Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 18:17   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Experts in Bangalore, need some guidance.

Have been toying with the idea of getting my Maharashtra registered car in Karnataka and wanted to know how big hole would be to the pockets. BHPian Parag Sachania shared a pdf document of the road tax rates applicable for older vehicles and the figures were mind boggling. For my 7 yr old car the tax rate is seen as 59% of the cost of the vehicle. Cost of vehicle includes cost as per purchase invoice, excise duty, Surcharge or cess, GST as applicable in the state of Karnataka. Although it is not clear whether the cost of vehicle is last applicable cost for the discontinued model sold in the state.

Anyone paid the road tax recently for an out state registered vehicle? Pls share the cost paid.

Attaching the document for reference, refer to Part A5 of the document (pg 13)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TAXATION SCHEDULE 2020 NEW.pdf (5.53 MB, 667 views)
Old 18th November 2020, 18:53   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Anyone paid the road tax recently for an out state registered vehicle? Pls share the cost paid.

Attaching the document for reference, refer to Part A5 of the document (pg 13)
The last time I did this was in 2015 and I had to pay almost the full road tax for my 3 year old Amaze.

No, nothing has changed. Sell your car if you are relocating to Bangalore for more than one year, the RTO and cops are still very interested in chasing out of state cars.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 11:20   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Experts in Bangalore, need some guidance.
Have been toying with the idea of getting my Maharashtra registered car in Karnataka and wanted to know how big hole would be to the pockets.
I am also thinking about it and came across a very detailed step by step blog on how to go about it (https://sagaranjos.blogspot.com/2018...her-state.html). It has a tax calculator tool as well with the updated rates. Basically a one stop shop...
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 12:23   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I am also thinking about it and came across a very detailed step by step blog on how to go about it (https://sagaranjos.blogspot.com/2018...her-state.html). It has a tax calculator tool as well with the updated rates. Basically a one stop shop...
Thanks a ton mate, the blog is really very helpful and shows the process in detail step by step.

However looking at the process I really wonder whether I would want to register my vehicle in Karnataka. The higher road tax is one deterrent, the process is more painful IMHO. The decision would be more based on how long will in intend to stay in Bangalore and will it make sense if the time period is 3 yrs or less.
Old 19th November 2020, 12:50   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton mate, the blog is really very helpful and shows the process in detail step by step.

However looking at the process I really wonder whether I would want to register my vehicle in Karnataka. The higher road tax is one deterrent, the process is more painful IMHO. The decision would be more based on how long will in intend to stay in Bangalore and will it make sense if the time period is 3 yrs or less.
I would transfer the car if I were to live in Bangalore for 2+ years. Additional tax payable here can be recouped by selling the car here itself. One should at least get it back if not more. And the peace of mind that comes during your stay here is priceless!!
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 16:16   #831
BHPian

I have a KA registered car and live in Bangalore. I may relocate to Noida in a few months. Being so far, clearly options like driving back to Blore to do a PUC every 6 months or so and have toll receipts is ruled out! So questions:

1) How long can I drive in the Noida area (which is part of UP I believe) with my KA license plate car? (grace period)
2) How much is the fine if the cops decide to fine me?
3) After the grace period, how much do I need to pay to UP RTO to be able to stay legal? is it just road tax or some other taxes besides that? Does UP have depreciation rules?
4) Do I necessarily have to get a UP license plate? I'd rather not so that many years later if I move back to KA, my retained KA license plate would help.
Old 19th November 2020, 16:49   #832
Senior - BHPian

One year is the grace period

Cops are going to fine you for whatever they can catch you for, or however much "chai paani" they can get out of you. Karnataka for example, the cops look for TN vehicles, flag them down even if they are within the speed limit and not running past a stop light etc, and check for RC, DL, Insurance, Pollution etc, or whether you have sun film installed .. any excuse to levy a fine.

The fine amount is less (or sometimes none) if you speak the local language fluently and politely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
1) How long can I drive in the Noida area (which is part of UP I believe) with my KA license plate car? (grace period)
3) After the grace period, how much do I need to pay to UP RTO to be able to stay legal? is it just road tax or some other taxes besides that? Does UP have depreciation rules?
4) Do I necessarily have to get a UP license plate? I'd rather not so that many years later if I move back to KA, my retained KA license plate would help.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:12   #833
BHPian

Hi All

I am planning to shift from Delhi to Kolkata (West Bengal). I have a Delhi registered car under bank hypothecation.

I am currently a bit confused on the flow chart I need to follow. I understand the key pointers that need to be covered, but am I bit confused about the order of things.

Should I start with the bank, or the local RTO for NOC? DO I reach out to the RTO in Bengal with bank documents or reach out to bank with new registration docs?

Will truly appreciate any help in this regard.
Old 9th December 2020, 18:45   #834
BANNED

I still cannot understand why registration cannot be national. States are not that poor. The worst off are owners who have to move states - like servicemen.

I have bee making noise on this for quite some time.
Old 12th December 2020, 14:34   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
I've been seeing a lot of HR 98 registered cars in Gurgaon. A friend of mine got a Seltos recently and was told HR 26 won't be used from now on due to some reason. HR 98 doesn't show any results on Google. Does anyone have any context?
Its the new Badshapur RTO, simply put, everything left of the expressway(delhi to jaipur direction) is HR98 and right is HR26.
BNG-motorhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 14:40   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I would transfer the car if I were to live in Bangalore for 2+ years. Additional tax payable here can be recouped by selling the car here itself. One should at least get it back if not more. And the peace of mind that comes during your stay here is priceless!!
I'm in the same boat, HR26 to KA process, could you help me with process? I'm already in Karnataka with the car, please if you could guide me. Also, was hiring the agent helpful?
Old 12th December 2020, 16:19   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
I'm in the same boat, HR26 to KA process, could you help me with process? I'm already in Karnataka with the car, please if you could guide me. Also, was hiring the agent helpful?
Did you get a NOC from your RTO in Gurgaon? After that, re-registering is easy enough, it is quite fast actually because they are very eager to accept a fat DD for Karnataka road tax.

They will first give you a Karnataka RC with your Haryana number still on it. Make sure to also apply for a KA number or you will not be able to easily sell the car in Karnataka, and nor will you be able to apply for a refund of your Gurgaon taxes.

My advice would be to drive the car back to Gurgaon and sell it, frankly. The tax refund is the most painful part of the process.
Old 12th December 2020, 18:34   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
Transferred my car from HR to KA in 2018.
Below was the tax calculation break up.
Hope this helps.

Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-screenshot-20201212-6.03.26-pm.png
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 19:18   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Did you get a NOC from your RTO in Gurgaon? After that, re-registering is easy enough, it is quite fast actually because they are very eager to accept a fat DD for Karnataka road tax.

They will first give you a Karnataka RC with your Haryana number still on it. Make sure to also apply for a KA number or you will not be able to easily sell the car in Karnataka, and nor will you be able to apply for a refund of your Gurgaon taxes.

My advice would be to drive the car back to Gurgaon and sell it, frankly. The tax refund is the most painful part of the process.
No I just got the car here(situational necessity) So I like maintaining cars and have a 9.8 yr old Skoda Fabia, the residual tax refund from HR would be under 10K I assume, planning to let it go. Its in my dad’s name. NoC is costing abt 3K via agent. So id be able to apply in KA for a reregistration.

Plan is to get NoC, apply for transfer of ownership in KA(without my dad being here), pay LTT, get KA registration.

Planning to get the agent only for the NoC part. Rest self managed in KA.

Does this sound reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Transferred my car from HR to KA in 2018.
Below was the tax calculation break up.
Hope this helps.

Attachment 2092183
Thanks!! Did you self manage or got an agent to help out. Do refer the agent if he/she is reliable.

Last edited by bblost : 12th December 2020 at 19:50.
Old 13th December 2020, 10:29   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I have a KA registered car and live in Bangalore. I may relocate to Noida in a few months. Being so far, clearly options like driving back to Blore to do a PUC every 6 months or so and have toll receipts is ruled out! So questions:

1) No one cares. Rule is not enforced anywhere. They will fine you only if you break any rules and for the rules you break.
2) Depends. Simple rule - dont break rules, no fines. Worst case, some shady constable looking for making a quick money might try to scare you by trying to find issue with other rules/documents (jumping light etc). He would say that as vehicle is non local, they will confiscate documents and come to court and all. He would be confusing you with a tourist. Tell them you live there only. Don't be scared, be firm and yield a little. Adjust maadi.
3) Not applicable.
4) Not changing (or even worrying about) registration is the best option, irrespective of where you wish to sell the car.

Last edited by atnyia : 13th December 2020 at 10:34. Reason: changed phrasing
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks