Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Hyundai Creta today?
Yes 161 41.60%
No 226 58.40%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 10:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

To say that the 1st-gen Creta was a smash-hit would be an understatement. Hyundai truly struck gold, and never before in the history of the Indian car scene has a 15-lakh rupee car sold in such mega volumes. It was launched in typical Hyundai fashion = good quality, top refinement, all-rounded'ness, wide range of engines + gearboxes + variants, exceptional marketing.

Positives:

• An all-rounded urban crossover. Darn competent, even by current 2020 standards
• Still looks good. IMHO, this car looks far better than the weird 2nd-gen Creta
• Well-packaged interiors offer sufficient legroom & headroom
• Goodies like a sunroof, electric driver's seat, smartkey cum fitness band, cruise control etc.
• 1.6L petrol & diesel engines are top class. We prefer the old 1.6L CRDi to the new 1.5L
• Smooth 6-speed ATs available with both engines
• Refined nature! NVH levels are simply outstanding
• Balanced suspension offers comfortable ride quality with neutral handling
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP, hill-start assist & more
• Hyundai's reliability & competent after-sales
• Buy a recent model, extend the warranty and you have zero risk!

Negatives:

• Good demand means popular variants are holding onto their prices well in the used market
• Many missing essentials (telescopic steering, auto-folding mirrors, auto-headlamps & wipers...)
• Weirdly, the ATs weren't sold in the top SX(O) trim! You can't have an automatic with 6 airbags
• The Automatics need stronger brakes. Their stopping ability isn't confidence inspiring
• Rear seat is more suitable for 2 adults, not 3
• Hyundai's servicing costs can be higher than expected
• Variant planning has several errors (e.g. split seats & ISOFIX unavailable on the MTs)
• We don't like the puny 1.4L engine offerings; best avoided
• No AWD capability like the Duster, XUV500 & Hexa. Adventure tourers, look elsewhere
• You could get bigger 7-seater SUVs & MPVs for the same money

Related Threads

Official Review, Petrol AT Review, 2018 Facelift

Hyundai India - Quality lapses and apathetic manufacturer response!

RavenAvi's Lazarus - Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol

BNM's Creta

naveen.raju's 1.6 Diesel SX(O)

a4anurag's Creta 1.6L CRDi

Shakensoul's Creta 1.4L Diesel

The Goan's 1.6L Diesel Automatic

pacman2881's Creta 1.4L CRDi E Plus

Curious case of the "converted" Cretas

My remapped Hyundai Creta

Mod Potential:

A remap on the 1.6L diesel can make it fly. Multiple cosmetic upgrades available. Loads of accessories due to the model's popularity.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-petestunedhyundaicretafrontthreequarterdevelops150hp.jpg

Availability:

Exceptional because of the model's success (over 5 lakh copies sold!!!). Plus, thousands of 2015-16 Creta owners are upgrading to the 2nd-gen Creta. Check out some of the examples on sale here.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-images1080x108048.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-images1080x108049.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-images1080x108050.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-images1080x108051.jpeg
blackwasp is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

For 8 - 9 lakh rupees (i.e. Swift & i20 money), you can get a really fantastic pre-worshipped Creta. This would be my default choice if I wanted a stylish AT crossover for <10 lakhs. It's brilliantly all-rounded and like you said, has aged very well. I have seen well-maintained Cretas doing 150,000 km and you'd never know their age unless you glanced at the odometer.

Voted a strong yes .

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2020 at 10:30.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Somehow, since the day I have read the Brake issues with a Creta, I just cant imagine myself in such a car! Hyundai has done nothing to correct that perception.

No recall, nothing.

I would rather buy a Rattly Tata / Maruti than an unsafe Hyundai.
2000rpm is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:47   #4
BHPian

Voted YES. Looks are subjective, I love the previous generation Hyundai Creta compared to the latest generation Creta. An AT SX(O) 1.6 Diesel would make perfect sense over a new Venue. The car looks great, has good road presence and performs exceptionally well.

I love this car design and drool over the pictures, remaps and modifications posted by BHPians a4anurag and naveen.raju. I feel bad for RavenAvi, he sold his previous generation Creta and bought a new generation one, but his choice of color on the new gen Creta looks great.

This is one car which took compact SUV market to Storm. Duster and Ecosport started it but Creta took the race to a different league altogether.

There are about 10 Cretas in our relatively small housing society.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 5th October 2020 at 10:51.
WhiteSierra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:01   #5
BHPian

Voted "Yes", although I'm surprised that the majority have voted "No".
I have loved the first generation Creta since it launched. When I drove one for the first time, it was exactly what I expected it to be. It is really an all-rounder car and totally justifies its huge sales figures. I have gotten used to the looks of the new model now but given a choice, I would pick the first generation Creta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
• Hyundai's servicing costs can be higher than expected
Yes, I have heard about this happening recently. But it doesn't concern me enough to change my decision.
TheGearBox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:05   #6
BHPian

I will not buy this even if I get it for 5 lakhs (no offence meant).

It looked no bigger than an i20 to me. Back in 2015, I was eagerly waiting for its launch as I thought it would be a great upgrade from my Verna. (The Verna was a massive Sedan that could seat 5 hefty adults comfortably with a very spacious boot). Was hugely disappointed to see the Creta in flesh!. I was searching for the 'SUV' in it, and I am still searching.

But I love the new Creta .
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:11   #7
BHPian

Voted No.

It is a great car no doubt and a practical one at that. But going by the list of issues with Hyundai's, the brake issue with this generation, not to forget that Hyundai's are not exactly cheap to maintain and lastly I just could never make a connect with car while driving it, felt like I was using an appliance(no offense to owners). I just cannot see myself buying one even if I was in the market for a softroader.

I can live with a car that has non-life threatening niggles, but not with one under constant fear wondering if my car will also act up one day.

Last edited by Shanksta : 5th October 2020 at 11:13.
Shanksta is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This car is great on the highway. It's great in a way that I can briefly appreciate its rear-end as it pulls away from me as I amble along in my TUV 300.

But it's not really a "SUV" now is it? A SUV doesn't need to have 4x4 or AWD for 99% of us - granted. But will the Creta travel from Mangalore to Udupi on the infamous and perpetually cratered "jalli" road (the Bombay highway) in the monsoons with the same ease as an old Innova? In any case, let's say I wanted really great highway performance, I'd rather get me a sedan. With a low, planted stance, a proper sedan would still run rings around a Creta with a tall stance on the highway. And on bad or "kuchcha" roads, Cretas can see my TUV's rear end as I bounce away from them nonchalantly - no matter what condition the road is in.

The Creta stands in no man's land from my perspective. It doesn't appeal to me.
locusjag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:36   #9
BHPian

Voted No!
I know looks are subjective but I don't really like the first gen Creta. At around 8-9 lacs I will go for the Sonet or Nexon. Nexon offers better customisability due to scope of after market stuff. Also Nexon looks way better than the Creta, IMHO.
And the face that I don't really trust the reliability of Hyundai after reading the brake failure thread and Hyundai doing nothing about it, it just drifts my peace of mind about a Hyundai car.
chiefpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:36   #10
BANNED

Voted a 'Yes'.

The 1.6L CRDi U2 engine mated either to 6-speed MT or AT is a hoot to drive in stock form. A Stage-1 remap from any reliable tuner will make the car great to drive be it in city or highways.

The downside that I hate about the car is those Brakes. Whoever is in charge of the brakes department needs to get a tight wack!

MOD potential in terms of creature comfort is possible (especially to make an 'E' variant an 'SX' variant) but nothing proper available for Brakes or Suspension the way it is available for VAG cars.

My car will be hitting the 3-year mark this 18th and very happy with the car so far even though there were a couple of issues (that I could eventually solve) and odometer is near 86,000 kms mark - don't feel it's been 3 years since I this car into the garage.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20201005_104649_copy_1024x576.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20201005_104720_copy_1024x576.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20201005_104756_copy_1024x576.jpg

Hyundai gave the Indian customer a car that is almost complete from all angles (except for that horrible braking system):
  • Can be both a city and/or Highway cruiser;
  • Handling had improved over the previous generation Hyundai's;
  • Fit and finish is top-notch;
  • Rattles are at a minimum (my car at least);
  • Parts quality is decent;
  • Overall design is great and has aged well even though I see hundreds on the road (in white);
  • Seating comfort;
  • Ground clearance;
    Decent boot space

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th October 2020 at 11:39.
a4anurag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes but depends on the Price

I loved the previous gen Creta and wouldn't mind buying a pre-worshipped one. In fact, I was helping a friend scout for a good piece in the NCR region. However one thing I noticed is the price quoted in the resale market is too high IMO.

For a popular model, having high resale values makes sense to the seller but I don't believe it is lucrative enough for the buyer too. Instead of paying huge sum for a used car, I would get a new car instead. I remember seeing similar resale prices for the Swift D few years ago.

Eventually my friend got a good deal on a new Ecosport and got a new car home

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th October 2020 at 11:41.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:57   #12
BHPian

Voted NO!!

As a current owner of the facelifted Creta(2018) the car is a well contained package, but doesn't excite in any aspect. Plus for Us the Hyundai after-sales experience hasn't been all that rosy like it's usually perceived to be.

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 5th October 2020 at 11:58.
Abhi5868 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted no.

Used Cretas aren’t exactly cheap to begin with. I have a bone to pick with cars that have unsettled suspensions. Those which suffer from the constant up down motion at speed, especially at the back. Nobody’s family should have to put up with such a nauseating and uncomfortable ride. The gen 1 Creta and the Honda City are the flag bearers of such poor setups. Creta has also had repeated issues with its ABS, causing its brakes to not work at times. This issue can potentially be fatal. Hyundai refused to even acknowledge the problem and never issued a recall.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 5th October 2020 at 12:10.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:20   #14
BHPian

Voted NO!

Reason- I cannot drive a car everyday with a constant fear of a brake failure!

The 1st Gen Creta is a handsome car with an excellent set of engines, a smooth and reliable automatic gearbox, great overall build, ample space and excellent ASS but for all this, can we ignore the fact that there's a brake fail issue with the car which the company did nothing about?
Certainly not.
Nazaar25 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No but only w.r.t. my particular requirement of a 100% chauffeur-driven vehicle. I found the Creta 1.6 E+ petrol to be a spacious vehicle, fuel efficient, easy to drive & powerful enough BUT the rear seat was just too bumpy under light load.

Sold our immaculate piece within 2 years. Resale was healthy with a recovery of ~75% of the original on-road price.
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed