Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2023, 12:05   #256
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh

[quote=hanzt;5491896]As per the Urban Cruiser Toyota manual, we are not supposed to use E20 Blended Ethanol fuel. So this new announcement on launch of E20 Fuel and phasing out of older fuels by 2025 has me worried.
Has anyone spoken with any Toyota dealership or service center to check on:
- is it safe of use E20 on UC?
- Will it void the warranty since the manual states not to use it?
- what modifications can be done to ensure the E20 fuel does not cause any long term damage ?

I am also having the same confusion fro my 2022 BS6 urban Cruiser, but seeing the number(Millions) of vehicles that run on E10 petrol I doubt it will be replaced by E20 petrol I guess its only for new BS6 2023 Manufactured vehicles to comply to Use E20 petrol. for now do not worry for at least another 5 years.
Both E10 and E20 will co exist. I thought using E20 will reduce petrol price, nope it is used to increase the profits for Govt. run oil companies/refineries and not pass the benefits to the the end users.
MotoDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 15:38   #257
BHPian

One of my annoyances with the Urban Cruiser is that the car doesn't feel planted at a velocity of 110 or above. The car is fun to drive and the petrol engine gets you to triple digit speeds, but the drive is not confidence inspiring. My reference is a XUV500 which feels very stable and planted at higher speeds. I assume this has to do with the suspension design of the car which makes it feel like a boat at higher velocities and it is not solvable by adding more weight to the car. I don't think this can be resolved by changing the tyres either.

Have other owners felt this way while driving at higher velocities? My friend tells me that is a general problem with all Suzuki products when you cross the 100kmph mark based on his experience with the Baleno.
Old 1st August 2023, 20:14   #258

Please suggest a Good brand for a reverse parking camera.
Old 24th August 2023, 16:30   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibworld View Post
Please suggest a Good brand for a reverse parking camera.
Go for Blaupunkt cameras, they are good.
MotoDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 10:32   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDrive View Post
I am also having the same confusion fro my 2022 BS6 urban Cruiser, but seeing the number(Millions) of vehicles that run on E10 petrol I doubt it will be replaced by E20 petrol I guess its only for new BS6 2023 Manufactured vehicles to comply to Use E20 petrol. for now do not worry for at least another 5 years.
Both E10 and E20 will co exist. I thought using E20 will reduce petrol price, nope it is used to increase the profits for Govt. run oil companies/refineries and not pass the benefits to the the end users.
Here is the official reply from Toyota for the UC - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...20-petrol.html (Toyota officially confirms that its earlier cars cannot be run on E20 petrol)
Old 30th August 2023, 18:56   #261

Hi All
I bought an Urban Cruiser at the end 0f 2021; to date, it is only a disappointment. Low mileage....9-10kmpl in city driving, max of 13.5kmpl on long drives with a top speed of 120kmph. The ride on patchy roads is very pathetic, with the vehicle getting tossed in all directions.

Frankly, the old TATA Indica or Maruti 800 exhibited more refined behaviour. Is there something major Suzuki messed up?? If so, why did Toyota start selling this in their brand without any modifications to correct the suspension issues?

I bought this for mainly city use, and it has reached a stage where I prefer to take a cab rather than drive it.

Are there any changes anyone has made for this or Brezza to get a better ride? I cannot accept the fact that it is not possible. ARC gave results to a few but never lasted in performance. So, any suggestions/advice on this issue??

Last edited by navin : 30th August 2023 at 19:04. Reason: Spelling and Grammar.
SANDEEPROY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 16:56   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDEEPROY View Post
Hi All
I bought an Urban Cruiser at the end 0f 2021; to date, it is only a disappointment. Low mileage....9-10kmpl in city driving, max of 13.5kmpl on long drives with a top speed of 120kmph.
I get around 9-10 on bumper-to-bumper traffic city roads. But the moment i go on the highways, i easily get around 15-20 mileage. But then again I dont exceed 100kmph speed as I read somewhere that the sweetspot is around 80kmph.
You can try this as an experiment next time on the highways, stick to 80-100 speed limit, and you will see the mileage jump
hanzt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 15:21   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzt View Post
I get around 9-10 on bumper-to-bumper traffic city roads. But the moment i go on the highways, i easily get around 15-20 mileage. But then again I dont exceed 100kmph speed as I read somewhere that the sweetspot is around 80kmph.
You can try this as an experiment next time on the highways, stick to 80-100 speed limit, and you will see the mileage jump
A small update, I just installed a silicon spring damper which looks like have given some results on the bouncy suspension. I plan to replace the stock springs to progressive ones, might hv to do some mounting modification, not finalised yet but researching, maybe the coils and the shocks together.

Any suggestions on the makes??
Old 14th February 2024, 22:28   #264

Bizarre Mosquito Presence Inside Taillight

I was cleaning my car, 2021 Toyota Urban Cruiser, the other day and noticed a mosquito seemingly stuck to the rear reversing light. I tried flicking it, only to realise it was not on the outside but on the inside of the light housing. It was a strange sight, so I brought a torch for further inspection, only to discover a pile of dead mosquitoes in the reverse light housing and the attached red taillight section, with many collected at the lower end. Here are the pictures.

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-uc1.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-uc2.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-uc3.jpg

Most of the mosquitoes are stuck in the inner crease between the reverse light and the taillight. There is no effect on light function, and most of the mosquitoes are visible if one looks hard and from close range.

It was a bizarre sight. I checked the light for any breaks or cracks from where the mosquitoes could enter but found none. I blew air at the taillight unit to see if it would move the dead mosquitoes inside, but they wouldn’t budge, indicating there was no gap as such. I never noticed any condensation. I clean the car once a week with a rinseless wash spray, so I would have noticed any water ingress or condensation. These mosquitoes were not there earlier, so being sealed at the factory is ruled out.

Now, it is not uncommon to have insects inside taillights and headlights, but these are incidents one may not usually associate with LED lights, which are single, sealed units. Even if we assume that these lights still have some open vents tiny enough for insects to enter, I have never heard or read of a group of mosquitoes all getting trapped in only a particular segment of the taillight.

Being an entomology student while graduating in zoology, I have never read of this behaviour among mosquitoes. Ants are usually the top candidates for entering spaces in hordes, primarily due to their burrowing nature and their social plus migratory nature. Ants can also be attracted to fragrances and substances, such as waxes, which is also the case with cockroaches. However, this is not the case with mosquitoes. Mosquitoes tend to get attracted to spaces where human presence is or was there. Attraction towards bright light is also ruled out since my driving happens to be limited to sunlight hours. Moreover, the section of the taillight that is infested is not something that turns on frequently. The brake light and indicators are on the other panel, and those are the ones that most frequently switch on.

To summarise, it is strange for mosquitoes to behave this way. One thing I have learned is that consider anything to be a potential pest.

Besides sharing this strange event, I thought of potential actions and wanted to know members’ opinions.

1. Claim warranty: Since LED lights must be sealed units, a warranty claim seems reasonable. But considering the strangeness of this incident, I can imagine a lot of head-scratching by the SA and the rest.
2. Open and clean: This may potentially be more harmful since it may ruin the water tightness of the light. Nevertheless, if there is a genuinely safe way to do it, I am open to considering it.
3. Leave it: After all, it is not impacting the light’s performance. Over time, the heat of the metal and sunlight will turn the insects into dust, which will be less noticeable.
r2212xx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 13:51   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

I see that the mosquitoes are inside the white part which houses the reversing lights. I think those are normal bulbs are not LED's. If they are normal bulbs, then they can be replaced. In which case, opening the bulb holder and blowing in compressed air through the holder space should eject the dead bugs out. Just check your user manual if it mentions the bulb type for reversing lamps as LED or a specific bulb type.

Maybe the reversing light compartment is not sealed and the bugs ended up in the LED enclosure underneath as well. Some shaking around and blowing with compressed air should take care of them as well.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th March 2024 at 13:52.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 21:35   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2212xx View Post
I was cleaning my car, 2021 Toyota Urban Cruiser, the other day and noticed a mosquito seemingly stuck to the rear reversing light. I tried flicking it, only to realise it was not on the outside but on the inside of the light housing. It was a strange sight, so I brought a torch for further inspection, only to discover a pile of dead mosquitoes in the reverse light housing and the attached red taillight section, with many collected at the lower end.

I checked the light for any breaks or cracks from where the mosquitoes could enter but found none. I blew air at the taillight unit to see if it would move the dead mosquitoes inside, but they wouldn’t budge, indicating there was no gap as such. I never noticed any condensation.

These mosquitoes were not there earlier, so being sealed at the factory is ruled out.

Even if we assume that these lights still have some open vents tiny enough for insects to enter, I have never heard or read of a group of mosquitoes all getting trapped in only a particular segment of the taillight.

Mosquitoes tend to get attracted to spaces where human presence is or was there.

To summarise, it is strange for mosquitoes to behave this way
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I see that the mosquitoes are inside the white part which houses the reversing lights. I think those are normal bulbs are not LED's. If they are normal bulbs, then they can be replaced. In which case, opening the bulb holder and blowing in compressed air through the holder space should eject the dead bugs out.
Correct. In the rear light cluster, the turn indicators & reversing lights are bulbs - not LEDs.

The mystery is how the mosquitoes got inside. Was the bulb and/or the holder loose, allowing them entry? Further, since this is the only clear section in the cluster, were they trying to get out from the boot or from inside the car, assuming that the mosquitoes got more active after dusk and tried to find a way out of the car and got fooled by the light coming out of the transparent section?

If they were present only the left (passenger) side, which is close to the fuel inlet, could they have been attracted by the ethanol content in the petrol? I have noticed an army of mosquitoes always congregating predominantly on the right rear wheel of my car, which is right below the fuel inlet....

Most Viewed