Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 10:15   #571
BANNED

re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

I saw a post somewhere where a person cribbed to the GoI. On rising an RTI query, the reply he got was that rationalization of Road Tax was on the way as part of the GST, and then hopefully this issue will be addressed. Since GST is not that far let us wait and see.
Old 17th March 2017, 10:25   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I saw a post somewhere where a person cribbed to the GoI. On rising an RTI query, the reply he got was that rationalization of Road Tax was on the way as part of the GST, and then hopefully this issue will be addressed. Since GST is not that far let us wait and see.
Won't make a difference to the refund process or paying tax to states.

It just means that the habit of registering expensive vehicles in the north east or in some union territory like pondicherry or daman will go away because the tax rate will be the same across India.

Painful for bonafide vehicle buyers from those states of course but maybe people in high tax states like karnataka might get one or two percent of relief.
Old 28th April 2017, 15:08   #573
Senior - BHPian

Hello to experts here.
I'm in the process of transferring my vehicle from HR to KA and I've two queries.
1. Is it mandatory for the car to be present at both HR/ KA RTOs while getting the transfer process done ? Timing is such that I cannot hold onto the car in HR for long time process to finish.

2. Windscreen has a small crack. Will that cause a problem, if in case an inspection happens at KA RTO ?
Old 28th April 2017, 15:51   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1. Is it mandatory for the car to be present at both HR/ KA RTOs while getting the transfer process done ? Timing is such that I cannot hold onto the car in HR for long time process to finish.
At the HR RTO: you would be getting only the NOC from them. Vehicle/Owner need not be physically available for application or while granting an NOC. The NOC application has a section where it ask for the 'chassis pencil print', so better to copy it before sending the vehicle to KA. With relevant clearances (no-objections) from the national crime records bureau, from the financier (in case vehicle has a hypothecation) and other supporting documents (original RC, copy of insurance, tax receipt etc) the HR RTO can issue the NOC to you irrespective of where the vehicle is currently located.

At the KA RTO, when you are applying for a new registration mark (once again after submitting NOC from HR RTO, paying pro-rata LTT at KA, and providing other documentation), the vehicle needs to be presented and physically inspected (similar to the case of a new vehicle).

Quote:
2. Windscreen has a small crack. Will that cause a problem, if in case an inspection happens at KA RTO ?
Normally during the re-registration process, the RTO officials look only for basic things like whether chassis/engine numbers match the details submitted in the application for a new registration mark. It is not really a vehicle fitness/inspection test. Small cracks on windshield etc shouldn't be a problem to them.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 11:13   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
At the HR RTO: you would be getting only the NOC from them. Vehicle/Owner need not be physically available for application or while granting an NOC. The NOC application has a section where it ask for the 'chassis pencil print', so better to copy it before sending the vehicle to KA. With relevant clearances (no-objections) from the national crime records bureau, from the financier (in case vehicle has a hypothecation) and other supporting documents (original RC, copy of insurance, tax receipt etc) the HR RTO can issue the NOC to you irrespective of where the vehicle is currently located.

At the KA RTO, when you are applying for a new registration mark (once again after submitting NOC from HR RTO, paying pro-rata LTT at KA, and providing other documentation), the vehicle needs to be presented and physically inspected (similar to the case of a new vehicle).

Normally during the re-registration process, the RTO officials look only for basic things like whether chassis/engine numbers match the details submitted in the application for a new registration mark. It is not really a vehicle fitness/inspection test. Small cracks on windshield etc shouldn't be a problem to them.
Thanks Avinash for the precise reply and advise.

Chassis pencil print is a good point, I shall do that and keep it in record.
Spoke to some HR RTO fellas, they say the NOC will take one week's time after applying on 2nd May.
So, as of now my drive to Bangalore on 11th May seems to be in order.
Old 29th April 2017, 11:16   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hello to experts here.
I'm in the process of transferring my vehicle from HR to KA and I've two queries.

You are required to pay Tax in KA after 1 year of plying.

Waseem.
Old 29th April 2017, 11:21   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You are required to pay Tax in KA after 1 year of plying.

Waseem.
Waseem,
I know that and shall be paying the road tax well in advance.
Under the company relocation regulation, I need to finish the process within 6 months.
Old 29th April 2017, 13:10   #578
BHPian

Dear experts. Needed your guidance.
My car is purchased and registered in Ahmedabad.

When I moved to Bangalore, I took NOC from Ahmedabad RTO and paid road tax and registered the car in Bangalore (Yehalanka RTO) with the same GJ number. I got a Bangalore smart card as well.

Now my car is back in Ahmedabad after few* years. I am coming to Bangalore next week for 2 days and I wanted NOC from Yehalanka RTO.
With the discussion here, I am very much confused regarding the process.

I am okay to take agent help to bring NOC so that I can re-register car in Ahmedabad.*

I understand that multiple docs with forms required to submit at RTO (Invoice, PUC, Smart card etc). Do I needed to go for police NOC as well.

Please guide. Thanks.
Old 29th April 2017, 14:03   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Dear experts. Needed your guidance.
My car is purchased and registered in Ahmedabad.

When I moved to Bangalore, I took NOC from Ahmedabad RTO and paid road tax and registered the car in Bangalore (Yehalanka RTO) with the same GJ number. I got a Bangalore smart card as well.

Now my car is back in Ahmedabad after few* years. I am coming to Bangalore next week for 2 days and I wanted NOC from Yehalanka RTO.
With the discussion here, I am very much confused regarding the process.

I am okay to take agent help to bring NOC so that I can re-register car in Ahmedabad.*

I understand that multiple docs with forms required to submit at RTO (Invoice, PUC, Smart card etc). Do I needed to go for police NOC as well.

Please guide. Thanks.
I need to know why Yelhanka guys did not issue KA No. and why the smart care bore GJ No. instead of KA.

I am not sure if KA guys will issue NOC to you.I will speak to someone in the RTO and will revisit this thread soon.I will also help you claim your tax paid at Yelhanka as well.

BTW-Did you claim your tax back from AMD RTO.?

Waseem

Waseem
Old 29th April 2017, 15:05   #580
Senior - BHPian

Waseem bhai he is in the same situation I was in earlier. I got my road tax back but it took some effort.

GJ RTO will not be able to re register your car and you can't claim KA refund in this state. You will have to get a KA number for your car before an NOC for the car can be properly issued. Then go back to Gujarat with the NOC, convince them to reactivate your old number and it's tax, then file for a karnataka tax refund.

Takes months!! My advice is to sell the car in karnataka and get a new vehicle in Gujarat.
Old 29th April 2017, 18:18   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Waseem bhai he is in the same situation I was in earlier. I got my road tax back but it took some effort.

GJ RTO will not be able to re register your car and you can't claim KA refund in this state. You will have to get a KA number for your car before an NOC for the car can be properly issued. Then go back to Gujarat with the NOC, convince them to reactivate your old number and it's tax, then file for a karnataka tax refund.

Takes months!! My advice is to sell the car in karnataka and get a new vehicle in Gujarat.
Yes sir.I remember your case very well.Let me speak to couple of people in the department and will update this thread.

It is also imperative to know that why KA did not issue local No. after the NOC was submitted to them.

Let us wait for loving_alaap to get back to us.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 29th April 2017 at 18:22.
Old 30th April 2017, 16:58   #582
BHPian

Thanks a lot friends.
Yes my smart card is having GJ number. I don't know exactly why. This too I got after paying tax and having NOC from GJ RTO. It took lots of time.

No I didn't claim refund at GJ RTO. Honestly was not aware about it few years ago. Nobody advised me on that. Wish I would have taken help from team bhp that time. You are really helping troubled guys.

Since I can't come to Bangalore multiple times, I am okay to have only NOC as well. Refund is like a dream come true.

Since I have registered my car in Yehalanka RTO, will be going there only.

Thank you again to all of you.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2017 at 07:41. Reason: Several grammatical errors. Please proof read prior to submission. Thanks.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:13   #583
Senior - BHPian

Getting the refund will take you a few months of going back and forth. But since your car's road tax may be worth quite a lot (say 60..70k at a minimum) its worth following the refund process. Please check my post earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Thanks a lot friends.
Yes my smart card is having GJ number. I don't know exactly why. This too I got after paying tax and having NOC from GJ RTO. It took lots of time.

No I didn't claim refund at GJ RTO. Honestly was not aware about it few years ago. Nobody advised me on that. Wish I would have taken help from team bhp that time. You are really helping troubled guys.

Since I can't come to Bangalore multiple times, I am okay to have only NOC as well. Refund is like a dream come true.

Since I have registered my car in Yehalanka RTO, will be going there only.

Thank you again to all of you.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2017 at 07:42. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 12th May 2017, 11:23   #584
Senior - BHPian

This is what I see on the Haryana state RTO website, this is blatant daylight robbery.

In the case of vehicles used for personal purposes kept in the State without payment of Road Tax, the penalty is charged @0.5% of the lump sum one-time tax payable, on per day basis w.e.f 31st day from the date of purchase of the vehicle.

In the case of other vehicles, the penalty will be charged @ 1% of the road tax due w.e.f 31st day from the date of purchase of the vehicle in case of new vehicles, and w.e.f 1st May, 1st August ,1st November and 1st February for the quarters January-March, April-June, July-Sept and October-December respectively, in respect of the quarterly tax payable by already registered vehicles.

The maximum amount of penalty, however, will not exceed twice the amount of tax due.

I wonder why do we have such draconian laws in the country. I need to get a refund for my car's life tax paid in Haryana, I don't think they will show this eagerness while paying back, I am not sure if they will even pay back this amount.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 11:40   #585
BHPian

I just relocated to Hyderabad from Delhi. I must tell you I was mighty impressed with the professionalism with which the Hyd RTO handled the entire process. I found them to be far more responsive and professional than my native Delhi RTO. There was no need for middle-men as the process was quite straightforward once the NOC was obtained from Delhi. I still haven't applied for a TS number but the taxes are paid so I have my peace of mind.

Most Viewed