Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Digital Instrument Cluster: Yay or Nay?
Yes please! 169 29.91%
No thanks, prefer old school dials. 299 52.92%
Not really particular about digital/analog instrument cluster 97 17.17%
Voters: 565. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th September 2020, 13:27   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Digital Dials and their increasing popularity

Whether we like it or not, the future is digital so voted Yes. one of my customers is an automotive Tier 1 supplier and have seen some amazing stuff they are developing in their R&D lab.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:51   #107

Bucking the trend I vote for an unequivocal Yay.

Retro is nice and nostalgia brings that warm fuzzy feeling that we want to experience again and again. But there is no denying the sheer benefits of technology.

The big Cons that I see right off with digital dashboards/dials is Customise-ability and Configure-ability.

Not only will you be able to change the colours and accents to suit your moods/time of the day or whatever you fancy; manufacturers (if not already) will also allow you to choose what information you wish to be displayed & in what manner (a conventional dial / a digital bar scale) on the dashboard. The possibilities are endless. True at present most implementations look garish or tacky but this will improve with time, as access to technology becomes wider and cheaper & concepts flow down from the top tier brands to the lower ones.

Reliability? The analog/physical dials may have a longer life but also have more moving parts so perhaps more prone to niggles; On the other hand the digital dials having no moving parts, rely on digital sensor inputs to output information and eventually should become more reliable with time. As the adaption becomes more widespread the economy of scale should drive the costs down substantially; I am guessing will become not only cheaper but sort of plug and play.

As for those analog die hards, the fast track improvements in digital displays with high definition, high refresh rates and what not, the digital dials will become so good that you'll be hard-pressed to know the difference, top that with the functionality the digital dials will bring in , most will start loving them??
adew1902 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 01:22   #108
BHPian

Having lived with the semi digital console on my Beat for almost a decade I am also on board with the digital console trend as long as the manufacturers present the core info - speed, rpm and fuel levels in an easy to read at a glance, well presented and finely graduated manner. The rest of the info and bells and whistles should be made to fit around these and can be in single or multiple "pages" that are customisable. Less clutter overall is what they should aim for.
For example while the new digital console on the Nexon and Tiago look good overall, I dislike the fact that the tacho is only graduated in 500rpm increments and there seems to be a lot of fine text scattered around like the TPMS that doesn't seem easily readable in the pictures.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed