When I had gone to an agent here in Kolkata, I was told that I have to pay a huge fine, starting from Sep'15 (the time when the NOC is issued)- and I thought NOC was valid for 11 months. Is this true? Also, can anyone enlighten me on the prevalent tax rates (and fine rates if possible) for re-registering a vehicle in West Bengal. I dont have my original invoice (though I have asked for a copy) but I remember that my invoice value was Rs 3,95,000. I am being asked 50K(Plus upar ka 12 K) / 58 K and 65K by different agents for this. (Just as a perspective , I had paid 57K as original LTT in Bangalore)
Old 8th August 2016, 11:18   #508
Senior - BHPian

The NOC validity will be printed on the NOC itself - I believe it is three months not 11 months. It has likely expired by now.

Where you're confused I think is that you can keep the car in WB for a year before you have to re-register it.

My advice would be to drive the car back to Bangalore and sell it there A sub 4 lakh car is just not worth the trouble to re-register it halfway across India and then claim your (17% of the invoice price pro rata the car's age) road tax back from Karnataka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Okay folks, need a quick help here. I had taken NOC from KA51 RTO in September 2015, and have netered WB in April 2016. When I had gone to an agent here in Kolkata, I was told that I have to pay a huge fine, starting from Sep'15 (the time when the NOC is issued)- and I thought NOC was valid for 11 months. Is this true? Also, can anyone enlighten me on the prevalent tax rates (and fine rates if possible) for re-registering a vehicle in West Bengal. I dont have my original invoice (though I have asked for a copy) but I remember that my invoice value was Rs 3,95,000. I am being asked 50K(Plus upar ka 12 K) / 58 K and 65K by different agents for this. (Just as a perspective , I had paid 57K as original LTT in Bangalore)
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 12:43   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The NOC validity will be printed on the NOC itself - I believe it is three months not 11 months. It has likely expired by now.

Where you're confused I think is that you can keep the car in WB for a year before you have to re-register it.

My advice would be to drive the car back to Bangalore and sell it there A sub 4 lakh car is just not worth the trouble to re-register it halfway across India and then claim your (17% of the invoice price pro rata the car's age) road tax back from Karnataka.
Hi Hserus,

Thanks- but the problem is complicated further due to the following things:

1. There is no validity of NOC in my case- the issuing officer has said 11 months , but there is no mention of it anywhere.
2. If I take it back to Bangalore, I have to get a non-utilization certificate from Kolkata RTO- which they are unwilling to give.
3. Only after KA RTO gets a Non utilization certificate, they will cancel my NOC.

So either you fight in two RTOs (not desirable) or in one RTO (not desirable again- but half the hassle); that's where the conundrum lies.
Old 8th August 2016, 12:54   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
2. If I take it back to Bangalore, I have to get a non-utilization certificate from Kolkata RTO- which they are unwilling to give.
3. Only after KA RTO gets a Non utilization certificate, they will cancel my NOC.

So either you fight in two RTOs (not desirable) or in one RTO (not desirable again- but half the hassle); that's where the conundrum lies.
Get what they want in writing from them not from the agent. Approach the RTO PRO for help if needed after getting an appointment (wait in line from the morning).

Or did your agent already submit all the papers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks