Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Maruti S-Cross today?
Yes 260 60.61%
No 169 39.39%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2022, 09:22   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Congratulations on the purchase!

We all tend to (in most cases, need to) stay away from high mileage used cars. There is a lot of risk involved in used cars, more so in the ones with a lot of km on the odo.

That being said, there are also genuine cases where the owners don't tamper with the odo and also maintain the cars well. Looks like you have landed on such a sample

For example, I sold my 5.xx years old Ciaz 1.3 diesel after clocking a good 1.4 lakh km. It was properly maintained and I had even replaced all the critical components like clutch, timing chain, water pump, suspension struts at 1.2 lakh km mark. The buyer was an acquaintance and he knew how well the car had been maintained. He confidently bought a 1.4 lakh km run car and it is doing duty flawlessly till date. Make sure all scheduled replacements have been done. If not, please do it.

The 1.6 is a gem of an engine. SCross is one rare Maruti which has good driving dynamics as well as solid build quality. I am sure you will enjoy the car for years to come.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th May 2022 at 11:19. Reason: Typo -> old
PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 11:17   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekalacoatwala View Post
Goodbye Old Friend :-

4. A bit of underpowered feeling comes when you are stuck in traffic. Really need to downshift when I have to get her to move.
5. The engine sounds a bit noisy, maybe its just my imagination.
Congrats on your purchase and as Ninjatalli said,welcome to the rare group of 1.6 owners.

Yes, the massive turbolag makes it a slow mover in the city traffic and it becomes even more painful on the ghats.
Easy solution is to get it remapped. A lot of us have got the Stage 1+ map from WolfMoto. Give it a shot as it solves that exact problem.

The 1.6 MJD is a noisy mill and no amount of cladding can help. You can try additional noise deadening material under the hood AND upgrade the speakers of the music system to drown the din. At least thats what most of us have done
aqualeo2040 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 11:21   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Congrats on your purchase and as Ninjatalli said,welcome to the rare group of 1.6 owners.

Yes, the massive turbolag makes it a slow mover in the city traffic and it becomes even more painful on the ghats.
Easy solution is to get it remapped. A lot of us have got the Stage 1+ map from WolfMoto. Give it a shot as it solves that exact problem.

The 1.6 MJD is a noisy mill and no amount of cladding can help. You can try additional noise deadening material under the hood AND upgrade the speakers of the music system to drown the din. At least thats what most of us have done

Thanks. Man, advice me for remap as I live in Noida and the fellow at GTTURENZ is yet to reply to my messages.

Also, it seems that the previous owner had changed the setup and installed component speakers. So I am more or less satisfied with the sound.

But please share details for getting her a good tune-up. Although Anupam @World of Service is saying he can do it, i do not want take any unnecessary risks.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Welcome to the small but growing group of 1.6 owners with high mileage on their preowned cars. Good choice and wish you happy years of ownership.

I would get that clutch checked up and I would recommend the timing belt to be preemptively changed given your car is nearing 120k kms and 6 years old - I got it done recently at the odometer just a shy under 100k kms, and I know several others who have done it given the age of their cars.

Edit : the CEL is probably due to faulty brake switch. Seems to be a common issue among 1.6 cars.

Refer to the 1.6 wiki mentioned in this post.
Planning for the same this weekend man. As cars24 have approved my claim.

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th May 2022 at 12:20. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Thekalacoatwala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 15:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Goodbye Old Friend :-

My sweet lady
Welcome to the tiny and exclusive clan of the 1.Sixxers. I am sure you will love the car for what it offers. Regarding remapping, you can get in touch with Wolfmoto (myself running on stage 1+). Their team does visit the length and breath of the country.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 20:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

If you get a pesky check engine light that stays on, it might be a dirty air filter or MAF sensor. Or it might be something far worse. Get it scanned and taken care of. A car in this kind of mint condition despite heavy usage likely may NOT get sold if there isn't an expensive repair in the offing, so worth checking.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 13:07   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you get a pesky check engine light that stays on, it might be a dirty air filter or MAF sensor. Or it might be something far worse. Get it scanned and taken care of. A car in this kind of mint condition despite heavy usage likely may NOT get sold if there isn't an expensive repair in the offing, so worth checking.
I have given the car for repairs. Funny thing is the CEL is not showing up as of now, i have asked the guys at World of Service to check error history. Moreover, the cruise control stops working. Rest all the car runs ok despite the CEL. As of now I am getting a new timing kit. A new slave cylinder. A new cooling coil and condenser as the AC stopped running on idle. Since Cars24 is paying for it all, why should I not get new parts. They even cover the turbo and intercooler in the warranty. No problem with them so far.
Injectors I will be getting serviced from elsewhere if needed. She will be getting a ceramic coating next month with a stage 1 remap. (If time + budget permits).
Thekalacoatwala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Please make sure you give it at a dealership. If you give it at any other garage they may just clear the error with an obd scanner and return it to you.

Cruise control not working will certainly trigger a CEL. As will a lot of other stuff.

I guess the "mint condition car being sold", especially an 1.6 s cross, might need a decent amount of repair work.

Quote:
I have given the car for repairs. Funny thing is the CEL is not showing up as of now, i have asked the guys at World of Service to check error history. Moreover, the cruise control stops working. Rest all the car runs ok despite the CEL.
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:14   #83

Yes sir. It will require. Besides, the expensive stuff is already covered under warranty and so far my experience with nexa/maruti ASC has not been confidence inspiring. Anupam is a decent chap and looked after my ertiga for almost the next 70k kms after i had changed its clutch plates at 96k kms in 2020. Hence I am hoping he does a good job on my ride.

Plus mint condition car , in NCR especially if it is a 1.6 rocket and has already done 117k kms , is an oxymoron. I knew what i was getting when i got her. And after buying i have already run it for 5k kms, including two trips to himachal.

Keeping fingers crossed for no further issue with my S-cross.
Old 24th May 2022, 08:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plus mint condition car , in NCR especially if it is a 1.6 rocket and has already done 117k kms , is an oxymoron. I knew what i was getting when i got her. And after buying i have already run it for 5k kms, including two trips to himachal.
If it is all highway use, who knows? My Endeavour is at 82K and doesn't feel that way (and besides I bought it last October at 58K and after that it has done 99% only highway trips).
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 14:28   #85

Hi guys, I am back, with an update on my s-cross. So far the issues attended in my vehicle by WoS are as follows :-

1. Service including replacement of brake oil/ gear oil/synthetic oil /air filter/fuel filter.
2. AC service with coil change
3. Front Arm/ Timing kit change
4. Clutch issue solved
5. MAF / Cruise Control Module
6. New Water pump
7. EGR Cleaning

The bill is almost 78k including GST, however, now I am again getting CEL , got it checked, it is due to Turbo Sensor. Anupam@ WoS says there is issue with the actuator and suggests that the Turbo assembly be replaced as a precaution as the vehicle is already 122k kms on ODO. Turbo is covered under warranty by Cars24, so I have raised the issue with them for the same.

I am attaching the screenshot of error code received, yours valuable input is saught. Also, I am attaching the bill I have been charged so far. Again for input.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-turbo-charger-issue-scross-1.6.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-charges-wos.png

Thanks in advance. Also, my work schedule has been a bit hectic plus I am planning to set up my new plant for work, so there is no rest for the wicked as of now.
Thekalacoatwala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 17:36   #86
BHPian

Voted no. Only because I already own one. And it’s one of the very last ones that was sold here. 2017 model. Approaching 70k on the odo. If j didn’t own one and was in the market for a no nonsense used car, This will be definitely in my books!
robby0707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 07:05   #87

Maybe you should try getting the wheel arches, floor and door damped. Makes a world of difference in my Amaze. Has somehow even improved ride cushioning. Also look for foam damping. Heard it's better for floor noise. It's an investment you'll never regret esp on concrete roads
mixxer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 12:27   #88
BHPian

I was looking to replace my 2010 Ford Fiesta which ran around 200k Kilometers with diesel compact SUV .

My expectations on Fiesta’s replacement

• Diesel Compact SUV
• Dual Airbags with EBD and TC if available
• Stable Structure
• Driver Seat height adjustment
• Rear wiper & defogger
• Adjustable rear head rest
• Fun to drive

Test drove Nexon, XUV 300 and WRV. Didn’t considered Sonet and Venue due to safety concerns. After multiple test drives, XUV 300 was my pick and worked out the finance vs variants vs absolute necessary features. Realized, I have to spend 14+ lakhs to get all essential/necessary features I’m expecting from my new ride. The way manufacturer’s force us to buy top variant even to get essential safety features is disgusting. Appreciate Nissan for offering essential safety features like Rear wiper & Defogger from base variant in Magnite. I couldn’t digest spending more than 14 lakhs to get compact SUV so decided to try my luck in used car market.

My First choice was 2018-2020 Ecosport Diesel. I’m a Ford fan, owned 1999 & 2003 Taurus, 2009 Ikon TDCI, 2010 Fiesta and 2011 Ford Figo. Myself and Dad love Ford cars. I had booked Ecosport Diesel to replace my Dad’s Figo, unfortunately Ford decided to wrap their operations in India. We bought Toyota Urban Cruiser as a replacement for Figo. Decided to replace my Fiesta with preowned Ford Ecosport. I was willing to consider Global Fiesta 2014-2016 model as well, not a CSUV but since it’s a Ford. I was searching for a good used car.

While I was searching for my Fiesta’s replacement, happen to test drove S-Cross petrol for my Dad’s Figo replacement. It’s a no nonsense car for a family which will satisfy driver and passengers needs as well. S-Cross had what I’m looking for, adequate ground clearance, basic safety features, abundance of space and good handling. Since its build on global Suzuki C platform, I convinced myself that S-Cross might be safe. Finding a used S-Cross 1.6 didn’t prove to be that much of a challenge. Found 2017 S-Cross Alpha variant with 50k on odo in Chennai Maruti True value for 8.25 lakhs. Before traveling 400 kms to check on car, spoke to dealer to check on room for price negotiation. Dealer was not ready to negotiate and made it clear they cannot sell less than the quoted price. Meanwhile, came across 2017 S-Cross Alpha variant with 65k on odo in Coimbatore Volkswagen Carmonkey site. Went to showroom with fellow car enthusiast and friend for test drive. Got a thumps up from my friend who had considerable experience with S-Cross 1.6, I liked the way it drew. Negotiated a bit, took the car for 7.5 lakhs.

For 7.5 Lakhs what I get

• Insane amount of Torque, S-Cross in gear acceleration and quick overtaking abilities had immensely helped me in non-urban roads. If you are lover of Top end performance S-Cross is the car for you.
• True 5 seater, plenty of knee room, shoulder room and bottle holders. Family members appreciate the space and form factor
• Enough ground clearance, had driven the car in multiple terrains, never scrapped under belly of the car
• 4 wheel disc breaks
• Height adjustable seat belt, automatic headlight/wiper with auto dim rear view mirror are bonus for me
• Excellent Fuel efficiency : It hovers around 19 KMPL, no matter how hard you drive, overall efficiency is consistent and excellent
• It’s a perfect family sleeper car which can satisfy family needs and enthusiastic driver as well.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-scross3.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-scross2.jpg

Managed to clock 17,000 KMs in seven month of ownership, after spending considerable amount of time with S-Cross 1.6, below are my observations

Looks (6/10) : First generation S-Cross before facelift is not going to win any beauty context. It looks like a grown up hatchback. Someone buying S-Cross is not buying because of how it looks. I made peace with its looks.

Space/Ergonomics (8/10) : Absolutely no complaints on ergonomics. Driver seat have plenty of travel and adjustments so finding perfect driving position is not an issue. All controls and switch positions fell in place for driver. No need to stretch a lot to reach out for switches/control.
Glass area is humongous in front and more than adequate in back. Coming from Fiesta and Figo, you will feel liberated when you sit in front or back. Reminds me of my Civic and Accord on space management. Honda’s are masters of generating more space in respective segments , Maruti had done excellent job on space management. Driver will not rub elbows or shoulder with front passenger. Back seat passenger have plenty of knee room and shoulder room.
Seats are touch firmer than what I would prefer. No one had complaint on firm seats so far but it reminds me of sitting on school bench. Had factory fitted leather seats in my 2011 Fiesta, it had perfect cushioning for me. S-Cross doesn’t come with rear AC vents, but AC is powerful enough to manage back seat cooling needs.

Engine & Drive (7/10): S-Cross 1.6 is built for highway drives, its sublime and performs at its best on highways. Even after 100 KMPH speed, there is plenty on reserve and will never run out of power. While S-Cross performs exceptionally well on highways its Achilles’ heel is in city runs. Even though turbo lag is manageable, I have to work the gears lot more than what I used in Figo/Fiesta. Clutch is hard but not as hard as Ford’s clutch, its manageable. Since I have to make lot of gear changes with slightly harder clutch, I’m not enjoying city runabouts as I did in Fiesta/Figo.

Ride & Handling (7/10): To be honest, I’m not completely blown away by its ride or handling. Body roll is well with in acceptable limit and ride quality is neither harsh nor plush. I’m used to best handlers Figo & Fiesta. Fiesta offered me best ride & handling package, S-Cross fell short of my expectation. Planning to move to Monroe rear suspension and Gabriel front to check whether I can get most out of S-Cross. Don’t get me wrong, I know S-Cross have lot of respect from BHPian’s for its handling but when you have experienced the best , second best is a compromise.

Maintenance (10/10) : Apart from two regular oil service, I haven’t spent anything on S-Cross 1.6 for maintenance. One of the primary reason to pick Maruti.

NVH(6/10) : One area where Maruti completely dropped their ball is on NVH. I couldn’t understand how their flag ship model have such a poor NVH levels when compared to competition. At idle, we can hear the diesel clatter, once it warms up and in highway runs, engine noise is there but mellowed down a lot. No loud irritating diesel clatter at cruising speed. Similarly, wind noise is also at acceptable levels during highway runs but road noise is poor. I guess rear of S-Cross is almost void of any insulation. At cruising speeds, lot of road/tyre noise creeps in.
One more minor irritant is vibration in steering wheel, particularly in 2nd & 3rd gear. If rpm drops between 1,200-1,500 rpm after gear changes there is vibrations in steering. Requested Maruti service advisor to check on vibrations while I dropped the car for regular oil service, after lengthy test drive, he reported back its all normal no excessive vibrations are there. I did some research on the vibrations in steering and it was reported during Zigwheels official review.

“There is this noticeable drone, accompanied by vibrations, which occur when the engine is in the 1,250-1,500rpm range. I have to drive another 1.6 S-Cross to make sure that this is not an issue with my car - fingers crossed!”
https://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-ad...-report/28257/

As of now, I haven’t found any solution, learn to circumvent by making gear changes after 2500 rpm not an ideal workaround but can live with it.

S-Cross 1.6 is not a perfect car, but acceptable compromise for me to have fun without breaking the bank and satisfy family needs as well. S-Cross 1.6 is an absolute value for money in used car market. If you are family man, an auto enthusiast , do lot of highway drives then S-Cross 1.6 the car for you in used car market.

Mods Planned
  • Rear and front suspension changes – planning to go with after market
  • Wolf tuning
rainmaster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 17:46   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
Negotiated a bit, took the car for 7.5 lakhs.

Great choice, rainmaster.

I also considered the S-Cross 1.6 when I was in the used car market for a project car. It finally came down to either a S-Cross 1.6 or a 1.5 TDCi Figo trio. Either I could spend almost my entire budget for a project car on the 1.6 and only do basic upgrades or i could take advantage of people panic selling their Fords and use the remaining money for modifications. I went the latter way, but I've extensively driven a friend's 1.6 and I'm sure if I had instead chosen the 1.6, I'd still be a happy man, no doubt.

Wish you many happy miles with your new car.

Sai
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 19:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
Ride & Handling (7/10): To be honest, I’m not completely blown away by its ride or handling. Body roll is well with in acceptable limit and ride quality is neither harsh nor plush. I’m used to best handlers Figo & Fiesta. Fiesta offered me best ride & handling package, S-Cross fell short of my expectation. Planning to move to Monroe rear suspension and Gabriel front to check whether I can get most out of S-Cross. Don’t get me wrong, I know S-Cross have lot of respect from BHPian’s for its handling but when you have experienced the best , second best is a compromise.
On an older car, the suspensions may not be working as expected. Even then, with monroe and gabriel, you can expect much better handling. If you feel the rear stepping out on expansion joints, then the rear shocks are definitely gone.

You are also correct, that it is not an excellent handling car. It is a mature handling car, it likes more sewwping corners than tight ones. These are not chuckable like the older fords.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks