Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Maruti S-Cross today?
Yes 260 60.61%
No 169 39.39%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 14:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Voted a NO, one because the question was about a pre-owned S-Cross.

As I complete almost 5 years with the S-Cross, I have thoroughly enjoyed what comes closest to owning a European crossover - be it overall quality, driving dynamics or practicality.

Looks, obviously, are subjective but I believe it was the wheels that mostly turned popular opinion against the S-Cross. For those complaining about the S-Cross not sporting an SUVish stance, it was never meant to. Although, unsurprisingly, Maruti has quietly rechristened the "Premium Crossover" to "Refined SUV" for the petrol avatar.

Now, apart from the fact that I’m not interested in a 1.6, what compelled me to vote for a no was that Maruti has done nothing to entice existing customers and lure them back to showrooms by way of offering products that they do almost everywhere else! Sorry if that was inappropriate voting, but I hope it was clear why.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 14:54   #47
BHPian

Voted NO!

I do love the fact that S Cross First Gen. had the 1.6 Diesel (I myself drive a 2012 VW Vento 1.6 TDI) but the poor sales of 1.6L, fully imported and question on spares and parts, pretty average nature of car in all other depts like interiors, switch -gear, etc. has made me vote a NO.
Old 7th September 2020, 16:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

I have not voted, as I already own the vehicle in its 1.6 avatar.

Like Keynote, I too benefited from the reduction in prices and got the car for ~15L in 2016. Its been 4 years and 80,000 kms and it has been a very good ownership experience. The only downer is that I have covered around 500kms in the last 5 months, but that's not the car's fault.

I plan to keep it till it completely dismantles by itself, so hopefully for another 4-5 years.

Also, I got a Maruti listening to my heart and not my head , which I suppose is rare
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 17:24   #49
BHPian

Voted Yes,

I considered the 1.6L option when I was car hunting. All the available options were out of state (mostly NCR) so dropped it from the list.

Plus points - the space (3 abreast in the back), the engine and the all around discs (though some one posted earlier in the thread that the rear brakes were not very effective)
Mar21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 12:04   #50
BHPian

Voted NO. Reasons -

1. Looks
2. Looks
3. Strange body shape - neither a sleek sedan, nor a proper mini-suv
4. Bland interiors
5. Looks?

Those who say the 1.6 engine, agreed, it's a gem, but, I'd rather pick up something that performs both in the looks department & has a strong heart which is tune friendly.
McLaren Roxx is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 21:39   #51
BHPian

Voted No.

Reason being its Maruti and that would be my least preferred car and moreover the look of the car isn't appealing. Front looks so aggressive but the entire car is subtle.

Engine response to revs is also not that great and steering feels heavy especially making U turns.
Old 8th September 2020, 22:06   #52
BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Voted Yes.
I won a 1.3 and one of the very first owners who bought it without a test drive. It has been a blissful 5+ years and 45k kilometres.

My suggestion would be to go only for 1.3 pre-owned car. This car is built to last, unlike any Maruti. Of course you can find a Figo with a much lower price which will be quicker but it cannot provide the dynamics, efficiency, interior space and quality, build etc. You can definitely go for a well maintained 1.3 if you buy it as a second hand and accept it's shortcomings.

On the contrary, I wouldn't buy one or for that matter any Maruti because Maruti is far behind than other manufacturers. Even after 5 years my car has exactly the same features as the new one. But that's not the discussion here.

Last edited by sou_3749 : 8th September 2020 at 22:08.
Old 8th September 2020, 22:42   #53

No Way Jose! The number of "Yes" on this thread is an indicator why India is being used as a dumping ground for older models by all companies in general. The car was outdated on launch and overpriced.
Accelro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 08:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelro View Post
No Way Jose! The number of "Yes" on this thread is an indicator why India is being used as a dumping ground for older models by all companies in general. The car was outdated on launch and overpriced.
@Accelro - can you explain why you feel that Scross is outdated and overpriced?

I understand if somebody tells me VW Polo/Vento twins are outdated. The indian generation has been stopped elsewhere except in India.

I also understand when somebody tells me that karoq is overpriced in India. Karoq starts in the Euro market for 20k Euros and is priced at the same ballpark range as Scross in Europe. In India karoq sells at a 100% premium.

The current Scross model still sells in Europe and other markets. It's also very reasonably priced when you compare with cars like duster, karoq and Seltos and their price differential in the other markets like Europe.

The engine in Scross/Brezza/Ertiga are different from what's available elsewhere but it's a new engine which caters to the market conditions here. We are talking about a country where the highest speed limit is 120 kms and that limit is really the exception for a very few roads. Fuel efficiency is a priority because the government taxes fuel at 100%. The current engine5(1.5P) and previous engine(1.3D) was actually apt for 99% of the market.

Obviously you hate the car and Maruti in general. I respect that. However IMHO it's not fair to say that the Scross is outdated and overpriced.

I rest my case!
vishnurp99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 14:25   #55
BHPian

Voted No.

The 1.6 was a stonker when released, but the subsequent 1.3 are not. We really have very few 1.6 for discussion here so it is mostly the 1.3 for all practical purposes.

Today, as a buyer I have better options like the Ford diesels which are as good. or even the Honda diesel for a highway drive.

This car has limited off-road capabilities and the modern sub-SUVs fill the slot better.

Would have bought it when it was launched as 1.6 but will not it today.
Old 10th September 2020, 15:21   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
The engine in Scross/Brezza/Ertiga are different from what's available elsewhere but it's a new engine which caters to the market conditions here. We are talking about a country where the highest speed limit is 120 kms and that limit is really the exception for a very few roads. Fuel efficiency is a priority because the government taxes fuel at 100%. The current engine5(1.5P) and previous engine(1.3D) was actually apt for 99% of the market.
Money and what you get with it.

A Hyundai Venue at 12L is now an acceptable purchase price for a sub4M, at 14L it still sells in bucket loads - the game has moved on. In comparison S-Cross gives you a bigger car with bigger engine, so all good? Nope! At 14L you would rather buy a Seltos HTK+ or similar spec Creta.

There is very little to take one away from a Creta or Seltos, those things can attract customers from a very wide range of segments. S Cross cannot occupy that customer`s mind, its difficult unless that person is only looking at a Maruti - which by the way there are a lot, so Scross still sells.
Old 10th September 2020, 17:06   #57
BHPian

Voted NO to the S-Cross. Felt sad about it as it was a looker and had better build than the others in MSIL stable. But the cons outweigh all the pros

The 1.3L DDiS did not do justice to the car and is a NO. Thankfully the BS VI norms kicked it out of the park.

The older petrol engine was a joke nobody bought into whilst even with the current 1.5L is just too underpowered for such a huge vehicle.

That leaves us with the 1.6L DDiS which unfortunately had serious quality and maintenance issues (was fully imported too) and was finally discontinued altogether.
Old 10th September 2020, 17:13   #58
BHPian

Voted: Yes.
  • S-Cross isn't a great looker in general but I am good with its appearance.
  • Over the past 5+ years of ownership I have had a lot of memorable moments with the car - Long drives, DIYs, Meets.
  • It's help me navigate tough roads.
  • Ride comfort and handling at high speeds is great.
  • Pretty easy on my wallet.

The only thing I miss is, out on the highway the super performance of 1.6. I'll get a pre-worshipped one later. With a remapped 1.3, it cruises all day long at 120 KMPH with ease. Keep the speeds at 100 Kmph and it has consistently returned a mileage of 19-20 KM/l of diesel with A/C. Keep it at 120 and it drops by 1 KM at best. In the city, it gives me about 15-16 km/l with my driving.

I think to the south of 15-L for a crossover the S-cross is a pretty good overall package.
Old 10th September 2020, 20:27   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
@Accelro - can you explain why you feel that Scross is outdated and overpriced?

I understand if somebody tells me VW Polo/Vento twins are outdated. The indian generation has been stopped elsewhere except in India.

I also understand when somebody tells me that karoq is overpriced in India. Karoq starts in the Euro market for 20k Euros and is priced at the same ballpark range as Scross in Europe. In India karoq sells at a 100% premium.

The current Scross model still sells in Europe and other markets. It's also very reasonably priced when you compare with cars like duster, karoq and Seltos and their price differential in the other markets like Europe.

Obviously you hate the car and Maruti in general. I respect that. However IMHO it's not fair to say that the Scross is outdated and overpriced.

I rest my case!
Hey Vishnurp99,

Let me start answering your points in reverse order - I do not hate the car or Maruti! Our Family's first car was a Maruti and I really loved the first gen Swift Diesel even though it was lil better than a Tin Death Cage when it came to Safety. See where I am going with this - because people started calling for better safety in cars and NCAP reports the govt is mulling over ABS and Airbags and better crash worthiness across which is firmly needed for the tin cars that Maruti makes in comparison to say TATA (they have their own issues and niggles which is a different story)

The poll was for - would you prefer buying a used Maruti Scross for which as you can see everyone answering on this thread mostly say yes for the 1.6 which are miniscule even then they would only opt it for the engine not the car as a whole package.

The Scross was launched in Aug 2015 by which time the 1.3 - which had the maximum sales & waiting periods was already an old engine which had be done to death in Multiple iterations of the Swift/Dzire and frankly was underpowered for the Scross & the 1.6 pricing was just for milking the public these factors put me off the car in general.

For me specifically the car didn't tickle my fancy as the styling was for an overgrown hatch but that is neither here nor there for our discussion but as I said that was my personal opinion. But the lack of a reverse camera or sensors, good plastics, climate control, fog lights etc etc across the 1.3 and some were only available on 1.6 Alpha version for a premium car was a bummer and they used the same steering wheel which you can find in a celerio - please note these were some of the things which came to the top of my head as I was really interested in the car back then but they might not be compeletely accurate. If you do have the car I wish you enjoy it but it's just not for me. Cheers!
Accelro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 23:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelro View Post
Hey Vishnurp99,

Let me start answering your points in reverse order - I do not hate the car or Maruti! Our Family's first car was a Maruti and I really loved the first gen Swift Diesel even though it was lil better than a Tin Death Cage when it came to Safety. See where I am going with this - because people started calling for better safety in cars and NCAP reports the govt is mulling over ABS and Airbags and better crash worthiness across which is firmly needed for the tin cars that Maruti makes in comparison to say TATA (they have their own issues and niggles which is a different story)

The poll was for - would you prefer buying a used Maruti Scross for which as you can see everyone answering on this thread mostly say yes for the 1.6 which are miniscule even then they would only opt it for the engine not the car as a whole package.

The Scross was launched in Aug 2015 by which time the 1.3 - which had the maximum sales & waiting periods was already an old engine which had be done to death in Multiple iterations of the Swift/Dzire and frankly was underpowered for the Scross & the 1.6 pricing was just for milking the public these factors put me off the car in general.

For me specifically the car didn't tickle my fancy as the styling was for an overgrown hatch but that is neither here nor there for our discussion but as I said that was my personal opinion. But the lack of a reverse camera or sensors, good plastics, climate control, fog lights etc etc across the 1.3 and some were only available on 1.6 Alpha version for a premium car was a bummer and they used the same steering wheel which you can find in a celerio - please note these were some of the things which came to the top of my head as I was really interested in the car back then but they might not be compeletely accurate. If you do have the car I wish you enjoy it but it's just not for me. Cheers!
Point Taken. But think from the point of view of masses.
Would you buy a scross 1.3 top end at 6-7 lakh or a similarly spec'ed creta 1.4 for 9 lakh?
When someone buys a second hand car, he will compare apple to apple with a budget in mind. Does it justify it's second hand value?
How many people bought creta with 6 airbags? Even if it's available for resale, will you still pay the high price for a BS4 engine or would you rather buy a venue?
Let's face the truth, Scross is definitely not popular neither the best package out there. What's good here is balance between price and package. That's my opinion, no disrespect.
sou_3749 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks