Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2017, 13:05   #556
BHPian

re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Hi guys, suppose I buy a used car from hyderabad and get it registered and pay the lifetime tax here in bangalore. Can I apply for tax refund which was originally paid in hyderabad?
Old 5th March 2017, 16:09   #557
Senior - BHPian

You can but it will take you several months of shuttling between the Hyderabad and Bangalore RTOs. Read several posts in this thread
Old 5th March 2017, 20:55   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can but it will take you several months of shuttling between the Hyderabad and Bangalore RTOs. Read several posts in this thread
Is it possible to pay just the difference between the two states LTT amount, since lifetime tax has been paid in hyderabad.
Old 5th March 2017, 23:56   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish619 View Post
Is it possible to pay just the difference between the two states LTT amount, since lifetime tax has been paid in hyderabad.
Unfortunately, no. Not to the best of my knowledge. I have struggled with this issue multiple times. There is no provision even to pay just the annual tax (I am not sure if this holds true for all states though) - so if you shift to a new location just for, say, 3 years, you have to end up paying the lifetime tax in the new state. The refund from the original state you registered the car in - good luck with that
Old 7th March 2017, 12:52   #560
Senior - BHPian

An irritated tax payer reported an issue to the Government of India, GOI won him with their response

SOURCE: http://rightlog.in/2017/03/modi-prime-minister-office/

I recently got transferred from Madhya Pradesh to Maharashtra and my car is MP registered. After 2 months, a police guy stopped me and asked for NOC. I knew that we need to pay road tax when our vehicles get shifted from one state to other. Somehow I convinced the police man and left towards home.

On the way, I was thinking about the justification of paying road tax again in the same country although shifted to another state. It is very difficult for people who get transferred frequently. So I made up my mind to raise a public grievance. I immediately logged into Grievance Redress Mechanism in Government and raised my concern (i knew it won’t help, but still to vent out my frustration, i did it anyway).

Why is it that we Indians have to pay separate road tax for our cars and bikes when we shift from one state to another? This is the simplest thing that can give high impact to the public. I request this to be addressed suitably.
I got immediate auto-generated email. Adding the screen shot below.

I was surprised but thought there must be an automatic system put in. I even received a SMS on phone.

2 days passed and I received another SMS :

Your grievance number PMOPG/E/2016/0280482 has been received by the Prime minister office and transferred to T section, Transport wing, address – Transport Bhawan, 1 Parliament Street, New Delhi.

(Not able to locate this communication, will add if I can find it)

10 days passed and I received a call. It was from someone in Transport wing, extremely polite to know what I exactly meant. I explained my concern and I was assured it will take sometime to resolve but it has been taken into priority.

I was extremely happy that my small effort was taken seriously which was unexpected in previous governments.

10 days passed and I received this communication through SMS and Email.
The Government is also in the process of bringing Life Time Road Tax Policy/uniformity in the taxes levied on the motor vehicles across the country. Case is closed as of now.
Adding screen shot below.
I was extremely happy with the process. Leave aside the action whether it will be taken or not. I could connect with the leader. Hats off to the discipline put in by Mr. Modi in the Central government sector. I could sense the work happening with this.
UNQUOTE

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 11:43   #561
BHPian

Hi,
I am new to this whole transfer of vehicle. Before i approach anyone, thought of asking here for advice.
I live in Hyderabad(Telangana) and Planning to buy an old SUV from Kerala.
Are there any good brokers here(Hyderabad) that can help with the transfer/RTO. I plan to keep the vehicle so LTT i would be paying. What would be the approximate tax if the vehicle is 15yrs old.
Old 10th March 2017, 13:24   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Hi,
I am new to this whole transfer of vehicle. Before i approach anyone, thought of asking here for advice.
I live in Hyderabad(Telangana) and Planning to buy an old SUV from Kerala.
Are there any good brokers here(Hyderabad) that can help with the transfer/RTO. I plan to keep the vehicle so LTT i would be paying. What would be the approximate tax if the vehicle is 15yrs old.
Fairly low lifetime tax but you still have the fitness certificate to deal with. And then the wondering about how a 15 year old 2nd hand vehicle will last when driven over ghat roads and all the way to Hyderabad.

If you're in Hyd and driving an old car, if you have a kerala address of some sort please register the SUV there, bring it over to Hyderabad. Cops won't chase 15 year old vehicles for any sort of road tax.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 14:16   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Fairly low lifetime tax but you still have the fitness certificate to deal with. And then the wondering about how a 15 year old 2nd hand vehicle will last when driven over ghat roads and all the way to Hyderabad.

If you're in Hyd and driving an old car, if you have a Kerala address of some sort please register the SUV there, bring it over to Hyderabad. Cops won't chase 15 year old vehicles for any sort of road tax.
Fairly low lifetime tax - How much would that be? Calculated on the value i have paid to the first owner or the vehicle's original cost? Can you give me an example?

Fitness certificate to deal with - no idea what this is... not the PUC ?

Don't have a Kerala address.
Well, its a Land Cruiser. Paid the advance and waiting for NOC to pay the rest.
It has to travel about 950-1000 kms to reach here. How difficult is this route?
Old 11th March 2017, 08:31   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Fairly low lifetime tax - How much would that be? Calculated on the value i have paid to the first owner or the vehicle's original cost? Can you give me an example?

Fitness certificate to deal with - no idea what this is... not the PUC ?

Don't have a Kerala address.
Well, its a Land Cruiser. Paid the advance and waiting for NOC to pay the rest.
It has to travel about 950-1000 kms to reach here. How difficult is this route?
15 year old vehicles need a new fitness certificate where the RTO checks the vehicle and certifies that it is fit to be driven. http://www.e-challan.com/2013/05/how...-from-rto.html

The land cruiser is a good vehicle and well maintained ones last forever. It is also a rather big vehicle. Kerala has narrow two lane ghat roads and maniacal drivers so have fun getting your ride back to Hyderabad.
Old 11th March 2017, 11:55   #565
BHPian

Quote:
15 year old vehicles need a new fitness certificate where the RTO checks the vehicle and certifies that it is fit to be driven. http://www.e-challan.com/2013/05/how...-from-rto.html

The land cruiser is a good vehicle and well maintained ones last forever. It is also a rather big vehicle. Kerala has narrow two lane ghat roads and maniacal drivers so have fun getting your ride back to Hyderabad.
Thank you for the Advice. Will check with the local agents on the fitness certificate thing and if i will have any issues.
Heard that about the cruisers. Sure will take care
Old 14th March 2017, 17:43   #566

Hi,
I had bought a used Honda City in Bangalore and moved to Hyderabad. As soon as I moved, I paid the road tax in Hyderabad and got the vehicle registered. I have a couple questions with respect to the tax refund process in Bangalore (KA05).
1. Since I bought the car used, the original invoice and tax receipt (both of which I am in possession of) reflect the previous owner's name/details. Should I add any more documents to show the sale, when I apply for a refund in the Bangalore RTO? I am going to include new+old tax receipt, original invoice, new+old rc copy, two envelopes, current insurance and form 16 (KA road tax refund form).
2. What process overhead/delay might this add, the fact that it is a used car?
3. I had really procrastinated applying for the refund as I did not visit Bangalore again: I paid the Hyderabad road tax in November 2015. Is there some timeline this process is on.
Thanks in advance!
Old 14th March 2017, 18:15   #567
Senior - BHPian

Please check my posts in this thread some pages back. It will take a certain amount of back and forth shuttling between the Blr and hyd RTOs and the process itself is likely to take six to eight months or more.
Old 14th March 2017, 22:10   #568

Quote:
Please check my posts in this thread some pages back. It will take a certain amount of back and forth shuttling between the Blr and hyd RTOs and the process itself is likely to take six to eight months or more.
Thanks for writing! I did check the previous posts and have already completed the first half of transferring the registration to get a new TS number by paying the road tax -- mostly following instructions in this excellent thread.

Next is refund.

I also have gleaned steps from this thread to apply for a refund. My questions are specific though:
1. Used car, where the original tax receipt in Bangalore is on the previous owner's name -- not much info on this situation in the thread.
2. I completed the Telangana registration and paid tax in November 2015 -- am I any late to apply for a refund in March 2017?

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th March 2017, 15:24   #569
Senior - BHPian

You should be able to claim it - along with the usual docs please include the sale + transfer of ownership paperwork.

One thing though - I hope you have the original karnataka lifetime tax paid receipt for that car. If it is lying with the dealer that sold it to the original owner, you may have to chase after that (and even more paperwork from the dealer's bank, if the tax was remitted by the dealer via e-payment rather than DD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotransmit View Post
Thanks for writing! I did check the previous posts and have already completed the first half of transferring the registration to get a new TS number by paying the road tax -- mostly following instructions in this excellent thread.

Next is refund.

I also have gleaned steps from this thread to apply for a refund. My questions are specific though:
1. Used car, where the original tax receipt in Bangalore is on the previous owner's name -- not much info on this situation in the thread.
2. I completed the Telangana registration and paid tax in November 2015 -- am I any late to apply for a refund in March 2017?

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th March 2017, 01:20   #570

Quote:
You should be able to claim it - along with the usual docs please include the sale + transfer of ownership paperwork.

One thing though - I hope you have the original karnataka lifetime tax paid receipt for that car. If it is lying with the dealer that sold it to the original owner, you may have to chase after that (and even more paperwork from the dealer's bank, if the tax was remitted by the dealer via e-payment rather than DD).
I do have the original lifetime tax paid receipt with me. Thanks for the info!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks