Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 11:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!

Maruti Suzuki has revealed that it has sold 3 lakh units of the WagonR CNG till date, making it the highest selling CNG car in the country.

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-wagonr-3-lakh-cng.jpg

The WagonR CNG was launched in 2010. By 2014, sales of the CNG variant had crossed the 1 lakh mark. In 2017, 2 lakh units had been sold.

The WagonR S-CNG is powered by a BS6-compliant 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder engine that produces 58 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 78 Nm @ 3,500 rpm when running on CNG. Running on petrol, the engine makes 67 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 90 Nm @ 3,500 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox.

The car is equipped with dual interdependent ECUs (Electronic Control Units) and injection system. It comes fitted with a 60-litre CNG tank and is has a claimed fuel efficiency of 33.54 km/kg.

According to Maruti Suzuki, the WagonR has been a repeat buy for over 24% of its customers. Since 1999, the carmaker has sold over 24 lakh units of this hatchback.
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
WagonR has been a repeat buy for over 24% of its customers
Not surprising; this car is an allrounder - it offers acres of room inside, great view for the driver, superior driver and passenger comfort, adequate boot space, great fuel efficiency, and low cost of upkeep.

Although an earlier avatar, we have our own @paragsachania 's WagonR as a benchmark of sorts w.r.t long term ownership.

I know an amateur driver who did 700km non-stop (with only one bio break) in a WagonR.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well deserved success. I used to have one (Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown) with absolutely fuss-free ownership (the breakdown was due to me leaving the headlights on for a very long with and engine switched off). Wagon R is one of the most practical small cars one can buy in the market, then coupled with CNG it simply becomes an unbeatable combination. The delivery of our CNG wagon R was delayed as RTO didn't approve the sale, some issue with CNG nozzle as Maruti introduced CNG filling nozzles which definitely reduces CNG filling time. Thanks to dual ECU, CNG performance overall was very very satisfactory. We had Maruti 800 (1992 carb model) which ran on CNG, then Wagon R CNG and then Baleno 1.6 was fitted with CNG, and the best experience has been with Wagon R. Seamless shifting from petrol to CNG, AC didn't impact the performance by more than a negligible margin, excellent efficiency.

However, those purchasing CNG cars should know that every 3 years or so the CNG cylinder has to be tested for safety and certification. If this is not done, the CNG filling station can refuse to fill in CNG. I came to know this when my chauffeur was on highway duty with my car. Moreover this testing has to be done by approved testing centers only. This is a minor headache in overall ownership. To the best of my knowledge, Maruti makes changes to its engine like different valve seats in CNG equipped engines as compared to petrol only engine which ensure that engine longevity is not impacted. Also the suspension of factory fitted CNG cars are stiffened up a bit. My wagon R without cylinder (which was taken out for testing and certification ) rode higher and bouncier as compared to a friends' petrol only wagon R with lower odometer reading.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 25th September 2020 at 12:04.
aaggoswami is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:33   #4
BHPian

Wagon R CNG is an ultimate VFM vehicle. We bought our 2012 Wagon R LXI CNG as a city beater car from Maruti True Value in 2016 which did only 21K kms in 4 years with very detailed service records. We put another 26K kms in the next 4 years. This car is primarily used in city. We were used to bigger SUVs and MUVs all our lives but my parents and siblings felt very comfortable with this car due to it's tall boy design and upright seating position. The AC is super chilled and EPS is very light compared to our other hydraulic steering vehicles. Even the split folding rear seats are good for any storage materials. As this car is mostly used in city, we never felt the need of boot, we have other bigger vehicles to ferry goods if needed. Most of the light weight stuff can still be accommodated on the rear parcel tray as well. I once did a 630 km round trip along with my friends to kunthala waterfalls, I did not feel tired at all. According to the specifications, Wagon R's engine produces 58 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 78 Nm @ 3,500 rpm when running on CNG. Running on petrol, the engine makes 67 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 90 Nm @ 3,500 rpm. To be honest, I never felt difference in power when driven in Petrol or CNG with full load (5 occupants) and with AC on. The car also picks up speed pretty fast. May be because I'm used to bigger diesel cars, I feel this to be a pocket rocket. Well, did I just name my Waggy a pocket rocket while writing this post? I really like this name and I'll be using this name from now. Post warranty, this vehicle is still being serviced at M.A.S.S because we did not want to take any chance with CNG due to it's explosive nature. (We never had any issues though!)

Also, when I was working in Gurgoan, Wagon R CNG used to be my uber and ola ride most of the times. There are many Wagon R CNG cabs attached to Uber and Ola in cities like Delhi and Mumbai, such is the popularity of this vehicle.

I also read about Wagon R CNG extensively on this forum which helped me to maintain it in pristine condition mechanically.

BHPians Syravi's (My Maruti WagonR CNG. EDIT : 50,000 kms up!) and aaggoswami's (Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown) ownership threads helped me a lot to know more about this vehicle.

Syravi's thread about changing CNG filters was also very useful. link (The importance of changing CNG Filters on time)

I also did a DIY installation of Tachometer on my Wagon R very easily, thanks to BHPians vishwaschettri and a4anurag for their very detailed threads on DIY tachometer installation in Wagon R LXI.
Vishwaschettri's DIY tacho installation (DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR)

a4anurag's DIY tacho installation (DIY: Tachometer Installation for WagonR & A-Star LXi)

Also thanks to paragsachania for his amazing thread on his
F10 Wagon R , because of which I could trust my Wagon-R and take it out on a highway trip. As I said above, I clocked 600+ kms in a single day, the car performed exceptionally well without any issues. I thought a small displacement engine cannot handle highway runs until I experienced it otherwise. The car was great to drive on highway, engine was super silent and returned about 29 to 30 km/kg on NH 44 (Srinagar to Kanyakumari highway).

Last but not the least, I'd also like to thank Leoshashi for inspiring me to take care of the small car. We initially bought it as a city beater car, it has it's own share of dings and dents, but that doesn't prevent me from loving this car, after seeing LeoShashi's love for his GG (M800), his tips and tricks to maintain it in pristine condition, I too started to take care of my pocket rocket well. This is our only Maruti and a small car in our family and we love it. We saved lots of diesel after purchasing this car and it is one versatile vehicle for the way it served us for the last 4 years. We never faced any major issues so far except for the pricey services which are almost as the same cost of Innova Crysta. Also it's flimsy build quality, lack of airbags, abs and very thin tyres are a concerning thing for safety. I drive very cautiously around bigger vehicles like trucks and buses. This car left my driver stranded in a hospital in Medak district due to blown relay (starter / immobilizer relay),https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-relay-6767775/ it was replaced by Sai Service. I called Maruti roadside assistance and they reached the place in 45 minutes from nearest town and prompty fixed it. Part cost : 270 rupees, service charge 500 rupees. My driver later confessed that he left the ignition on to charge his mobile phone via 12v socket.

Here are a couple of pictures of our Wagon-R

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114417.jpg

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114011.jpg

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_3210.jpg

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114359.jpg

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114343.jpg

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114501.jpg

Current reading on the ODO.

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114054.jpg

My tachometer. I installed it on a removable plastic panel, even in future if I wish to remove it, I can change this plastic panel which costs 60 rupees.

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114228.jpg

The control panel, still yet to wire the fog lamp switch, got an idea from dkaile's DIY on his baleno, (Mods, tweaks & upgrades for my Maruti Baleno Sigma) will do it soon along with bi-xenon projector fogs upgrade.

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114135.jpg

Installed Blaupunkt Pure Component 66.2C Component Speakers , this was a simple DIY method, Component speakers were plug and play in those 6 inch speaker holes in door pads. My drill machine and saw-bit came in handy to cut holes on the door panels to install these tweeters.

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_20200925_114149.jpg

CNG station / agency at Shamirpet, near Nalsar Law college. From this station they supply CNG to all parts of Hyderabad.

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_3211.jpg

9 or 9.2 kgs was the maximum capacity of our cylinder, although it was advertised as 10 kgs / 60 liters.

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_3213.jpg

We did about 280 kms on this tankful of CNG. Imagine doing 280 kms with just 460 rupees on a car, well we did it on a highway drive.

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-img_3216.jpg

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 25th September 2020 at 13:53. Reason: spacing
WhiteSierra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:33   #5
BHPian

As much as I hate the boxy design, the sheer practicality and economical cost of running, maintenance and fuss free ownership makes me want to keep the car for as long as I would want to.

Do have a look at this thread (Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money) for the minor mods I have done in my last 4+ years of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post

My tachometer. I installed it on a removable plastic panel, even in future if I wish to remove it, I can change this plastic panel which costs 60 rupees.
Can you please share details on how did you install it, cost and materials required and from where did you procure the tachometer?
pankajn1702 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajn1702 View Post
As much as I hate the boxy design, the sheer practicality and economical cost of running, maintenance and fuss free ownership makes me want to keep the car for as long as I would want to.

Do have a look at this thread (Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money) for the minor mods I have done in my last 4+ years of ownership.

Can you please share details on how did you install it, cost and materials required and from where did you procure the tachometer?

I purchased A-star tachometer as it is a 3 cylinder k10 petrol engine, same as Wagon R LXI, did not go for Ritz tachometer as it is a 4 cylinder engine, I thought there might be issue with wrong readings on the tacho. IIRC, it costed me 1600 rupees at MGP outlet. The stock wasn't there in my nearest MGP store, I ordered it and it arrived in 6 days.

Regarding other materials, installation procedure, I simply followed these threads which are pretty straight forward and you can easily do it on your own with minimum tools.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ti-wagonr.html (DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-star-lxi.html (DIY: Tachometer Installation for WagonR & A-Star LXi)

I just saw your post in the other thread just now, your car looks super cool with black painted rims and alloy like wheel caps.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:05   #7
BHPian

Few months back, I used a Wagon R CNG for my office commute for a short period and I was amazed at it's efficiency. A full tank easily clocked over 200 kms, it would take in under 9 kgs CNG every alternate day. In short, it was substantially cheaper to run than my KTM 390, even if I would include service costs. No surprises in why it is so popular in city.
ast.ggn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 07:22   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Might look like a bread box, but man, is this car practical. I have yet to meet a WagonR owner who wasn't happy with the car. Cheap, spacious, reliable, easy ingress / egress, AMT automatics and now available with that jewel of a 1.2L petrol. Test-drive the WagonR 1.2L and you'll be left grinning .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Wagon R is the Best Selling CNG car in India!

Maruti WagonR CNG 3 lakh sales up!-cngcarsalesindia.jpg

-Maruti Suzuki Wagon R S-CNG contributed to over 31% of the CNG cars sold in India for H1 FY2021.

- Wagon R constitutes to almost 1 out of every 3 CNG cars sold in India

- 45,817 Maruti Suzuki CNG cars sold from Apr- Sept. 20

- Among the 51,448 CNG cars sold; Wagon R sales was 16,167 units and it emerged as India’s No.1 selling CNG model.

- CNG variants contribution go all the way to 31% sales for the overall model volumes!

Quote:
Wagon R CNG claims a mileage of 32.52 km/kg and is slightly higher to that of Alto (31.59 km/kg). It wouldn’t be wrong to say that CNG is the New Diesel for Maruti Suzuki. While Diesel has vanished from Maruti’s portfolio; it is now ramped up focus on selling CNG cars and is currently selling the option in 7 variants!
Name:  12.PNG
Views: 740
Size:  29.6 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed