Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 07:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
Exactly. Nissan put lot more effort to make Terrano different from Duster. With Kicks they completely built a new outer shell (didn't copy Captur). Toyota is like - "I gave my badge guys, what else you want.".
And we know what happened to Terrano and Kicks even with that fantastic 1.3 Turbo petrol. Effort does not equal to success. Toyota has a legacy wasnt built in a day either. I dont think they are too serious about the Indian market to be honest.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 25th September 2020 at 07:26.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 07:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

Forgetting all else, the least Toyota could do was come up with a new bunch of colours that aren't available on the Brezza. But, do they care?

People will still buy thinking that it's a better built Brezza (as the salesmen are going to loudly proclaim) and queue up. Can't miss herd mentality in this country. Good for Toyota, gullible are we.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:04   #63
BHPian

I can't figure if the Indian customer is just plain gullible, to be buying "this", or the Glanza or the high premium they pay for the Innova or if Toyota is just lucky to have pulled off such a heist.

The Indian Govt should have just retorted with a photo of the UC during Toyota's recent public rants and it would have been a perfect mic drop moment for the GOI.

And seriously. With the Suzuki logo on the alloys and DDiS on the side in the promo pic just shows arrogance, not plain laziness. Speaking of effort, the only self made thing you'd find on the UC website is Ayushmann Khurrana.
Old 25th September 2020, 09:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Forgetting all else, the least Toyota could do was come up with a new bunch of colours that aren't available on the Brezza. But, do they care?

People will still buy thinking that it's a better built Brezza (as the salesmen are going to loudly proclaim) and queue up. Can't miss herd mentality in this country. Good for Toyota, gullible are we.
Sorry for being
But I had to post this due to 2 reasons:
1. Your avatar says that you are from Coimbatore
2. Portion of your post that I've highlighted in bold.

Last year, around Oct-Nov, I was visiting Coimbatore after nearly 3 decades. We hired a taxi (Xylo) to visit Parambikulam Tiger reserve for a day. The taxi driver was very rash in his driving, changing lanes without indication, flashing/honking to glory, bullying smaller vehicles on the road between Coimbatore-Pollachi-Sethumadai.
Now, me and my brother-in-law (who works for a major automotive OEM) were discussing cars since he was planning to sell his old Santro and buy something newer. Our discussion was full of topics on Baleno, Elite i20, Amaze, Swift, Ignis, Figo, Polo etc. their pros and cons etc.
Now after arriving at Parambikulam, the taxi driver advises us proudly: "Saar! I heard your conversation about buying a new car. Forget all these hatches. There is a new car from Toyota called Glanza. Completely new body and new Petrol engine from Toyota. Simply superb. I just helped my cousin in Chennai to buy one. He is super happy with it. Complete peace of mind due to Toyota reliability and brand. My other relative who bought the Baleno is not at all happy after seeing our Glanza".

Me and my brother-in-law were like
(Of course, we didn't say a word to the taxi driver in response. Some people just aren't ready for the truth)
srvm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:16   #65
BHPian

Well, Toyota says upcoming 'shared' products with MSIL will be more 'differentiated'. Wonder in what aspect though. And which product will be next on the list? Ciaz?

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...kly_newsletter
Old 25th September 2020, 09:46   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Also their firm legacy and clean track record has been marred n number of times, be it Takata scam, sticking acceleration pedals leading to fatal crashes etc (which were suppressed by PR else Toyota was heading into oblivion) and then we have Maruti.. well I don't want to say anything about that seeing that you are a customer and would feel hurt, but enough and more BHPians are awakening to its quality.
This is nothing about you and me. Please stick away from that. Yes I have a Toyota as well as Maruti in my garage. Think of the market in general. Toyota is a brand that has a high status in India, reasons which are well known to enthusiasts and common man alike. Their track record might have been marred at the global level, but ask a non enthusiast here about Takata or other recalls and they will brush it off and give you an example of how someones Innova has done X lakh kms and going strong. Thats how the market thinks. So, Toyota does have a good recognition at least in the Indian market(lets just think they have screwed up globally - doesnt matter here).

For Toyota alone, if they can sell 2000 units of the Brezza every month, with a slight margin of 70k per car, that is still 14cr per month with hardly any investment. Same way, the Baleno fetches them another 10-12cr in revenue and a good chunk of their total numbers. For Maruti, they will be able to dish out 4000 extra cars per month after which its Toyotas headache to sell them and they get their money as soon as the car is handed over to Toyota.

When it is a win win for either company, me and you can only spend all day ranting about how disappointing the whole mechanism is, how bad the Brezza may be, what not. End of the day someone else is making money out there. Which again, isnt easy for everyone to do with Renault Nissan being the perfect example. Neither had the brand recognition nor presence to be able to sustain their operations here even though they could do a better job in badge engineering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Me and my brother-in-law were like
(Of course, we didn't say a word to the taxi driver in response. Some people just aren't ready for the truth)

This is unfortunately true, and thats what is working for Toyota. My Dad's colleague who is an aerospace engineer could not believe the fact that his Glanza was the same Baleno with a different badge. He has told my dad that toyota quality is different. Hence during one of our visits to the dealership while buying the Crysta, I opened the bonnet of the Glanza and showed him the markings of Maruti Suzuki. Still his colleague believed that Toyota has used different quality parts. After that I stopped convincing

Last edited by audioholic : 25th September 2020 at 09:50.
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:22   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For Toyota alone, if they can sell 2000 units of the Brezza every month, with a slight margin of 70k per car, that is still 14cr per month with hardly any investment. Same way, the Baleno fetches them another 10-12cr in revenue and a good chunk of their total numbers. For Maruti, they will be able to dish out 4000 extra cars per month after which its Toyotas headache to sell them and they get their money as soon as the car is handed over to Toyota
Which is exactly what my original post was about, splitting brands with minimal effort and providing multiple sales channels is the next big thing, people I know have done that as well, be it restaurants, retail or showrooms.

I've also been among the first to say that the Glanza-Baleno effect will increase production output and revenue at the same time with negligible investment, if paper matters then this strategy is sound as long as one can convince the buyers that they're buying into 2 completely different experiences.

However, some part of me is aghast that this strategy is so sound and works so well. Companies collaborating can go only so far and above that threshold the R&D will become zero, monopolizing will become the norm and quality will get ever so diluted.

Last edited by dark.knight : 25th September 2020 at 10:24.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Sorry for being
But I had to post this due to 2 reasons:
1. Your avatar says that you are from Coimbatore
2. Portion of your post that I've highlighted in bold.

The taxi driver was very rash in his driving, changing lanes without indication, flashing/honking to glory, bullying smaller vehicles on the road between Coimbatore-Pollachi-Sethumadai.
That road is a real death trap. Has been so for many decades and now with the concrete road, I dread it. Used to work on wildlife conservation in the Anamalai Tiger Reserve for quite a while, so that route is as familiar as the back of my hand.

Regarding the Toyota "Urban Cruiser" (what a name!!), I'm sure of the claims of Toyota parts, Toyota build, Toyota reliability. It's part of the game.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:42   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

A friendly Toyota Sales executive shares these pics:

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-img20200925wa0003.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-img20200925wa0004.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-img20200925wa0005.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-img20200925wa0006.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-img20200925wa0007.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-img20200925wa0002.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-toyotaurbancruiser5.jpg.a93f413df8ff44a5d5a7a14f4225b307.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-toyotaurbancruiserinterior.jpg.da1c5bdf0ecc39d85382e9b4006130d1.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-toyotaurbancruiserinterior2.jpg.24fe05101bbabef903c0ea0304e4b299.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-toyotaurbancruiser2.jpg.360f9f9ca2b3c067a410b25a53921e95.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-toyotaurbancruiser3.jpg.fc90ba2c88578ba4649eb9dc72cd3883.jpeg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 25th September 2020 at 11:06.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:47   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
----

However, some part of me is aghast that this strategy is so sound and works so well. Companies collaborating can go only so far and above that threshold the R&D will become zero, monopolizing will become the norm and quality will get ever so diluted.
This strategic should be looked into in the Global perspective. We should be looking what is in this collaboration for India from 2022 onwards when the 'SUV' will hit the market.

Internationally the collaboration is hailed differently, in a positive note:

Link (Suzuki ACross could be a re-badged Toyota RAV4 SUV)

Link1 (Suzuki Swace could be a wagon based on the Corolla Estate)
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:56   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't mind recommending the MT to anyone looking for a safe and sensible option with peace of mind of Toyota servicing.
Is Toyota service better than Maruti ? I thought Toyota having lesser service centres than Maruti would be a disadvantage.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:01   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is Toyota service better than Maruti ? I thought Toyota having lesser service centres than Maruti would be a disadvantage.
It is not really their number of service centers that Viddy is referring to. Am sure it is to do with Toyota service in general which is far far better than Maruti service. They have considerably less fleecing mechanisms when you visit them for a routine service.

Maruti on the other hand rips you with their unwanted add ons and bloat that bill unless you are mindful of that.

Also, I would rate their service standards fee notches above Maruti any day.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th September 2020 at 11:05.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A friendly Toyota Sales executive shares these pics:
These seem to be taken from this video which was uploaded yesterday:

DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:27   #74
BHPian

Well, for the past few months I had been following the Urban Cruiser development with interest. The main reason is my Etios Liva GD is now 8 years old, it has got 97500 km on the odo and I need to change my car. My Liva is a lovely car, provided me absolutely hassle-free experience so far. Only things I needed to change during this almost 1 lakh kilometre journey were: brake pads at 80,000 km, front suspension shock absorbers at 90,000 km, fuel filter at 50,000 km. Tyres replaced at 50,000 km and 90,000 km and battery replaced every four years. Also, I needed to change front indicator lamp once, the left headlight once and the left side rear light assembly once. That's about all.

Serviced the car regularly at 10,000 km interval and the widely disrespected car from Toyota still runs like new.

Now that I have decided to change my car, I am looking at Urban Cruiser definitely. I might have gone with the Sonet, but unfortunately all that I now need in a new car is going a bit expensive. For example, I would prefer alloy wheels but sunroof is not a necessity for me. There's no Sonet trim like this and I feel that's stupid.

The high variant of the Urban Cruiser MT makes a lot of sense to me than the HTK trim. The top variant ticks all boxes at a fair price point. About A.S.S of Toyota I have nothing to say. Never ever had any problems. My only concern is, if Toyota shuts shop and leaves India, what happens?

Nothing actually, as UC (and Glanza) can always be serviced by Maruti.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th September 2020 at 19:21. Reason: Spaced out the post for better readability.
subratasenn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:46   #75
BHPian

I should say I like the new front bumper on Brezza (Sorry "Urban Cruiser"). Toyota should have given same treatment at back as well. Just few cosmetic changes inside like leather seats, different touch screen and leather wrapped steering would have given better results.

Even though it is a lame effort from Toyota, it will bring them volumes and increase income of existing service centers. Expect Toyota I don't think anyone benefitting from this vehicle. Maybe few customers will be happy with Toyota after sales experience.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed