Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Digital Instrument Cluster: Yay or Nay?
Yes please! 185 30.38%
No thanks, prefer old school dials. 319 52.38%
Not really particular about digital/analog instrument cluster 105 17.24%
Voters: 609. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 20:34   #76
BHPian

Re: Digital Dials and their increasing popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What is the experience, in this respect, of those with numeric-display speedometers?
I had driven cars with Digital displays including those that Projected data like map on the Windscreen. The main grouse I had was that apart from the distraction aspects, the display was not uniform since it is artificially generated. Driving under multiple conditions like cloudy, rainy, very sunny, tunnels etc. sometimes in quick sucesssion of each other were not well managed. This was based on driving a BMW SUV in Stockholm weather conditions during a travel. I stopped looking at the digital gizmos and concentrated on minimalistic analog dial after that. My Indian friend who owned the SUV agreed sheepishly that he did not use the Digital projection gizmos either and it was pretty much a show off
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:40   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
I firmly hope the Car Manufacturers do not make that mistake!!! Akin to how the Airplane cockpits got back their analog dials, driving a Car calls for split second decisions for which we need to crunch the numbers/trends. The best way to convey this message is analog dials. Digital dials that throw mere numbers would either be outright confusing or have legibility issues in varying degrees of light(ex. In and out of a Tunnel, Weaving through a dense forest cover, direct sunlight, rainy and foggy conditions etc. )
The question here is about the visuals - right? What if information is presented in a dial based format but is not a physical gauge? As mentioned in my earlier post, the source of data is moving towards digital. How it is presented should be customizable.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
The question here is about the visuals - right? What if information is presented in a dial based format but is not a physical gauge? As mentioned in my earlier post, the source of data is moving towards digital. How it is presented should be customizable.
In my most recent message I had also presented my contra viewpoint on Digital displays in varying light conditions that can change in quick succession. Until the Car makers manage to tackle that problem properly I feel that shift to digital would only be a temporary phenomenon.
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 09:24   #79
BHPian

I'd say digital with customization options is the way to go. A small fitbit can have many clock faces. Why not a car?
I understand most cars have customization options for the middle portion between the rpm and speed dials. If these dials are also on a screen, then it makes no sense to fix that display and allow customization for the rest of the ~20% of the screen.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 12:33   #80
BHPian

Allowing greater customisation of an all digital instrument cluster is a safety risk IMO. There are a few aspects - Speed, Engine temp, Fuel level, RPM etc. that have to be displayed at all times and be easily readable under all circumstances.

If we leave it to the aam junta, many might simply treat it like their smartphones & replace all of the above with some useless infographic or apply their favourite wallpaper

Manufacturers should first provide a higher resolution, brightness & contrast screen. Then giving a fixed few options basis different 'modes' is fine, with a few add-ons (turn by turn navigation, tpms info etc., if the screen is large enough.

An HUD showing such vital info makes more sense instead of cramming everything into the one central screen.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

I am sucker for digital readouts. As long as the displays are kept simple and don't cram too much information, am fine with it. The Nios/Aura display in page5, looks good. And Apple Carplay/Android Auto type integrations are an absolute no-no. Same goes to trying to implement analog displays the digital way, that is downright ugly.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:32   #82
Senior - BHPian

I love digital screens in place of analog instrument clusters.

My wife's car has a screen instead of dials and since it's customisable, we can choose the layout of the information we prefer or even which information we want to be hidden.

Also, they look cooler and is an attractive focal point when one sit's in the driver's seat. Add the ability of having a multitude of information in it such as maps, it just becomes a much more useful cluster in the driver's line of sight and reduces the driver's dependence on the centre infotainment screen.

But of course, not all manufactures provide well designed digital clusters with easy to read information. It can be a hit or miss depending on the vehicle.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 14:11   #83
BANNED

Digital dials are probably more accurate in displaying vehicular information. However, id like to stick with old type analog meters. Yes over the years they need some servicing. But its a pleasure to see the analog needle go up and down.
Above is in my personal yet humble opinion.
pdpyen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:42   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll go with the majority and say that I prefer old school analog dials. Old school dials with a digital MID screen somewhere in between is my most preferred layout and represents the 'just right' balance of digital and analog for me.

I don't understand this trend of having digital screens which imitate analog dials. I mean, what's wrong with having the real thing?

Love the cluster design in both my cars - VW GTI and BMW X3 - which follow the classic VW and BMW way of doing things when it comes to instrument clusters.

GTI
Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-gti.jpg

X3
Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-x3.jpg
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 11:50   #85
BHPian

I am not in the favor of digital instrument clusters and I voted a no. A well laid out set of analog dials add a sense of connection, purity, passion and invokes the spirit of driving in you. The mechanical aspect of the dials makes it feel special and it something hard to explain.

These dials have been there for decades and have proven in their reliability. Its easy to fix If something goes wrong and it will not cost you a bomb to fix it, its just easier on your pocket in my opinion. The digital screens lack the novelty factor to me and in the digital age we are forgetting to appreciate the brilliance of mechanical engineering and the value it brings to the table. Cars are no more about driving, handling and dynamics I guess, its about just fancy gimmicks these days and people are sold onto that.

I agree digital is here to stay but I think we are going overboard, there are so many threads in Team-BHP on issues with modern cars today, the cost of maintenance and spares. I wonder with time as these cars age, people will shudder to buy a second hand vehicle. The though of if anything goes wrong and it might cost a bomb to fix will disrupt the entire industry and I'm not a judge to decide on that.
AnishRanjan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 13:32   #86
BHPian

My ideal concept of speedo console is 2 well-designed round dials for speedo and tacho flanked with dials for temp and fuel gauges and a good colour screen in the middle with which can be customised for various information. The one in Kia Seltos, Jeep Compass and prev gen A6 are few of my favourites.

But the dials, it should be analogue.

Last edited by northstar* : 16th September 2020 at 13:33. Reason: spelling correction
Old 16th September 2020, 13:50   #87
BHPian

The latest EcoSport has the following in the form of analog which is great considering all new launches have gone digital:
Speedometer
Tachometer
Fuel gauge
Engine temperature gauge

I prefer analog ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-b7d5ece346ea4e7484ec1f080b0778ca.jpeg  

Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 14:19   #88
BHPian

Voted NO.

Words like "digital", "MID" dont mean much to me!

Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-img_20200717_175340.jpg
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 15:03   #89
BHPian

In my book, digital is for watches, phones, and laptops.

Automobile dials need to be analogue, or a digital variant of a traditional analogue. I cannot stand gimmicks in a centre console let alone in the dials. Still happy with my 330i. (Old pic)

Digital Dials and their increasing popularity-enlight366-2.jpg
haldar_siliguri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 15:20   #90
BHPian

Greetings,

I prefer analog dials with a Colour TFT LCD in the meter console which gives relevant information. But a meter like the one in new Verna is strict no-no.

Though, I loved the one on old Civic but apart from that didn't like it on anyone else.

Thanks.
adv.yzr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks