Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Maruti S-Cross today?
Yes 257 60.76%
No 166 39.24%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 21:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Voted YES.

I own a 1.3 for the last 3 years had done 73k kms and is completely happy with the car except for the low power output. I was trying to sell my car and was looking for a lateral upgrade to a 1.6. I had found few cars within Kerala in excellent condition and had almost closed the deal. But my business got better during these recent times and now my mind is between to buy the same car again or to move on to a new Seltos or even a used Compass.
Old 5th September 2020, 22:15   #32
GTB
BHPian

voted for YES!

When I was looking for a facelift of S-Cross in 2017, I looked for 1.6L in the used market. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good one. Hence I bought 1.3 DDiS. I am happy with the car. I appreciate its build quality inside-out.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:41   #33
BHPian

The 1.6L version was sadly way overpriced due to a fully imported engine. This also meant higher maintenance expenses and spares issues. The imported engine also were very sensitive to the quality of fuel etc in our country. This used to lead to more problems and low mileage. I know of folks who got 5-6km of mileage and got rid of the S Cross due to that.
Old 6th September 2020, 02:41   #34
BHPian

Would have voted YES

I drove a friend's 1.6 S-Cross from pune to mumbai and loved every bit of it. I never thought I would say that for a Maruti after spending years with a swift dzire but here I am. Unlike other Marutis, I found this to be really well built and having a diesel mil different (better) from the national engine (1.3) was such a surprise!

Of the Maruti cars I drove, I think this and SX4 were extremely competent products but did not do as well as other cars from the same manufacturer

Mods: Just wanted to know why am I not able to vote on any of the polls?
shishir333 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 03:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Yes, for the 1.6 diesel only. It is like having your cake and eating it too - Superb build, handling, service, and (expected) reliability.

Caveat:
Might not be the car for people looking for an easy to drive commuter. I've heard so much about the 1.6s turbo lag from my friend who absolutely hates driving his car in choc-a-bloc traffic.
Old 6th September 2020, 09:59   #36
BHPian

Voted Yes.
I own First generation one with 1.3 ddis engine in alpha variant. Of all maruti cars at that time, scross had the best build quality. It is not comparable to tata nexon or vw vento for sure, the other two cars that i own.
But in its own right it’s a decent vehicle with very good features like auto IRVM, auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, all wheels with disc brakes, steering with rack and reach adjustments, etc.
In 2015 when I purchased this one for 10.90L on road, a very important feature like auto IRVM was not available in a 25L toyota fortuner. My point being, MS didn’t do much cost cutting in this product. Yeah, it shared many parts with vehicles like swift but when i weighed pros and cons, it was a straight forward choice, also because of the offer that i had got at that time.
This engine has its shortcomings no doubt, but for a midsized family with limited usage or a chauffeur driven vehicle or a vehicle sharing home with other options, its not a bad choice at all.
So 1.3 or 1.6, if you identify your requirements you will have your answer.
Thanks.

Last edited by chintu_91 : 6th September 2020 at 10:02. Reason: Felt a word or two needed changes.
Old 6th September 2020, 10:27   #37
Team-BHP Support

Voted NO!

I really like that 1.6 diesel, but the car is pretty average otherwise - especially the dull looks of the first generation. Would have liked to own the 1.6 back in the day, but this car hasn't aged gracefully and the modern 1.3 diesel and 1.5 petrol versions leave it with no goodwill legacy either.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 10:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

I think the S-Cross is still a very safe used car alternative, like the Honda City. However, I feel the S-Cross is a bit overrated in all aspects. Its got good build quality for a Maruti, but nothing great as such. Secondly, on the 1.6 diesel, if you have driven the 1.6 VW Skoda Diesel or even 1.6 diesel from Hyundai, this is not very different on the road. On paper the torque figures may seem awesome, but in real life the engine is just at par with the above engines.
But the 1.6 would be very hard to find in the S-Cross and the 1.3 is so lazy on this car. It feels very strained on the S-Cross.
motorworks is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 11:23   #39
BHPian

The 1.6 is an all time dream for any enthusiast. It's true that it's performance is way beyond the MS standards, but reading the reviews of the engine failing due to bad quality fuel causes a horror story image in my mind. If that issue wasn't present, then eyes closed, S-Cross 1.6 was the best in the segment.
Old 6th September 2020, 13:32   #40

Scross 1.6 pocket rocket is one of the best cars I have ever owned. It’s been 4 years of fuss free ownership having crunched over 42k Kms. The only grouse as many hv pointed out, lack of rear a/c vent. As our official review mentioned it’s definitely The Highway king with impeccable high speed manners. I usually change my rides every 4 years but this one would stay. As for looks dept it’s love it or hate it, as an owner I overlooked it for its superior engine and handling. I would definitely say Yes to this jewel if one was to get it around 6.5 lakhs.
KK Sitaram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 16:29   #41
BHPian

I may buy one (of course the 1.6!) for what it is, a powerful, big hatchback. I am one of those who found the quality of plastics to be just like any other new Maruti (and yes, the showroom example was rattling already!) and nothing more, or may be I expected more.

Nothing special about the 1.3. There are many other cars in that range which are better than this.

Never liked the styling given that droopy nose. Looked old design, too conservative when it launched. Maruti could have done something more, a stubby nose and a slightly higher ride would have definitely increased the sales I believe.

Having said that, I must say, it drives good and a very practical car for family duties.

Last edited by ganesc : 6th September 2020 at 16:33.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 06:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Wouldnt mind owning a well maintained low mileage S-Cross with that stonker 1.6 diesel. Its my favorite Maruti in the line up.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 7th September 2020 at 06:14.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:31   #43
BHPian

Voted No.
Having just sold my 4year, 70,000km S Cross 200 Zeta (which even made it to Ladakh & back), I made a promise to myself that I'll never be buying a Maruti ever again! It might be the most solid Maruti, but that's just no competition for a European or even a Tata.
onedotsix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:38   #44
BHPian

Voted "Yes" but only for the 1.6 diesel at 6.5 Lakh ball park. The massive torque of the 1.6 diesel, solid build quality and hassle free ownership backed by Maruti ASS. Combination of these factors strike the perfect balance between head and heart IMHO at this price range. As far as the dated looks is concerned the face lift grill (if can be fixed neatly), and a set of sexy alloy wheels will enhance the looks and I can live with the car for another 5 years .

I also believe If somebody already has a modern car which makes lot of sense practically but not a Driver's delight and is looking for a 2nd car (6 - 7.5 Lakh budget) with driving pleasure as a priority, a 1.6 Diesel S-Cross is a strong contender.
Old 7th September 2020, 13:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

I will, but only the 1.6L diesel variant, preferably in blue colour! That was truly a vehicle ahead of its time and with great build quality and performance to boot. Coupled with Maruti's hassle free ownership experience, my checklist is complete with the only reservation being the uninspiring looks. However, I would probably be able to live with that as a trade off for its list of virtues.

Overall, a solid vehicle and a very capable mile muncher with all that space, practicality and torque on offer. Not an easy vehicle to drive in the city though, since the few times that I have driven it, I have found the clutch to be pretty heavy.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed