Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do AT car owners miss slotting the stick into a gear?
Yes 149 27.39%
No 395 72.61%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2020, 15:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: AT Owners: Do you ever miss shifting an MT? Any regrets?

With the DSG (DQ250) I hardly miss shifting gears. Whenever I want to drive aggressively, I either use gear lever/paddle shifts.
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:44   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No. Have a Vento with the TSI DSG combo and that definitely does a way better job than me on a manual. So the sports or manual mode is sufficient for that bit of fun.

The other thing is that the opportunities for that situations where a manual is a lot of fun are almost non existent. The roads are way too crowded and risky today than a few years before. So no point having a manual for those non existent opportunities.

The quality of the AT box does play a role, but there are a lot of good options now and considering the point above, takes care of most situations.

The only MT car in my family now is my sister's Brio. Now I do enjoy that when I drive it once in a while. So yes, I don't miss it at all, but once in a while, feels good to do it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:47   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Wait, what sort of a question is this!

Voted No. Given how intelligent AT boxes have gotten (especially the superb tune on DSGs and ZFs) and the amount of traffic on our roads, an MT doesn't make sense. For the time you really want the thrill of controlling gearshifts, just slot in S.
Hi libranof1987, Agreed the AT technology has gone way beyond what a human brain can do (TCs and DSGs) and not denying there is no replacement for an AT in city traffic but like I said in my post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaysn View Post
The driving involvement in slipping the clutch on inclines, worrying about a roll back, rev matching by heel and toe shifting, skipping a gear under hard acceleration once an overtake maneuver is through, rapid downshifts as per your brain and not the ECU/TCU is something an AT would not let the driver experience. Yes, there are paddle shifter with ATs but most of the auto boxes dont hold a gear in the interest of gearbox longevity or other programmed precautionary measures.
Would someone driving an AT miss doing these which only an MT allows you to experience?
tanaysn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 21:07   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaysn View Post
Would someone driving an AT miss doing these which only an MT allows you to experience?
Pardon me for jumping in here and putting in my 2p worth. Your question is beyond the MT/AT debate. I would like to ask you if you would like one of those mechanical watches. You could spend your time obsessing over how many seconds per month it lost or gained, and if you were the DIY type, open up your watch and make adjustments. You could get a lot of pleasure making sure your watch ran perfectly.

People also used to tinker with their car engines, adjusting valve clearances and taking pride in how smoothly and silently their cars ran. I've similarly rooted all my Kindles, installed alternate OSes, applets, etc, etc, till I realized I don't do any reading on those devices at all! As a student, I had a beater automatic (US) and I read all the auto mags of the day determined to buy the "best" car, that would not only be reliable, economical, hi-tech, etc, but also "fun" to drive as soon as could afford to buy one. Needless to say, I bought a stick shift and as I drove it around, I realized I wasn't the sort of person who derived a great deal of pleasure shifting gears and soon tired of it. I wasn't sure an AT in India was required, given that every car just a few years back, was a MT, but I'm glad I have an AT now that has made my life easier and driving is less of a chore in bumper to bumper traffic.

So, my analysis of this "pleasure" of changing gears is that it is a personal thing that has more to do with our own personalities and nothing to do with the technology.

Thanks for reading my rant.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 22:01   #95
BHPian

For himachal slopes I prefer the Seltos 1/2nd gear "Engine braking" than anything my Octavia 1.8 AT offers. The issue is that the box upshifts even when I use "M" in such situations.

With the Seltos 1/2nd gear I use brakes in conjunction so it's great.
Old 16th September 2020, 23:36   #96
BHPian

Voted No!

While I know manual driving has its own fan following but once you start driving AT’s you do not feel the need to go back to MT’s. Convenience of driving an AT is unparalleled! I remember i used to have sore legs and cramps driving my manual Jazz on Noida-Gurgaon stretch daily. It was rather painful, that is when I thought I had enough of driving an MT and bought Vento AT and sold off Jazz which I otherwise loved.
Old 19th September 2020, 14:32   #97
anb
BHPian

The answer is Yes and No for me. I have 3 automatics (320d, GT TSI, Fortuner) & one manual car (GT TDI). I don't miss a manual while driving the F30 320d and GT TSI. But I do miss a manual while driving the Fortuner thanks to a slow shifting 6 speed auto.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 16:56   #98
BHPian

I have an old gen Vento 1.6 AT that has a TC. It is not bad, the S mode is quite good in my experience. But I get a lot of old school fun driving the Duster AWD!
However, the Vento's battery once gave up in a place where there wasn't many options available and I sorely missed the option of pushing to start it. What if something like that happens during a trip in the middle of nowhere!
Old 29th September 2020, 10:21   #99
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

During 2016-18, I had driven only manuals. Pure joy if there is no traffic or if plowing through twisty roads. A huge pain in traffic (Lucknow/Hyderabad) and I would get leg cramps in stop-and-go traffic. In 2018, I switched to DSG (Superb). Driving has never been the same for me ever again. I might never own an MT ever again unless I go to Scotland and buy an E39 M5 or an Elise. The DSG takes everything good from manual and adds the comfort of AT (except reliability concerns and that random occasion when in S/M, shifting to 1st, you get slammed really hard by the jerk). Although, did change oil at 88k mark, still a bit nervous at times. I put it in neutral when stopping for more than 5 seconds. But I think I've made my point. Going forward, only AT life, preferably a ZF8 if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Attached Thumbnails
AT Owners: Do you ever miss shifting an MT? Any regrets?-images-20200929t101116.053.jpeg  

vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:22   #100

Voted Yes for AT, been driving MT for 14 years from M800, fork ikon 1.8 D where power kicks in above 2000 rpm to for fiesta tdci , miss the pleasure of revving it to corect powerband but as was written in this forum, you have only one knee ,and experienced how bad it traffic can get in Bangalore where 4km between home and office took 1 hr to travel , started experiencing knee. Next car bought a automatic , with sage advice from parents, I was still inclined to manual , now I realise you don't miss it 95% of time , the cruise control feature , really helps reduce fatigue on long drives.
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:52   #101
BHPian

Voted No!

Lets put it this way. I had a left knee. Enough said.
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:05   #102
BHPian

Voted for Yes, I do miss a good old stick at times but not enough to make it my daily driver.
However when things got a little boring with the AT Civic, I went and bought a manual spresso, but again strictly as a second car to have some fun once in a while
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:37   #103
BHPian

Voted NO.
Its been a little over a month that I moved to a 1.4L turbo petrol DCT Creta and I am already in love with the machine. Took her out on the TN highways to stretch her legs and there was not even a single instance where i had to use the paddle shifters also. The engine and gearbox respond to the command of your right foot very nicely.
But i do feel this might not be the case for AT's and CVT.
Ahh.. i will not even bring the AMT in this discussion.
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:10   #104
BHPian

I happen to own a Civic Automatic and 3 other manual cars including an i20 petrol manual. I happen to like both technologies equally. From an enthusiasts stand point, I feel it depends on the vehicle. Some Slush boxes( DCTs and TC's) can even better a manual or atleast match the level of driver involvement and performance.From a convenience stand point, an automatic runs rings around a MT equipped car and wins hands down(especially in the city). That being said, I prefer to alternate between both and will continue to do so. I wouldn't want to get too comfy with an automatic so as to totally give up a MT. Going forward as well, I will always keep both( a MT and an automatic) and will never go fully automatic, since driving a MT car is like the bible of driving and in some years, it will be rare skill. Would never want to lose touch and would like to be equally comfortable with both technologies.(at least till its logical to own one).

Last edited by raunaqv471 : 2nd December 2020 at 13:39.
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:17   #105
Senior - BHPian

Shifted to AT 2 years back, and never was a moment when I regretted. Even while I was right in the middle of 4 feet of snow

AT Owners: Do you ever miss shifting an MT? Any regrets?-dsc_5691.jpg
rkbharat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks