Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd September 2020, 12:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone

Tata Motors has reached a new production milestone. The 3,00,000th Tiago has rolled off the assembly line in Sanand, Gujarat.

The Tiago was launched in 2016 and it became the highest selling Tata hatchback in the country in August 2018. The BS6 version was introduced earlier this year.

The Tiago is now offered a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produces 85 BHP and 113 Nm. It is paired with either a 5-speed manual or 5-speed automated manual transmission (AMT). The car no longer gets a diesel engine option.

The updated Tiago gets a redesigned front fascia featuring a more sharper look based on Tata's Impact 2.0 design philosophy. The car has also been awarded a 4-star safety rating by Global NCAP. It comes equipped with dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Corner Stability Control and Rear Parking Assist.

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-image-2.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd September 2020 at 14:39. Reason: Edited. Thanks.
blackwasp is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Tiago & Tigor facelift launched at Rs 4.6 lakh & 5.75 lakh

Tata Tiago facelift clay model, shared by Pratap Bose

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-20200922_133215.jpg

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-20200922_133217.jpg

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-20200922_133221.jpg

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-20200922_133224.jpg

https://twitter.com/BosePratap/statu...322249734?s=19
Venkatesh is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata rolls out 3,00,000th Tiago from Sanand plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Tata Motors has reached a new production milestone. The 3,00,000th Tiago has rolled off the assembly line in Sanand, Gujarat.
Quite a success story & revolution of sorts for Tata this car. In all likely-hood it saved Tata from insignificance in the PV segment. A shift from yellow plates to well received family/personal car for the brand. Something that people own with a bit of pride too!

After a rather inauspicious start with ZICA name - the quick turn around with Tiago has been a pleasant sight. Having 2 of them in close family + 2 Tigors in the same circle, I have experienced the car a lot & is a quite well rounded out package for most consumers. Facelift looks really smart too. A great improvement on the first generation without doubt (which can't be categorically said about the Nexon for example!).

On a lighter note - there is a key improvement area just behind the car in the photo. Its marked by a board reading "QUALITY GATE".
Please bring back the JTP avatar in some form or the other Tata. Please. I mean we have i10s doing pocket rocket duties now for crying out loud!

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd September 2020 at 15:58.
Reinhard is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:02   #4
BHPian

Default Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone

The Tata Tiago hatchback has just crossed a new production milestone, with the 3,00,000th Tiago rolling off the line at Tata’s Sanand facility in Gujarat. Tata has achieved this milestone just four years after first launching the Tiago.

Name:  423.jpg
Views: 10853
Size:  17.8 KB

Quote:
Launched back in 2016, it was Tata’s offering in the mid-range hatchback segment, and technically a successor to the Indica. It was the first Tata product to use the carmaker’s ‘Impact Design’ philosophy and was also the first of a new generation of Tata offerings in our market.

Earlier this year, the Tata Tiago facelift was launched with significant cosmetic changes as well as some key updates to its features list.

Tata Motors also launched the Tiago JTP – a performance model with a 114hp, 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine, retuned suspension and sportier looks, but the model was not upgraded for BS6, and shortly after, the entire JTP project was closed down.

The facelifted Tata Tiago comes with a sole 1.2-litre, three-cylinder petrol engine which produces 85hp and 114Nm of torque. The hatchback can be had with either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed AMT automatic gearbox.

The previously available 1.05-litre diesel engine option was dropped from the line-up with the facelift. It is also worth mentioning that in the transition to BS6, the petrol-manual Tiago’s ARAI claimed fuel economy has dropped by almost 4kpl when compared to its BS4 counterpart.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...lestone-418677

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 22nd September 2020 at 18:14.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:27   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone

Kudos to Tata Motors for achieving this milestone in a span of just under 5 years. This equates to approximately 5000 Tiagos sold on an average each month.

Why I feel this achievement is laudable is because the Tiago is based on the Vista platform which is now more than 10 years old. Still Tata has achieved this feat in the face of stiff competition in the form of heavyweights from Maruti and Hyundai I.e. Celerio, Wagon R, Swift( to some extent) and the Grand i10.

The Tiago has been a regular in the top 10 best sellers list almost every month since its launch. One of the biggest grouse with the Tiago twins has always been the anemic petrol and diesel engines which though looked adequate on paper were never able to do justice to the chassis of the car. And speaking about the chassis how can we forget that Tata managed to score a 4 star NCAP rating with such an age old platform which its modern competitors can only dream of.

The biggest blemish on the Tiago twins innings has to be the JTP fiasco what with the indian enthusiasts giving it a cold shoulder and the subsequent closure of the Tata - JTP partnership.

I sincerely hope that Tata manages to take this wonderful run of the Tiago to the next level with the next gen Tiago which will be based on the ALFA platform. All the best to Tata Motors.
ram87pune is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Tiago is based on the Vista platform which is now more than 10 years old.
I don't think it is. From what I have heard/read - Tiago is infact based on a highly modified platform of the Indica. So theoretically another decade old, but the modifications are enough to call it a new generation altogether.

The Vista's X1 spawned Manza, Zest, Bolt & also one of their most successful recent offerings - Nexon with high safety rating as a cherry on the top.
Reinhard is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:13   #7
BHPian

This milestone is definitely a special one. Considering it's the one that started it all for Tata. New design language (without which I would have never considered a Tata product), departing from that overdose of Indica.

Add the 4 star rating to the mix, and it's an ideal car for a family as a first car, which would also keep them safe. The JTP too was present to give the right foot friendly ones some fun. Sadly, our market didn't appreciate Tata's and the JTP team's effort.

Enjoy this well deserved milestone Tata

Hope to see the Altroz and Nexon too achieve such milestones soon.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:50   #8
BHPian

Tiago would have been my first car! I spent months researching and following this car. Booked the car on the same day as the launch but couldn't take delivery as I was away from home for more than 2 years. In the meantime, I had convinced 3 of my friends to buy Tiago. All of them are still happy with the car!

One of my friend was hell bent on buying Maruti Swift. I made him take a test drive of Swift and Tiago back to back and his image about Tata car changed immediately after driving Tiago, it wasn't fast but it was so feature rich compared to the barebone Swift! He booked and took the delivery of Tiago post that test drive.

I am happy that Tiago is performing decently and it definitely helped people change their perception about Tata cars!
prasathlr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 00:00   #9
BHPian

Way to go TATA. Being an owner of Tiago for the past 3 years, I can confidently say this car was really the most value for money car back then. Moreover, this was the cheapest car ownership that I ever had. And I doubt if I could ever have such hassle free initial ownership ever on any other car.

No matter whatever Tata deleted from this car, it was still the best built / strong car in that segment. This would make a perfect first time car. The setbacks for the experienced drivers shall be the not rev friendly engine and the neutral handling. But it is not bad by any means. This little car turns the tables for Tata undoubtedly.

I hope they cross the half million mark soon.
igemini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to Tata.

This is a great validation of their turnaround strategy. After years of model lines exhausting themselves and falling over dead, the Tiago has been the opposite, slowly and steadily strengthening the case for itself and standing on its own merits. I see plenty of people automatically considering the Tiago as their first choice, instead of the last choice.

Looking at the 300,000th Tiago rolling out of Sanand, it is also good to see that plant being put to good use.

One of the great What Ifs is what if Tata had actually been able to go ahead with Singur and Nano. Would Nano have been a success? Maybe saved Tata from floundering around for a couple of years? Who knows.

Sadly, while Sanand grew, Singur lies the same as before. The piece of land is barren and barricaded. Neither did a factory come out of it, nor has anyone grown crops since then.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:56   #11
BHPian

Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-image_2_1200x768.jpeg

Source: https://www.indiatoday.in/auto/cars/...318-2020-09-22
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 06:18   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats to the little Tiago! The design, build, interior quality, features & ICE really did well for the car. To celebrate, Tata should bring a better, upgraded engine option .

The Tiago, Nexon & Hexa launches were neatly executed. Even the way in which the name was changed from "Zica" to "Tiago" was handled properly. Tata needs to get back to whatever formula they used in those days (Harrier launch was royally botched up).
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Tiago facelift clay model, shared by Pratap Bose

https://twitter.com/BosePratap/statu...322249734?s=19
Hi, don't think Pratap Bose mentions about facelift in this tweet of his. He's referring to drawing>clay model>production>milestone stage of Tiago with the set of pictures.

Nonetheless, reasons enough for TATA and us to celebrate We need competition to Top 2s, with quality, globally benchmarked products.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago crosses 3 lakh unit production milestone-screenshot_20200923_074319.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel_Drives : 23rd September 2020 at 07:54.
Diesel_Drives is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:14   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post
Hi, don't think Pratap Bose mentions about facelift in this tweet of his. He's referring to drawing>clay model>production>milestone stage of Tiago with the set of pictures.

Nonetheless, reasons enough for TATA and us to celebrate We need competition to Top 2s, with quality, globally benchmarked products.
Pratap Bose seems to be a very sensible guy. He is leading the the design team & Tata in the right direction. The designs of Tiago,Altroz & nexon are appealing enough to masses & it is showing in the sales numbers. The Hornbill also looks promising . They seem to be miles away from the Indica,vista & the bolt days now. With the right engines they should be in a position to take the top 2 head on !
motor spirit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this is a great achievement. Tata has been making progress in the right direction after more than a decade of lull. All their cars now have the desirability factor.

My only wish is that Tata does better quality control - my friends Tiago had an AC compressor replaced under warranty at 900km. He's had no issues after that though.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed