Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year

It has been a year since the launch of the Maruti S-Presso. During this period, the company sold over 75,000 units of the car.

Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year-marutispresso06.jpg

The S-Presso was launched on September 30, 2019. Within a month of its launch, the car entered into the top 10 of the monthly sales chart. It is claimed to have over 9% market share in the A2 segment.

Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year-marutispresso07.jpg

The S-Presso is powered by a 998cc, 3-cylinder petrol engine that makes 67 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 90 Nm @ 3,500 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual and 5-speed automated manual transmission (AMT).

Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year-marutispresso05.jpg

Earlier this year, Maruti introduced CNG variants of the S-Presso. The car uses the same engine but produces 58 BHP and 78 Nm when running on CNG. The CNG variants come equipped with a 5-speed manual gearbox.

Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year-marutispresso01.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 2nd October 2020 at 11:51.
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:58   #2

Re: Maruti sells over 75,000 units of the S-Presso in 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It has been a year since the launch of the Maruti S-Presso. During this period, the company sold over 75,000 units of the car.
Don't know whether to be happy or sad about it.
mopy95 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:09   #3
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I'm not surprised by this. The S-Presso is surprisingly spacious for its small footprint. Maruti Suzuki did a great job by replacing the very cramped (& old) Alto K10 with this car.

It has got only two competitors, Kwid 1.0 and Redi-Go 1.0, both of which are better equipped (objective) and look much better (subjective), but the Suzuki K10 is more refined compared to Renault-Nissan's 1.0 SCe, and in cars featuring rather basic NVH damping like this trio, that makes a big difference.

Add Maruti Suzuki's large and widespread sales & service network and the factory-fitted CNG variants, and it becomes clear why Kwid 1.0 & Redi-Go 1.0 are not able to match the S-Presso's sales numbers.

Last edited by RSR : 2nd October 2020 at 12:11.
RSR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:53   #4

I for one am absolutely surprised by this figure! Maruti it seems really does know the pulse of its customers! I had initially entirely written off the vehicle since I saw it in pics after it's launch.
When all is said and done what matters in the end is sales and Maruti kudos to you for that!!
kirans_nair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 19:30   #5
BHPian

Love it or hate it but this car has "character". I hated it at first but then the looks grew on me. Saw them in person in bright colours and boy does it grab attention. Also what helps its cause is that it hasn't yet been seen much in the taxi segment. I would love to buy one for in-city use.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 19:32   #6
BHPian

Well Deserved!
The Maruti S-Presso is a surprisingly good car for it's money. The car is decently spacious, has top notch refinement and has decent safety kit as well(only car in the segment to get option of dual front airbags!)

Out here on the internet, we might troll them for not being as agressive as Hyundai or as safe as Tata, but MS surely knows the market very well!

This can also be seen in the Compact SUV segment where the Brezza with just 1 engine option and 8-9 variants outsell the likes of the Venue, a car which literally has tonnes of transmission options and has over 20 variants on sale!

Let's just hope MS gets back on track with new launches soon....!
theAutomaniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 19:42   #7
BHPian

Apparently, if Maruti make a bullock cart and badges it with S logo, even that will sell record numbers. The brand image is thoroughly hard baked in Indian mind.
There is no denying it.
deetee is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 21:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Apparently, if Maruti make a bullock cart and badges it with S logo, even that will sell record numbers.
Not really. Compared to other brands, yes. A-Star, Celerio Diesel, Versa, 1st gen Baleno, Estilo, Kizashi, Ritz, Grand Vitara, Ignis and SX4 to some extent didn't sell well under Suzuki logo.

So they sell what clicks as a package. People don't lap up anything served at them.

We may or may not like a product when it is not in our requirement or consideration but when it is, Spresso makes sense compared to Kwid or Redi-Go when you actually want to go and buy a fuss free ownership car which is practical and loaded.
RavSam is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 21:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Not really. Compared to other brands, yes. A-Star, Celerio Diesel, Versa, 1st gen Baleno, Estilo, Kizashi, Ritz, Grand Vitara, Ignis and SX4 to some extent didn't sell well under Suzuki logo.
And still these cars sold in numbers other companies could only dream of. If the Ignis sold similar numbers under the Volkswagen badge, it would have been called a runaway hit. I cannot imagine any other brand selling the espresso and getting away with it. God forbid if Tata and Mahindra had launched this how this thing would be slammed left right and centre.

The point is simple its an average product with a good engine and horrible aesthetics which only MS can get away with. So yes i would say brand MS is atleast 70% why this sells.
400notout is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 23:35   #10
BHPian

Basic internet search shows, maruti has 3600 showrooms in india. That boils down to to an average of 21 cars per showroom per year.

I just got the numbers but not sure how to interpret this data.
ramki.grandhi is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 23:50   #11
BHPian

We have Tata and M&M pushing for more and more safe vehicles, and then we have Maruti at other end. Maruti then says "Are you trying to save the car or passengers". I am sorry and sad to hear such statements from them.

Keeping aside the safety factor for a moment, it is neither a good looking car nor a faster car. It looks ugly, performance is average or as expected from a 800 cc engine. I still can't understand why it is selling so well. I would suggest Kwid over this vehicle at anytime of the day.

When it launched, I was laughing so hard that I started to cry. The ugly duckling styling, sub-par performance, bad quality interiors, zero interesting features and safety-what safety?
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 00:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
We have Tata and M&M pushing for more and more safe vehicles
S-presso comes with 1.0L engine. It's a love it or hate it design. Some people like it and some don't. As per reviews it's performance is any day better than kwid. And kwid wins in the ride and handling department. I did find the interior of S-presso good. Regarding safety, even kwid is not a proven car!
CrossLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 00:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

The only reason MS gets away with their subpar product lineup is down to the fact that despite moving multiple times the products of their rivals per month, they somehow manage to treat their walk in customers very well. You could show up to their dealership in an old pair of clothes and they'll treat you just as good as the guy in a suit(except Nexa dealerships who like to pretend they're catering to James Bond level of customers with a product lineup that actually caters to Austin Powers). Hyundai knows this and has also managed to replicate it. Hence most MS and Hyundai buyers are repeat customers who do not wish to experience other brands due to loyalty and good relationships with their local SA.

Their rivals who barely manage a third of their numbers in contrast end up with dealerships that are about as enthusiastic as government offices. That said, it is still a surprise how the S presso found so many buyers but the marginally better built and much better looking Ignis is a slow igniter, or should I say burner?
Nithesh_M is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 07:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
...Regarding safety, even kwid is not a proven car!
Have no doubt, S-Presso will have a poor rating in a rated crash test like NCAP due to lack of standard passenger side airbags. It is a given.
But it will not be an unmitigated disaster like Kwid because of the multiple failed crash tests and vehicle upgrades that had to be applied before any cosmetic uplift. By my count there were 6-7 versions with various quality and safety upgrades before the current gen model was re-launched. And the customer knows some of this, which lead to quick decline in sales.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 09:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
It looks ugly, performance is average or as expected from a 800 cc engine. I still can't understand why it is selling so well.
I think it is a one litre engine. The Wagon R is not good looking either but sells well. Looks are subjective. The ugliest of all were the first generation Santros and they sold very well. I too laugh when I see people writing encomiums about the RE 350s! I advise people not to buy them and suggest something else. But people like them and they do sell well!
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks