Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 12:05   #16
BHPian

Re: August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

So I was eagerly waiting for the sales figures to be out and here they are !

Tata Motors have been on a big steady rise now. Exceptionally well performers like Altroz, Nexon and Tiago. All there lineup is seeing a double digit % YoY increase. Great effort by TaMo. People are indeed striving for safer and local products.

Hyundai seems to be the happiest manufacturer right now. Their Seltos and Creta combined and selling nearly 20k units per month which is way too much..

Ford and Toyota have their businesses going as usual. Steady MoM increase.

Maruti still leading the front with their unsafe tin cans. Don't know how. Though the market share is decreasing.

Will be lining in a TaMo dealership in the coming month so +1 unit of a Tigor from my side .
chiefpk is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 14:13   #17
BHPian

Happy that the market is slowing reviving at least in the automobile sector. Revival of one major industry like automobile, will definitely trickle down to various others.

So, what does the sales chart tell about the top five players

Maruti Suzuki – No.1 as always. BS6 diesel hasn’t affected the numbers much. But hey, are they slowly losing their market share. A BIG yes, for sure. The Hyundai – Kia giants and to some extent other players like TaMo are happily grabbing it for now.

Will MS react to this? Is it time to press the panic button?

Personally, I think MS still has ample time to play the wait and watch game. If at all a situation arises, they definitely know how to bring back their LOYAL customers.

Hyundai-Kia – Contrary to the market leader, these guys are using all the ammunition they have in their arsenal. Be it any product launch, they will come with all guns blazing and that’s clearly helping them win customers. Although the gain is slow, I guess it will be a steady rise, unless/ until the market leader starts to fire back.

Tata Motors - “As you sow, so shall you reap”. The efforts that they have put in the past few years are slowly starting to bear fruit. But, considering their current product lineup and sales/ service setup, I think the numbers that they have achieved now, will be their saturation point. They need to ramp up in multiple fronts to sustain/ improve from the current position.
Launching products with all possible engine-gearbox combination should be the first point to address.

Mahindra – Old workhorses, Scorpio & Bolero, still doing their job. But for how long? I know that a complete revamp of their product portfolio is on the cards. Till then, nothing to write about and Tata will comfortably sit on the 3rd spot.

But, with the supersonic KIA Sonet on its way, will Mahindra be able to retain the 4th spot in the coming months? I don’t think so.

Cheers

Last edited by Sudarshan_N : 4th September 2020 at 14:23. Reason: Typo
Sudarshan_N is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 15:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
I can't seem to find the nexon ev sales figures in this list. I wanted to compare it's sales figures with the more expensive zs ev and kona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
There is no point clubbing them with ICE since the purchase decisions for EVs don't purely depend on price.
Nexon EV leads owing to lower pricing and better value proposition.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-ev.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/NIKHILAVS...197307905?s=19

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 4th September 2020 at 15:08.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 15:33   #19
BHPian

Most awaited thread and what a rebound. All the segment toppers are back to where they belong to and the back benches reeling on the segment toppers. Ford, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Skoda and Datsun are missing in the top 20 list.

Very happy for TATA. All the efforts in the past two-three years are now reaping benefits. Oh wow, We started talking, "TATA like build" and see we slowly moved from the Europeans. That's the change expected. High chances of the new Nexon coming home next month, going for a TD tomorrow and will likely contribute for its number in the October sales chart.

Marazzo at just 635 units. Should be near to Ertiga's number. All the Cheetah Nose and Tiger Nose are doing good numbers. May be because its designed on an aquatic animal "Shark" and its dying to be a terrestrial animal.

Last edited by saisree : 4th September 2020 at 15:39.
saisree is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 15:36   #20
BHPian

Surprised to see brezza in losers list. I have been seeing a truckload of new brezzas with led drl strip on the roads. I was expecting it to be in gainers list. The petrol variant might not be a road scorcher like some other turbos, but it's refined and people seem to like it.

Meanwhile the fortunes of Ford in India seems to be kept alive by the Ecosport. Just shows the kind of brand equity the ES demands. All these years and still it sells in 4 figures.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 17:02   #21
BHPian

Trying to understand what could be the reason behind a significant difference between the sales numbers of Tiago and Tigor. Tiago sells pretty well, but Tigor which is just a longer Tiago with larger boot and few additional features like rear armrest etc. is not getting good numbers. The additional premium of getting a Tigor also doesn't seem to be very high - approximately 80K.
skarthiksr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 17:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Surprised to see brezza in losers list. I have been seeing a truckload of new brezzas with led drl strip on the roads. I was expecting it to be in gainers list. The petrol variant might not be a road scorcher like some other turbos, but it's refined and people seem to like it.

Meanwhile the fortunes of Ford in India seems to be kept alive by the Ecosport. Just shows the kind of brand equity the ES demands. All these years and still it sells in 4 figures.
And also the Big Endy. More than 600 for the past 2 months albeit second to the Fortuner. These big ones must surely be earning big for them.
ask_017 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 17:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the Charts and Analysis.

More to add.

At the backdrop of the upcoming festive season and anticipating the demand to be back, dealers stock up inventory and the result is a growth seen in most manufacturers and further contributed to an impressive growth of 19.6% in Aug’20 v/s Aug’19.

However note that the base year of 2019 is where the dealerships were already reeling with high stock and the channel was readying itself to reduce the BS4 inventory. Hence the same to be noted when considering Aug’20 performance Vs Aug’19.

It is encouraging to see the dealers gearing up for the festive season.

Highlights of Aug-20 dispatch figures:
- TATA Motors delivered a magical performance as it grew 154%, while also recording the highest market share improvement.
- Maruti Suzuki defends its leading position registering a YoY growth 21.3% and was also able to improve its market share by 0.7% in Aug’20.
- Hyundai, at the backdrop of its strong demand for its SUV grows at 19.9% while retaining its Market share.
- Kia is on a high and sees a massive jump in Market Share – from 3.2% in Aug’19 to 4.6% in Aug’20.
- Mahindra records a negligible growth but loses 1% Market share
- Toyota registered the highest YoY drop in Aug’20.
- MG Motors sold more than Skoda, Nissan & FCA combined in Aug’20. MG recorded a YoY growth of 41% and the volumes was also backed by Hector Plus this year.

Top Manufactures for the Month:

Maruti Suzuki

- Holds top 4 slots in the 10 best sellers for August and hold 7 positions in the top 10. The Top 10 Selling Cars of August 2020 contributed to over 50% cars sold in India for the month.
- Maruti’s Swift superseded Alto to become the bestselling car for both OEM and the Nation for August 2020. It showed strong YoY & MoM growth and continues to signify how the first time car buyers are increasing during this pandemic.
- Alto slipped to second position and was just 472 units short of the bestselling Swift in Aug’20. Shows the first time buyers and increase in car ownership owing to the pandemic.
- Diesel not in portfolio- No problem for Maruti Suzuki. Dzire show it in terms of volume. But Brezza has another story. Drop in volumes due to diesel effect?
- S Cross shows good numbers in petrol avatar. But can it sustain the volumes?

Hyundai:

- Hyundai is running on the success of Creta which was the best seller for Hyundai and contributed to over 25% of Hyundai’s sales in August 2020.
- Santro can be considered a flop considering the hype and volumes it is doing now.
- i20 sales remain strong even though the new model is on the cards and could help Hyundai gain market share when launched.

TATA Motors:

- It crossed the 18k sales mark after 17 long months and was India’s 3rd biggest OEM in Aug’20.
- Entry level cars show a demand, sees Tiago being the best selling at 5,743 units.
- Nexon registered a strong sales performance too and becomes their second bestseller.
-Harrier managed to sell 1,694 units and could record 167% YoY growth. This was the highest sales volume for Harrier in the past 15 months.

Market Share:

Name:  ms.PNG
Views: 6497
Size:  284.0 KB

Sourceata from Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 18:09   #24
BHPian

So glad to see Tata Motors as the No 3 on the list with a healthy set of numbers. A little bit of push plus a new Subcompact SUV and I see a consistent 22-23k volumes on a monthly basis. A resurrection considering most of us had written them off.

On another note, my dad picked up a Tata Altroz a month ago as the daily beater. He wanted to book a fully loaded Tiago but we pushed him for the Altroz instead as the base models were cheaper than the loaded Tiago. Spent around 60K for a revamped interiors and alloys and it is a stunner. It looks stunning and has gobbled the prized parking space inside the house pushing the ol' Ciaz out.

Till now we have driven around 1200 kms. The only issue we faced in these 30 odd days was a malfunctioning passenger side door lock which was replaced promptly by the Tata Service Center. My dad was mighty impressed with the courtesy shown to him when he went to the showroom to rectify the issue. The dealership sent a driver with dad to the service center and made him meet the Service Manager who spent around 30 mins with dad till it was replaced.

He was very courteous, explained some features in details and even asked where we got the alloys from! He advised my dad to not come himself for car service and rather call him (Service Manager) directly and he will arrange a pick up and drop.

Either something has changed in Tata Motors for the good or my Mahindra experience over the last seven years was sub par.
model-t is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 18:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Trying to understand what could be the reason behind a significant difference between the sales numbers of Tiago and Tigor. Tiago sells pretty well, but Tigor which is just a longer Tiago with larger boot and few additional features like rear armrest etc. is not getting good numbers. The additional premium of getting a Tigor also doesn't seem to be very high - approximately 80K.
Tigor goes up against the DZire, the Amaze etc., it may not cost as much, but as a potential buyer the difference in prices isn't much when you consider the extra space offered by the competition. Besides, the notchback design hasn't found too many takers.

The Tiago has managed to find a place for itself and is going strong with the regular aesthetic updates. Now that there are rumours of a Turbo Petrol Tiago, things sure do seem like they are hotting up for the Tiago!
vik99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 20:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
significant difference between the sales numbers of Tiago and Tigor. Tiago sells pretty well, but Tigor which is just a longer Tiago with larger boot and few additional features like rear armrest etc. is not getting good numbers. The additional premium of getting a Tigor also doesn't seem to be very high - approximately 80K.
The one main reason of Tigor being not good in sales is because over the time being, people have started to shift from the C Sedan segment to the Compact SUV segment where you get much better practicality in terms of space, size and engine's.

For example, Tigor top variant costs the same as the Nexon's base variant in Manual, more so the Amaze and Dzire's are more costlier so people tend to shift to the C- SUV's.
chiefpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 20:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Biggest news for me is Hyundai + Kia capture whopping 24% market share. Maruti still doing good and maintaining about 50% market share but need to get SUV soon. Some worries for MSIL for sure. Biggest car manufacturer can't be without SUV in current booming SUV market. See numbers of Creta & Seltos. Maruti - are you sleeping?? Happy for Tata, go on guy's, you can do much more. Bring small SUV soon with 2.0 version (no 1.0 with minor issues, niggles) directly and you will get more numbers for sure. Sad numbers from Mahindra, VW, Skoda, Renault, Toyota and Honda. Time to say goodbye to Nissan, Datsun, Fiat (?).
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:20   #28
BHPian

Really good to see the auto industry in general doing pretty well in the last 2 months. I was very pessimistic during April-May, but these numbers are fantastic. Very happy for Tata motors, especially Harrier.

In the battle between the German cousins, the T-roc seems to be doing slightly better than Karoq. That’s a bit of a surprise for me as I thought the Karoq was an overall better package. The five plus lakh premium must be the reason.
Old 4th September 2020, 22:50   #29
BHPian

Glad to see the revival in Auto numbers. I am still a bit unsure about the drivers behind this revival though. Is it the pent up demand that’s coming in or is it the dealer channels that are being stuffed post lockdown ?

As a banker I’ve been speaking to a lot of my clients in the Auto ancillary/components space and their feedback has been generally good so far in Q2 after the washout that was Q1. But honestly I’m still not entirely convinced that we are back to normalcy/or on the path of normalcy.

Perhaps if these numbers hold up in Q3, we may be able to say that things are getting back to normalcy (although Q3 also has a couple of triggers to skew sales - Diwali and Year end offers).

Happy to hear thoughts of fellow BHPians on the subject. Are the good times really back ?
JayKavadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 23:52   #30
BHPian

Wow. The Koreans have seemed to be taken over the Indian mass market. They are the highest sellers in the 10-20 lakh segment and presumably making more profit than anyone else.

Maruti Suzuki's sales figures shows the fact that even if they start selling the body shell, tyres and engine separately they'll have takers. They surely deserve applause for building that brand image.

Toyota needs to pull some tricks from it's sleeves, they're losing on the hold. I doubt the "Urban Cruiser" is gonna boost the sales, the glanza was unable to do the magic for them. MS>Toyota

It's great to see Tata doing well for themselves. It's a hard earned victory for them. May the introduction of new variants boost the sales further up.
Abhi5868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks