Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th October 2020, 00:58   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Incentives that service advisors receive for upselling you unnecessary add-ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The tap water in the U.K. and here may not be comparable. I heard there one can drink tap water. Not possible here. Also the water may be hard and cause deposits.
Yes, UK tap water is fine to drink. It is chlorinated and delivered under pressure, which means that leakage is always out, not in. However, it may well be hard. London has particularly hard water; much harder than anything I've experienced in Chennai
Old 15th October 2020, 02:45   #122
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Incentives that service advisors receive for upselling you unnecessary add-ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Neither of these is needed if coolant is changed on schedule
Off course. I think, in India, coolant as a concentrate is more easily available than a ready pre mix. I do recall FCA India using a ready pre mix when I got a coolant flush done on my Linea.

For my 72" Fiat, I've always used a concentrate and add distilled water or just the latter if coolant isn't available.

Tap water, atleast in India, is a recipe for disaster. Guaranteed blown head gasket or worse, blown engine.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Most coolant concentrate brands in India proudly advertise that they will work with x ppm hardness of tap water but distilled water is far better especially in a city like Chennai where the groundwater is hard.

Using tap water simply means your radiator eventually starts looking like the inside of your geyser or the exterior of your taps with limescale deposits and worse because the radiator fluid is corrosive and forms salts with the limescale.

Buying premix coolant is a small added price compared to cleaning out a clogged radiator if you’re not able to chase your mechanic to use distilled water and he pours any random water he has available.

If you buy concentrated coolant and buy distilled water from the nearest petrol pump of course there’s nothing like it. You’re paying 20 rupees a liter distilled water and about 300 for a litre of coolant concentrate rather than paying 300x6 litres for one litre concentrate that has five litres of distilled water mixed in so that’s 400 rupees total not 1800 rupees.

Last edited by hserus : 15th October 2020 at 07:44.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:17   #124
BHPian

Distilled water does have chemicals and are not potable (if you have spilled them on the floor trying to refill the UPS battery, the floor might even develop small blisters and if you wipe using a cloth, the fabric will disintegrate shortly). I'd suggest you use an RO water or a branded bottled water instead.

Quote:
Most coolant concentrate brands in India proudly advertise that they will work with x ppm hardness of tap water but distilled water is far better especially in a city like Chennai where the groundwater is hard.

Using tap water simply means your radiator eventually starts looking like the inside of your geyser or the exterior of your taps with limescale deposits and worse because the radiator fluid is corrosive and forms salts with the limescale.

Buying premix coolant is a small added price compared to cleaning out a clogged radiator if you’re not able to chase your mechanic to use distilled water and he pours any random water he has available.

If you buy concentrated coolant and buy distilled water from the nearest petrol pump of course there’s nothing like it. You’re paying 20 rupees a liter distilled water and about 300 for a litre of coolant concentrate rather than paying 300x6 litres for one litre concentrate that has five litres of distilled water mixed in so that’s 400 rupees total not 1800 rupees.
Old 15th October 2020, 09:20   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Distilled water does have chemicals and are not potable (if you have spilled them on the floor trying to refill the UPS battery, the floor might even develop small blisters and if you wipe using a cloth, the fabric will disintegrate shortly). I'd suggest you use an RO water or a branded bottled water instead.
There are stabilising elements in battery spec distilled water is all and it is mildly acidic not the lab spec ph0 distilled water. It is far safer to use it in batteries and radiators than RO can water or tap water though.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:26   #126
BHPian

Quote:
There are stabilising elements in battery spec distilled water is all and it is mildly acidic not the lab spec ph0 distilled water. It is far safer to use it in batteries and radiators than RO can water or tap water though.
Agree it might need some chemicals so as to become better conductive or ionization in case of batteries? But the RO water has nothing in them and should be safe to use in radiators.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree it might need some chemicals so as to become better conductive or ionization in case of batteries? But the RO water has nothing in them and should be safe to use in radiators.
RO water has minerals including calcium added to reconstitute the “drinking water” taste after it is distilled through the reverse osmosis process. That makes it unsafe for use in radiators.

Adding a mildly acidic distilled water to an already acidic coolant is not a big deal on the other hand. Stick to battery distilled water don’t use tap or bisleri for this.
hserus is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 13:31   #128
Senior - BHPian

Guys battery water should be closer to ph7. Ph 0 is concentrated acid. I have used distilled battery water for hand cleaning my records, and both my hands and records were very much intact after several hours of immersion in them.
Old 15th October 2020, 13:35   #129
BHPian

Quote:
My understanding is that distilled water should not have any additives (or more realistically anything below a certain very minimal level). So I am wondering if actually distilled water is being used?
RO water has more liberal limits.

Regarding the point raised by Thad, I recall dad keeping distilled water in the car in the 80s. It was used to fill up the radiator even then.
Old 15th October 2020, 14:00   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raman.aries View Post
I wonder how many customers are getting fleeced like this every day.
Here is one poor customer who got fleeced by the dealer. In my last service I found this on my Invoice after returning home and it costed me Rs 1100+ I guess. Lesson Learnt!
#ABTorquey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 16:08   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Guys battery water should be closer to ph7. Ph 0 is concentrated acid. I have used distilled battery water for hand cleaning my records, and both my hands and records were very much intact after several hours of immersion in them.
My mistake it has been over two decades since chemistry classes :( Correct ph7 for neutral distilled water.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 17:44   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...But now, we can actually see how they receive commissions for the same. ...
Additionally there are monthly upsell targets - those incentives can be >30% of salary.
Old 15th October 2020, 17:47   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Back in the old days of radiator caps before sealed systems, tap water would do. and people would just top up as needed. I don't know when distilled water became necessary, and why?
I am not quite sure either. So I thought I would look up a really old car owners manual. Here it is: A reproduction of the original T-Ford manual.

If anything, it is a real hoot to read! https://www.mtfca.com/books/1926Inst.htm

But it also very clear the T-Ford had just regulator water in the radiator. But at the same time they do warn for
Quote:
) improper circulation of water due to clogged or jammed radiator tubes, leaky connections or low water.
Which is another way of saying that really you should use distilled water only. Maybe in those days distilled water as we know it today was simply not available to the public at large.

I certainly remember the days where at every petrol station there would be a watering can and an oil can. Every car, whilst being filled up with petrol, would have the engine hood lifted and the service attendant would add water and oil. (Remarkably everybody also got their oil topped up from the very same can. One size/type fits all!

I do remember at some point in time some of those watering cans got “distilled” written on them. And they would have a seperate watering can for filling up your window washer reservoir with regular tap water.

Those days are long gone of course!

Certainly the production of fresh water was very different then it is today. What that means for the amounts of minerals in tap water over the years/decades I do not know. I would expect these days more minerals are added to tap water than decades ago. Water treatment these days, apart from the amount of mineral in the base water, do add calcium, magnesium, potassium etc.

These days just about all car engines (and just about any engine for that matter) are not run/cooled on (distilled) water alone. Modern coolants are a marvel of chemical Technology and apart the obvious cooling do much more. They are essential in preserving the inside of the various coolant components and to some extend help reduce wear in coolant pump.

I have been using pre-mix on all my cars for probably more than a decade, if not longer. The most important / relevant question to ask yourself when deciding to add coolant: What is in the system now? There are different colours of coolant and they usually (but not always) pertain to different kind of engines. So you really need to understand and track what you have in your radiator, before topping up. Some of these fancy coolant just don’t mix well. Worse, some will definitely harm parts of your engine, enable corroding rather then prevent it.

There are also long life coolants and again they might come in different colours too! You really need to check the specification of the coolant against your car’s recommended coolant or you could find yourself in trouble over time.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 18:16   #134
BHPian

I had a very good experience when I went for the Paid service of My Kia Seltos. The SA did not ask for anything out of the ordinary whereas he was ready to show me in person the condition of each component and advised me on what to be done which was inline as per my research online. This was contrary to the Hyundai service centers which I am used to as they will show a huge hesitation when I insist on seeing each part which they mention needs a change/replacement.

Last edited by aswinpattath : 15th October 2020 at 18:31.
aswinpattath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 18:19   #135
BHPian

I had a very good experience when I went for the Paid service of My Kia Seltos. The SA did not ask for anything out of the ordinary whereas he was ready to show me in person the condition of each component and advised me on what to be done which was inline as per my research online. This was contrary to the Hyundai service centres which I am used to as they will show a huge hesitation when I insist on seeing each part which they mention needs a change/replacement.

Most Viewed