Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:37   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh

Toyota's Urban Cruiser opens its sales numbers in the sales/dispatch chart of Oct-20.

Does reasonably well and along with Glanza proves its badge-engineering success for the Toyota Suzuki duo.

Quote:
Maruti sourced models (Glanza & Urban Cruiser) majorly helped Toyota to gain volumes and over 48% of Toyota’s sales came from these 2 models!

Name:  to.PNG
Views: 9944
Size:  9.9 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd November 2020 at 12:51.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 16:03   #107
BHPian

Just before Diwali I was in a GGN shopping mall and I could spot two Urban Cruisers in MGF Toyota's display area. Got curious and decided to check out the car.

The silver/grey colour was not very attractive. However, the carbon fiber coloured stickers on this dull colour looked attractive for the exteriors. This is my personal feeling.

I found the blue colour attractive and tried the interior space. It felt this car is kind of raised swift car! Only the front seat space was good for me (6 feet height and on a bit heavier side). Knee room was ok, didn't interfere with any console panel. However, it cannot be confirmed unless I drive the car on road and position the seat at the best driving posture for me.

Driver seat, co-passenger seat bolstering were ok however bucket curvature could have been better. It shall be adequate for normal sized average indians. I liked the seat fabrics. I was skeptical about brown coloured seat. But when I saw the interior I liked it. It was dark drown. Elbow rest was not adequate for persons having longer limbs.

Dashboard and instrumentation cluster were OK for me, since I do not like tons of switches and floating TV like infotainment display. Personally I like the analogue speedometer and tacho. Plastic quality was maruti suzuki standard!

Then I went to the rear bench keeping the driver seat and co-passenger seat at the same position (supposedly the suitable position for my driving posture). The disappointment starts when I opened the rear door. The door is very small (comparable to my 2016 swift). My feet hits the speaker grill (exactly what happens in my swift). And the rear bench is just like my swift. I can't say it was adequate even for me and my wife and a laptop bag! Knee room was just ok for me. The seat was too upright and not comfortable (swift's rear seat inclination felt better, though I didn't have the angle measurement comparison for these two cars).

Next I checked the boot space. It was adequate for us, because we travel light (also, we have no third person in family to travel for days together). I think there should have been adjustable inclination of the rear seat.

Next, I opened the bonnet. I heard the bonnet of Maruti Suzuki Vitara breeza is heavy, and other body panels and rear hatch door are filmsy, tinny. Yes, I found the same in this Toyota Urban Cruiser also. Does this heavy bonnet sheet metal only can provide whatever apparently good NCAP safety rating? I have no idea. But couldn't understand the design philosophy behind this.

This variant had the rear wiper and defogger which I miss in my swift VXi (O).

Shall I plan for this Urban Cruiser as my next car- a high ground clearance petrol car with strong body and easy to drive? Frankly, I am disappointed when I tried the rear seats, and found all panels and hatch door very filmsy. I heard the engine sound of an urban cruiser in Kolkata during this puja (it was attractive), and thought I'll try to see this car from inside. Urban Cruiser no good!

Last edited by RijuC : 24th November 2020 at 16:11.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 19:56   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Shall I plan for this Urban Cruiser as my next car- a high ground clearance petrol car with strong body and easy to drive? Frankly, I am disappointed when I tried the rear seats, and found all panels and hatch door very filmsy. I heard the engine sound of an urban cruiser in Kolkata during this puja (it was attractive), and thought I'll try to see this car from inside. Urban Cruiser no good!
Look the Urban Cruiser/Brezza is a no-nonsense car which you can’t go wrong with, neither does it have many features (other than the usual ones) nor does it have a special feel to it but otherwise it is a good car with a 4 star crash safety rating. Service experience is also good with Toyota so you cannot go wrong with it. Regarding space I had sat in the Urban Cruiser 2 weeks ago and found the rear seat good enough, it is better in space compared to my EcoSport’s seat. Doors had a decent thud but not the same as the EcoSport. The petrol engine is refined and has decent performance.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:47   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I see you are okay with less boot space. Recommend you to have a look at XUV300 as well.

I had a look at Brezza/ Urban Cruiser. It is a no nonsense car with excellent power delivery in the low range. But once you open that door

XUV300 W6 variant will be slightly cheaper than Urban High variant, minus the alloy wheels and rear washer.
shashant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:57   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Look the Urban Cruiser/Brezza is a no-nonsense car which you can’t go wrong with, neither does it have many features (other than the usual ones) nor does it have a special feel to it but otherwise it is a good car with a 4 star crash safety rating. Service experience is also good with Toyota so you cannot go wrong with it. Regarding space I had sat in the Urban Cruiser 2 weeks ago and found the rear seat good enough, it is better in space compared to my EcoSport’s seat. Doors had a decent thud but not the same as the EcoSport. The petrol engine is refined and has decent performance.
This is one of the biggest reason why I tried to check the Urban Cruiser. I could see many people with tight budget (read less than 10 Lakhs) buy this car Maruti Suzuki Vitara Breeza (considering Urban Cruiser and Breeza are the same car). I didn't like the front grille of new Breeza (basically I hate too much shiny chrome things on cars). So many buyers can't be wrong (not sure about safety aspects though).

It is true that Urban Cruiser is a no nonsense car. And it matches my personality/ requirements. It ticks almost all the boxes (except the upright stance of the rear seat). I don't need android tv in my car. I don't need digital indicators (I do see lots of indicators at plants), sunroof, ventilated seats, push button start, engine start from key (I have designed enough of remote starting of machines ). I am not an expert driver, never going to do a three digit speed.

Any idea how is the noise level when this car is running? I prefer a quiet cabin (don't like swift's noisy cabin). Recently I drove a diesel swift from Revv car, and the cabin was quieter than my petrol Swift (road friction, wind noise and outside noise). Diesel engine noise was anyway present.

I'll also check Ecosport interior, specially the rear seat space availability and vertical portion. Is the thick A-pillar of Ecosport too much troublesome?

How is the automatic gearbox of Urban Cruiser? Does it fulfill my requirements for maximum 80-90 kmph speed, city and highway running ratio would be 40:60 (I stay in Gurgaon). And Gurujam is a regular affair for my location. I am 40+ and knees are not in good shape.

My need is a good ground clearance car to sail through pathetic broken roads of Gurgaon, good shock absorber, easy to drive, safe car, easy to maintain petrol or good diesel engine car (to upgrade). Urban Cruiser fulfills almost all except the rear seat and filmsy body panel.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:14   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is one of the biggest reason why I tried to check the Urban Cruiser. I could see many people with tight budget (read less than 10 Lakhs) buy this car Maruti Suzuki Vitara Breeza (considering Urban Cruiser and Breeza are the same car). I didn't like the front grille of new Breeza (basically I hate too much shiny chrome things on cars). So many buyers can't be wrong (not sure about safety aspects though).

It is true that Urban Cruiser is a no nonsense car. And it matches my personality/ requirements. It ticks almost all the boxes (except the upright stance of the rear seat). I don't need android tv in my car. I don't need digital indicators (I do see lots of indicators at plants), sunroof, ventilated seats, push button start, engine start from key (I have designed enough of remote starting of machines ). I am not an expert driver, never going to do a three digit speed.

Any idea how is the noise level when this car is running? I prefer a quiet cabin (don't like swift's noisy cabin). Recently I drove a diesel swift from Revv car, and the cabin was quieter than my petrol Swift (road friction, wind noise and outside noise). Diesel engine noise was anyway present.

I'll also check Ecosport interior, specially the rear seat space availability and vertical portion. Is the thick A-pillar of Ecosport too much troublesome?

How is the automatic gearbox of Urban Cruiser? Does it fulfill my requirements for maximum 80-90 kmph speed, city and highway running ratio would be 40:60 (I stay in Gurgaon). And Gurujam is a regular affair for my location. I am 40+ and knees are not in good shape.

My need is a good ground clearance car to sail through pathetic broken roads of Gurgaon, good shock absorber, easy to drive, safe car, easy to maintain petrol or good diesel engine car (to upgrade). Urban Cruiser fulfills almost all except the rear seat and filmsy body panel.
I had test driven the manual top spec trim with my father so can’t comment on the automatic but you can check the Vitara Brezza’s official review of the 1.5L petrol mated to the 4 spd automatic transmission. Refinement was good a bit of tire noise but only at triple digit speeds. If 80-90 kmph is the speed you are going to do then look no further this car has enough punch till the ton. Looks wise I liked the Urban Cruiser’s front much better than the Vitara Brezza’s chrome loaded one!

EcoSport’s A pillar is thick so it creates a huge blind spot, have missed bikes few times but once you get used to it it’s fine. Rear space is definitely more in the Urban Cruiser I can say that. You can check the Tata Nexon and Mahindra XUV300 as well.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:44   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Given the budget , Brezza AT is the most practical no nonsense offering. But if you are going to have people in the backseat regularly, S-Cross AT might be a better choice at minimal additional cost.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:28   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota's badge engineering success continues:

Brezza + UC =10670

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 7384
Size:  88.5 KB

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 20:46   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota's 'Made in India' Urban Cruiser to enter S African market soon.

With the Starlet (Glanza) , this B SUV will be the second product from the Suzuki-Toyota alliance to go to International markets.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 7105
Size:  138.2 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th December 2020 at 20:47.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 20:53   #115
Senior - BHPian

For those used to the whole swift interior ergonomics, this car is bang on. I checked out the car recently and felt the same. I felt they could at least give beige inserts here or there to give a little more premium feeling. The all black dashboard and seats doesn't help.

Overall its not a bad car. It gets the job done with out any fuss. Also there will be peace of mind in terms of spare parts, service and resale value. Do check out the dark brown and dark blue shades. They look nice.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 11:53   #116
BHPian

I am hoping the Urban Cruiser gets the BS6 Diesel engine that is getting readied by Maruti. If that happens, I might be tempted to look at Urban Cruiser as my daily drive and use my Vento TDI only for the highways.

I am more inclined to consider a Toyota over Maruti even though both are basically the same car.
Kiterunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 15:48   #117
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser has been launched in South Africa in three variants with prices ranging from RM 247,900 (around INR 12.25 lakh) to RM 315,700 (around INR 15.60 lakh).

Quote:
Just like in India, the Toyota Urban Cruiser is available with a sole naturally aspirated 1.5-liter petrol engine.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 21st March 2021 at 15:50.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 20:52   #118
BHPian

The Toyota Urban Cruiser needs a Diesel Engine to rev up its sales. Once the Maruti 1.5 Diesel engine is ready, it would eventually find its way into the Urban Cruiser this year.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:01   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser reviewed in S Africa:

Old 15th April 2021, 21:58   #120
BHPian

Here's Another Walk-around video of High Variant. The black alloys look very good indeed!

Last edited by 911CarerraS : 15th April 2021 at 21:59. Reason: Punctuation marks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks