Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2007, 14:50   #16
BHPian

I had to pay the Life Tax for my car for Hyd, after I had the misfortune of getting stopped by the RTA and had my RC and licence taken. THey said I can claim refund. But then on the bright side, having paid the tax, I have breezed through a few RTA checks after I've shown the tax reciept.

One question though, the RTO who processed my tax, said that the RTA will not stop me now, but the cops may!!! My question then is , as I don't have NOC for my car, am I liable to be challaned by the cops, even though I have paid the road tax and have insurance??? Because the first thing the cops ask is NOC!!! It is was my opinion that a NOC is needed only during sale or transfer of registration.
Old 29th March 2007, 15:00   #17
BHPian

@spadival. The RTO is taking you for a big ride. If you can prove that you are not going to be in HYD for a period of more than one year then you dont need to change registration of the Car. You might need to pay a years road tax though. If your period of stay is going to be less than 3 months (i think it may even be 6 months) you dont have to pay one single cent to any one. You are legally entitled to drive the car in any state for a period of less than the above i have mentioned (Technically as a tourist). Tell the rto you are going to file for a Right to Information under the Act by the same name and would like information as to where it states that you need to pay tax if you have sufficiently proven that you need not pay tax

Also to clarify the subject of the thread Ajay you are correct. If your stay is for 4-5 months you would be safe if you pay one years road tax. If your stay is going to exceed an year then you are legally obliged to transfer the registration of the Car into the state you are travelling. If your car is less than two years old you might have to pay the state tax on a pro rated basis also.

Also i find it really disturbing that most of the Cops tend to seize the vehicle which is really not warranted for unless or until there is sufficient evidence to point out that the vehicle or owner will not adhere to the legal system.

A little off topic. If any govt officer tries to act really hard to work with and is un reasonable then you have the right to file for Information. This is a really good tool to get information that as a citizen of india you are entitled to and tells the party involved that you are not going to back down if you are legally right.

For more info or FAQ on RTO check this FAQ out . It is a little long but is really informative www.indiacar.com/askanexpert

For the right to information act information: Right to Information Act (India)

Hope the above info helps

Cheers
Old 1st April 2007, 16:52   #18
BHPian

I used drive a GOA reg car in mumbai for 3 yrs never had a problem.
Old 2nd April 2007, 02:43   #19
BHPian

The only problem in kerala i have faced is that you cant take a non kerala vehicle for driving test( including taking an '8'). I went with a pondi vehicle for my driving test. And regularly i have nt used other state vehicles.
Old 2nd April 2007, 10:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysurfs View Post
He checked which papers? I am planning to keep all toll-receipts, so in case he stops me i have something to show him about my entry into Karnataka state. Wonder if these toll receipts have car registration number on them?

Dont want to re-register it. Just 4-5 months.
He checked the bike's RC book. As it was only 6 months old at that time, he let me go
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:02   #21
BHPian

Rto

Sounds scary! Does it mean if you drive to another state (AP/KA/KL) as tourist you have to be prepared for harrassment? But none of the experiences posted here seem to be as tourists, mainly as bikers living in another state. It seems cops have some magical power to identify who is living there versus genuine visitor? (Based on how you look, with / without family, hours etc?)

Any stories of car owners who are tourists being harrassed/bribe demanded?
Old 2nd April 2007, 13:08   #22
Team-BHP Support

@ggkg : The general funda applicable here is that while cars can be expected to do long distance interstate travel, a bike cannot/does not. Hence, any biker is considered as living in that particular place.
Old 2nd April 2007, 13:24   #23
BHPian

Guys,

I used to drive my dads KL reg car in Bangalore. Generally cops do not target out station cars, but RTO does.Cops do target bikes and i have 4 of my friends paid close to Rs.2500. For cars the best way is to avoid the places where RTO checks the vehicles regularly ....like Old Madras Road, 100 ft Rd Koramangala....Other wise i used to get a No pollution certificate from kerala when ever i drive down there and keep it as a proof. I drove the KL car for almost 4 years without paying a cent as tax.(On enquiry at the RTO I was told that there is only life time tax and no yearly tax !) My expense was a couple of 100 rupees when the cops tried harassing me in the night. Once I was cought by the RTO and I managed to slip off showing the pollution certificates...worked pretty well....So the suggestion is not to pay that huge amount until you are caught or if you want a piece of mind pay up...
Old 2nd April 2007, 13:32   #24
BHPian

guys,

I often visit Goa and at the border, I always pay the Tourist Tax (minimal amount of around 500-1000 bucks) and then enter the state.

Does other states too have such a system for Tourist Tax?
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Guys,

I used to drive my dads KL reg car in Bangalore. Generally cops do not target out station cars, but RTO does.Cops do target bikes and i have 4 of my friends paid close to Rs.2500. For cars the best way is to avoid the places where RTO checks the vehicles regularly ....like Old Madras Road, 100 ft Rd Koramangala....Other wise i used to get a No pollution certificate from kerala when ever i drive down there and keep it as a proof. I drove the KL car for almost 4 years without paying a cent as tax.(On enquiry at the RTO I was told that there is only life time tax and no yearly tax !) My expense was a couple of 100 rupees when the cops tried harassing me in the night. Once I was cought by the RTO and I managed to slip off showing the pollution certificates...worked pretty well....So the suggestion is not to pay that huge amount until you are caught or if you want a piece of mind pay up...
Thanks Abhilash on this one. I am planning to get a challan from my transporter friend as proof (about transporting my car by road BOM-BLR). Anyways i will be in Bangalore just for 4-5 months.
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

My safari has a MH registration and is here in Delhi/Gurgaon 2002. I've never been stopped till date by the RTO or the cops regarding road-tax issues. Touch-wood...!!
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:46   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss View Post
guys,

I often visit Goa and at the border, I always pay the Tourist Tax (minimal amount of around 500-1000 bucks) and then enter the state.

Never heard of such a tax??

I am from Goa working in bangalore, i visit Goa often in my Bolero which is KA registered. I never had to pay any such tax for a personal vehicle.

and 500-1000 is not really a minimal amount..................
Old 2nd April 2007, 16:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
guys,

Man for each visit if you are paying this much you might as well pay the life tax. 10-12 visit should equal that price.

BTW do you drive a yellow plate registration?
Old 10th April 2007, 12:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
@spadival. The RTO is taking you for a big ride. If you can prove that you are not going to be in HYD for a period of more than one year then you dont need to change registration of the Car.
Well.. The same RTO who told me a week back that quarterly tax in liu of life tax is available only for central govt employees, has now quietly agreed to let me pay quarterly tax after I produced a lot of documentary evidence proving that I will be in Hyd for a short time only. .

I now have to pay a quarterly tax of Rs 1440 only.. a small "legal" (not bribe) price to pay for peace of mind in using my car freely in Hyd without being harrassed!
Old 12th April 2007, 15:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
guys,

I am from Goa and I never paid such a tax ever in my life. All our cars have been MH registered and I did not encounter any tax.

Any idea whom you pay this to is it the Maharashtra authorities or Goa border auth?

Most Viewed