Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:41   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021

Congratulations to all members who booked their BMW M40i and looking forward to seeing your ownership thread on the forum soon

I own the BMW X3 M40i which is technically the same car with almost the same power and torque output (I note, some minor changes from US to India) barring which everything seems to be pretty much the same but, on stilts..LOL!

I’d like to let you know that BMW is cheating their customers (Just kidding) by underquoting the power capability of this internationally acclaimed engine (B-58). Being a first time BMW customer, I was not aware that it’s regular for BMW to underquote their power figures which for us petrol-heads is always a good news. But, by how much is always a question on our mind

I’m sharing this post to elevate your already excited mind, heart and soul that B-58 engine is tuned to 446 Horsepower (This is my example of the BMW X3 M40i) and not what they quote in their specs sheet

Here is the actual horsepower number for X3M 40i which is 400HP at the wheel which translates to 446 horsepower at crank and all of this is for stock engine which is a huge difference

BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021-img_9130-2.jpg

I have spoken to quite a few owners here and everyone mentioned the same actual horsepower figures and hence, they mentioned why the car feels so blistering fast in Sports + mode

There are simple maps in the market that can make this X3M Competition level (500+ HP) for as low as $500. But, honestly this much power, chassis and gearbox combination is perfect and quite usable for day to day driving unlike the true-blue M cars that are much stiffer for daily driving. So best of both worlds

Just calling out from my last bad experience with a large manufacturer (Triumph Motorcycles) when they released detuned version to our market due to fuel quality issues. I'm sure BMW will never do that but, it doesn't hurts to keep tabs on the spec we get in India vs. US/Euro versions. Also, I wish they offered more exciting interior options, as current one could have been a lot better especially for the money that we pay in India

It would be interesting to see what would be the actual power output of the M340i when slapped on a dyno

Once again cheers to all owners, Let me tell you one thing- You are in for one heck of a ride !!!
mobike008 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:53   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Here is the actual horsepower number for X3M 40i which is 400HP at the wheel which translates to 446 horsepower at crank and all of this is for stock engine which is a huge difference
:
Thanks mobike008, very informative!

Similarly, any idea what the B48 (B46 in the US) 330i engine delivers? Just for my personal curiosity .
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:55   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Similarly, any idea what the B48 (B46 in the US) 330i engine delivers? Just for my personal curiosity .
330i typically puts out around 230whp on 98 RON fuel. Source - protuningfreaks and bimmerpost.
dealer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:39   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
330i typically puts out around 230whp on 98 RON fuel. Source - protuningfreaks and bimmerpost.
Quote:

Similarly, any idea what the B48 (B46 in the US) 330i engine delivers? Just for my personal curiosity
Thanks. What Dealer mentioned is correct. B48/46 true power at crank is 270 HP which is 230 at the wheel. Some owners in Bimmerpost also mention upto 290 HP at crank

Dealer- Would you know any inputs on the maps from tuningprofreaks? They have maps for M340i for $595. I am bit technically challenged and cannot do it on my own.

Are there be any dealers in any large cities in the US who will install this map? And, if required can it be flashed back to stock?

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd March 2021 at 10:40.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:59   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
What Dealer mentioned is correct. B48/46 true power at crank is 270 HP which is 230 at the wheel. Some owners in Bimmerpost also mention upto 290 HP at crank
Thank you both. I'm assuming that even if true HP is more, our normal 91RON fuel will bring it back to ~ 254?

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd March 2021 at 11:10.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:42   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Dealer- Would you know any inputs on the maps from tuningprofreaks? They have maps for M340i for $595. I am bit technically challenged and cannot do it on my own.

Are there be any dealers in any large cities in the US who will install this map? And, if required can it be flashed back to stock?
I have tuned my car using bootmod3 and I can safely say that anyone can go through the process using the guide available on the protuningfreaks website. AFAIK there are many dealers in the US but I recommend that you do it yourself. The guide is easy to follow and also teaches you about datalogging so that you can monitor the health of your car pretty easily. Also, flashing to stock takes about 30 seconds using your phone so you can do it anytime.

Quote:
Thank you both. I'm assuming that even if true HP is more, our normal 91RON fuel will bring it back to ~ 254?
Yes, I believe the behavior would be the same as my car under stock map. The car was advertised in India with 184 bhp and that is exactly what my car produced on 91 RON fuel. Bumping up the octane however (power99), gave 200bhp at the crank. So, in any case your car won't make any less power than advertised.
dealer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 14:29   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW India seems to have worked out 3 different "Packages" (Enthusiasts, Racers & Motorsport Packs) for the M340i mainly focusing on cosmetic enhancements.

Packages include a different Set of Rims, Body Kit/Skirts & Carbon Fibre treatment.

Im told the above packages are supposed to be priced aggressively.
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 16:01   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
BMW India seems to have worked out 3 different "Packages" (Enthusiasts, Racers & Motorsport Packs) for the M340i mainly focusing on cosmetic enhancements.

Packages include a different Set of Rims, Body Kit/Skirts & Carbon Fibre treatment.

I am intrigued what package would you be opting for!

Some drool worthy visual differentiation is definitely needed for the M340i over the regular 3.

Last edited by white_vdi : 4th March 2021 at 16:08.
white_vdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 21:54   #129
BHPian

Quote:

This sounds really exciting ! Personally I am hoping for some options on 18 inch wheels. 19 inch wheels with the low profile run flats could be too much combined with the stiffer M Sport suspension for Indian roads.

Don't all the reviews go live tomorrow?
Dieselite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 23:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
Don't all the reviews go live tomorrow?
Yes, the reviews will go live at 12 pm tomorrow
Old 4th March 2021, 23:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

The BMW M340i xDrive, Bookings open tomorrow at 3:40pm.

BMW M340i X Drive coming to India in 2021-smartselect_20210304233430_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 00:01   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have tuned my car using bootmod3 and I can safely say that anyone can go through the process using the guide available on the protuningfreaks website. AFAIK there are many dealers in the US but I recommend that you do it yourself. The guide is easy to follow and also teaches you about datalogging so that you can monitor the health of your car pretty easily. Also, flashing to stock takes about 30 seconds using your phone so you can do it anytime.
Thanks for the info. Well, for all my cars I normally enjoy them stock atleast for a year so when any changes to existing power is made that makes me feel happier as by that time I would have fully explored the stock power

Quote:
Yes, I believe the behavior would be the same as my car under stock map. The car was advertised in India with 184 bhp and that is exactly what my car produced on 91 RON fuel. Bumping up the octane however (power99), gave 200bhp at the crank. So, in any case your car won't make any less power than advertised.
While there is no mandate to run BMW engines on the premium fuel but, it's always advisable to user the higher octane version to get the best out of the engine's performance

We dont get the 98 or 100 RON out here so easily so I stick to either the 91 or 93 version

And, I am happy with the FE as I have a habit of calculating it tank to tank for all my cars. A simple math of kms run divided by fuel it goes as I always reset my trip meter after each tankful

I am averaging about 23mpg in the city which is phenomenal and I am sure it will go down to below 20mpg when i complete my run in

Quote:

Karan, nice to know about the options. However, they could have used better names for the packages as they sound quite immature

Do you have a list of features for each of these packages? Out here it's a simple

Premium (3 Features)
Executive ( 3+ 6 New Features = 9 Features)

Also, would be interesting to know if BMW India is offering any or all of below fancy features?

Gesture Control
Light Carpet
Wireless Charging
Ambient Lighting
Wireless Apple Car Play and Android Auto

What are you opting for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
This sounds really exciting ! Personally I am hoping for some options on 18 inch wheels. 19 inch wheels with the low profile run flats could be too much combined with the stiffer M Sport suspension for Indian roads.
My recommendation would be to stick to stock as upsizing to 19 might make the car look better but, might make the car too stiff and uncomfortable in ride quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Yes, the reviews will go live at 12 pm tomorrow
Can't wait to see what is being said about it? Will keep tuned in
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 00:46   #133
BHPian

It seems the 1st 40 bookings will get a track/training day at Buddh.

Regards

Last edited by deepug : 5th March 2021 at 00:46. Reason: added training
deepug is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 08:04   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, would be interesting to know if BMW India is offering any or all of below fancy features?

Gesture Control
Light Carpet
Wireless Charging
Ambient Lighting
Wireless Apple Car Play and Android Auto
Mobike008, these features (wireless AA being rolled out) are already in the 330i M Sport so I have no doubt it will be in the 340i.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 11:48   #135
BHPian

340iexpected to be launched at 63 L ex-showroom
Closed Thread

Most Viewed