Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 12:23   #31
BHPian

Re: September 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin76 View Post
Out of the 2,500 CBUs, VW group have sold 1686, between T roc and Karoq, with both in excess of 800 units. At their respective price given the present market, it’s pretty good.
Yes, the figures are indeed impressive. However, do note that the figures are not all Sales nos, but dispatches to the Dealers. Continuing, in the initial months almost every Skoda/ VW dealer had ordered 2 cars each just for display and TD which are still lying with them. In some cities like Hyderabad, it was 4 cars stuck with the dealership as Display and TD cars.

Zac Hollis mentioned in a tweet on Oct 1 that around 300 Karoq's were sold until then:
https://twitter.com/Zac_Hollis_/stat...435866113?s=20

Also, I think the 2500 CBU quote included Tiguan Allspace vehicles too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Just wondering - why is the Skoda Karoq listed as a C2 segment SUV? Since it is priced well north of 25 lakhs OTR, shouldn't it be a D1/D2 segment SUV?
Yes, I had the same observation about Karoq, Compass, which is almost similarly priced and dimension-wise near-about same is listed in D1.

On the same lines, Tiguan (Allspace) is not listed as D2 rather as D1. Price-wise and dimension-wise it compares more to Fortuner and Endeavour and ought to be in D2.

--Kalyan
Old 6th October 2020, 12:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
The Urban Cruiser dispatched have not yet began officially and is not reported yet. I understand the surprise with Brezza numbers but considering that there are close to 3000 sales outlets peddling the Brezza, each outlet has to only sell 3-4 vehicles per month to touch 10000 numbers!!
I also think exactly the same while reading every month sales report on Team-BHP. Maruti has always had the advantage of huge number of sales outlets be it Maruti or NEXA, and hence the reach. I see three NEXA outlets and three Hyundai outlets very near to my home but only one TATA showroom [so do the showrooms of other OEMs].
The numbers might be [and indeed are] phenomenal in the overall sales chart, but individual outlet might be doing relatively stress-free sale and hence TATA's performance is also phenomenal considering its number of sales outlets.
Other OEMs having much lesser dealers contributing to their respective numbers is also a valid argument, but personally I would like it if OEMs provided dealer-wise numbers [which they will not] so that we would get a clear picture of the performance based on Tier-1/Tier-2/Tier-3 locations, types of vehicles sold predominantly in places with poor/good/better infra [road, housing, parking, so on] etc.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:47   #33
BHPian

Alturus G4- 1 unit sold in last five months and suddenly 70 odd units sold in one month. Is that the stock clearing for this highly capable SUV? Are some huge discounts going on?
Old 6th October 2020, 12:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikipedia87 View Post
What stood out for me was only 133 dispatches of the Duster. Will Renault slash prices or update the interiors of the Duster at least now, considering the 2nd Gen won't be coming to India anytime soon?
It has become a tough pill to swallow now, even ex-owners are also shying away from it. It's partly the spartan interiors and the arrogance of delears . I talked with some of my Team Duster India group friends and noone seemed keen on getting it. I feel the car has lost it's USP now ( Ride and the K9K). We were hopeful at one point to get the 1.3L home because we totally loved the duster and were ready to ignore obvious flaws (this was before the launch) but got really bad response from dealership which put us off totally. Exactly opposite scene with Hyundai, got a nice quote for our i20 and Venue was home without much haggling.

Overall, the month seems like a positive ray of hope after few dismal months. Few things stood out for me.

- Seltos can not touch Creta atleast till the facelift comes out but even then I think Creta will be a better product and will win once the dust settles down.

- Similar way, Sonet is gonna beat Venue black and blue in sales. It is an overall better product and it looks much better. I don't see Venue winning this competition.

- Mahindra is sadly losing their way and current hype about Thar is a saving grace. I hope they are receiving tons of bookings for a fantastic product. Would love to see Mahindra come back the way Tata did. XUV5oo should shake few things as well.

- Star of 2020 is undoubtedly TATA, I love all their new cars and I would love to own a Hexa someday just to be grateful to TATA.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post

Also, I think the 2500 CBU quote included Tiguan Allspace vehicles too.

--Kalyan
That’s right. It includes the allspace. Only around 300 units of Allspace seems to have moved to the dealership. Assuming, they got all three in equal numbers, they still have more than 500 units of Allspace, whereas Karoq and T roc have almost fully moved to the dealers.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:56   #36
BHPian

Can someone clarify, is the Grand i10 mentioned in the top 10 sellers the Nios or the older generation car?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Can someone clarify, is the Grand i10 mentioned in the top 10 sellers the Nios or the older generation car?
It’s the Nios for sure. The older one hardly sells nowadays as it’s prices are higher than Nios. In fact I can’t understand why Hyundai still sells the older car. And for what they expect a customer to buy it over Nios.
Old 6th October 2020, 14:43   #38
BHPian

May be this is something I have missed earlier. But what is reasoning for keeping Karoq in the C2 group. Shouldn't it be in the D1 group, together with Compass. Even from a pricing point of view Karoq does not fit into the C2 group.

Can any of the Team-BHP support members explain ?

Anyways, Tata seems to be on a roll. I think they are benefitting from all the knowledge/IP from JLR acquisition....which sadly cannot be said of M&M (look at the XUV300 numbers - based on the Tivoli platform)

There is no stopping Hyundai/Kia duo. They will remain the Kings (or should I say Emperors) of mid-size SUVs. Sadly Jeep Compass should have been there, just that the Pricing is way off. My ambition to buy a Compass is declining day by day.

Last edited by shabash : 6th October 2020 at 14:45. Reason: Factual error corrected.
shabash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:48   #39
BHPian

Whoa! Three months ago, not many would've believed the numbers would be anywhere close to what we are seeing for the second half of 2020!
  • Maruti & Hyundai have bettered themselves on YoY terms, which is fabulous considering the current circumstances.

• The Tatas seems to have turned fortunes their way thanks to their new age offerings, Tiago, Nexon, Altroz and Harrier.

• Kia is cashing in on the success of the Seltos strategy and will look to further consolidate market share with the coming of the Sonet.

• The VM twins seem to be struggling with only the Polo and Rapid showing momentum. They will do well get their crossovers and mini SUVs out of the production lines quickly.

• As for Honda, they should probably just have the City and maybe add 2 more variants!
Old 6th October 2020, 15:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

As far as electric cars are concerned, Tata Nexon EV clocked 303 units, the first time it has crossed 300 units in a month. The ZS EV, even though priced much higher, raked in decent numbers at 127. The Kona is the biggest loser here, sales are abysmal at just 29 units.

September 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-screenshot_20201006152115__01.jpg

Source

Last edited by coolkurt : 6th October 2020 at 15:27.
Old 6th October 2020, 15:50   #41
BHPian

The table charts for detailed Make Model are missing, can someone from the mods team upload it? It is a very useful chart.

Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 16:52   #42

A big relief for us in auto component supplier industry. The job losses in the last few months have been alarming and in some cases tragic. Not to mention the pains experienced by our sub-suppliers and their employees. looked like no light at the end of the tunnel, but now ... bright sun!
Allterrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 17:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

India contributes 7% to Kia’s global sales of 260,023 units in September 2020.

September 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-smartselect_20201006173520_chrome.jpg

With 18,676 units in September 2020, Kia Motors India contributed 7.18% to Kia Motor Corp’s total sales of 260,023 units. The Sonet with 9,266 units and Seltos with 9,079 units were the big sellers.

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-inter...eptember-77377
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:06   #44
BHPian

India overtakes China to become Hyundai's biggest production centre outside Korea

Total sales volume till August 2020

India : 2,67,844 units
China : 2,62,621 units

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mon...21381.html/amp
ani21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 20:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Holy smokes the numbers are interesting! I for one feel this is a pent up sales which were people holding back during the Apr-July months with the lockdowns in various forms in India.

Mahindra: The lack of hatch backs is clearly hurting! Scorpio needs a refresh, XUV 500 needs to stop teasing us with refreshes, Marazzo sales needs to be pushed and you cannot just depend on Thar and Bolero to butter your bread! (After the initial hoopla, I think Thar will come down to under 1000 a month numbers). Also please kill models which are not contributing to sales but stealing resources away from good products.

Toyota: Still crying about high taxes? Or still focusing on rebadging the Ignis as a Killer SUV? When will you wake up and bring the Rav 4, Drop the prices of the Innova and Fortuner?

Tata: Great job! Good luck, please focus on getting more sales and following up with customers who walk in. Last time no one took my number after the test drive of the Harrier. Also focus on getting the SUV to compete with Creta and get the Hexa back! Or even a Safari if possible! Also do not let go of customers who bought your cars with terrible service! Could you please launch a Harrier pickup?

Maruti: Great going! Time to readjust your models in the top end. CIAZ and S Cross to get more footfalls. Also safety please.

Hyundai and Kia: Great going. Seem to have invested in good bean counters to get you the appropriate feedback. Also trying to sell the Tucson alongside a similar looking creta is going to be a hardsell.

VW and Skoda: Keep smoking the premium joint, soon the Koreans will outsmart you.

EV space: Impressive numbers and I feel there is a capacity issue here. More sales can come out of the vehicles here.

MG: Impressive car. Hows their service experience?

Maddy
Closed Thread

Most Viewed