Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 14:06   #166
BHPian

Re: Moving car between states - Road tax, refund etc???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
sir,

You have to pay life time tax asap for trouble free driving in Karnataka, especially in Bangalore.
No need to transfer the vehicle to Bangalore.Please go to your nearest RTO with your invoice copy and they will calculate the tax amount for you , make DD and preserve the receipt.

Later if you want to change your car to KA, no need to pay any Tax.
Thank you for the quick reply Rajith.

Could someone please share an approximation of the lifetime road tax for a 10 year old Honda city?
Old 31st October 2012, 14:20   #167
gemi_kk

Guys!! need help.

If i either Sell/Buy a car to/from a person who resides in another district in the same state. What is the ideal process to be followed.

Will i get a new number for my car, which would be in sync with other vehicles registered in my area or i will end up with the same old number.

I am asking this Q because. I am from hyderabad and if i consider buying any vehicle from Vijaywada/kurnool which fall under different district & region. As most of you know, there are lot of Telangana Issues going on here. In Telangana, some times people are targetting vehicles from other districts just based on registration number. Even in Andhra, they have targetted vehicles from Telangana. (few were reported)
I dont want my vehicle to be a victim in any such Mishaps.

P.s. Such incidents of damaging personal vehicles have happened twice or thrice, however as a precautionary measure i m just trying to check it out.

Old 1st November 2012, 10:51   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi All,

I have a 1 year old car and am currently out of Bangalore. It is currently lying parked. How can I transfer the car to Kolkata and then again bring it back to Bangy about 6 months later? Do I have to go through the entire process of NOC? I believe it is valid for 1 year. What happens after that? Will I not be able to use my car in bangalore after that?
I need an answer!! Help required guys
Old 1st November 2012, 11:11   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Around eight months back, I shifted from Bangalore to Noida. Through a RTO Agent in Bangalore, I have applied for refund of road tax (around 20,000) as I had kept my new car in Bangalore for 1 yr only.

Has anyone ever applied for refund of road tax? If yes then how long did it take to get the refund?
Refund and that too from Govt Dept.???? O.M.G. it becomes a project itself.
You will have leave aside every thing and follow up this recovery.It is like putting your hand inside a snake's mouth.If at all you get intimation of your money being refunded ,then there will be those creeps clerks asking for BRIBES before releasing your money.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:41   #170
BHPian

Regarding transfer of vehicles to Mumbai from another state:

Has anyone been successful in getting the entry tax set off against sales tax paid in the original state?
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:37   #171
Senior - BHPian

Why doesn't our blessed Government implement a system similiar to the "National Permit" as prevailing and being availed of since eons by the commercial vehicle industry and the tourist taxi trade?

In fact the Government can have something like:
1) North India Permit
2) Western India Permit
3) Southern India Permit
4) East India Permit
FINALLY
5) National Permit

-Vehicle owners about to migrate to other states can choose from the above depending on their requirements.
-They pay whatever the rate that has been fixed by the Government.
-They are issued with a token, differently coloured for the different permits to make them easily distinguishable to the authorities
- The Token is stuck to the windscreen

This will help us motorists to an infinite degree. With transferable jobs on the rise, it is very unlikely that honest Mr. Joe Public will remain stationary at one place for more than 3-4years before the ogres at Corporate HR shunts you somewhere else.
So how many times can Mr. Joe Public, say in a span of 7-8 years change his vehicle registration, pay the extra taxes etc , etc? Also, if the vehicle is on finance, its becomes another long drawn process to get the NOC from the bank as they will take their own time. With PSU banks it takes ages , if nigh impossible.

It's high time Mr. Chidambaram & Co. implements a solution and simplifies life for us "mango people" so that we can have at least one less thing to worry about !
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:56   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
With transferable jobs on the rise, it is very unlikely that honest Mr. Joe Public will remain stationary at one place for more than 3-4years before the ogres at Corporate HR shunts you somewhere else.
So how many times can Mr. Joe Public, say in a span of 7-8 years change his vehicle registration, pay the extra taxes etc , etc?
It's high time Mr. Chidambaram & Co. implements a solution and simplifies life for us "mango people" so that we can have at least one less thing to worry about !
Various proposals have been floated to ease the pain of interstate vehicle transfers, but none implemented yet. The problem is that this is another of those issues that impinges on state-level revenues and requires Centre-state coordination. Just see the amount of political football being played out on the issue of GST. A simple and uniform GST across states would greatly facilitate businesses, even if the rates are marginally increased. But states are loath to give up even an iota of their fiscal freedom, the convenience of the citizen be damned. A similar situation arises when it comes to road taxes, which go into state coffers.

When even a reform like GST, which has a substantial business lobby pushing for it, is finding it hard to see the light of day, what hope do we have for things like road tax reforms which merely make life a little easier for the mango man?
Old 12th February 2013, 16:54   #173
BHPian

I will be moving to Hyderabad from Bangalore from March'13 on wards with my KA registered car. So I have sent one of my friend to RTA office(Attapur) in Hyderabad to enquire about the quarterly road tax. The response he had got is no such option exists and he was told that complete road tax has to be paid .
>Can any one suggest me if anyone had paid the quarterly road tax in Hyd recently and what are the steps to be followed for doing this?
>What are the other possibilities than paying the life time road tax/keeping the car back in Blr?

Please suggest me on this .

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th February 2013 at 22:27. Reason: Only 2 smileys allowed per post, please read the board rules carefully before proceeding further, thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 20:46   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govs View Post
The response he had got is no such option exists and he was told that complete road tax has to be paid .
>Can any one suggest me if anyone had paid the quarterly road tax in Hyd recently and what are the steps to be followed for doing this?
>What are the other possibilities than paying the life time road tax/keeping the car back in Blr?
You don't have any option other than to pay life time road tax at the insane percentage levels.

RTA officials in Hyderabad is especially persistent on this (with quarterly targets for this too I think) and I'm sure they would catch a KA car within a month or two for sure.

If you are planning to shift permanently, you could change the registration and look at the road tax refund from Bangalore, though none of the RTOs in AP or KA show even 1% commitment of what they do to collect the tax in case someone asks for refund!
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 23:13   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be moving to Hyderabad from Bangalore from March'13 on wards with my KA registered car.
Yes, as mentioned my zenren you will have to pay the life time tax, get the vehicle re-registered with AP number then apply for refund in KA.

Another option could be, if you have plans to change the car in a year or two then try to prepone this plan, sell the car in KA and buy the new one in AP.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 13:58   #176
BHPian

Thanks Zenren and Arun for your reply.

Below was one of the post by Spadival on 13th April 2007 stating he could pay quarterly road tax successfully. I will try to enquire more about this personally before thinking of paying complete road tax. If anybody has any info please keep posted. I will share my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Yippe!! .. I got all my documents back today from the RTA after payment of the quarterly road tax. And the best part is that tax is effective till 30th June 2007.

Also, I found out why the RTO had a sudden change of heart about the availability of quarterly tax for ordinary mortals like me. I had emailed the Transport commisioner, Govt of AP, and it seems he looked into the issue.

Moral of the story: Knowledge is power - You just have to be aware of what you are entitled to, under the law of the land. RTO or any govt offical can not just make up some new rule, lie blatently about it and think they can get away with it !!
This was one of the post by Spadival on 13th April 2007. Looks like
Old 13th February 2013, 15:02   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Zenren and Arun for your reply.

Below was one of the post by Spadival on 13th April 2007 stating he could pay quarterly road tax successfully. I will try to enquire more about this personally before thinking of paying complete road tax. If anybody has any info please keep posted. I will share my experiences.
The rule clearly states the below points.
1. You have to pay road tax if you are in AP for more than 1 month.
2. You have to change your registration if you are in AP for more than 1 year.

So it is unlikely that you might find a rule that contradicts the above rules.

Technically going by the rule, you need not even pay the quarterly road tax if your stay is going to be less than 1 month. Here are the relevant posts from spaival describing his situation. His was a 1 month stay. If you are also in a similar situation where you can prove that you wouldn't be in Hyderabad for more than 1 month, then this could probably still work.

Quote:
I just took my vehicle from Pune to Hyderabad as I was sent to Hyderabad on company deputation for one month. The RTA in Hyd siezed my registration papers, driving license and insurance saying that I have to pay life time road tax here and get a refund when I go back !!

I showed evidence - toll reciepts with my vehicle no from Pune to Hyd dated just 2 days before the siezure and company guest house booking for 1 month, to the RTO himself. He just kept repeating that get a refund when you go back !! Everyone knows how difficult it will be to get a refund ! Finally he said, he will "help" me if I get a deputation letter from my Pune office.

Lets see how it goes... I am tired and sick of the whole thing, but I am determined not to pay up what is not due from me. I think they are targetting all hapless motorists so that they can artificially bloat up "revenue collection", before the end of the financial year.
Quote:
Well.. The same RTO who told me a week back that quarterly tax in liu of life tax is available only for central govt employees, has now quietly agreed to let me pay quarterly tax after I produced a lot of documentary evidence proving that I will be in Hyd for a short time only. .

I now have to pay a quarterly tax of Rs 1440 only.. a small "legal" (not bribe) price to pay for peace of mind in using my car freely in Hyd without being harrassed!
Have to say the attitude and the 'efficiency' of the RTA folks in spotting an out of state car hasn't changed in 6 years.

Last edited by zenren : 13th February 2013 at 15:07.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:23   #178
Senior - BHPian

I recently moved to hyderabad, So if i pay tax of hyderabad and register the vehicle for AP it will cost me 6% of Cost of vehicle, that is Rs 57,000/- . So when i apply for refund in Karnataka will i get back Rs 57,000/- from karnataka RTO? I had paid road tax of Rs 1,38,000/- and vehicle is now 3 years old.
Old 20th February 2013, 10:37   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I recently moved to hyderabad, So if i pay tax of hyderabad and register the vehicle for AP it will cost me 6% of Cost of vehicle, that is Rs 57,000/- . So when i apply for refund in Karnataka will i get back Rs 57,000/- from karnataka RTO? I had paid road tax of Rs 1,38,000/- and vehicle is now 3 years old.
Refund from Karnataka RTO will be at a depreciated percentage of original Road Tax paid. In your case it will be 81% of the amount paid at the time of registration if you have completed three years.

For more info please refer to this link:http://rto.kar.nic.in/
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 10:39   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I think the refund will be calculated on pro-rata basis and not on your road tax amount paid to AP RTO. So, you should be getting at least 75% of the amount that you paid to Karanataka RTO as refund.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed