Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Crossover 432 57.14%
Sedan 324 42.86%
Voters: 756. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 11:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?

Heart says Sedan, Mind says Crossover – at least when in India.

Sedans are increasingly irrelevant here this a reason: Crossovers are easier to park and navigate in congested cities and they are generally better suited for the semi-urban/rural roads. It is a different story in a country like the US where even B roads are well-paved. The EU, even with a developed road network, is slowly moving towards crossovers and that is why India will eventually make the shift (VW understands it!).

Don't get me wrong here, Sedans are way more fun and tighter to drive! But for a family, crossover do have more space (or a sense of space) and definitely better luggage carrying capacity and flexibility.

There are exceptions though like the BMW GTs which offer the best of both worlds. The Superb is hard to ignore when in that segment and then it comes down to personal preference.

All said and done, none of us (even the votes to crossovers) would want the sedan segment to wither further.
Kingston is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:50   #32
BHPian

Voted for crossover. Feel more confident driving a longer and bigger Innova than a Rapid.

3 reasons
- comfortable driving/seating position (feel quite uncomfortable in low slung sedan),
- Higher stance improve visibility while driving in city, and the added advantage of ground clearance,
- the extra weight over sedan gives (feels) more comfortable cruising on highway

And I would love to have 4x4 or AWD in same crossover guise, but that would be only and only for what heart wants. Non-adventurous me stays away even from mud as far as possible.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 14th September 2020 at 11:56.
Old 14th September 2020, 11:57   #33
BHPian

Votes fo crossover.

Following pros for crossover outweigh other cons for me:

1. I am 6 feet tall. Upright seating position and leg room is topmost priority.
2. My belief is low slung and pushed back seating position of sedans leads to back pian and other issues. It will be quite lesser in crossovers.
3. Of course ground clearance. Peace of mind. I take Seltos to many such places where Honda City would be nightmare. I am talking about roads only.
Old 14th September 2020, 12:14   #34
BHPian

Too much confusion! it like Ishaan Awasthi saying "letters are dancing". Voted for Sedans as the first thought in my mind.

Sedans: Elegance, Comfort, Driving dynamics

The epitome of luxury is still an S class or a Bentley Continental Spur and not a S class SUV or the Bentayga I usually stick to roads an love fast tarmacs rather than the adventurous off roads. Even if it was an adventurous off road, I would pick the Endeavour over the Kodiaq. Also something i never liked the wannabe categories - crossovers or compact sedans

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 14th September 2020 at 12:37.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 12:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Voted for crossover.

I actually prefer hatchbacks, kind of golf or Id3. But looking at our road conditions I will pick a crossover due to the GC. Hatchbacks give driving position as a sedan and space practicality as a crossover.
Old 14th September 2020, 12:47   #36
BHPian

Voted for Crossover:

1. Crossovers provide better utilization of interior space
2. Higher seating position gives better overall visibility and helps maneuverability in tight spaces
3. Higher ground clearance is a must have on Indian (non-existent) roads, esp during monsoons
4. Higher seating means you are not in the direct line of high beams that the other vehicles keep always on in India

But this is only specific to India. Other countries with better all weather roads and well behaved driving, Sedans will be my choice.
Old 14th September 2020, 12:55   #37
BHPian

Vote goes to : Sedan

My car garage consists of a sedan (Jetta Mk6) & a crossover (Brezza). I like to push my cars on corners and don't feel confident in doing so with Brezza.

One important aspect everyone missing here is pre-owned market. In general, Sedans depreciate a lot faster compared to crossovers. You can practically buy a segment above sedan in pre-owned market (with similar age & mileage).

Pre-owned Xuv 5OO = Pre-owned Jetta
Pre-owned Creta = Pre-owned Elantra
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:01   #38
BHPian

Voted crossover.

Being 6', leg room and ease of ingress/egress are two of the deal breakers for me. Agree sedan's offer more comfort, but crossovers are are not that far behind. Considering the condition of Indian roads, sedans IMO just dont make sense.
Old 14th September 2020, 13:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Other than the ability to handle bad roads, crossovers provide flexibility of carrying more luggage by folding the rear seats.
I also like the idea of accessing the luggage space from the cabin (I know some sedans also have a provision) during long trips.
Old 14th September 2020, 13:36   #40
BHPian

Voted: Crossover

My Car ownership started with the humble Indica Lei Petrol back in 2001.
Followed by a Sedan , the Ford Fiesta. Loved the drive of the Fiesta.
Next moved to the Hot Hatch , i20 and then the Creta got launched.
The Compact SUV which ticked many of the boxes for me.
Driving the Creta for 4 years now, I find it hard to go back to a sedan.

My next change would be the MG ZS EV which is a Crossover/CSUV.

The Crossover/CSUV market share will grow over the Sedans based on the new models coming out and the simple fact one feels great driving a crossover. Which gives then a feeling of driving a real SUV.

Go CrossOver/CSUV
Old 14th September 2020, 13:41   #41
BHPian

Crossover for me.

I’d traded in my Vento for a SCross. While I still miss the driving fun and elegance of the Vento, the GC was a nightmare during mumbai rains and out of city drives. With a full load on a first gear it’d scrape the taller speed breakers! The SCross is a good 20mm higher and miles above in the peace of mind quotient. I feel this is probably the only true blue cross in the entry-mid category. The compact SUVs are definitely comfier than SUVs, but IMO aren’t exactly crosses, more like abridged versions.
Just wish Maruti continued with that stonker of 1.6 engine.
GreyNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:44   #42
BHPian

My parents own a Ford EcoSport Diesel and a Honda City Petrol MT, so this is quite literally asking me to choose between those two.

If I had to choose one and let the other go, it would be the EcoSport that stays. Not worrying about underbelly hits is a big weight off one's shoulders, especially on trips where roads aren't familiar.

The City is a great car with a great engine, but Indian roads can be a hit or miss and peace of mind takes precedence in this choice.
francisvellara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:47   #43
BHPian

Voted for sedans. Reason: Center of gravity matters.

I must admit that there's just one reason that might sway me towards an SUV in the future i.e. the go anywhere capability. I do a lot of long drives and have been to most places within 700 kms of Bangalore, multiple times. So, now there's this itch to conquer the North East, the North, and in the next 5 years even do a cross-country. For all this, I will require a proper SUV - my low-slung sedan won't help.

However, when it comes to performance, fun, and thrill of driving, my mind refuses to paint a picture of an SUV .
Ashish0485 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:54   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

An hardcore SUV guy for the past 2 decades, now converted totally into a sedan guy.

I love the low slung seating, the cocooned effect, better handling and better performance the sedan provides. I can put a sedan into a corner at speeds where a crossover would just roll over out of the corner.

Owning one of the largest C2 traditional SUVs, I find crossovers not very appealing. Why put up with unwanted Bodyroll?? I have lost my interests with SUVs in general.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 14th September 2020 at 13:56.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:56   #45
BHPian

IMHO, in India the non-negotiable requirements for driving is
  1. Reasonably high GC, because there is no road/highway in India that does not have potholes (sometime craters) and/or hill size speed breakers.
  2. Good and commanding visibility because you never know when someone will jump in front of the car in otherwise an almost empty road, so one has to have a clear and wide vision of all sides
  3. High GC and aggressive look gives some kind of psychological barrier to 2/3 wheeler, mini tempo drivers, truck and roadways buses to molest your vehicle, although some of them will still do even if you're driving a tank!
  4. Last but not the least, high GC and suitably placed air-intake can save one's soul during monsoon, when most of India becomes a floating state.

Although these are typically true SUV feature, still crossovers such as Duster can swim through water where most sedans will duck under. The most commonly quoted feature of better drive ability of sedans and faster pick up does not make much sense in reality, because probably in 10 out of 100 occasions, one can safely drive at 3 digit numbers without running risk of hitting a stray goat on the highway (and pay a fortune to the locals as compensation) or getting hit by a tractor (which mostly favors driving in wrong lane).

So for safe and hassle free driving sake, speed and acceleration should best be avoided in India. Hence crossovers rock

Last edited by ampere : 14th September 2020 at 14:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks