Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:54   #1
BHPian

Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Around eight months back, I shifted from Bangalore to Noida. Through a RTO Agent in Bangalore, I have applied for refund of road tax (around 20,000) as I had kept my new car in Bangalore for 1 yr only.

Has anyone ever applied for refund of road tax? If yes then how long did it take to get the refund?
Sush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush
Has anyone ever applied for refund of road tax? If yes then how long did it take to get the refund?
Although i shifted from Kerala to HYD, i went out of station and didn't pay the raod tax till now. But i did some research on the subject. Road tax rules depends on the state where you are paying. You might have to pay a percentage of the car invoice value(thats the rule here eventhough the percentage depreciates by 1 each year) as road new road tax. Refund will be on prorata basis from previous state(depends on the rules there).
refund is given defenitely from blore. but will take approx 3 months for getting the refund cheque. you can track the refund process thru the agent in blore. there is no need for re-registering thats what i heard here.
Old 28th March 2007, 18:32   #3
BHPian

Moving car between states - Road tax, refund etc???

Hi BHPians,

Couldn't find much information on RTO rules anywhere, so posting this one.
@Mods: Please move the thread to appropriate section if needed.

I am planning to move my Indica (2002 model) from Mumbai to Bangalore, temporarily for 4-5 months.

I've heard that if you need to drive the car in Bangalore for less than a year, you only need to inform the local RTO and pay some nominal road tax (you dont have to pay the entire road tax or re-register). How far is this true?

Bangalore has one of the highest road taxes (stands close to 10%), and i dont want to blow away my money for such a short duration.

Bangalore traffic cops have become stricter nowadays. To quote an incident, I took my bike from Mumbai (with MH-03 registration) to Bangalore. One fine day when i was returning home, cops caught me and asked for road tax receipt. Since i hadn't paid any tax, they wont let me off even with a fine and demanded that i pay the road tax (around 2200) or else my vehicle would be confiscated!
I've heard such stories from many car owners as well.

Fellow Bangalorean's can you throw some light?

Cheers,
Ajay
ajaysurfs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2007, 20:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Related to this I would like to know that if I drive into Karnataka (read Bangalore) as a tourist, for a few weeks, then also do one have to inform RTO & get a tax receipt?

And interestingly what if, Ajay you had told the cops who stopped your bike that you had just driven into Bangalore a few weeks back and that you were going back..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysurfs View Post
Hi BHPians,

Couldn't find much information on RTO rules anywhere, so posting this one.
@Mods: Please move the thread to appropriate section if needed.

I am planning to move my Indica (2002 model) from Mumbai to Bangalore, temporarily for 4-5 months.

I've heard that if you need to drive the car in Bangalore for less than a year, you only need to inform the local RTO and pay some nominal road tax (you dont have to pay the entire road tax or re-register). How far is this true?

Bangalore has one of the highest road taxes (stands close to 10%), and i dont want to blow away my money for such a short duration.

Bangalore traffic cops have become stricter nowadays. To quote an incident, I took my bike from Mumbai (with MH-03 registration) to Bangalore. One fine day when i was returning home, cops caught me and asked for road tax receipt. Since i hadn't paid any tax, they wont let me off even with a fine and demanded that i pay the road tax (around 2200) or else my vehicle would be confiscated!
I've heard such stories from many car owners as well.

Fellow Bangalorean's can you throw some light?

Cheers,
Ajay
Old 28th March 2007, 20:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
And interestingly what if, Ajay you had told the cops who stopped your bike that you had just driven into Bangalore a few weeks back and that you were going back..?
I wish cops would give a patient ear. But money talks and bull$#it walks. So pay up and go home is what they expect you to do.
Old 28th March 2007, 21:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

1) thread exists regarding this
2) road tax is damn costly @ bangy. Whn I enquired, I was told i will have to cough up 4100rs for my KL reg bike!
3) Was caught once, paid 200Rs
Old 28th March 2007, 21:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

if a permanent shift, you can ask for reimbursement (pro rated) from the origin state
Old 29th March 2007, 07:10   #8
BANNED

One of my uncles have used more than 7 cars for the last 10 years in Chennai with the Kerala registration. He told me that he had never encountered any problem with the cops. And if the cops questioned, he would simply answer that he just came from Kerala !!! I don't know whether it will work in Bangalore.

Infact during my last trip to Bangalore, I've seen very less number of traffic & ordinary policemen when compared to Kerala and other Indian states.

So how is the behaviour of Karnataka cops(in general) ? Are they approachable ?

Bangalore/Karnataka guys will be in a better position to reply than me !!!
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2007, 09:22   #9
BHPian

I use an Andhra Pradesh registered car and bike in Bangalore and though the cops here stop bikes, they dont stop cars. In any case, if you are using the vehicle for less than an year, you do not have to chnage the registration or pay any road-tax. I was stopped by a cop when my bike was 6 months old. He checked the papers and let me go. For details on this check this link Procedure for Re-registration
Old 29th March 2007, 11:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
One of my uncles have used more than 7 cars for the last 10 years in Chennai with the Kerala registration. He told me that he had never encountered any problem with the cops. And if the cops questioned, he would simply answer that he just came from Kerala !!! I don't know whether it will work in Bangalore.

Infact during my last trip to Bangalore, I've seen very less number of traffic & ordinary policemen when compared to Kerala and other Indian states.

So how is the behaviour of Karnataka cops(in general) ? Are they approachable ?

Bangalore/Karnataka guys will be in a better position to reply than me !!!
@mithun : Cops in Karnataka abound where they are not required. There will be a major traffic jam right below their nose, but they would rather pounce on the hapless motorist whose vehicle unfortunately bears an out of state registration.

I had posted this even before on a similar thread.. but the again, here goes.. My A.P. registered bike was a favourite target among the cops here, it was so frequent that at one stage my wife blasted the cop who dared to ask us to show the road tax papers. While we did manage to escape a couple of times or so, i eventually felt that it was anyday better to pay up, rather than go through this irritating exercise every time i spot a cop. Ended up paying about Rs.3400/- for a 2 and a half years old Pulsar. Made the mistake of approaching an agent who [pocketed about 700 bucks or more. NEVER make the mistake i did, and DO NOT go through an agent when paying the road tax.

Once u have ur papers in order they VERY grudgingly let you go.
I have seen them very frequently targetting 2 wheelers, but cars are safer here. But, its better to be prepared.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2007, 11:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Related to this I would like to know that if I drive into Karnataka (read Bangalore) as a tourist, for a few weeks, then also do one have to inform RTO & get a tax receipt?
Thats what i wanted to know? What does the law say?

Quote:
Would they believe that i would have driven my puny 100 cc bike all the way from Mumbai?
Old 29th March 2007, 12:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I was stopped by a cop when my bike was 6 months old. He checked the papers and let me go. For details on this check this link Procedure for Re-registration
He checked which papers? I am planning to keep all toll-receipts, so in case he stops me i have something to show him about my entry into Karnataka state. Wonder if these toll receipts have car registration number on them?

Dont want to re-register it. Just 4-5 months.
Old 29th March 2007, 12:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

I just took my vehicle from Pune to Hyderabad as I was sent to Hyderabad on company deputation for one month. The RTA in Hyd siezed my registration papers, driving license and insurance saying that I have to pay life time road tax here and get a refund when I go back !!

I showed evidence - toll reciepts with my vehicle no from Pune to Hyd dated just 2 days before the siezure and company guest house booking for 1 month, to the RTO himself. He just kept repeating that get a refund when you go back !! Everyone knows how difficult it will be to get a refund ! Finally he said, he will "help" me if I get a deputation letter from my Pune office.

Lets see how it goes... I am tired and sick of the whole thing, but I am determined not to pay up what is not due from me. I think they are targetting all hapless motorists so that they can artificially bloat up "revenue collection", before the end of the financial year.
Old 29th March 2007, 13:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I just took my vehicle from Pune to Hyderabad as I was sent to Hyderabad on company deputation for one month. The RTA in Hyd siezed my registration papers, driving license and insurance saying that I have to pay life time road tax here and get a refund when I go back !!

And I thought HYD was good...! The govt should search for such officers, transfer them to another state and Seize their vehicle when found driving with the same reg nos. This is bad...where are we all heading? Its like we are entering into a different country..I Dont think the Mumbai RTA has got any issues...I see cars and bikes from all over...specially GJ and GA registrations.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2007, 14:26   #15
Team-BHP Support

i had used my KL registered car in bangalore for 3 years and not even once it was stopped

rto checking try avoiding, coz they will take the papers and insist on road tax in bangalore

Most Viewed