Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone

300K units in 54 months. That's ~5550 units / month. (May be including export).
Still, 5K units per month on an average is pretty good number.

Tata is doing pretty good on most of the recent launches. All the best Tata !!!
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:47   #17
BHPian

Is that 'Tiago Dark edition' behind the blue Tiago? Looks darker than the regular Daytona Grey Tiago.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-image-32.jpg  

Deepsp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:39   #18
BHPian

Three years back, Tiago was the car that took us into a Tata showroom.

Now, we have 4 new gen Tata cars in our family (2 Tiago, 1 Altroz and 1 Nexon) .

As mentioned by fellow members, this is what a good product can do to a company. Like us, Tiago was able to bring in many new customers for TaMo.

Kudos to Tata Motors
Sudarshan_N is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:14   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiago is my first car. I purchased the XZA 2 years ago. What i absolutely love about this little car is the music system and the ride quality. The ride quality is the best in class . The engine is decent for city , however just about adequate for highways.

The recent 4 Star safety reassures me of my choice.
sagarpadaki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:59   #20
AZT
BHPian

Did a quick analysis from the Aug 2020 sales thread in the B1 segment and Tiago has gone from 13% market share in in Aug-19 to 21% market share in Aug-20. Jan and Feb saw a drop in sales, but apart from that growth has been good and Tata definitely has a winner on their hands.

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-tiago-market-share.jpg
AZT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:50   #21
BHPian

Very very happy to see this.

All the efforts taken by TATA to revamp themselves from the Indica days are finally paying off.

Hope cars like Tiago, Nexon, Altroz & Harrier make their own space in their particular segments, let the market share increase further, which also indicates the change of Kitna Deti Hei mindset to "Kitna Safety Deti Hei"
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:50   #22
BHPian

Re: Tata rolls out 3,00,000th Tiago from Sanand plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

On a lighter note - there is a key improvement area just behind the car in the photo. Its marked by a board reading "QUALITY GATE".
The gate is there, no doubt.. I just hope that it's not there just for show or to be part of the aesthetic

Just in jest
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:00   #23
BHPian

What a feat from Tata, this!

Absolutely loved the little Tiago as my first car that I nervously picked 3 years back as my steed against popular opinion. In these three years, whoever has driven in my car for the first time has invariably lauded me for the choice against the default Swift. The suspension, build, safety and the features of this little car have surprised many, and I have personally seen atleast 5 people get the car after experiencing mine.

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-img_20200802_135331__01-cropped.jpg

After 3 years of pure joy and (some) niggles, I had to sadly let go of the car because of my increased highway runs, where the humble 1.2 litre 3 pot unfailingly used to run short of breath with full load. Also, the lack of cabin refinement used to take a toll on my OCD infested brain. However, got a fair price from a gentleman who is equally happy to have got her in a BHP-level maintained condition.

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-img_20200731_130306__01__01.jpg

What replaced the humble Tiago is a 2020 VW Vento with that stonker of an engine! Will try to pen down an ownership review of the new steed soon.

Last edited by SuvidC : 24th September 2020 at 13:07.
SuvidC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:25   #24
BHPian

I got my Team-BHP membership approved on my third attempt. Below is what I filled up when I asked to write about a car on my third attempt.

Quote:

The Legend Of Tiago

A couple of decades back, there was an Indian automobile manufacturer who quivered the market with
an indigenous car Tata Indica. Tata used to be synonym for Trust. Result: When they introduced Indica
in 1998, it managed to grab a whopping 115,000 bookings within a week!

Over the years, Tata started losing its ground. Market share saw a steep decline from 15% to 4%. The
perception started to change. Once what was considered to be one of the most trustworthy brand no
more symbolized the same. The image of Indica brought more negative vibes than positive on people's
mind. Things weren’t going right when Nano, which got marketed as the cheapest car started hurting
the brand equity.

How to regain the lost trust? A mammoth task lied ahead of Tata. They tried their luck with Zest and
Bolt. Despite the cars being decent and first in class for many a features like driving modes, it failed to
draw customers to the showrooms. What could be the reason? In my personal opinion, if one has to
rebuild the brand image and lost trust, they should start from the lower segment. Not many can afford
to gamble with 7L or 10L while purchasing their drive. And for many, this could be their first!

As part of Horizonext strategy of Karl Slym "The Britisher who just can’t stay away from India", Tata
worked on a city car which will appeal most of the first-time buyer middle class along with upper class
who are looking for a second car. The growing affluence among the middle class made them the perfect
segment to target!

The Indian middle class always braced the cars that provided above average mileage, resale value and
incurred less maintenance cost. Surprisingly, safety was least of the concern for the market. Keeping this
in mind, Tata worked towards something that delivered the above three qualities which didn’t
compromise on the safety front.

The result – a chic-looking product! A mass market car. They named it Zica, short for "Zippy Car". I prefer
its internal code name "Kite" would have carried a lot of meaning and emotions. A symbol that conveys
“flies high above all".

The advent of the Zika virus made Tata skeptical and they changed the name to Tiago! Finally, after all
the setbacks and delays, Tata finally launched its value for money car in April 2016 with an ex-Delhi price
of 3.20 - 5.54 lakhs.

Tiago in its own is such a brilliance that one can't ignore. With solid build, high quality well designed
interiors and an excellent ride comfort, it attracted people to the showrooms. This was the x-factor Tata
seemed to miss. People were astounded over its build quality. Even during mishaps, the car stood its

ground and showed true grit. Survivors themselves became the testimonials. Word of mouth publicity
worked well for Tiago.

Gradually, Tata started reclaiming its brand image. It was definitely in the road to a comeback. Market
share rose from 4.5% to 6.5%. The brand now has design and styling, VFM and safety as its USP. Thanks
to Tiago and Nexon.

As of now, 2.1 lacks Tiago has been sold across India and still going strong. Long Live Legend!
Happy to see the 3 Lakh milestone achievement.
K_Drive is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:44   #25
BHPian

TAMO has really made a great turnaround, yes there have been a few misses, but the Hits have ensured their success. They are on track to create a story that would probably be taught in Mgmt schools someday. I really wish that our Homegrown labels go on to become truly Global players in the coming years. The good part of the Tiagos success is that Tata stuck to the build and ride quality, safety features of the car while providing a great VFM package.
Old 24th September 2020, 14:53   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata deserves this success.

The tiago, specially in its latest Avatar is among the best looking cars in its segment. It is also built well, has a 4* GNCAP rating up on its sleeve, it is spacious enough for 4 big guys, and has adequate features (almost every thing we need), the interior quality is also good.

Their Achilles heel is the weak powertrain. The 1.2 liter 3 cylinder petrol might be fuel efficient, but lacks refinement and the performance is adequate inside the city, but leaves us wanting on the highway. If Tata can learn anything from Hyundai, they need to plonk a 100+ps turbo petrol like Hyundai did in the i10 NIOS.

But for someone on a budget, and doesn't care about outright performance, the little Tiago is an excellent choice.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th September 2020 at 14:58.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:54   #27
BHPian

Tiago is one heck of an option for a first car purchase. Having test driven it in its initial year, I was floored by the offering and features considering its price and was looking to purchase it as my first car. Tata Motors at that point of time faced a strong stigma with respect to brand image and quality issues and I had to back down from the Tiago purchase due to strong opposition from family and went ahead with a Figo. However, I made it up by convincing a friend to purchase the Tigor as opposed to Swift which was his initial choice.

Tata has only gone from strength to strength since then and it feels great to have an Indian manufacturer produce such quality offerings. Hopefully Tata does sort out its beta launches by the time I purchase my next car
Old 24th September 2020, 15:26   #28
BHPian

Defnitely a great VFM package. All-rounder for the budget hatchbacks. Tata motors are in a way pioneers in bring good technology on cheaper cars. The chassis, braking and ride settings in Tiago makes it a much safer car, sometimes better that some higher segment cars.

It goes to show, if a good product is made taking customer feedback well then defnitely there are buyers.

Hope TaMo makes much better cars, provides better service .. Congrats TaMo
Old 24th September 2020, 16:05   #29

I still remember the day, when the question “which car” arrived in my mind in early 2019. I colleague of mine is an ardent Tata follower ( he owned a Nano, Zest and Tiago) recommended Tiago to me. The first thing that came to my mind after hearing a Tata car was “Indica!”.

Cut back to now, I own a Type 1 Tiago XZ+ and happily munching miles
hashbro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:49   #30
BHPian

Congratulations to Tata for achieving this milestone.
This Tiago facelift was spotted testing on the way to Mulshi. (apologize for the blurred image).
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-screenshot_20200924164654825_com.miui.gallery.jpg  

adi.mariner is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks