Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 17:11   #106
BHPian

Re: BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021

If Mercedes launches the A35 AMG at the expected price of 60L ex-showroom, then they will have a hard time. At around 65L ex-showroom the M340i makes a strong case for itself against the A35 ( 3.0 litre 355 hp vs 2.0 litre 306 hp, Longitudinal mounted engine vs transverse mounted engine)
Sivacar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 16:51   #107

If I may add -
A35 AMG and M340i are absolutely from two different segments. Yes prices may be similar, but if a buyer wants huge tuning potential with rear based awd system, they would go for M340i. A35 is good but I don't think it will be valued anymore in our country, there are far more practical fast sedans available now.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - While typing a post, please ensure that -

- Use CAPITAL letters where required

- Proof-Read your posts to correct Language & Grammatical errors.

- Use the right punctuation.

- Use spaces properly (between sentences as well as paragraphs).

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th February 2021 at 09:25. Reason: Mod note attached.
Rohanf12 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th February 2021, 12:29   #108
BHPian

Test Drive Impressions

This is a car I have been itching to drive, and now finally after not one, but two test drives, here are my thoughts:

The test car we have here has some MPerformance bits added and looks very cool, but that front splitter is an absolute no-go in our conditions.

BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021-img_0803.jpg

BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021-img_0796.jpg

BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021-img_0801.jpg

Pros:
  • Outstanding engine and gearbox, perfectly tuned and flawless power delivery. BMW is leagues ahead of the other two Germans when it comes to engines and gearbox tuning.
  • Dynamically engaging with fantastic steering feel
  • Great build quality and pretty feature loaded.

Cons:
  • Sports Seats aren’t that comfortable, will surely tell on long drives.
  • Drab looking interior trim, if it was full black it might have added to the sporty look, but this grey look is dull. I actually wished they kept the same interior and seats as the 330i MSport.
  • MSport suspension on the stiffer side and skittish on undulating roads. High speed stability on highways was not confidence inspiring as every time you go over road joints etc, it could throw around the passengers. Not ideal if you want this to do family duties. The added weight of the Xdrive was clearly felt, it didn’t seem as light on its feet as I had expected.

Summary:

Fantastic power and handling but practicality and comfort are severely compromised.

Additionally, VS M2C:

Straight-line speed and acceleration, not a huge difference unless you are launching where the XDrive will help take off faster, but rolling the M2C will easily pull ahead. But the way the power is delivered is different, with the M2C you feel it in an exhilarating manner. Once you start cutting through some highway traffic and take a few turns the difference is huge, the M2C is so much lighter in feel and so much sharper, its a completely different driving experience. Plus the DCT on the M2C is another dimension. Normally comparing these two would not be fair but in India seems like a few people are trying to choose between the two.

Last edited by Reesnat : 27th February 2021 at 12:34. Reason: Added content
Reesnat is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 08:19   #109
BHPian

Re: Test Drive Impressions

I am one of those crazy people who is comparing the two !

But honestly this will be a step-up for me from a 530d and a step-down for you from an M2. So other than the possibly stiff ride for daily use I am really really looking forward to each and every aspect of the car! Let's hope that dampers can be upgraded to adaptive ones post delivery and that will take care of what remains a stellar package at this price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
This is a car I have been itching to drive, and now finally after not one, but two test drives, here are my thoughts:

The test car we have here has some MPerformance bits added and looks very cool, but that front splitter is an absolute no-go in our conditions.

Fantastic power and handling but practicality and comfort are severely compromised.

Straight-line speed and acceleration, not a huge difference unless you are launching where the XDrive will help take off faster, but rolling the M2C will easily pull ahead. But the way the power is delivered is different, with the M2C you feel it in an exhilarating manner. Once you start cutting through some highway traffic and take a few turns the difference is huge, the M2C is so much lighter in feel and so much sharper, its a completely different driving experience. Plus the DCT on the M2C is another dimension. Normally comparing these two would not be fair but in India seems like a few people are trying to choose between the two.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th February 2021 at 09:21. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Dieselite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 10:21   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post

Let's hope that dampers can be upgraded to adaptive ones post delivery and that will take care of what remains a stellar package at this price point.
Haha, can sense your mounting excitement and look forward to both your and Karan's deliveries.

By the way, can you at all modify from the non-adaptive dampers to the adaptive ones? I would have thought it needs major ECM coding apart from changing related wiring bits and pieces because the dampers are electronically controlled.

Purely academic curiosity.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:41   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
By the way, can you at all modify from the non-adaptive dampers to the adaptive ones? I would have thought it needs major ECM coding apart from changing related wiring bits and pieces because the dampers are electronically controlled.

Purely academic curiosity.
It would require all the things you mentioned and probably a few more but it should be possible if it is available as an option from factory. Could be cost prohibitive but still possible. KW makes aftermarket adaptive height adjustable suspension for many models too which can be another option.
Old 1st March 2021, 08:33   #112
BHPian

Adaptive Dampers can only be aftermarket ones. Factory options won't be offered and retrofitting a factory system after delivery won't be practically possible.
Dieselite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 08:45   #113
BHPian

Quote:

But honestly this will be a step-up for me from a 530d and a step-down for you from an M2. So other than the possibly stiff ride for daily use I am really really looking forward to each and every aspect of the car! Let's hope that dampers can be upgraded to adaptive ones post delivery and that will take care of what remains a stellar package at this price point.
530D is honestly a tough act to follow as an all rounder.

A suspension upgrade that suits our roads should be a top priority for future 340i owners in my opinion. Something like the KW Street Comfort would have been ideal but I’m not sure if that model is offered on the 340i. I have it on my vRS and it’s fantastic on our roads.
Reesnat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 08:57   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
530D is honestly a tough act to follow as an all rounder.
To be perfectly honest I always found the F10 to be too soft and yet not ultra comfortable in city. Sharper bumps would catch it out and yet it felt a bit too soft for the amount of power it had to put down.

When I compared the M340i to it I found the M340i to have a more compact exterior and yet identical levels of interior space for 4 adults. Feels more nimble on its feet and definitely stiffer. Although the one I drove had 19 inch wheels with Pirelli rubber.

The B58 is definitely a big plus over the F10's inline 6 diesel. The M340i loaded to the gills with kit ! Specially the laser lights are a big plus. Hence, other than the ride which hopefully can be improved with aftermarket dampers it will be a definite step up for me !
Dieselite is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 09:03   #115
BHPian

Quote:
To be perfectly honest I always found the F10 to be too soft and yet not ultra comfortable in city. Sharper bumps would catch it out and yet it felt a bit too soft for the amount of power it had to put down.

When I compared the M340i to it I found the M340i to have a more compact exterior and yet identical levels of interior space for 4 adults. Feels more nimble on its feet and definitely stiffer. Although the one I drove had 19 inch wheels with Pirelli rubber.

The B58 is definitely a big plus over the F10's inline 6 diesel. The M340i loaded to the gills with kit ! Specially the laser lights are a big plus. Hence, other than the ride which hopefully can be improved with aftermarket dampers it will be a definite step up for me !
Yeah the G series 530D addressed some of that. The engine and gearbox on the 340i is a bomb package for sure. You’re in for a treat in that regard!
Reesnat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:32   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

M340i 792M Alloys !

In continuation of my post #85 I am happy to say that I have ordered a new set of 19" 792M Alloy Wheels for my M340i

Name:  Screenshot 20210301 at 5.33.18 PM.png
Views: 1802
Size:  181.2 KB

Looking forward

Last edited by karan561 : 1st March 2021 at 17:47.
karan561 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:43   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: M340i 792M Alloys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
In continuation of my post #85 I am happy to say that I have ordered a new set of 19" 792M Alloy Wheels for my M340i

Attachment 2127400

Looking forward
Stunning! From BMW India themselves or authorized importer etc.? Will really complement the looks.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the ballpark price? And what tyres will you go for given the import restrictions?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 22:20   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats, Karan; Looking forward!
Thanks !
Quote:
Stunning! From BMW India themselves or authorized importer etc.?
Ordered through the dealership.
Quote:
Will really complement the looks.

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what is the ballpark price?
Not sure yet, still working out that deal. Will keep you all updated.
Quote:
And what tyres will you go for given the import restrictions?
Working out a few options, will get clear in the coming days

Last edited by karan561 : 1st March 2021 at 22:22.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:25   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From BMW India themselves or authorized importer etc.? Will really complement the looks.
Official dealerships charge a lot unless you have special relations like Karan

One of my knowns asked me to veto a deal he has negotiated for 220-D, being Sunday, I went to the dealership and somehow convinced him to instead order the M340 Let's see how it progress.

One thing is sure, dealerships here in North are slow, or should I say, there are fewer customers with interests for such sleeper cars, maybe they need more flashier designs to justify the additional monies.

I checked some wheel options with my regular guy and this is what he quoted me.

Style 792
2.60 for wheels
1.38 for tyres michelin PS4S
R 19
Tyres ready
Wheels 10-12 days lead time

Style 791 also available
Attached Thumbnails
BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021-whatsapp-image-20210302-2.11.18-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd March 2021 at 14:28.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:47   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

The website has finally been updated;

BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021-a5cab8e59419489e9dd5059a41f99127.jpeg

http://bmw.in/m340i
karan561 is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks