Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Maruti S-Cross today?
Yes 260 60.61%
No 169 39.39%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 23:53   #61
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelro View Post
But the lack of a reverse camera or sensors, good plastics, climate control, fog lights etc etc across the 1.3 and some were only available on 1.6 Alpha version for a premium car was a bummer and they used the same steering wheel which you can find in a celerio Cheers!
Thank you for sharing your thought process. All of those features are actually available in the higher 1.3 models. if you expect all of these in the base model, then you do have very high expectations.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 01:23   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelro View Post
But the lack of a reverse camera or sensors, good plastics, climate control, fog lights etc etc across the 1.3 and some were only available on 1.6 Alpha version for a premium car was a bummer
I'm afraid you are wrong in this statement. 1.3 Alpha and 1.6 Alpha had the exact same features. 1.3 Zeta had a reverse cam which 1.6 Zeta did not have!. S-Cross had all the basic safety features like ABS, airbags and all 4 discs on all 4 variants.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th September 2020 at 02:35. Reason: Quote trimmed, post fixed.
CrossLife is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 10:47   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post

I had found few cars within Kerala in excellent condition and had almost closed the deal.
Bro currently I am on the lookout for a pre-owned scross1.6. Can you share the ones you have found. I couldn't find a good car in the 7lk ballpark. Can you please help me.
Old 17th September 2021, 20:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Just picked up a well maintained Pre-Owned S-Cross Zeta 1.6. It's a 2015 manufactured car registered in 2016. It's a company lease car transferred to the employee, so technically second owner car.
Most importantly the car is in stock condition and done just about 42000Kms with full service history and no insurance claims through out.
Car came shod with Continental tyres which have seen less than 10000 kms and a battery which was put in last year.

The car was thoroughly checked at Nexa Service, got an all clear from them.

This will be a stand in car till the time there is a good viable EV option in the market, hence didn't want to get a new car for may be a year or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-20210917_160412.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-20210917_194904.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-20210917_194928.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-img20210914wa0011.jpg  

speedmiester is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 20:14   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Just picked up a well maintained Pre-Owned S-Cross Zeta 1.6. It's a 2015 manufactured car registered in 2016. It's a company lease car transferred to the employee, so technically second owner car.
Most importantly the car is in stock condition and done just about 42000Kms with full service history and no insurance claims through out.
Car came shod with Continental tyres which have seen less than 10000 kms and a battery which was put in last year.

The car was thoroughly checked at Nexa Service, got an all clear from them.

This will be a stand in car till the time there is a good viable EV option in the market, hence didn't want to get a new car for may be a year or two.
Congrats speedmiester on the 1.6, it's a capable car.

Is this the same car which was listed on carwale, Zeta variant? I had spoken to the owner two weeks ago and was quoted little higher. I was checking out on 1.6 for my BIL. Could you mention how much you got it for?

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 17th September 2021 at 20:16.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 20:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Congrats speedmiester on the 1.6, it's a capable car.

Is this the same car which was listed on carwale, Zeta variant? I had spoken to the owner two weeks ago and was quoted little higher. I was checking out on 1.6 for my BIL. Could you mention how much you got it for?

KK
No, this is the Zeta variant, the one on carwale is the alpha variant. I got it directly from the owner through Olx.
Closed the deal in one day as it is very hard to find stock 1.6 S-Cross in good condition with such low odo reading.
Sharing the price on PM.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 22:46   #67
BHPian

4.5 years and 32k later with a 1.3 Zeta, I can safely say that I got a car which appealed to both my head and my heart. I have had no issues driving this in Bangalore traffic and my outstation journeys have been a breeze. The split rear seats with ISOFIX are practical and the interiors are great! Running costs have been quite affordable. I feel that the S Cross is so good that it will be tough to upgrade to something substantially more meaningful unless I spend close to 45L next on a brand new car. So for those considering it as a used car, it's a no brainer. I picked this over a Brezza back in 2017 and have no regrets whatsoever.
Pyrotek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-inked20211010_171714_li.jpg
My Pre-Owned S-Cross 1.6 Zeta

A bit of backstory:

I had a 2016 Ford Ecosport Titanium + Diesel bought new and had no plans of buying another car till 2023. I had driven 87000+ kms in 5 years with zero issues. Of these mileage close to 75K+ kms were on highways and again 55K+ kms of these were just between Bangalore and Mysore.

My Ecosport served me well and the only modification I had on it was the foglamp projectors. Ecosport gave me the confidence to drive on any roads and at any time of the day or night. I have driven multiple 24hrs drives just for the love of driving. Still miss my Ecosport. It was almost perfect and reliable. The first set of Goodyear tyres lasted me 70000kms and the stock brake pads were replaced at 82000kms only upon my insistence and the service advisor was reluctant to change them as it had life left for another 15000Kms. Never had any issues with the Ford Service and the cost of service even as Ford ASS was quite cheap compared to the competition.

Come 2021, there were rumours of Ford exit from India and this was prematurely confirmed in July 2021 by an acquaintance of mine. I took the hard decision to sell my Ecosport back then. Spinny offered a good price for my car and within one day my Ecosport was sold.

Here’s the parting shot of my Ecosport as it was driven away.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-20211101_072000.jpg

Plans for my next car:

I had no immediate plans of buying any car. My wife’s Ignis was sufficient for our use as it’s WFH for both of us. But still I was scouting through classifieds to satisfy my itch of having my own car. Pretty much most of my free time was spent between multiple websites and test drives.

I had no preset budget, I was looking for cars right from 5L-30L and was only looking at pre-owned examples. This one would be a stop gap purchase till a viable EV is launched.
All I needed was a fun to drive car and something that I can hold on to for a bit longer time if I do not find a proper EV which matched my requirements.

Some of the cars I checked out

• Grand Vitara
• Kizashi
• S-Cross (only 1.6)
• New Elantra
• Tuscon
• Fortuner
• Corolla Altis
• Innova Crysta
• XUV500
• Octavia
• Kodiaq
• Yeti
• BMW X1
• BMW 3 Series
• Audi Q3
• Merc GLA Class

Since I was WFH, I could check out a lot of cars. But except for couple of cars, I was not satisfied with most of them.

Two cars that came close was a 2016 Single Owner S-Cross Alpha 1.6 done just about 19500Kms, took a test drive and before I could finalize, the car was sold.

Second was a 2015 Single owner BMW X1 with about 31000Kms with full service history. This was from a used car dealer and he was not willing to negotiate the price nor open to send the car for a thorough check at BMW service station.

In between, I checked out XL6 Automatic upon my wife’s insistence when I dropped off her Ignis for service. Took a long test drive of 35Kms and came away impressed, my wife and kid were all insisting me to get the XL6. But I could not convince myself driving a MUV.

Getting S-Cross’d

In the interim, my brother booked a Harrier and was looking to sell his Honda City Diesel. He had offers from his friends, but since I needed a second car, he gave his car to me. This was just 3 days before my friends and I had plans for a weekend drive to Udupi. For our return drive back to Bangalore from Udupi, my friend insisted on taking the Shiradi Ghat. Though the road was good in the ghats post that it was a nightmare. His Nexon was taking a beating, but still was much better than the crawling hatchback and sedans. I made up my mind against Sedans.

The very next day, I returned the City to my brother and was scouting the classifieds. I found one 2016 Silver S-Cross Zeta 1.6 listed by the owner on Olx. The car had done 42000Kms with full service history.

Immediately dropped a message to the owner and we chatted on Whatsapp. The seller shared full service history, insurance and other details on whatsapp, my mind was half made that night. Next day morning, I was at the seller’s place. at 8:30 in the morning Took as short test drive, paid a 2K deposit and informed I will need to get it checked at the service station before I take the final decision. Seller obliged to my request and I fixed up an appointment at Nexa service for next day.

It is a Company lease to employee transferred car, so technically it’s a Second owner car but driven by single driver. The engine was untouched and in stock condition which was one of my requirement. Car was shod with Continental tyres which has seen less than 5K Kms and a new battery installed in 2020. Insurance was valid till Jan 2022 and has no claims with 50% NCB.

I got the car fully inspected and got the wheel alignment done as well at Nexa service. Got the all clear from the service advisor. Transferred the amount through NEFT and completed the paperwork same day and got the car.

So far I have driven about 4000Kms in 45 days since I got the car and here are my impressions.

• Engine Engine Engine. The 1.6 engine is a brute and the torque is addictive. The only reason S-Cross is in my shortlist.
• Decent looker
• Good amount of features even in the Zeta variant
• A lot of mod potential
• Good GC and can handle a bit of bad roads
• Sorted ride as I coming from stiff ride quality of Ecosport
• No BS6 diesel issues
• No annoying speed limit alerts
• Fuel economy, even with some hard driving the numbers have not fallen below 18.5.
• Did I say Engine?

Dislikes:
• Build quality. Coming from an Ecosport, this point was very evident
• Safety. Again coming from a 6 airbag car to a dual airbag one
• Lack of Lumbar support. Though the seats are supportive, I still miss proper lumbar support
• Poor headlamps. This is resolved with the installation of Foglamp projectors.

The same week I got the car, I got foglamp projectors installed. This is one of the most important requirement as I drive quite a bit at night.

Since I got the S-Cross, I have driven couple of 1000Kms+ long drives and 4 drives between Bangalore and Mysore. I am loving every single KM on it.

I got the car transferred in my name, but due to shortage of RC smart cards, I have not yet received the updated RC card.

Mods planned:
• Stage 2 remap
• Cruise Control install
• Damping of all doors and boot.

I am planning to get the car remapped in the coming months once the RC and insurance is transferred in my name.

All in all, I am happy with my S-Cross and looking forward to putting in a lot of miles on it.

Few parting pics

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-20210916_144336.jpg
Odo when I bought the car

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-20210917_160412.jpg
Resting

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-20210928_183115.jpg
One of many mods. Foglamp Projectors from Blaze India

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-inked20211010_172020_li.jpg
At a viewpoint near Kumta

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-inkedimg_20211011_140713_li.jpg
At Maravanthe beach

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-img_20211011_142037.jpg
With my friend's Nexon
speedmiester is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:59   #69
BHPian

I have voted yes.
S-cross is the most underrated car in its segment. It is well built, drives and handles well, priced well and now has the 1.5L petrol which is a good workhorse with a very good bottom end. I would have bought it if it had a better automatic (a vintage 4-speed automatic is a big NO).
Meph1st0 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 15:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Attachment 2226673
My Pre-Owned S-Cross 1.6 Zeta

• Engine Engine Engine. The 1.6 engine is a brute and the torque is addictive. The only reason S-Cross is in my shortlist.
• Decent looker
• Good amount of features even in the Zeta variant
• A lot of mod potential
• Good GC and can handle a bit of bad roads
• Sorted ride as I coming from stiff ride quality of Ecosport
• No BS6 diesel issues
• No annoying speed limit alerts
• Fuel economy, even with some hard driving the numbers have not fallen below 18.5.
• Did I say Engine?

Dislikes:
• Build quality. Coming from an Ecosport, this point was very evident
• Safety. Again coming from a 6 airbag car to a dual airbag one
• Lack of Lumbar support. Though the seats are

Mods planned:
• Stage 2 remap
• Cruise Control install
• Damping of all doors and boot.

I am planning to get the car remapped in the coming months once the RC and insurance is transferred in my name.

All in all, I am happy with my S-Cross and looking forward to putting in a lot of miles on it.

Few parting pics

Attachment 2226668
Odo when I bought the car

Attachment 2226669
Resting

Attachment 2226670
One of many mods. Foglamp Projectors from Blaze India

Attachment 2226674
At a viewpoint near Kumta

Attachment 2226675
At Maravanthe beach

Attachment 2226672
With my friend's Nexon
Hi,
Another frequentor on the nh275 stretch, where the road lighting is frankly pathetic.

How do the fog lamps fare in rains?
Cost and make?
1985Darkkid85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 08:19   #71
BHPian

@speedmiester - Just loved the way you narrated the whole episode. S-Cross happens to be the only car I like from Maruti Suzuki's stable (of course that's my personal view which shouldn't really matter). My current ride is a Freestyle Titanium+ which I believe is more or less like the S-Cross in terms of overall exterior styling and the GC. The latter, however, emerges as a clear winner for its bigger refined engine and improved dimensions. The 2022 S-Cross is sure to get a better automatic transmission with a mild hybrid system. Your stop-gap purchase makes absolute sense IMHO before you find yourself behind the wheel of an EV probably by 2023-24!

Last edited by denny_ace : 6th November 2021 at 08:23.
denny_ace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 19:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
I have voted yes.
S-cross is the most underrated car in its segment. It is well built, drives and handles well, priced well and now has the 1.5L petrol which is a good workhorse with a very good bottom end. I would have bought it if it had a better automatic (a vintage 4-speed automatic is a big NO).
That was my biggest apprehension too while buying the Urban Cruiser (same gearbox) - but a couple of test drives a some research on tbhp put that apprehension to rest. If you ignore the number “4”, the slickness of this g’box is fantastic & several high tech torque converters don’t match it + it’s quite a reliable unit with no major reported concerns in several years.
jeetumg27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 17:43   #73
BHPian

What will the right pricing to spend on a 2017 Alpha model run roughly 70 K. And can we use it for another 6-7 years with the regular maintenance ? Requesting advice from our existing owners per your experience.
Old 18th May 2022, 06:50   #74

Goodbye Old Friend :-

My dear Ertiga served me well over 7 long years of love and love relationship. The car never let me down in any scenario.
Even with an almost busted clutch, it got us all back from Kufri to Delhi. I can actually write long prose , praising my ride, but anyone who has owned a Diesel MJD , knows that 1.3 are relatively bulletproof.
Anyhow, it had been 7 years and with 1.82L kms, the vehicle was showing its age, at least externally, I made a point to get the vehicle regularly serviced, first at Rohan Motors, till almost 50000Kms, thereafter shifted to World of Service , Sector-67 Noida, till the lockdown in 2020. Thereafter the last 3 services were done at Poorvi Automobiles, Sector 10 Noida.
I think , both the FNGs always did a good job on my vehicle, only the supposed Authorised Service Centre being a bit fishy in their operations in my opinion.
Tyres, I always had them replaced from Tyre Shoppe, Sector -5 Noida. Mohit is a very old friend and a schoolmate, so I trust his advice on tyres. First replacement was at 45000 Kms, then every 40000Kms, I had them replaced, barring the stock MRF set, rest were all Goodyear Tyres.
Only outside accessories being seat covers and a touch screen audio system which I replaced the stock unit with.

The Sale :-
I tried selling off my car first at OLX, needless to say, it really broke my heart with the price I was being offered. I mean seriously, 2.5L to 3L for a vehicle in actually good running condition and most of them were dealers, saying things like “Sir, zyada chala hua hai and all that”. End result, in a week’s time I took down my ad and waited for almost 2 months for the calls to slow down.
Finally, one day I downloaded the Cars24 app and applied for a home inspection of my car, even though my previous experience with them was not good (another long story , for some other time as it involves my angry better half), I still bit the bullet and tried.
They offered 3.85Lacs initially, but I countered with 5, price was settled at 4.52 Lacs, of which they paid 4.36L upfront, rest 10k has been stopped for RC transfer and 6.8K is their service charge.
The sale went off without a hitch and now, I was be-kaar as my brother drives the City Vth Gen and my Wife uses the Wagon R.

Some Pics of the outgoing car

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-ertiga1.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-ertiga2.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-ertiga3.jpg

The Search :-

I wanted to buy another diesel as my work involves a lot of travelling, sometimes almost 4-5k kms a month. So the search began.

The Candidates :-

1. Ertiga Petrol :- I went for a TD, petrol engine is typical Maruti, smooth and refined but it somehow felt a bit laid back. Or maybe I was expecting too much. Anyhow, the overall look did not appeal to me, maybe its more about the old adage “Monotony Kills Romance”, call me a hypocrite, but maybe that was what happened.
2. Creta/Seltos :- Brothers from different mothers briefly made the cut, upto the point where I visited the showroom. Too much high headedness of the sales staff and the long waiting time stretching into months, really struck em off my list.
3. Carens :- Too MPV, too KIA, too much smug salesmen, too long waiting periods and those astronomical price hikes by KIA, which I tell you, seem more opportunistic that responsive to steel prices. Trust me on that, I deal in High Tensile Steel all day.
4. Harrier/Safari :- Almost gave the down-payment but then the salesman let it slip that they interchange parts of cars from TD vehicles when there are issues, and that was all she said ��.
5. Innova :- Too much old wine in a new bottle and a jacked up price tag, did not appeal to the end user in me. Otherwise I have owned and driven the previous gen Innova G diesel for almost 1.07 Lac Kms, all of it fuss free. But spending 22L on a base model did not sit well with me and my pocket.
6. Hector :- Too many electronics/gizmos and waiting period. Plus hector plus only being available in Top Trim in Diesel , too pricey.
7. XUV700 :- Too long waiting period, otherwise it is a very solid and VFM product from Mahindra.
8. Gurkha :- This was more of heart over head at first, but then after a rather long 20km test drive, the car really grew on me. It made more sense than all those vehicles above. It gave you a 4x4 , which can literally go anywhere , a fuss free engine and carry 4 people with luggage , eating miles on the highway without a hiccup. Only grouch, I am on a very heavier side, so getting in and out of back seat required a very nimble approach, front steering also was a bit too near my very big belly. Plus, my parents would not be able to travel with me. So , I deferred this to maybe end of year purchase, if I get a chance.

Then , reality struck and my incomings got held up due to one reason or the other and EID approached. I am a big believer in keeping my debts cleared especially when it comes to the people who work for me. I used the entire amount of my car to pay off the labour and then some from my bank account, nearly emptying myself in the process. This was a week before EID.
Sometimes , all it takes is a moment to snap yourself back to reality. For me, it was when I wrote down my upcoming expenses and matched them to my prospective income. Tuns out, I would not have been able to afford a new car EMI, for at least till Diwali.
Then, used car it was. Enter Team-Bhp forums, and Dr.Naren’s thread about his beloved 1.6. I was smitten with the car, then I read up the old reviews, watched some YouTube videos for 1.6 and prepped for the search and buy.

The Search begins anew:-

The usual haunts for used car:-
Karol Bagh / Lajpat :- Nary any 1.6, most of the dealers on phone said they had 1.6 but supposedly it has 5 gears, I didn’t know ��
Olx /Spinny /Droom /Cars24 :- Found a couple of 1.6 on each sites but most of them had low kms on the ODO. Which in itself is a red flag in my books. Some even claimed their vehicles were 1.6 (mainly on OLX and QUIKR) but a zoom in of the gearshift showed the usual 5 gears.
I finally zeroed in on a Grey 2016 Alpha Trim, with 118k Kms on the ODO, figured a near 20k run per year seemed like a genuine case, got a long TD done, courtesy of Cars24 again. It was a co-incident that our forum had a whole thread dedicated to Cars24 refurbishment lab, plus they are giving a 7.5k Kms / 6 month warranty for the vehicle minus the parts that have wear and tear, yes, I read the Warranty Booklet.
Price was non-negotiable at first, but they came back with a discount of 30k on the sticker price and I got the vehicle for 4.70Lacs + Insurance and Registration. Paid 70k as down payment, rest converted to EMI for 4 years.
Finally, she is at home now, with us. She (my S-cross ), sorry I haven’t named her yet, will take a while as I think I am in love with her, she is more like a mature lady, who has some wrinkles and crows feet on her face, but when she smiles, you can see, she has seen it all, braved it all and has a lot more guts than you know.

Love at first drive :- You can say that.

Sorry , my post is too long, but I cannot help it, once I start to write, it is a bit unstoppable.

Anyhow, after the purchase, I took the car for a small 200km return trip with my Parents, my wife and both kids on board. My mom and I are on the heavier side, but still, with full load, the car never felt out of power and literally swallowed anything the road threw at it. The drive was from Noida-Faridabad-Sohna Road to Tauru on Bhiwadi road and back.

Small bump or something else :-
The fly in the ointment came when I was on my way towards my site, some 60kms into the trip. The check engine light came on and stayed for the entire trip. I talked to my sales advisor, he said it must be some sensor malfunction.
But barring this, there was no change in the drive behaviour of the car and so far I have covered almost 1600kms in a span of 7 days on the vehicle.
Have also mailed to cars24 for the issue and they are happy to either cover the cost of the sensor and any ancillary work (covered as per their warranty i.e) which shall arise , provided I get them a quote / estimate from NEXA or any other GST approved Service Center (Anupam from WoS , has already provided me one), so I am set to get the issue fixed in the coming week.

Features in the car :-

After owning a ZDi trim from Maruti, I came to expect a couple of things in the Alpha Trim of my 1.6 Scross. However, the interior quality is way better, remove the badging, it feels more like a first gen X1 to me, rather than a MSIL product. No offence intended to the BMW owners, it is only my personal opinion.

Here is a brief summary :-

1. All 4 power windows with driver side one touch up and down.
2. Auto Dimming IVRM (Take that Newly launched XL6)
3. Auto folding side mirrors
4. Auto Headlamps (not good throw though, I don’t know why, might just replace them in the near future)
5. Automatic Rain Sensing wipers
6. Android Auto/ Car Play compatible HU system. (Was missing the navigation SD card though)
7. Reclinable rear seat with a 60:40 split.
8. Automatic AC
9. Push Button Start
10. ABS/EBD with Dual Airbags.
11. All 4 disc brakes

Seriously though, even base variants of many supposed best sellers start at at least twice the price I ended up paying for the car and seriously, none of them will ever come close to the sheer driving pleasure you can derive out of this car.

As for the 1600kms, some 1100 were done this week, in two days, the vehicle giving 19kmpl, but that it another story , which I shall cover in a proper travelogue.

Update :

Another day, another site visit, added another 800kms to the ODO though. The latest being the 680kms I travelled this Saturday from Noida to Baddi. Prior to this, the clutch has also started making a creaking sound when I let it go. Anupam is saying it might be the master cylinder giving up. But then, when work calls and the only ride I want to drive is here, I took the risk towards Baddi, Himachal .

The Travel

The journey began at 6:20am in the morning, well technically at 6:24AM as I made sure the engine was warmed up.
Must have been my imagination as I really felt the clutch being soft, the engine a bit more responsive than it had been in the previous couple of days.
Picked up my PA from his house at Vinod Nagar, Delhi and off we went towards the site.
Had breakfast at Zilmil, Karnal, very nice dhaba, food is good. Though I still prefer Mayur Dhaba, when travelling with family. Do not like Neelkanth as it has become too flashy.
Anyhow, we took the road towards Zirakpur from Ambala and then followed towards Pinjore, my 12:30pm, I was at Subros.
Meeting concluded at 3pm, did not feel much hungry so off we went back home.
At Zirakpur , we stopped for a rather large bite at Pal’s and barring some odd traffic jam near Bypass at Delhi, we made good time. I got back home at 10pm and then promptly dozed off.

Total Travel : 680kms, consumed Diesel : 35.6 Litres, including 30 mins of traffic, AC had been switched on since morning.

The Experience :

The pesky CEL came on when we were on the way to Baddi from Pinjore, and stayed with us till home. Other wise, the ride was awesome.

1. Carpet like ride quality on the National Highway.
2. Soaks up small bumps with ease, far better than my Ertiga and even the City.
3. Can write long proses of praise for the engine, it has very long legs, I did an occasional 120 on the highway and could still feel it could go far faster.
4. I am more of a sedate driver though, driving between 80-90kmph on the highway mostly as it is more of a relaxed pace, plus it is near that sweet spot of Turbo at 1700rpm, a slight tap and I can overtake. Had some fun with a PB numbered Brezza D, the chap was overtaking from the wrong side of the road in a bad manner. I taught him some, but then after I presumed was an agonizing one minute behind my vehicle, I let him pass and the chap shot off like a tracer bullet, only to find my car in his rear view at the next intersection where we were both stuck in traffic. Poor sod, I wonder why these boys racers do not understand the driving etiquettes.
5. The FE was between 19-20kmpl including jams, twisting roads as we approached the site.
6. My PA drove as I had too many calls to attend while driving back home, so I switched to the back seat. Though I miss the recline and slide feature of the Ertiga, the seat was very comfortable, soaking up all small undulations. Post sunset, I kicked off my shoes, slid the passenger seat ahead and literally stretched my legs. The cup holders in the armrest were put to good use (read Amrut neat), the boot being accessible meant I could stash my stuff in there with ease.
7. AC is very effective, better than my City
8. Doors close with a respectable thunk and not the lightweight sound you get in today’s CSUVs from Maruti.
9. Even though it is a FWD vehicle, the body roll is controlled, can throw her into corners with confidence, I have done that, was lot of fun.
10. Steering is very well weighted, you feel connected to the road when you drive.
11. Gearshift is as smooth as expected from a 320nm torque monster.
12. And the look on my friends face when I told him my Scross makes more torque than his 1.6 verna, was priceless.

Dislikes

1. The pesky CEL, some sensor failure, most probably MAF , it is annoying to look at and also, worrying if it starts blinking (not happened though).
2. The clutch squeaks on its own volition. When being released that is, otherwise no issues in shifting gears.
3. Road noise creeps in at the back seat, speaking of which, lack of a rear AC vent is a real downer. So much that I am thinking of either getting one installed with some potential for disaster or maybe cover the leather seats with towel seat covers.
4. A bit of underpowered feeling comes when you are stuck in traffic. Really need to downshift when I have to get her to move.
5. The engine sounds a bit noisy, maybe its just my imagination.
These are the only dislikes I have and I think some 2k kms + in this sweet ride have changed my perspective. Feels like a rush and I really seem to look for excuses to drive her around. I mean in these past two weeks, I have taken my kids and my brother’s kids out for night drives and Ice creams at India Gate more times than in the past couple of years. Plus, the grunt really gets my pulse racing.

Reminds me of a time when I used to be fresh out of school and had just learnt to drive, used to sneak out with my WagonR’s car key (that was the 1198cc 4 cylinder first gen ) and drive around my wife’s house, (We were dating then)

Most of us would frown over a used car having 100k on the ODO, but it is not the mileage, it is how you arrived at that point , which makes a lot of difference. The previous owner, God Bless him, had also loved her a lot, I can see that from the way the interiors still look new, the engine working soundly, only general wear and tear is there in other parts as such. Besides, a good diesel in my opinion needs at least that much under its belt to really come to life.

Also, this is my first post here in the forum, errrmmm technically its fourth, as I posted in the official S-cross 1.6 thread as well a couple of times, but then side roles and debut movie as hero has a line of differentiation (think Shahid Kapoor in Taal and Ishq Vishq).
Kindly overlook my errors.

Best Regards,
Thekalacoatwala.

Yes, about myself ,

Well, I am a trained lawyer from Delhi University, but due to family circumstances, I had to join my father’s business. I completed my studies with distinction alongside my work. I used to play drums in my college band back in the day and used to play regularly at home as well before lockdown. I love dogs, have 3 boys, 2 GSD and 1 Doberman, love to read and write occasional short stories , mostly for the 4 kids in our family.

I think I have written about enough, shall continue in my travel posts from now when as is when my schedule permits.

So, until next time, happy revving people and I am too happy to be here. No words can describe my excitement.

My sweet lady

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-scross.jpg
Thekalacoatwala is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 07:28   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekalacoatwala View Post

Most of us would frown over a used car having 100k on the ODO, but it is not the mileage, it is how you arrived at that point , which makes a lot of difference.
Welcome to the small but growing group of 1.6 owners with high mileage on their preowned cars. Good choice and wish you happy years of ownership.

I would get that clutch checked up and I would recommend the timing belt to be preemptively changed given your car is nearing 120k kms and 6 years old - I got it done recently at the odometer just a shy under 100k kms, and I know several others who have done it given the age of their cars.

Edit : the CEL is probably due to faulty brake switch. Seems to be a common issue among 1.6 cars.

Refer to the 1.6 wiki mentioned in this post.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th May 2022 at 07:33.
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks