Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Digital Instrument Cluster: Yay or Nay?
Yes please! 185 30.38%
No thanks, prefer old school dials. 319 52.38%
Not really particular about digital/analog instrument cluster 105 17.24%
Voters: 609. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 23:03   #61
BHPian

Re: Digital Dials and their increasing popularity

I am personally okay with digital dials given they’re executed well e.g. having a legible screen, cost,repairability, anti glare in sunlight and Acceptable animations.
This is the way forward Afterall. We will have to embrace the tech eventually. And considering how manufacturers jump onto an idea in this competitive market I see all of them eventually using digital dials in upcoming cars.
gulerianeeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 23:48   #62
BHPian

Porsche. How they have retained their classic layout, yet given it a modern touch.
I think nothing beats the seamless amalgamation of the central analog tacho flanked by digital screens on either side.

I hope they keep it this way.

Old school
Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-porsche_911997_turbo_speedo.jpg

Goes semi-digital
Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-2018porschepanamera_100593541_h.jpg
McLaren Roxx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 23:54   #63

Can't vote yet, but it would be a NO like the majority here. I like to see the metering (speed and RPM) analog, which helps in better connect with the machine on drive. Other info can and ofcourse has to be displayed digitally.

However, a complete digital cluster as some are advocating is just overdoing things where not required. Some measure has to be kept physical for the sake of real pleasure of doing that thing. Also, mimicking a physical instrument exactly digitally may not be the right utilization of technology.
Madywheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 23:56   #64
BHPian

I'm ok with either digital or analog instrument dials, but what matters me the most is how well they're calibrated and how legible and bright it is while driving, in particular day time.

I personally would like to have a digital display for speedometer and an analog dial for Tachometer, as it's always good to see the needle climbing up on revving the car. The displays will mostly be digital in the coming years, and we have to adopt ourselves to the developing tech. Also, the digital dials throws a lot of information which certainly comes handy in most situations. I personally like the Skoda's Virtual Cockpit.
mr_freakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 00:00   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benisondhanji View Post
Glad that I was able to buy the 4th gen Honda City with an analog tachometer and that glorious redlining 1.5-liter I-Vtec. Just hate the tachometer on the new Creta kinda feels the same size as my humble Alto K10.
Exactly summing up my feelings.. I don't like the 5th gen Honda City and the dials are one of the reasons apart from a rotund appearance and dumb dash. The 4th generation arrowshot design was so purposeful
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 01:40   #66

I would prefer the analogue dials over a digital console. I prefer the needle climbing all the way to the redline on my car. And the RPM needle on my car (i10) is red which makes it look more aggressive when the needle picks up pace.

And the RPM gauge is wallpaper material according to me, so I've kept it as my wallpaper.

Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-screenshot_20200908013345.png

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2020 at 02:24. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
Aakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 07:24   #67
BHPian

I believe the days of analog readouts are numbered. Digital is here to stay and is part of our daily life - From the Kirana grocer who is using a weighing device as opposed to a beam balance or the Raddi wala who is using a digital guage or (as mentioned earlier) SpaceX using touchscreens on the crew dragon - This is the future. Like it or hate it. That said, I would certainly like manufacturers or third party firms to provide 'skins' for the data display. It's all software so why not? Colors, Fonts everything can be customized to base data from sensors. That would be one heck of a DYI/business opportunity.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 09:12   #68
BHPian

I'm fine with digitals and analog both, but my heart says analog.

It also depends on the implementation. Take a look at the Honda City's implementation. Its beautiful. Its likeable. No two ways about it.

Now look at what Tata has been doing with their speedometers. Though I can live with that but I personally feel they could have done it a lot better. But still, it comes as a USP for the Tiago/Tigor, that they come with the digital setup from the base variant itself. First impressions though, its good.

Hyundai on the other hand, have unimpressive setups in Aura/Nios but just take a loom at the Santro's implementation. It's miles ahead of what they have done in a segment above.

So manufacturers have been looking at digital speedometers as only USP's for a Model and not to enhance the overall experience. And here where things get wrong.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 11:49   #69

Part analog and part digital cluster from Hyundai Aura/ i10 NIOS. Design is very basic, I hated it initially but it has kind of grown on me now.

Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-img_20200314_111555.jpg
ravigupta000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 15:02   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a simple man who wears analog watches and prefers analog meters like this

There is pleasure in watching the Speedo and tacho needles swipe past the numbers, which I absolutely miss in fully digital Speedos (a la Kwid)

Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-img_20200908_1251204892.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th September 2020 at 15:05.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 15:40   #71
BANNED

Voted for Analog dials. Here is how my Fiesta's cluster looks like. Gives out all the necessary information in one shot without having to toggle around. Personally, it doesn't look dated even now.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-speedo.jpg  

Kishen.padiyar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 16:05   #72
BHPian

I prefer analog speedo and tacho. I can accept digital version but they have to maintain the dials. It takes a fraction second more to read digital number as opposed to read from a semi circular dial in my opinion.
sabby_4c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 16:17   #73
BHPian

I have seen some high end bikes and cars speedo and rpm meters' needles go to extreme end of range and then come back to zero or initial reading when car is switched on. That looks fantastic. Can a digital dial and needle give the same feeling?
And talking about the operator's console of spacecraft, yes it obviously have many many information and alarm, but those are mostly on auto and controlled primarily from ground stations rather manuevaring the vehicle from inside. Real time fast controlling still needs mix of digital and analogue. Those space craft consoles works are temp. Control, gas control, lightning, experimentation environment control, alignment, position control of probes, solar panel, attachment etc. And not speed or orbital control.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 16:20   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I believe the days of analog readouts are numbered. Digital is here to stay and is part of our daily life - From the Kirana grocer who is using a weighing device as opposed to a beam balance or the Raddi wala who is using a digital guage or (as mentioned earlier) SpaceX using touchscreens on the crew dragon - This is the future. Like it or hate it. That said, I would certainly like manufacturers or third party firms to provide 'skins' for the data display. It's all software so why not? Colors, Fonts everything can be customized to base data from sensors. That would be one heck of a DYI/business opportunity.
I firmly hope the Car Manufacturers do not make that mistake!!! Akin to how the Airplane cockpits got back their analog dials, driving a Car calls for split second decisions for which we need to crunch the numbers/trends. The best way to convey this message is analog dials. Digital dials that throw mere numbers would either be outright confusing or have legibility issues in varying degrees of light(ex. In and out of a Tunnel, Weaving through a dense forest cover, direct sunlight, rainy and foggy conditions etc. )
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:23   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby_4c View Post
I prefer analog speedo and tacho. I can accept digital version but they have to maintain the dials. It takes a fraction second more to read digital number as opposed to read from a semi circular dial in my opinion.
it takes only an instant to read a dial; it takes only two or three instants to also see change and speed of change on a dial. This can never be done with numeric displays: the attempt would make the digits unreadable. What is the experience, in this respect, of those with numeric-display speedometers?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed