Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 15:04   #61
BHPian

Re: August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

What a interesting sales! Thanks Team BHP and fellow bhpians for such an interesting post and sharing respective thoughts.

I loved to see the resurgence of Tata from death bed.

Korean Siblings (Hyundai + Kia) are not going to stop. It is evident now with the current success and future product line ups.

Japanese Siblings (Honda, Toyota) are almost losing the Indian market and no future strategy I can see from both.

It is always difference that I observed in Korean vs Japanese. Koreans are very aggressive with high business acumen however, Japanese are very slow with poor business acumen.

Diverting from automobiles, but how electronics market has been captured by Koreans (Samsung, LG) and how Japanese (Sony, Panasonic) are struggling, the same now we can see in Automobile World too.

Hope to see Korean Siblings rule the Indian market soon and replace no. 1 position 1st time in Indian automobile history in the coming years.
fearless_IN is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 16:43   #62
BHPian

Super glad to see the efforts of TaMo being rewarded slowly.

A bit more variant correction and introduction of DCT/Turbo Petrol will be an icing on cake for TATA.

And dear TATA you must appoint a team for strictly following up with all your dealers. Finally after years and years of hardwork you have a strong lineup, try to capitalize on it.
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 17:43   #63
BHPian

Seltos and Creta together selling more than swift, Not having a diesel engine didn't affect Maruti's lineup.
Old 7th September 2020, 19:37   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
MUV sales: Maruti Suzuki all the way!

Ertiga+XL6 sold 11,148 units in August 2020.

- Toyota to worry as Innova sales drop
- 1 Cr Plus costing Toyota Vellfire does 16 unit!

Attachment 2051793

Source:Auto Punditz

As we witness jump in first time car buyers' / personal segments.

I think Innova suffers from a very different problem compared to rest. The drop might be induced by slowdown in commercial / cab market - low business & leisure travel, slump in tourism, reduced shuttles due to work from home in cities & like. Expect the volumes to be stunted for longer period for Toyota.
vigneshnr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I wouldn't call them well-placed because IMHO - Maruti petrol lineup is now lame as well. Hyundai - Kia not only has good diesels, but also the benchmark petrol engines. The good old K12 is no match for the 1.0 TGDi and others like the K15 are pretty average as well.

Maruti has become too complacent over the last few years and it shows!
Lame is what the market says is lame. I have fallen into the trap of predicting Suzuki's demise in India since 2005. Every time markets have proven me wrong with customers lining up to buy their contraptions. I have been waiting for Suzuki to fail in India for 15 years so that I can feel vindicated.
With regards to current petrol engine line up, I am sorry to say this, but there is no replacement for displacement. The turbo engines in all its forms and from different makes are fun no doubt but do not attract the average Joe. In India we judge quality of cameras by the megapixel count. The thinking doesn't change too much vis a vis cars and won't change much in near future IMHO. Connoisseurs may have their likings but Average Joes dictate business decisions for most mass market players. And again I am sorry but I won't be caught dead touching VW stuff with a ten foot long pole.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th September 2020 at 03:17. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 23:52   #66
BHPian

Could someone explain how theGypsy made it to the list?
IIRC, it's production had been stopped last year. Then again it was resumed briefly for the Indian Army. So in August 2020 as well, was it again resumed for the Army?
Old 8th September 2020, 06:58   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. View Post
Could someone explain how theGypsy made it to the list?
Yes this was produced against an order from Army. I had read about this on a news article somewhere.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:42   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I think all the happy percentage rises are due to the fact that 2019 was a bad year for Indian automotive sector.

It would be good to look at the sales data from 2018-2019-2020. That would give us a true picture of how much sales each OEM has gained in the last 2 years.

Tata for example, even though they are showing a 154% increase, in number terms, they have just about managed to get back to the 2018 figures.
Thank, this really puts things in perspective!

Seems like the slide from August 2018 to August 2019 was way worse as compared to August 2019 to August 2020. Obviously, a lot of it could be due to demand piling up during the lock downs but the winners and losers are clear when the 2018 numbers are considered as well. The folks at Nissan, Ford, FCA, Toyota, VW and Honda should certainly be concerned by what is a considerable decline in their market shares. Skoda seems to be an outlier despite the outdated Rapid and there is reason to think that a new product onslaught will bring Skoda back in the game (not so sure about VW though!).
Old 8th September 2020, 21:47   #69
BHPian

Happy to see Tata Motors holding the 3rd Position. Well deserved achievement, I would say.

The sales has bounced back to the pre-covid levels and this seems to be a moment of relief for the entrire industry.

I wonder what Honda was smoking when planning City 2020 while the market was running for SUVs. These guys should see the Creta and Seltos twins and work on something to do justice to the market, else the slot in Top 5 is far from reach. WRV and Jazz cannot do much to push them to heights.

Last edited by albertprince : 8th September 2020 at 21:48.
albertprince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 01:46   #70
BHPian

More than anything, what a moment in history with the water falling down graph for April 2020 and then rising back up to soar again. Man! Named em the "Gorge Graphs." Hope and pray we don't get to see this often. Has been a rough year.
Old 9th September 2020, 15:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

New vehicle registrations down by 26.81% in August 2020

According to the data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), vehicle registrations declined by 26.81% in August 2020. Overall sales stood at 11,88,087 units, compared to 16,23,218 units in August 2019. The MoM data shows a slight improvement as result of the ongoing festive season.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

FADA has stated that entry level passenger vehicles were in high demand as personal mobility is being preferred during the current pandemic.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

The rural market is showing signs of revival. Tractor, small commercial vehicle and entry level passenger vehicle sales have positively impacted August sales. However, overall demand is still not back to pre-Covid levels.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

2-wheeler sales declined by 28.71% to 8,98,775 units compared to the same month previous year.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

3-wheeler sales were down by 69.51%. 16,857 units were sold compared to 55,293 units in August 2019.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-5.jpg

Passenger vehicle sales saw a decline of 7.12%. 1,78,513 units were sold compared to 1,92,189 units in August 2019.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-6.jpg

Sales of commercial vehicles dropped by 57.39%. 26,536 units were sold in August 2020 compared to 62,270 units in the same month previous year.

Tractor sales increased by 27.80% to 67,406 units.

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-7.jpg

FADA expects strong demand pullback if banks and NBFCs return with aggressive financing schemes.

Team-BHP's detailed analysis of the August 2020 sales figures (August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis).

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-8.jpg

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-9.jpg

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-10.jpg

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-11.jpg

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-12.jpg

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-13.jpg

Last edited by TusharK : 9th September 2020 at 15:33.
TusharK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 17:05   #72
BHPian

I was just curious seeing the numbers of actual registrations, factory dispatches and their difference. So i took the data for last 2 months to see how we are faring. From the statistics, its clear every manufacturer/dealer (with exception of Honda, Toyota and Nissan) is stocking up for the big festival season ahead. Surprising to see the numbers for MG-Close to 45% of their stock is unsold. Wonder what strategy they are following. Maybe the hype is slowly fading away. Expect Honda and Toyota to stock up this month.

PS: Not taking numbers of VW/Skoda as FADA has started confusing us. They have put numbers individually as well as a joint company.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-sales1.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 17:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
New vehicle registrations down by 26.81% in August 2020

According to the data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), vehicle registrations declined by 26.81% in August 2020. Overall sales stood at 11,88,087 units, compared to 16,23,218 units in August 2019. The MoM data shows a slight improvement as result of the ongoing festive season.

Quote:
I was just curious seeing the numbers of actual registrations, factory dispatches and their difference. So i took the data for last 2 months to see how we are faring. From the statistics, its clear every manufacturer/dealer (with exception of Honda, Toyota and Nissan) is stocking up for the big festival season ahead. Surprising to see the numbers for MG-Close to 45% of their stock is unsold. Wonder what strategy they are following. Maybe the hype is slowly fading away. Expect Honda and Toyota to stock up this month.

This is why:

There is an important caveat which should be added with the FADA numbers.

Disclaimer:
1- The above numbers do not have figures from AP, AN, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.
2- Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 07.09.20 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport &
Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,242 out of 1,450 RTOs.

Now I am assuming that this also applied to last year's August numbers so we can compare marketshare, but the data is still incomplete.

Which is why sales figures of OEMs look mysteriously low, for eg just 88,000~ for Maruti. Therefore it does not mean that Maruti is building more than it can sell, because we dont know how many has been sold since FADA does not have the data for big states like Andhra and Telengana.

Last edited by avishar : 9th September 2020 at 17:10.
avishar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 19:18   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Vehicle registration Statistics: August 2020

- Maruti Suzuki reported an increase in Market Share YoY and was able to command a Market Share of ~50% in August 2020.

-Hyundai ranked second and recorded a Market Share increase too.

- Tata had an impressive month where both Wholesale & Retails were better. It also increased its Market Share by 2.3% in Aug’20 v/s Aug’19.

-Mahindra’s Market Share loss was the highest in August 2020. The Indian major’s market share dropped by -2.7% in Aug’20 v/s same period last year.

-Kia is on a roll. It is already commanding a Market Share of 4-5.% within 1 year of operations. With Sonet; Kia is surely eyeing Mahindra’s & Tata’s spot.

-While MG recorded a YoY growth of 41.3% in terms of wholesales; the registrations surprisingly recorded a degrowth of -8.9%

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-oemwisecarretails.jpg

NOTE:

1. The Above numbers do not have figures from AP, AN, MP, LD & TS as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.

2. Vehicle Registration Data has been collated as on 07.08.20 and in collaboration with Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and has been gathered from 1,235 out of 1,445 RTOs.

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 19:23   #75
BHPian

Just 188 units from VW is shocking!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed