Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th October 2020, 19:24   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
My question is why are they using an old body shell that has already done lots of testing
Maybe because it would be hard to drive an under development new engine on road without a body. So, they choose the existing body without taking the pains to also develop a new body shell for testing. I maybe wrong though.
Old 11th October 2020, 20:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Maybe because it would be hard to drive an under development new engine on road without a body. So, they choose the existing body without taking the pains to also develop a new body shell for testing. I maybe wrong though.
It's common sense that they have to use an existing body. What they are using is the pre-facelift one, not the current one.
Old 11th October 2020, 21:56   #18
BHPian

I won’t be surprised if they introduce CNG kit to Baleno

Fun aside, I also believe it to be hybrid tech that might be coming to Baleno because MSIL & enthusiasts thirst-quenching funda doesn’t go hand in hand.
Old 11th October 2020, 22:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
There is a speculation on Suzuki working on the 1.2L turbo engine. Could this be on test in the spotted Baleno?
This would see me replace my current RS with it! Provided they have some decent specs on it. 120 bhp and 200 Nm!

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 12th October 2020, 17:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Possibilities are that these cars might be testing the BS6 version of the 1.0L RS Motor or maybe they just took the old cars out for a spin?(Should not be the case as the number plates are in the new format!)

My guess is that they are either testing the BS6 1.0L Boosterjet(I hope this is true) or probably a stronger hybrid version (remember the 32kmpl Swift from the Auto Expo '20??)

Someone above said that they could be testing the 1.5L diesel BS6. But that doesn't make sense as a few Ertiga prototypes with the same engine were spotted on test a few months back.
Also, testing the diesel on the Baleno instead of the Ciaz, Brezza or S-Cross doesn't make sense as the latter ones are the ones which require a diesel engine and not the Baleno!

Since the new i20 and Altroz turbo petrol are just around the corner, it could be that Maruti might be planning to re-introduce their old engine in the BS6 form? (I hope they are! )
These are the most logical predictions IMO. Maruti has mentioned on many occasions that, for hatchbacks like Baleno, swift, Wagon-R etc, diesel does not make sense cost-wise and they will focus on CNG(already done) and electrification/Hybrids. With almost every OEM in India now having Turbo-Petrol engines, it makes sense for Maruti to re-introduce the 1.0LTR BoosterJet turbo-petrol as it can be plonked in hatchbacks as well as Ciaz, Brezza & S-cross.

The strong hybrid too with 32kmpl totally makes sense for an OEM like Maruti which has great focus on fuel-efficiency("Kitna Deti Hai"). Will help it pull the cost(fuel) sensitive public towards them in India.
Old 13th October 2020, 00:32   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
There is a speculation on Suzuki working on the 1.2L turbo engine. Could this be on test in the spotted Baleno?
Speaking of this reminds me of this Ciaz which was spotted with Baleno alloy wheels back in December here. This particular car wasn't spotted ever again and still remains a mystery, but Gaadiwaadi suggested that it could be having the same 1.2L turbo under the hood.

Yes, a 1.2L 4 cylinder turbocharged is needed as most budget affordable are unrefined 3 cylinders and a 4 cylinder turbo petrol from Maruti could be the best possible definition of a small capacity turbocharged engine. However, with the likes of the Ciaz and Baleno set to replaced in a few years from now, does selling a brand new on these cars make sense?
Though if Maruti decides to do a 1.2L turbo on the current crop of cars, the Ciaz might be just the perfect car for a proper budget 'RS' sedan as the current Ciaz RS already looks red hot! Launch this car with all wheel disc brakes, a turbo and a tweaked suspension, and the Ciaz might be the most desirable amongst the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
I feel Maruti will stay away from plonking Turbo in their petrol cars. All their cars sell because of good fuel efficiency. Plonking a turbo will negate the USP that Maruti has.
The Altroz, i20 and the Polo are the three most prominent rivals of the Baleno and have or are soon going to be turbocharged and the Baleno, which was the second turbocharged car in the segment no longer has a turbo.
I guess these reasons must be enough for them to launch a new 1.2L turbo or the older 1.0 in its 110hp tune on the Baleno.

Quote:
If I take a wild guess, they most probably would be testing a 1.5 petrol with or without hybrid (both probably provided by Toyota). Toyota already has technology ready which can be easily paired with thier own engines.
Doesn't make sense as the Baleno would not get tax benefits then!

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 13th October 2020 at 00:35.
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 06:24   #22
BHPian

Maybe they are testing a "Limited" Diwali edition.
anish5225 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed