Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2020, 21:03   #31
BHPian

re: Name a car that generated a lot of hype, but ended up being a sales dud

Quite recently Rapid tsi created lot of noise and got tons of attention everywhere including tbhp. But sales numbers aren’t great and Skoda already started discounts.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 21:21   #32
BHPian

Here's my list below and the top ones are definitely going to be Tatas as every new Tata is hyped wayy too much by the youtubers and Tata fans on the internet!

1. Tata Nano- Hyped for all the wrong reasons!

2. Tata JTP Twins- Who can forget all those teasers and comparisons done with rivals?? And being a Tata, they were very much hyped on the internet! Result?? Let's not even talk about it!

3. Tata Harrier- Another Tata and probably the second most hyped one! Of course the Harrier is doing decent numbers for past two months, but the Hector continues to show us the potential of the segment, and that is when you realize that the Harrier still lacks a lot! And ohh wait.....did I forget to talk that they literally made a huge AF Tata Harrier hoarding on the Mumbai-Pune expressway in order to show the Harrier's supremacy over the Compass?? No?? The sales figures do not reflect that either!

4. Tata Safari Storme- A lot of mainstream media houses were and are big fans of the Storme and continue to place it above the Scorpio even today. A major chunk of internet users said that the Storme was just what was required to kill the Scorpio. Result?? The Scorpio's sales figures literally smashed the Storme under its tyres!

5. Tata Hexa- Basically just a beautified Aria, the Hexa was waayyy too much hyped by Tata itself! Comfort better than Innova, releasing ads while trolling other similarly priced SUVs (Anyone remembers those- "Takes you anywhere, no Compass required" ads??)

6. Mahindra XUV3OO- Not exactly a dud seller, but sold in wayy lesser numbers than the general trend for the segment!

7. Skoda Octavia vRS 245- Referring to the forum where fellow BHPians claimed they got calls from Skoda dealers regarding the vRS!

8. Mahindra Marazzo- This was probably the most hyped modern Mahindra after the XUV3OO! And due to the company's stepson behaviour towards the Marazzo, it eventually failed and is dying a slow death!
theAutomaniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 00:13   #33
BHPian

PAL Peugeot 309. This one is one of those childhood memories that you hate but can't get out of your head.
Name a car that generated a lot of hype, but ended up being a sales dud-images-20200915t235833.811.jpeg

My father took me along for the first time to check a car and it was the first car that I ever saw and checked out in a showroom, I was 8 and could I still remember that day, new car smell, crawling up to the massive rear parcel tray. My father booked it. I was beyond excited. I even put up it's posters around my room which came along with official brochure after booking the car. Later my father had to cancel the booking because they failed to deliver the car even after like an year. And, bought a TATA Sumo.

I still search olx sometimes trying to find one and one time I did find one but, it was in an abysmal condition and the seller was selling it as an 'import' with asking price of 3L.
wrongturn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 00:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Fiat Uno it has to be. The car holds the record for highest number of bookings till date(about 3lac) in India. However they could only sell few hundreds in first few months due to production issues, sadly most users ended up cancelling their bookings.

Attachment 2055562
The car was a very good car but quite outdated in the looks department.Many of the customers who had booked the car did not get their refund of the booking amount .It also came with the acronym "F.I.R.E " meaning fully integrated robotised engine.

Maruti 1000 was also a very hyped car .It had the 1000cc Gypsy 410 engine .This was quite an underpowered car and afterwards, Maruti Udyog had to upgrade the engine to 1300 cc .
whitecloud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 01:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Mahindra Marazzo is one example falling in this category.
  • Right spend on ads across various channels
Marketing was a big failure on Mahindra's part. The masses don't even know if such a car exists. I have seen people looking at my car in the parking lot, wondering which car it is and try reading the label behind. If i had i de-badged the car ( which i am planning to ) they would not be able to figure out.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 02:01   #36
BHPian

How ironic is that I had been thinking just about this along my long drive yesterday.

My top answer would just be the car I own, The Tata Nano. And also for the wrong reasons.

Name a car that generated a lot of hype, but ended up being a sales dud-img_1433.jpg

I owned the first generation (2010-2015) and currently own the 2nd Gen (Nano XT GenX). The second gen one was also my first own car. The first gens engine noise and the cheap-car marketing were a put off. The second gen is such a better product but times had already changed. The best seller these days are 8 lakh rupee cars and second or third best are 15 lakh rupee cars. There wouldn't be much difference in EMI if I buy Kwid versus a Nano as well. So things just went wrong though I wouldn't blame the product. It does what it is supposed to do very, very well.

Let's see how long I keep this one. But other than the Nano, my memory gives me images of Fiat Uno, Suzuki Kizashi and Quanto.
freakmuzik is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 06:50   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Name a car that generated a lot of hype, but ended up being a sales dud

From back in the day, the Daewoo Matiz would qualify. Where the Hyundai Santro was all ugly, the Matiz was a beauty. But unlike Hyundai which localised the Santro heavily, the Matiz had high import content. Daewoo priced it astronomically for a hatchback and offered it only in the higher trims initially IIRC. End result, a car with so much hype flopped.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 08:21   #38
BHPian

Greetings,

According to me it is the Maruti Suzuki Zen Classic.

Thanks.

Image Source: Google/Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
Name a car that generated a lot of hype, but ended up being a sales dud-779bf80e95344401911298d0ef9ff016.jpeg  

adv.yzr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 09:56   #39
BHPian

Agree with many of the names suggested here.

I would like to add the Zen Estillo. It was marketed as the successor of the Zen and a more trendier version of the practical Wagon-R. However, the final product especially the first version with the odd-ball grills completely failed to garner any positive vibes. They later changed the grill to look more like the Wagon-R and offered massive discounts in the stores to get them off the racks.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:13   #40
Team-BHP Support

An immediate candidate that came into mind is the Ford Fiesta. Back in 2011 the New Fiesta thread was a massive one with huge amount of hype and anticipation – only to fizzle out once the price was announced; the decline was quite steep and the it never recovered from that fall!
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:29   #41
BHPian

Nissan Sunny
How many of you remember the advertisement
“It’s not a car. It’s a Caaaaaaaaar.
Vasanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:39   #42
BHPian

San Storm - nice concept (the only convertible) made in India.
Sipani Badal - name to fame in the movie Ram Balram
Sipani Dolphin - a juggard done by Maruti parts bin
Standard 2000
To name a few.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:51   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think the second gen Ford Figo and it's compact sedan version deserves a mention here

Despite being good products, they didn't sell as good as their previous generation.
I think the reason was their incorrect attempt at trying to be more like Maruti Suzuki in terms of their product packaging and experience, hence moving away from their USPs like solid built, hydraulic steering, value for money etc.

They're still good cars but I think the market never really looked at them again seriously after they lost what made them unique.

We had a Gen 1 Ford Figo in our house. One of the best cars We ever owned, everyone who drove it, even if just for a day, loved it.
Himanshu809 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:52   #44
BHPian

Hyundai Aura ! - a good interior but a horrendous exterior
Asmt_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:56   #45

My pick is Chevrolet SRV. 1.6ltr petrol engine producing 101 BHP & 140 Nm torque. The car came in 2006 with all hype which I feel was fully justified considering the other mundane drives on the road. I think the problem was people were not ready to pay the premium car was asking for. Consumers were more keen on having large sedan and not ready to pay premium for performance oriented car.
Attached Thumbnails
Name a car that generated a lot of hype, but ended up being a sales dud-chevroletsrv.jpg  

yrwagh is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed