Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 12:09   #76
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh

Sad to see the kind of apathy World's largest Automobile manufacturer has for India.
While most of the points have been covered by other forum members, i am curious on their attitude -

- India is said to be one of the Largest automobile market in the world and with growing economy & Urban / Young population. Hasn't anyone from Toyota headquarters ever visited India or interacted with Dealers and supplier?

- Even if no one has visited India Market, don't these guys have access to voluminous analyst reports and market reports from Gartner etc. on the market size, potential, growth and what products work?

- I am not sure, but has Toyota tried to make a product for India? I am sure that, as is the case with other manufacturers - they can definitely market the same products to ASEAN & Latin American countries.

- Most of the investments (not only in automobile but other sectors too) are always done with some long term view and initial plan that xx% sales, xx% market share, xx% localization needs to be done for product to succeed - are they not doing it? Even manufacturing setup, land acquisition, recruitment for plants etc. is done post detailed study of market.

I am not sure how Toyota can think on doing business in India without thinking on these points and others
Turbo_anup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:14   #77
BHPian

It is only we enthusiasts who are aghast with these kind of strategies. I guess enthusiasts form just about 10% of car owners.

Toyota will care a damn about what we feel. Their target is the other 90% who will happily buy the Urban Cruiser. A Brezza with a Toyota badge is mouth watering .

Do not be surprised if this beats the other sub 4 meter SUVs in the coming months.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:19   #78
BHPian

The high variant of the Urban Cruiser MT makes a lot of sense to me than the HTK trim. The top variant ticks all boxes at a fair price point.
About A.S.S of Toyota I have nothing to say. Never ever had any problems.
My only concern is, if Toyota shuts shop and leaves India, what happens?
Nothing actually, as UC (and Glanza) can always be serviced by Maruti. [/quote]

All the best - would you not look at Brezza at an lower cost & essentially the same car, equally if not better service?
pk1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 19:10   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Well, for the past few months I had been following the Urban Cruiser development with interest. The main reason is my Etios Liva GD is now 8 years old, it has got 97500 km on the odo and I need to change my car.
Liva was a Pure Toyota, so it will be reliable and cheap to maintain.
But Urban Cruiser is a Suzuki - are you expecting same reliability and ownership experience from a Suzuki product?

Last edited by Sheel : 25th September 2020 at 19:18. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 25th September 2020, 19:32   #80
BHPian

I look at Toyotas global offerings. And then I look at what they're offering us here. That too in 2020...Bodge engineering!!! No Corolla on sale, their only "Made For India" offering Etios is now out of production and well apart from the Innova or the Fortuner, everything else is just meh. On top of this they blame the Govt for additional duties and all that jazz. I fail to understand how the so called "World No.1" has failed to take on our market. Makes us appreciate offerings from Hyundai, Kia, Skoda even more. Look at those sweet 1.0L turbos doing their duties already!

From:No more boring Toyotas, to no more (new) Toyotas (in India) they surely have come a long way!
coolmel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 22:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
But Urban Cruiser is a Suzuki - are you expecting same reliability and ownership experience from a Suzuki product?
Maruti Suzuki products are generally reliable and offer trouble free ownership experience for the users, there is no doubt about it. Their mechanics are generally correct with tried and tested engine and gearbox options.
In my experience my Hyundai i20 in 5 years gave more issues than combined years of 4 Maruti 2 Honda cars in the family which included leaving me stranded 2 times in the middle of road
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 23:09   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Not really. But but for just Rs 5000/- more I get a better warranty advantage. And adding another Rs 20,000/- another two years.
My experience with Toyota so far: maintenance is clean, professional and cheap.
At the most what will happen? After five years I'll be paying the same charge as I had to pay with Maruti. Fair enough.

I am 57 now, so this will be my penultimate car. The next car, in all probability, will be my last car. So, I have to be cautious.
subratasenn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 01:24   #83
BHPian

I think Toyota have received more bashing in this thread than the other thread covering the taxation comment

So they went to Suzuki Mega mart and picked one of their hot selling items to put on their own store shelf. But come to think of it, is it really such a cardinal sin?

I honestly do not understand how this is worse than Renault bringing in the Dacia Duster and calling it the Renault Duster or basing the Indian Captur on the Duster unlike other markets. Or for that matter, Volkswagen still continuing with the older generation Polo in India while introducing the 6th gen in 2016 and keeping innovative products like the Up out of our reach. These are just a few examples I can think of right now.

Atleast Toyota have got their math right. We can bash them as much as we like, but they'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Or one could argue the company is being run by accountants these days
Romeo_Mike is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:18   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser reaches dealerships.

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-urbancruisergaadiwaadi11068x718.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:35   #85
BHPian

IMO,It is surely a welcome change on a Brezza.
It is more like,after a long time you give a good product a better look to bring that excitement in a prospective customer.Along with it, add a superior customer support & service .
Old 29th September 2020, 10:52   #86
BHPian

The front looks way better than the boring Brezza. I'm confident that a lot of people will buy this in white despite its shortcomings.
evoker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 15:14   #87
BHPian

So the tin-foil (No offence to anyone) has now been presented in a different avatar. Just to put this new Maruti-Toyota strategy in perspective, in Aug'20 Maruti sold over 11000 Baleno's and Toyota managed to sell mere 1500 odd Glanza's so what different will be the strategy here? Lure customer's with Toyota badging whereas other stuff in the car still remains the same?

Except for "We don't want you taxes" Toyota needs to make some whole-hearted attempts in winning the customers on their side. Look how Kia is going all guns blazing!! Amazing response to the feature packed Seltos and now Sonet. Customers are literally thronging their showrooms on weekends with each dealer carrying handsome bookings.

Think Toyota Think!!
NAVREVV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 00:56   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
Amazing response to the feature packed Seltos and now Sonet. Customers are literally thronging their showrooms on weekends with each dealer carrying handsome bookings.

Think Toyota Think!!
Please wait for long term user experiences for the Sonet, Venue, Nexon, etc. Tata motors service stations are not very famous for their customer oriented services.
Features of Sonet and Venue need to be working in long term under Indian conditions. I could see many videos complaining dust and mud in the sunroof joint areas (mostly due to bad upkeep of the cars) in Venue.
So many features (electronics) need to perform for 5-8 years, even longer; in order to fetch good value in resale as well (Maruti-Suzuki is a preferred brand in resale, and many Indians buy cars on basis of resale value!!).

Under Indian conditions, electronics are prone to failure if they are not top notch quality (like available in luxury cars). Can we expect same quality and long term reliability, performance for an infotainment, electronics sensors of a Venue, Sonet and T-ROC, etc.?
Heat, humidity, rain, water-logging, dust, microbes, fungus, chemicals, spillages attack the electronics. The components and boards shall have special design, coatings etc. which push up the overall cost. And the electro-mechanical components are more critical. Less combination of electronics and mechanicals in Maruti & Toyota is better in this low cost case.
We would be happy if Venue/Sonet/Nexon prove themselves on long run.

Definitely Maruti & Toyota should have improved interiors quality and could have added essential features/ include glaring omissions.
I didn't like the brown colored seats at all. Looks waq!

Is there any provision to change/opt for black colour fabric or seats?

Note from Support: Spacing fixed. Typos fixed. Please run a spell-check before posting. Thank you!

Last edited by aah78 : 30th September 2020 at 01:34. Reason: See note.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 07:58   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

More dealers receive the Urban Cruiser:

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-u1.png

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-u2.png

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-u3.png

Name:  u4.PNG
Views: 4064
Size:  861.6 KB

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-u5.png

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-u6.png

Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 19:56   #90
BHPian

Personally speaking, the sensible side of me wouldn't mind picking this up with a 5 year / 2.2 lakh km extended warranty from Toyota. The smooth and reliable 4 cylinder engine, 4 star NCAP rating, relatively less electronics, good suspension setup and ease of finding parts are all plus points for long term ownership. The headache free and less crowded service at Toyota dealerships is a bonus too. All these are good enough reasons for me to replace my Safari, which is now showing frequent niggles, with the UC.

Last edited by robbie_KL : 1st October 2020 at 20:08. Reason: crispier para
robbie_KL is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed