Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 09:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The Creta is flying off the shelves as if there is no tomorrow! It sold more than even the compact SUVs.

City has regained the crown for the best-seller with the Verna a close second and the Ciaz a distant third.

I am expecting the Kia Sonet to disrupt the sub 4m SUV segment.

It’s been a good revival for the industry on a whole, expect it to improve even more in the coming months. Tata seeing the biggest YOY growth.

Toyota needs a shot in the arm otherwise they are dead now, only 100 units separating the Fortuner and Endeavour now. Innova Crysta has settled at 2500-3000 units. Urban Cruiser will add a max of 2K units not more than that.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th September 2020 at 09:48.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:54   #7
BHPian

It's seems that Maruti's sales figure is hardly affected by lack of diesels.
Whereas other manufacturers are clearly showing effect due to lack of it.
I was guessing that at least bigger cars like Ertiga, Ciaz, Brezza sale would have visible effect on it.
But no.!

Great going Maruti.
I see no reason for them to spend a rupee on BS6 diesel mill now.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:02   #8
BHPian

Two observations

1) Tata's YoY figures show an impressive rise. I like almost all of the options in their current lineup, they just need to fine tune some of them (DCT in a couple of models, better engine in Altroz and so on) and they're going to continue this trend in the near future. It's good to see an Indian manufacturer doing well.

2) People seem to be buying more of the Cretas and Seltos over Venue and Brezza. The YoY rise of subcompact SUV figures over the compact SUV is definitely significant. Especially given the financial impact of the pandemic. What could it be?
RoadMonkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:38   #9
BHPian

7,765 i20s dispatched despite the new gen launch being around the corner! And the Creta numbers, damn Hyundai is killing it!

Happy to see TML's growth, especially the Harrier.

Jeep compass is probably on its last legs here, sad to see for such a brilliant car.

The overall market seems to have recovered well, I can foresee a better Diwali than last year for car manufacturers.
Shreyas_H is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

11758 Creta + 10555 Seltos = HUGE profits for Hyundai - Kia. They have truly perfected the C segment crossover formula for India.

If Sonet does the same thing - Maruti is in for some real headache, as Brezza is already trailing Venue.

City has a lead over Verna, but it is not clear if the sales are coming from the new generation, or the discounted 4th generation that is still on sale. Ciaz seems to be losing customer interest though. All the C sedans put together still doesn't sell a fraction of what the Creta - Seltos partnership is achieving!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:15   #11
BHPian

Market has certainly moved forward to the higher side of 10 Lakhs !
Also there are only very few options for one looking for an upgrade under 10 Lakhs, generally fitted with a 1.2 NA engine across the brands which are good for first time buyers but not for someone upgrading from Alto, WagonR, Swift, Tiago, Kwid or Celerio . Its understandable that one would find it sensible to go for a hot selling mid SUV or Top variants of cSUVs or Sedans like City/Verna .

Mid SUVs above 10 Lakhs have clear domination over the cSUVs right now , Sonet introduction might change it temporarily .

August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1599197998429.jpg
August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1599198009556.jpg

Ertiga/XL6 consistent numbers are pure surprise, can't find the package as a sensible people mover with petrol only engine options , consumers finding something else in them it seems. New Ertiga with its SUVish looks has certainly cannabilized the Brezza sales coupled with diesel exit and strong competition, it's tough time for Brezza.

Meanwhile aggressive TataMotors is into a sunroof war , now introduced pano-sunroof in Tata Harrier mid variant XT+ at 16.99 Lakhs !
August 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1192eec8031843d588951fe3a793674a.jpeg

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 4th September 2020 at 11:29.
TorqueIndia is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:39   #12
BHPian

I can't seem to find the nexon ev sales figures in this list. Have they been combined with the Nexon ICE sales figures ?
aansh singhania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
I can't seem to find the nexon ev sales figures in this list. Have they been combined with the Nexon ICE sales figures ?
I think it's time we have a seperate graph purely for EVs. Numbers will only keep rising and there is a lot to understand within the sales trends in this segment. There is no point clubbing them with ICE since the purchase decisions for EVs don't purely depend on price.
chittybang is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
I think it's time we have a seperate graph purely for EVs. Numbers will only keep rising and there is a lot to understand within the sales trends in this segment. There is no point clubbing them with ICE since the purchase decisions for EVs don't purely depend on price.
Yes I agree but I am not sure whether they have been clubbed or just skipped by mistake. I wanted to compare it's sales figures with the more expensive zs ev and kona
Old 4th September 2020, 12:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Meanwhile aggressive TataMotors is into a sunroof war , now introduced pano-sunroof in Tata Harrier mid variant XT+ at 16.99 Lakhs !
Brilliant move by Tata. I am surprised by their activeness for a change. They have realised making only safe cars won't sell as many as they want. Masses want a sunroof, a touch screen, led DRL's and other bling features. Will be very interesting to see the coming months harrier numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
11758 Creta + 10555 Seltos = HUGE profits for Hyundai - Kia. They have truly perfected the C segment crossover formula for India.

If Sonet does the same thing - Maruti is in for some real headache, as Brezza is already trailing Venue.

City has a lead over Verna, but it is not clear if the sales are coming from the new generation, or the discounted 4th generation that is still on sale. Ciaz seems to be losing customer interest though. All the C sedans put together still doesn't sell a fraction of what the Creta - Seltos partnership is achieving!
C segment is struggling since some time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. When someone like me who has always been a sedan guy is looking for a C-Suv, SUV as a new buy then surely C segment has lost its charm. With our pothole ridden roads and bulging speed breakers a sedan makes less sense now. Even Tata has realised that but sadly Honda is sleeping as usual.
harry10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks