Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 12:23   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Waseem ji, can you confirm the introduction of yearly tax in TS? I haven't yet come across any such news. I recently moved to Hyderabad and brought my OR registered car along with me. I'm not sure if I will settle down here and hence, the yearly tax makes perfect sense for me (just like the insurance premium).
Dear Sir,

Please refer to the attached pic.The proposal will be submitted very soon to the govt by the RTA.

Waseem.....
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-toi.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 10:10   #422

I drive my KA registration i10 in Mumbai for two years and was never asked for road tax paper. I guess it's true when people say Mumbai is the open to outsiders. Love Mumbai!
Old 12th November 2015, 12:03   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisek View Post
I drive my KA registration i10 in Mumbai for two years and was never asked for road tax paper. I guess it's true when people say Mumbai is the open to outsiders. Love Mumbai!
I was in Mumbai close to 2 years and drove an AP registered vehicle for 10 odd months.I was never pulled up by Police/RTO guys even once.

The same is the case with Delhi/NCR as well.No one bothers unless you carry valid documents.

Waseem.....
Old 15th November 2015, 04:39   #424
Team-BHP Support

Need help with available options / suggestions .

We have recently ordered new Car at Chandigarh and plan to use this at Kolkata , due to dealer policy they are giving us invoice for our Chandigarh address only which implies we will have to get this registered at Chandigarh and then send to West Bengal . Now when I tried to check with transporter I am being told to take delivery at West Bengal border and drive self to Kolkatta as else WB charge some entry Tax on cars which are less than 18 month old - is this correct information ?
Further what happens if we try to get this car re-register at Kolkatta will we need to pay entry Tax / VAT again ? or will it be Ok to drive on Chandigarh registered plates in Kolkatta

Dealer has given second option to Invoice us at our Kolkatta address but is asking for a huge premium as they need to pass about 5% of costs to other dealer ( some territory infringement penalties or whatever ) in which case I am curious to know if we will still liable to pay entry tax at Border and what will be % in this case & what happens at time of RTO registration - do they charge VAT over & above Road tax or just difference between VAT at Chandigarh / Kolkatta ?
Old 15th November 2015, 16:00   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Need help with available options / suggestions .

We have recently ordered new Car at Chandigarh and plan to use this at Kolkata , due to dealer policy they are giving us invoice for our Chandigarh address only which implies we will have to get this registered at Chandigarh and then send to West Bengal . Now when I tried to check with transporter I am being told to take delivery at West Bengal border and drive self to Kolkatta as else WB charge some entry Tax on cars which are less than 18 month old - is this correct information ?
Further what happens if we try to get this car re-register at Kolkatta will we need to pay entry Tax / VAT again ? or will it be Ok to drive on Chandigarh registered plates in Kolkatta

Dealer has given second option to Invoice us at our Kolkatta address but is asking for a huge premium as they need to pass about 5% of costs to other dealer ( some territory infringement penalties or whatever ) in which case I am curious to know if we will still liable to pay entry tax at Border and what will be % in this case & what happens at time of RTO registration - do they charge VAT over & above Road tax or just difference between VAT at Chandigarh / Kolkatta ?
1, Every dealership has a territory assigned and the dealer is not suppose to breach that.He will have to share the % of profit he is making out of this sale.

2, IIRC,WB charges 1% entry tax on the sale value.

3, You will not have to pay VAT again in WB but you will have to re-register your car in WB by paying LTT.(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2890168)

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 16:28   #426
BHPian

Ok- this is going to be a twisted tale:

1.I had applied for and got NOC for my KA registered beat in end- September 2015 for Kolkata RTO
2. Circa November, I am sent back to bangalore, and decide to bring my car back here
3. I did not apply for re-registration in WB yet

As I see, there are 2 options:
a) I apply for Non Utilization Certificate in Kolkata, submit in Bangalore RTO and cancel my NOC.
b) Bring my car back to Bangalore as it is, keep driving(as if I never left Bangalore) and extend the NOC, once 11 months arrive(Can anyone confirm that NOC is valid for 11 months? I read elsewhere that there seems to be no validity for NOC- mine does not have a "valid till" date.), post which take the car back to Kolkata and get it registered there.

I need help soonest!!
Old 25th November 2015, 21:33   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Ok- this is going to be a twisted tale:

1.I had applied for and got NOC for my KA registered beat in end- September 2015 for Kolkata RTO
2. Circa November, I am sent back to bangalore, and decide to bring my car back here
3. I did not apply for re-registration in WB yet

As I see, there are 2 options:
a) I apply for Non Utilization Certificate in Kolkata, submit in Bangalore RTO and cancel my NOC.
b) Bring my car back to Bangalore as it is, keep driving(as if I never left Bangalore) and extend the NOC, once 11 months arrive(Can anyone confirm that NOC is valid for 11 months? I read elsewhere that there seems to be no validity for NOC- mine does not have a "valid till" date.), post which take the car back to Kolkata and get it registered there.

I need help soonest!!
Get the NOC cancelled by getting a Non Utilization Certificate in Kolkata(not very easy to get in Kol) and get your Karnataka RC back.

God forbid if you are caught by the RTO in Karnataka while driving your car in Bangalore.

Waseem.....
Old 30th November 2015, 21:30   #428
BHPian

Tax refund possible if vehicle bought from another state?

Hello all,

I couldn't find information on this particular case. Apologies if it was already discussed.

In case a vehicle is bought from state (X) by a person residing in another state (Y) -- Assuming the buyer is able to pay the LTT as well re-register the vehicle in his home state (Y) within stipulated time limits (if any) -- is there a possibility of tax refund from state X to either the original owner or the new buyer? Or is it that the vehicle will have LTT paid for both state X and state Y and thus ply in both of them without any objections?

Avinash
Old 1st December 2015, 18:20   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Get the NOC cancelled by getting a Non Utilization Certificate in Kolkata(not very easy to get in Kol) and get your Karnataka RC back.

God forbid if you are caught by the RTO in Karnataka while driving your car in Bangalore.

Waseem.....
It is not so simple Waseem. I have to take the car back to Kolkata after 5 months. Can I not just extend the NOC(does it have any validity?), without getting a Non Utilization Certificate? I am OK with the cops catching me in Bangalore- I have paid my road taxes- so no fear
If I was caught in Kolkata , that would have been a different story altogether

I am asking for this option since it is almost impossible (As you mentioned) to get the NUC from Kolkata
Old 1st December 2015, 18:41   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

A simple case of mine of NOC issued from WB and a regn. & ownership transfer in Jharkhand has now crossed 1 year and it is still not done despite all paperwork being upto the mark. Despite paying the road tax in full with a late fine of approx 4K in JH. I had to pay the fine because road tax was not paid after issuance of NOC from another state. It is a different matter that this situation arose because JH RTO has been sitting and sleeping over my papers since last 9+ months. So, in short, I had to pay 4K as fine because of the incompetency of JH RTO. And even now, the ownership transfer process is not complete.

What kind of mockery of rule it is which makes things so tough for general people? Without getting the ownership transfer, I am not supposed to drive the car. The car would turn into scrap if I follow this rule. I was advised by folks in Kolkata that it would be better if I just transfer the ownership providing a fake address in Kolkata and easily drive around in JH since nobody is bothered here about outside state vehicles. But I chose to do the right thing and pay the road tax here, which obviously nobody in JH does. Don't know when will this ordeal come to an end?
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 19:42   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Hello all,

I couldn't find information on this particular case. Apologies if it was already discussed.

In case a vehicle is bought from state (X) by a person residing in another state (Y) -- Assuming the buyer is able to pay the LTT as well re-register the vehicle in his home state (Y) within stipulated time limits (if any) -- is there a possibility of tax refund from state X to either the original owner or the new buyer? Or is it that the vehicle will have LTT paid for both state X and state Y and thus ply in both of them without any objections?Avinash
Tax can be claimed back by the new buyer but couple of rogue state(s) will not refund the tax and will tell you that YOU did not pay the tax and hence you cannot claim.

Quote:
It is not so simple Waseem. I have to take the car back to Kolkata after 5 months. Can I not just extend the NOC(does it have any validity?), without getting a Non Utilization Certificate? I am OK with the cops catching me in Bangalore- I have paid my road taxes- so no fear
If I was caught in Kolkata , that would have been a different story altogether

I am asking for this option since it is almost impossible (As you mentioned) to get the NUC from Kolkata
I did not say it is impossible.Kolkata RTO guys are known to create trouble and will ask you to pay LTT and claim it back instead of taking a NUC.I came across a similar case few months back and that guy eventually managed to get a NUC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
A simple case of mine of NOC issued from WB and a regn. & ownership transfer in Jharkhand has now crossed 1 year and it is still not done despite all paperwork being upto the mark. Despite paying the road tax in full with a late fine of approx 4K in JH. I had to pay the fine because road tax was not paid after issuance of NOC from another state. It is a different matter that this situation arose because JH RTO has been sitting and sleeping over my papers since last 9+ months. So, in short, I had to pay 4K as fine because of the incompetency of JH RTO. And even now, the ownership transfer process is not complete.

What kind of mockery of rule it is which makes things so tough for general people? Without getting the ownership transfer, I am not supposed to drive the car. The car would turn into scrap if I follow this rule. I was advised by folks in Kolkata that it would be better if I just transfer the ownership providing a fake address in Kolkata and easily drive around in JH since nobody is bothered here about outside state vehicles. But I chose to do the right thing and pay the road tax here, which obviously nobody in JH does. Don't know when will this ordeal come to an end?
I am sure you must be the first person to pay LTT for a Non-JH vehicle in Ranchi.

A visit to the transport commissioner's office will help you and file an RTI as well.

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 19:48   #432
BHPian

Quote:
I did not say it is impossible.Kolkata RTO guys are known to create trouble and will ask you to pay LTT and claim it back instead of taking a NUC.I came across a similar case few months back and that guy eventually managed to get a NUC.

Waseem.....
Oh no Waseem, I said it is almost impossible for me ( I tried some methods). With me not being in Kolkata , it is very difficult.

Also, the RTO addressed to is Kolkata in my NOC. Incidentally, Kolkata has 3 (maybe 4) RTOs. Can I get the NUC from any one, or only from the one which my address falls under.

My main question still remains: Can I extend my NOC without the NUC? The agents in Bangalore as well as Kolkata are literally scratching their heads on this . They simply have no clue!!
Old 1st December 2015, 19:53   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Tax can be claimed back by the new buyer but couple of rogue state(s) will not refund the tax and will tell you that YOU did not pay the tax and hence you cannot claim.
Thank your Sir for the response. If it is a case of rogue state/RTOs, then I should clarify that I am the buyer residing in Kerala (State Y), who intends to buy a used car from Maharashtra (State X).

I checked and confirmed the procedure for paying LTT and applying for re-assignment for registration in Kerala. Surprisingly the information for the same is available clearly in the Kerala RTO/MVD website and even an application of registration re-assignment can be made online. The tax to be paid during re-registration though is exorbitant considering the price of the used car. Hence I am curious to understand the possibility of refund from parent state.

Is MH also one among the rogue states?

Avinash.
Old 2nd December 2015, 20:34   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh no Waseem, I said it is almost impossible for me ( I tried some methods). With me not being in Kolkata , it is very difficult.

Also, the RTO addressed to is Kolkata in my NOC. Incidentally, Kolkata has 3 (maybe 4) RTOs. Can I get the NUC from any one, or only from the one which my address falls under.

My main question still remains: Can I extend my NOC without the NUC? The agents in Bangalore as well as Kolkata are literally scratching their heads on this . They simply have no clue!!
You cannot extend your NOC without a NUC from the Kolkata RTO which it was addressed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Thank your Sir for the response. If it is a case of rogue state/RTOs, then I should clarify that I am the buyer residing in Kerala (State Y), who intends to buy a used car from Maharashtra (State X).

I checked and confirmed the procedure for paying LTT and applying for re-assignment for registration in Kerala. Surprisingly the information for the same is available clearly in the Kerala RTO/MVD website and even an application of registration re-assignment can be made online. The tax to be paid during re-registration though is exorbitant considering the price of the used car. Hence I am curious to understand the possibility of refund from parent state.
Is MH also one among the rogue states?
Avinash.
No Sir.Its not very difficult to get a refund from MH unless the RTO is in Pune as they are known to create trouble during refunds.

Waseem.....
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:22   #435
BHPian

Quote:

No Sir.Its not very difficult to get a refund from MH unless the RTO is in Pune as they are known to create trouble during refunds.

Waseem.....

I understand that MH has a different tax structure for individual and corporate ownerships (7% and 14% respectively if not mistaken). I am not sure if the rates were same in 2010 also (the year of vehicle registration). The vehicle is a corporate/company registered and based out of Mumbai RTO. I am curious if that is a deterrant for refund, as I will be registering it in my personal name and there isn't any individual/corporate based different taxation here in Kerala.

Even in Kerala MVD there is a whole wealth of information on rules, regulations, circulars etc (well they are sorted pretty badly). But tax refunds is a grey area.

Kind Regards,
Avinash

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks