Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 00:11   #31
BHPian

Re: August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Tiago, Nexon and Altroz!! So proud and happy to see TATA making its presence on the sales charts!! Goes to show the confidence people have on the new TATA products!

Comon TATA! get the consistency in quality, improve dealer network and sort out after sales service, you are in for a treat from us Indians!!!
vinair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 00:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Really happy to see Creta and Seltos being the top sellers for their parent companies. Not i20, i10 or Santro but much more expensive products like Creta and Seltos are the real earners. Incredible. Just shows growing wealth of the consumers as a whole and a major shift in buying behavior. Good going India!
Now if only MS and the likes saw this and gave us some goodies like the Jimny and such, it would be great. We deserve it.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 12:29   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

MUV sales: Maruti Suzuki all the way!

Ertiga+XL6 sold 11,148 units in August 2020.

- Toyota to worry as Innova sales drop
- 1 Cr Plus costing Toyota Vellfire does 16 unit!

Name:  muv.PNG
Views: 5429
Size:  190.5 KB

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 12:48   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see car sales bouncing back strongly. Of course part of it could be restocking of inventories with dealers - but I am sure this is only a partial effect, and there is some real retail sales driving this trend. At this rate, October could well be the best car sales month in a very long time.

Am happy to see Tata make a strong come back on sales - they have done a good job with their newer products (Altros, Nexon and Harrier) and deserve to move up the rankings. Hopefully these products earn the loyalty of Indian consumers, and help set the stage for a more viable domestic car business for them.

One suggestion for this thread - the so called utility segment is just too diverse and should probably recut - with only the basic utility vehicles like the Bolero, Eeco etc being kept there, and the more modern vehicles like Ertiga, Innova etc appearing under the relevant segment (C1, C2 etc) just as the SUVs they directly compete with appear. I would also quibble about some of the cuts on C1, C2 and D1 segments - I would have classed the sub 4 metre CSUVs such as the Nexon and Venue as C1 products, and think the Jeep Compass, despite its price, ought to be treated as a C2 product rather than a D1 one. Something for the Mods to think about
Hayek is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 00:22   #35

Could the country cousins the Kia Seltos and Hyundai Creta be clubbed , likewise the VW vento and the skoda rapid. These are the actual sales in a way. Scary , the highest selling car is not the Maruti Swift. It's actually the Seltos and Creta which are really underneath the same.
tdcarlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 07:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKavadi View Post
Glad to see the revival in Auto numbers. I am still a bit unsure about the drivers behind this revival though. Is it the pent up demand that’s coming in or is it the dealer channels that are being stuffed post lockdown ?
A bit of it could be attributed to pent up demand but I feel the pandemic has a major contribution as well.

It's pretty evident now that the situation on the ground isn't going to change anytime soon. People looking for safe travel options guarantees an upswing in personal vehicle sales.

I'm sure there will be a similar spike in the used car segment as well.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 08:02   #37
BHPian

A couple of snippets of information:
From my colleagues in Suzuki and Toyota, what I understand is that they have a backlog of orders and an equally serious shortage of parts resulting in an even more serious ever increasing drought in network stock. So, another lockdown or emergency would mean that these guys will not have any more car to sell, which should ring alarm bells. It also means these guys can make and sell more cars if parts are available, especially imported Tier II / Tier III parts. Hyundai has excellently managed it's supply chain in this regard. If true, then this proves a very good bump in sales recovery.
Secondly, as far as Suzuki is concerned, they have left (rather foolishly) 20% of the market ( Diesel cars) for all concerned to enjoy and feast. So, a 50% market share overallequates to actually a higher 60%+ market share in gasoline cars. So, hypothetically, if the market wisens up and realises the demise of age of Diesel, then Suzuki is uniquely well placed to capitalise. But from all indications, that is least likely to happen.
Carma2017 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 09:35   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe wrong, but IMHO have to wait for the covid effects to be fully subdued to see the market trends.
The mass market may have moved from the Alto days, but guess in these hard times two different groups have been affected.
The Alto/Swift mass market is not as strong as before, also the Innova/Fortuner/Endeavour trader/businessmen market has also been affected.
While the Seltos/Creta market is held by well heeled professionals, both aspiring young folks, family guys as well as retirees. Just my opinion. Thought ignited by the fact, even at the absolute height of the pandemic scare, Creta became the number one seller, atleast for one month.

Another Maruti dominated month. (Sigh) The effect of it on the Indian car industry and what it says about the customers have been discussed enough.

Hyundai-Kia. The bosses in Seoul would be mighty happy. The dream strategy of VAG being implemented perfectly by Hyundai-Kia in India. And they deserve the success too.

Tata. They did it with just three models. Now add the upcoming HBX numbers, and they give decent petrol engines to the Tiago and Altroz. Coupled with the sunroof aggressiveness they are showing now. They are bound to grow. Just keep on improving the A.S.S.

Mahindra. Pity they have to propped up by the ancient Bolero, when recent launches are struggling. Good stuff are yet to come with new launches and the Ford JV going. Just don't dampen the fire-crackers with the strategy of selling two generations side by side.

Renault. With the upcoming Kriger launch, looks like the French company has become more mass market than even Maruti is. Looking at the Magnite concept, wish it succeeds. Its the last straw Nissan has.

Toyota & Honda. Different companies, different strategies. Clubbed them together for one reason.
All these years they have been complaining that the sub 10 lakhs segment is not viable for them. Bla blah. Too restrictive. Bla bla. Well, the market has moved to the 10-20 lakhs segment. Whats the excuse now? Your expertise products have moved to the 20+ lakhs segment now?
Don't know Honda's plans, since they are not even strong in the crossover/SUV market. While Toyota is like the dragon guarding a slew of products suited for India, but won't allow to be launched.
Their cash cows are running dry, better get the creta rival on the market ASAP.

Ford Respect the market's love for Ecosport and better get the next gen styling like the Bronco Sports. Don't make it flowy crossoverish like the euro Ford's.
Also differentiate the Mahindra JV products.

Rest Thank you for the trust in potential Indian market, inspite of the red ink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
A couple of snippets of information:
From my colleagues in Suzuki and Toyota, what I understand is that they have a backlog of orders and an equally serious shortage of parts resulting in an even more serious ever increasing drought in network stock. So, another lockdown or emergency would mean that these guys will not have any more car to sell, which should ring alarm .
Weird coming from Maruti who built the modern automobile production system in India, and Toyota with their hallowed production system.
Maybe the Just-In-Time approach playing havoc?
DicKy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 09:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
So, hypothetically, if the market wisens up and realises the demise of age of Diesel, then Suzuki is uniquely well placed to capitalise. But from all indications, that is least likely to happen.
I wouldn't call them well-placed because IMHO - Maruti petrol lineup is now lame as well. Hyundai - Kia not only has good diesels, but also the benchmark petrol engines. The good old K12 is no match for the 1.0 TGDi and others like the K15 are pretty average as well.

Maruti has become too complacent over the last few years and it shows!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 09:52   #40
Team-BHP Support

The highlight for me is Hyundai and Kia. Maruti figures are impressive but look at the top cars on sale. They are all cars below 10L price except for the Ertiga and Brezza.

In comparison look at the sales of Hyundai and Kia. The highest selling are cars costing close to 20L and they sold 22K units of Seltos and Creta.

Then there's the Venue which does 8-9K and the Sonet will sell probably similar.

Hyundai also has a future line up of cars like new i20 and their other cars like Aura, i10 Nios, Verna are all recently refreshed with modern engines. They probably have more new cars coming in as well.

I just checked Maruti and the potential future line up looks dry. Other than probably updates to Ciaz, Baleno I am not able to see what MAruti has planned in future. Not just cars, even engines and gearboxes don't seem to be on the horizon.

They discontinued the 1.0L boosterjet so highly doubtful that will make a comeback. The 1.4L booster jet is there but what car can it go in?

I can only see the Jimny and maybe a bigger SUV like the Vitara as potential for India.

Are they fully banking on EV's for the future?

Going by the trend, I won't be surprised if we will have a new number 1 in the next 2 years and that will be a Korean.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 14:57   #41
BHPian

It's been sometime since I have posted anything on monthly sales thread as there was nothing exciting happening. However there is some exception this time. let me try to read my perception of market.

1) While the sales figures are better than last month and August 2019, Indian automobile is in nowhere close to recovery. This sudden jump in sale is mainly to cater the festival demand so let there be not much confusion there.
2) Take the case of Ertiga. They have dispatched 11148( Including XL6) this month. Do remember this is petrol only figure. In FY2019, MSIL dispatched around 65000 Ertiga out of which 50% were for Diesel. So this takes the average petrol sale at 2700 units per month. Even if we assume that the interest on new Ertiga is double as last year or the year before, we should expect a sale of around 5000 petrol Ertiga every month whereas the dispatch is double of that. Clearly inventory build up for festival season.
3) MSIL should be really worried about Brezza. With Sonet set to launch this month, Hyundai-Kia combo has done a double slam on MSIL and they don't seem to have anything to bounce back.
4) Wonder what is happening with Triber. One of the best launches in recent times but people seem to be losing interest on it. My cousin recently bought one and it fits their requirement to T. Such a nice car. Hope Renault gives it more attention.
5) Creta the king is back in style. Many had rightly said in our forum that the car looks much better in person than pics. It seems Hyundai has once again read the Indian public perfectly here. Many are saying Seltos looks a bit dated when compared to Creta!. One of my colleagues brother was looking for an upgrade from his First gen Dzire diesel. He had this all time dream of owning Honda City and finally when the fifth gen released, he ran to showroom to book one asap. He was mesmerized by the looks although test drive was not 100% convincing. I casually suggested to look at the new Creta. He had not at all liked the new gen looks but since the showroom was nearby he gave them a call and 1 hour later the car was at his home. He and his family spent some time inside the car, did a test drive, came back home and gave the advance amount as a cheque. He was bowled over by the interiors. he said it felt like sitting inside a 40-50L car. His choice of color was white and frankly even the exterior is not bad in white.
6) Nothing much to say about VW. other than the fact that dealer are sitting on the existing stock of Tiguan Allspace as it seems to be rejected completely. They are getting lots of cancellations for T-roc as well so not sure what is going to happen to them.
7) Finally let me get to TATA, the reason for me to post in monthly sales thread this time around. As someone said, You reap what you sow seems to be the best mantra to explain about TATA. They gave shoddy cars in the past and public rightly rejected them. Now they are giving excellent cars and public is slowly warming up to them. Their monthly dispatch is amazing this time around. Please note TATA is the only manufacturer who voluntarily agreed to the demands of FADA in keeping the dealer inventory to 30 days for every car . This means people definitely are getting pulled into their showrooms and hearts! Also one thing many might not have noticed is that TATA has stopped maximum number of cars in the recent times. Apart from Nano, they have stopped Bolt, Zest, Safari, Sumo and Hexa (temporarily). having just 5 cars in their production line can definitely help them concentrate more on listening to public demands. Recent examples are the sunroof version of Nexon and Harrier in the lower trims. With DCT version of Altroz, Nexon in pipeline, along with Hexa comeback and the hornbill launch, TATA definitely have busy days ahead.
RaghuVis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:39   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Segment- Wise sales data:

Name:  seg.PNG
Views: 3185
Size:  150.4 KB

- Compact Hatchback segment was the largest segment in terms of volumes; yet again Mid-SUV segment registered one of the highest YoY growth.

-Premium Hatchback segment overtook the Compact SUVs and was the third largest segment and contributed near to 12% of the passenger car sales in India for Augist 2020.

-Compact SUV segment ranked 4th and grew flat

-Entry Hatchback segment grew significantly at 83% YoY – It was the segment that recorded the highest YoY growth in Aug’20. It signifies increased influx of first time car buyers and growing sales of the models in the segment.

-MUV segment too has grown considerably and now contributes to over 10% of the overall sales.

Segment Wise & Model Wise Sales Data :

1.Entry Hatchback

Name:  alto.PNG
Views: 3105
Size:  9.6 KB

2.Compact Hatchback

Name:  wagon.PNG
Views: 3099
Size:  10.8 KB

3.Premium Hatchback

Name:  bale.PNG
Views: 3101
Size:  9.7 KB

4.Compact Sedan Segment

Name:  dzi.PNG
Views: 3088
Size:  10.1 KB

5.Executive Sedan

Name:  ciaz.PNG
Views: 3073
Size:  9.7 KB

6. Premium Sedan

Name:  civic.PNG
Views: 3067
Size:  8.8 KB

7. Luxury Sedan Segment

Name:  Superb.PNG
Views: 3059
Size:  6.9 KB

8. Compact SUV

Name:  brezza.PNG
Views: 3040
Size:  10.5 KB

9. Mid-SUV segment

Name:  creta.PNG
Views: 3063
Size:  10.4 KB

10. Premium SUV

Name:  fort.PNG
Views: 3065
Size:  9.4 KB

11. MUV Segment

Name:  erti.PNG
Views: 3028
Size:  10.4 KB
Source
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 10:05   #43
BHPian

Happy to see the Tatas steadily moving up the Sales charts. Having seen some of their new cars up close its really unbelievable the kind of workmanship that has gone into the design. They were also early adopters of Turbo petrols in a value packaging. The 5 STAR GLOBAL NCAP ratings further gives a positive halo to the vehicle. Just wondering on where TATA stands to rigorously improving their AFTER SALES SERVICE as that's the one remaining Achilles heel. If they manage to crack that puzzle, they can go a long way.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2020 at 19:39. Reason: Minor typo
Old 7th September 2020, 10:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Most over here is saying Maruti has done well in Aug. And the stock prices too is showing a major climb, but I am not so convinced.

If we look carefully, their sales hasn't recovered to previous levels. In the Manufacturers Sales Trends, Maruti is still way below its higher volumes seen in late 2019. Whereas, the competition, mainly Hyundai & Tata has already passed those highs in Aug. That's the reason why the overall market share has now dropped to ~48% for Maruti.

Not surprising really! Age old engines, 4 speed AT and no diesels can get you only so much! Besides, the segments that Maruti moves big has been hit real bad due to the poor economy. The product road map also doesn't give much confidence. Whereas, it can only get even better for Hyundai, Tata or Kia. For Maruti, there is a good chance for further drop in market share from what I see.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 10:30   #45
BHPian

Just want to understand the curious case of Skoda Rapid here, when it launched there was a huge buzz but looks like that is not reflecting in sales numbers. I am not expecting to sell like Creta but count did not even cross 750. Am I missing something here ?
VigneshMC is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks