Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2021, 18:38   #856
BHPian

Re: Dilemma of an Indian Car lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Tough choice.
Personally, I avoid RTO/NOC stuff. If I have to move states I would sell it off and then buy another at the new location. .
Thanks for the response. This is what seems to be the thing. There is a lot of uncertainty at the moment. And with all this I don’t wanna let go my first bought with my own money :(. I still remember when I booked this one on the launch day as my first car..

It seems I may need to take some hard decision in this regards though. Will also wait if someone else has a totally different opinion on this..
Mickey1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 21:46   #857
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma of an Indian Car lover

I can feel the pain, best is to keep driving as you were and take a call 6 months before your registration expires in DL, hopefully you have better clarity then.

My bike(my first purchase) is registered in KA but I have also paid the road tax for MH (didn't change the registration though) as the bike was there for a few years.
Of course I didn't have the issue with the 10years thing.

But my bike's registration will be out in 5 years from now, still not sure how to go about it. I would never want to sell it but my situation doesn't allow keeping multiple vehicles. So I am banking on the fact that I will have better clarity in a year else I will upgrade, sooner rather than later.

Good Luck
Old 7th January 2021, 23:24   #858
Senior - BHPian

Transferring a TN registered car to KL - full detailed process

Transferring a car from one state to another should be something that is simple and easily done online. Especially today, when the Govt has not only linked State RTOs into Parivahan, but also has access to all information about you, your vehicle, it's insurance, its Pollution Under Check (PUC) certificate etc.

In the ideal world, to get NOC :
- User submits request online to the RTO where vehicle is registered entering required details & paying the relevant service charge online.
- RTO looks up it's database for any pending dues / penalties against the vehicle or crimes in which vehicle might be involved.
- If all is well, NOC is issued which the user downloads & prints.

In the ideal world, to register in another state :
- Apply online in the relevant form to the new RTO, upload RC, NOC, Insurance, PUC, Address proof and pay the taxes and service charges online.
- A timeslot is fixed for verifying originals of the uploaded documents and to check the car.
- If all is well, new number issued and RC despatched in a week.

But hey this is India, and our government / bureaucracy has to make things as convoluted and confusing and time-consuming as possible for the public.
Hence listing the realworld procedure I followed to get NOC for my TN registered car & get it registered at Kerala.

Documents / forms to be submitted at TN RTO for NOC :
1) Filled-in 2-page NOC request Form-28 (in triplicate, 4 if hypothecated) - available online at TN RTO website.
Chassis number of the car should be pencil-shaded on the right-long edge of the forms.

2) Original Registration Certificate (RC) of the car (keep a few copies with you) & Life-tax paid challan (keep a copy).

3) Copy of valid insurance of the car.

4) Copy of valid PUC of the car.

5) An address proof (original & copy). A Rs.4 court fee stamp.

6) TN Police NOC, the procedure to get this is as below :
- To be applied at Police Commissioners office Vepery (EVR/PH Road) - opposite Dinathanthi office
- Go in person at 10AM to Gate-3 & take entry pass, Being a hi-security area certain items might not be allowed inside.
- Documents needed - Original RC & copy, Insurance copy, Emission copy and an Address/ID proof
- Fill & submit form for NOC with copy of above docs & Fee of Rs20
The Police NOC is nothing but a simple online database check for any traffic/crime violations related to the car, which shouldn't take more than a few minutes to check & print. But here they will ask to come 2 days later to collect the NOC.

Most Chennai RTOs have option of filing for NOC online, paying the fees (Rs50) online and some also have the option to book a timeslot online to go submit originals for verification. For some weird reason, my RTO TN-10 Valsaravakkam had the option to submit application & pay fees, but not for booking timeslot.

Once all documents are submitted at the RTO, the NOC pasted behind the original RC + 2 copies of NOC should reach you in a week max.
Since I couldn't be in Chennai, had to engage an agent. If not, I would have done it myself & saved 3K, which IMO is exhorbitant for the simple task.

Procedure at Kerala RTO to register car here after getting NOC from TN (or other states) :
Submit the following documentation :
1) Original RC with the NOC pasted behind it & a copy (the 3rd copy of NOC is for you)
2) Address change request Form-33
3) Address proof and copy (Aadhar)
4) Form-27 Application for New Registration Number (other state vehicle)
5) A Notarized affidavit on Rs100 stamp paper with Rs100 Notary stamp (standard format available at Notary office)
6) Self-addressed stamped envelope (Registered Post stampage - Rs42 stamp IIRC)
7) A passport size photograph
8) An NCRB report for your car (the local Akshaya centre will do it for Rs10 or so)
Or you can generate the report @ https://ncrb.gov.in/en/motor-vehicle
9) Copy of Insurance & PUC

Pay the required taxes and fees at RTO. New RC should reach you in a week.
The Kerala part could be done yourself and is straightforward - no need for any agents or bribe. Atleast not in KL-31 RTO.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th January 2021 at 23:38.
supremeBaleno is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 13:23   #859

Re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Hi All,

I shifted from Bangalore to Gurgaon in Oct' 20. I have a used Honda Civic (Jan 2011 regd. originally) for which I have already procured a NOC dt. 4th Nov from the Bangalore RTO.

I am in touch with an agent recommended by my company helpdesk since the past two weeks who is stalling to proceed with the transfer process saying that currently, no RTO in Gurgaon is accepting transfer requests from other states for vehicles older than 2-3 yrs.

Can esteemed members from GGN confirm if his above statement is true? My vehicle is a petrol one, and has a registration validity till Jan'26.

Also, can somebody please confirm on the following:

1. How long will this NOC be valid before it needs to be re-requested? I am fearing that if this window is only 3 months, I will again need to issue a fresh NOC in Feb'21.

2. Will appreciate contact details for a reliable RTO agent in GGN- will love to have a second opinion on this from an on-ground person.
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:10   #860
Senior - BHPian

Re: Transferring a TN registered car to KL - full detailed process

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Pay the required taxes and fees at RTO. New RC should reach you in a week.
The Kerala part could be done yourself and is straightforward - no need for any agents or bribe. Atleast not in KL-31 RTO.
Hey Supremebaleno, good to know about your experience at KL-31 RTO. Did you apply for refund of Tax paid in TN? How was the tax calculated in your case in KL?

Let's meet up sometime you are in KL-31, KL-29 is not far.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 16:26   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hey Supremebaleno, good to know about your experience at KL-31 RTO. Did you apply for refund of Tax paid in TN? How was the tax calculated in your case in KL?
Since my car had completed the 15years for which tax was paid in TN, there was nothing left to apply for.

And, apparently in KL, for cars above 15years, it is a standard 5-year tax of 8K odd, whether it is a Merc or an M800.
For my Baleno1.6, the MV tax for 3-Mar-2020 to 31-Dec-2024 was 8600 + 172 = 8772.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Let's meet up sometime you are in KL-31, KL-29 is not far.
Sure.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 15:57   #862
BHPian

Esteemed Team Members,

Need your suggestions since I am moving to Hyderabad from Noida.

-Is grace period of 1 year for life tax payment under MV act applicable in Telangana or they have their own regulations?
-If grace period of 1 year is applicable, will NOC still be required from Noida RTO?

I am trying to figure out what would be the best option because my stay in Hyderabad may not be more than a year and I may need to shift to Bangalore after a year.

So does it make sense that I continue in Hyderabad with same UP registration ( of course if permitted on legal grounds) and before moving onto Bangalore, have the NOC from Noida RTO after a year?
Old 15th March 2021, 15:43   #863
BHPian

Folks, dealer says number plates will take 3-4 days to arrive. Is it legal to drive within the state, without a number plate but with a "Regd" sign only, after having paid all state taxes ? If yes, for how many days ?

Last edited by vinu_h : 15th March 2021 at 15:52.
Old 15th March 2021, 16:54   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Folks, dealer says number plates will take 3-4 days to arrive. Is it legal to drive within the state, without a number plate but with a "Regd" sign only, after having paid all state taxes ? If yes, for how many days ?
Sure. If you already have the number but just not the plates get a plate made at any local number plate shop or stick a paper sticker with a printout of the number.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:47   #865
BHPian

Hi
I will probably be shifting my Activa from its current RTO TN 39 (Tirupur) to PB 65 (Mohali). I did a dummy run with the forms available on Vahan site. Will those forms, along with some police report (which was again generated online) be sufficient for the NOC process? I'll have to travel almost 300 kms to the RTO (without the scooter) and will be having only a day's time so I want to get it done correctly in the first go.

Last edited by jasjotbains : 15th March 2021 at 22:48. Reason: Typos
Old 16th March 2021, 13:52   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

Am considering a pre worshipped car from KA 01 regn, had a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone succeeded in getting RTO refund from Bangalore RTO?

2. If i choose to go ahead with transferring the car to a Bangalore address and then later getting a refund to transfer it to my MH address will the ownership change again from 2nd to 3rd(will be transferring from same name)?

3. Any good/professional RTO agent in Bangalore? Please DM me the contact.
Old 16th March 2021, 16:00   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

2. If i choose to go ahead with transferring the car to a Bangalore address and then later getting a refund to transfer it to my MH address will the ownership change again from 2nd to 3rd(will be transferring from same name)?

3. Any good/professional RTO agent in Bangalore? Please DM me the contact.
I had transferred my i10 from bangalore.

1. I also need to know

2. No, it would be second owner only. My case it remained 1.

3 Mr. Sharif 9341215530 , had got this from some thread on the forum itself. Very professional. I couriered all papers from Jharkhand to a friend in Bangalore who handed over to him and then took NOC from him. Very good experience. I don't remember the price paid but was reasonable and I didn't negotiate.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 16th March 2021 at 16:01.
Old 16th March 2021, 19:31   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

RTO refund is possible but will take months - see my earlier posts in this thread from a few years back.

If you want to shift the car back don’t even bother transferring registration, sell the car and buy a used one for the duration of your Bangalore stay, or use Ola Uber.
Old 18th March 2021, 16:31   #869
BHPian

Hi - My friend has a MH Pune registered polo that is currently being used in Bangalore. He wants to change to KA number but that is not possible without NOC from Pune RTO. Can someone share contact of a reliable RTO agent in Pune who can help with the NOC without the need to travel?
Old 1st April 2021, 20:42   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Documents / forms to be submitted at TN RTO for NOC :
Hi supremeBaleno. I am transferring my Activa from TN39 (Tirupur North) to PB65 (Mohali). Just have a few queries which I shall be grateful if you can clear since I am 300 kms away from TN39 and have 1 shot to get things done and dusted.

1) Original Registration Certificate (RC) of the car (keep a few copies with you) & Life-tax paid challan (keep a copy) - Noob question. Where can I find the life tax paid challan? I dont remember getting any document like this during delivery of the vehicle.

2) An address proof (original & copy). A Rs.4 court fee stamp - Which address proof? My future address? I had given the address of my bank while getting the vehicle. And the Rs 4 court fee stamp has to be pasted on which form?

3) TN Police NOC, the procedure to get this is as below: Will the NOC obtained from NCRB be valid?

Most Chennai RTOs have option of filing for NOC online, paying the fees (Rs 50) online and some also have the option to book a time slot online to go submit originals for verification. Originals as in address proof, insurance and PUC?

Once all documents are submitted at the RTO, the NOC pasted behind the original RC + 2 copies of NOC should reach you in a week max.
This will come to my new address or the old one where the vehicle is (was) currently registered?

If there is anything else that you can recollect, do let me know. Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed